Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton vs Blackpool

Comments

• Options

JamesSeed said:

Pantomime season is well & truly underway in S E London with the man in black , AKA "Dick" Busby - Whittington, ensuring he was the main character at the finish of today's matinee performance.

The Fairy Godmother waved her magic wand late this afternoon to conjure a free kick out of nothing for the Tangerines and the rest is history..a draw that the Seasiders barely deserved.

After a decent first half with both highs & lows for the home side, our enforced changes appeared to be less of a problem than most of us feared before kick off. Indeed, the young guns, on the whole, did themselves proud with Joe the cream of the crop against a mediocre Blackpool eleven. With his team mates seemingly frightened of carrying the ball forward any distance, our young player appeared full of confidence as he made his way to within shooting distance of our opponents' goal & finished off the move with apparent ease. However the downside is that Roland will no doubt be rubbing his hands already in anticipation of yet another late Xmas present to himself....More chances were there for the taking when it seemed easier to miss than to score but this side doesn't "do" easy, it seems.

The second half saw a more spirited approach from the away team who began to exert their strength against our less robust players with Reeves especially shrugged aside with worrying ease. I felt Leon was showing some decent attributes & enjoying a better afternoon than he'd previously had but around the hour mark, he went down & failed to recover form the knock. Wouldn't you just know it ? Karlan replaced him and didn't disgrace himself but all the time, Blackpool were making life more difficult for us whilst posing more threats at the other end.

Although I still cannot see what Marshall offers to our team, I wasn't happy to see him replaced by young George at this stage of what was clearly now a tight game. Whilst he did exchange sublime close passes with Joe soon after his introduction, he was unable to make any further impact although it was great to witness his debut and his time will come....Roland permitting.

So, eschewing the usual happy ending to the Xmas fairytales we're used to viewing, the inevitable happened a minute into the 5 of added time as 5pm approached, sending the faithful home disappointed but not totally surprised. With the news of Wigan's exploits at Oxford today, we have to wonder whether our trip next Friday will be an ill advised one and we'll be travelling more with hope than expectation. But that's what we do....

Whilst we inevitably bemoan the inability of our lads to finish off the opposition by taking the chances created, and whilst we acknowledge the ridiculous amount of injuries to key players at this moment in time, it's crystal clear wherein the crux of our situation lies.....and why our manager is forced to rely on players barely out of our Academy with little hope of replenishing the squad this season. No prize for correctly answering that question.

Health, happiness & a degree of prosperity for us, our families and friends is top of my Xmas wish list to Santa.

I bet you can guess the second one.....

( And it's not a half year season ticket)

I think Lapslie came on up at Rochdale earlier in the season? Or was it Oldham?
    Duly edited with thanks, JS.
    Hangs head in shame @Fanny Fanackapan. He was an unused sub. Just remembered him bombing up and down the touchline. I’m getting on a bit now you know.
  • Options

We are shockingly bad. That was yet another game in which the opposing keeper did not have to make a single save in the entire second half. We are at home, 'attacking' the Covered End. Not one single save. That is inexcusable.

A neat goal from Aribo in the first half, and a couple of probing runs from him. That's all. Our midfield is hopelessly weak: Reeves pirouettes back into trouble with every move; Marshall is unable to get past a defender.

We all know we have no strikers. Magennis is not a goalscorer. Just look at Leon Best's career stats and wonder why on earth he was signed. We should buy two proper strikers and coach a partnership in a 4-4-2 formation. It will take a full summer, and another manager, at least.

Meanwhile, we simply don't have the faintest chance of scoring the goals to secure a play-off place.

Hit the nail on the head. I don't like sacking managers, but if KR can't see the error of his ways & can't actually start coaching a pair of strikers that can work together then he can pack his bags & go. Players at this level can't play like De Bryne & Aguero or Deli Ali & Kane - just play 4-4-2 & get the ball up to the strikers without making 24 passes along the back 6
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Pantomime season is well & truly underway in S E London with the man in black , AKA "Dick" Busby - Whittington, ensuring he was the main character at the finish of today's matinee performance.

The Fairy Godmother waved her magic wand late this afternoon to conjure a free kick out of nothing for the Tangerines and the rest is history..a draw that the Seasiders barely deserved.

After a decent first half with both highs & lows for the home side, our enforced changes appeared to be less of a problem than most of us feared before kick off. Indeed, the young guns, on the whole, did themselves proud with Joe the cream of the crop against a mediocre Blackpool eleven. With his team mates seemingly frightened of carrying the ball forward any distance, our young player appeared full of confidence as he made his way to within shooting distance of our opponents' goal & finished off the move with apparent ease. However the downside is that Roland will no doubt be rubbing his hands already in anticipation of yet another late Xmas present to himself....More chances were there for the taking when it seemed easier to miss than to score but this side doesn't "do" easy, it seems.

The second half saw a more spirited approach from the away team who began to exert their strength against our less robust players with Reeves especially shrugged aside with worrying ease. I felt Leon was showing some decent attributes & enjoying a better afternoon than he'd previously had but around the hour mark, he went down & failed to recover form the knock. Wouldn't you just know it ? Karlan replaced him and didn't disgrace himself but all the time, Blackpool were making life more difficult for us whilst posing more threats at the other end.

Although I still cannot see what Marshall offers to our team, I wasn't happy to see him replaced by young George at this stage of what was clearly now a tight game. Whilst he did exchange sublime close passes with Joe soon after his introduction, he was unable to make any further impact although it was great to witness his debut and his time will come....Roland permitting.

So, eschewing the usual happy ending to the Xmas fairytales we're used to viewing, the inevitable happened a minute into the 5 of added time as 5pm approached, sending the faithful home disappointed but not totally surprised. With the news of Wigan's exploits at Oxford today, we have to wonder whether our trip next Friday will be an ill advised one and we'll be travelling more with hope than expectation. But that's what we do....

Whilst we inevitably bemoan the inability of our lads to finish off the opposition by taking the chances created, and whilst we acknowledge the ridiculous amount of injuries to key players at this moment in time, it's crystal clear wherein the crux of our situation lies.....and why our manager is forced to rely on players barely out of our Academy with little hope of replenishing the squad this season. No prize for correctly answering that question.

Health, happiness & a degree of prosperity for us, our families and friends is top of my Xmas wish list to Santa.

Hangs head in shame @Fanny Fanackapan. He was an unused sub. Just remembered him bombing up and down the touchline. I’m getting on a bit now you know.
    FFS, JS !

Lol, not to worry. Today was his home debut after all !
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

FFS, JS !

Lol, not to worry. Today was his home debut after all !
    Should've checked with your resident Northern correspondent :wink:
  • Options

mogodon said:

That's 10,000? Seriously looks like 6,000 at best.
    That pic is not taken during play tho. Before kick off or half time?? Was fuller..... but not by much!!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Can’t even be arsed to talk about the game because it was lacking any quality ( apart from Aribos goal ) and at times resembled a kick about in the park. The only other thing I will point out is how poor the ref was today.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

cafc4life said:

Why do we always get this crude, morlock-like stench of unintelligence on here when we don't win.

We are missing 8 key players. We were comfortable for 89 minutes of the game today and had 2 clear chances to score. Yes we conceeded in the last minute which is disappointing, but in my view, we were clearly the better side.

The reaction on here is suicidal. We've got people calling for Robinson's head (a suggestion so stupid you should be banned for mentioning it) and others just posting the usual whingy Roland-out tripe.

When players come back, we'll have a much stronger 2nd half of the season. Until then, can we please have some original content.

We've been shit all season in an extremely shit league. Even when we have our strongest 11 available , tell me how many games we've been excellent? Our manager is costing us points by not trying to win games properly and trying to hold on to 1-0s. The squad is extremely weak down to our owner , who doesn't give a fuck. Please ban me for wanting my football club to be doing much better than it currently is. Sad we got fans that think everything is Rosy. Pathetic
    No we haven’t been shit all season. Sorry, but what an ill-considered remark.
    Last season we were shit almost all of the time. With virtually no money spent we’re better this season, but without real investment do you really expect us to be running away with the League One title?
    Eight key players out, and even in this awful league you’re going to struggle.
    Tell me one game we've played where we've been excellent for at least 60 minutes?

We haven't.
  • Options

mogodon said:

10k, more than 1 in 3 seats occupied, take away the JS stand, means nearly every other seat being used. No way looking at the photo.
    I stand(not very high) corrected but ALL clubs have to publish gates with all tickets issued regardless of whether people attend. I have never understood the criticism.

However, looking at that picture a 1 in 4 bums on seats would suggest about 7,000 in the ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Thought we played some decent stuff in first 45 but missed our chances. Second half we were hopeless and sat back far too deep - lucky to get a point in the end.

Marshall was very poor and the Sarr-Konsa pairing didn't work. On the basis of what I saw from Lapslie it must rank as one of the worst performances I've seen - he really looked dreadful.

Reeves did some good stuff including an amazing pass to Da Silva in the first half.

I don’t get the Sarr criticism on here. One or two misplaced passes yes, and was it his weak clearing header that ultimately led to their goal?But most of the time he was perfectly ok. He’s just a scapegoat figure for some of you.

Reeves I think is too lightweight for this league.

I doubt we’ll see Lapslie again for a long time, if at all.

And for anyone saying the players don’t care, the pitch was littered with prone bodies after the final whistle. It was as if they’d lost an FA Cup final.
    That was because they'd lost their win bonus.
  • Options

We are shockingly bad. That was yet another game in which the opposing keeper did not have to make a single save in the entire second half. We are at home, 'attacking' the Covered End. Not one single save. That is inexcusable.

A neat goal from Aribo in the first half, and a couple of probing runs from him. That's all. Our midfield is hopelessly weak: Reeves pirouettes back into trouble with every move; Marshall is unable to get past a defender.

We all know we have no strikers. Magennis is not a goalscorer. Just look at Leon Best's career stats and wonder why on earth he was signed. We should buy two proper strikers and coach a partnership in a 4-4-2 formation. It will take a full summer, and another manager, at least.

Meanwhile, we simply don't have the faintest chance of scoring the goals to secure a play-off place.

Hit the nail on the head. I don't like sacking managers, but if KR can't see the error of his ways & can't actually start coaching a pair of strikers that can work together then he can pack his bags & go. Players at this level can't play like De Bryne & Aguero or Deli Ali & Kane - just play 4-4-2 & get the ball up to the strikers without making 24 passes along the back 6
    Don’t want us to become another Wimbledon or Millwall. We’d have to change 80% of the squad in order to play the long ball game.
    But I do agree we need to mix up our tactics sometimes, as we're too predictable. Leon Best offers a better outlet than Magennis if you do want to lump it forward. But we’ll look much better with Fosu and Holmes back.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Nicholas said:

Piss of Robinson. Your time is up. You tried to suck off Roland and Katrien as did Slade, Peters, Luzon on the other desperate losers. However you were left short and now your paying the price. No excuses anymore, walk away and tell everyone how shit the owners are. You won’t though because you desperate shite manager that will take anything you can get like the other wankers.

So which players should have played instead then from our huge squad? How is it the managers fault that we have no depth in the squad? This problem is down to the owners and lack of squad depth, etc.

So if it was Robinson’s fault then name me a manager that could have prevented Lapslie from giving the ball away every time he kicked it? Yes I agree it’s too early for him but we had no one else!

From what your post states you are claiming that Robinson has had enough backing from the owners and it’s his fault entirely........ok mate.
    What are you on about? I'm stating and have always stated Robinson is a little bitch, just like Peeters was, just like Slade was just like Luzon was and all the others. They take on the job never get backed properly. They get a half decent 11 together but never a squad They then spout bollocks and lie and tell us we wasn't able to get our targets for one reason or another. They do the upmost best to tell us how wonderful Katiren is and how Roland doesnt interfere. They then ended up playing that same 11 week in week out never resting them when they pick up niggles and by the time winter comes along those niggles become more serious and all of a sudden the squad is knackered. ANY manager who is desperate enough to work for these lot in charge is just another puppet. It's the same shit every season but so many fall for it over and over again because we had a decent start.

Oh and playing Maginnes on the left 2 games in a row should be instant dismissal anyway.
    A bit more direct than I'd put it, but the man is spot on.
  • Options
    If Karl is sacked it won't be by Mickey or Minnie who run the club at the moment. It will be by a new owner as Mickey and Minnie are looking to sell. They have had enough of their toy.
  • Options
    I am finding this thread more depressing than the game. Agree with JamesSeed.
  • Options
    Technically we have earned a point. 1 point than we had this morning. Maybe not well earned. But we have earned a point because we got a draw and a draw is worth 1 point.
  • Options

mogodon said:

10k, more than 1 in 3 seats occupied, take away the JS stand, means nearly every other seat being used. No way looking at the photo.
    I stand(not very high) corrected but ALL clubs have to publish gates with all tickets issued regardless of whether people attend. I have never understood the criticism.

However, looking at that picture a 1 in 4 bums on seats would suggest about 7,000 in the ground.
    I think the point is that we have a larger than average discrepancy because of 1) cheap season tickets and 2) higher numbers of (unused) comps. This in turn makes the official attendance ridiculous - even if there is a rationale behind it.
  • Options

mogodon said:

I think the point is that we have a larger than average discrepancy because of 1) cheap season tickets and 2) higher numbers of (unused) comps. This in turn makes the official attendance ridiculous - even if there is a rationale behind it.
    I normally take off 25% from the official attendance. Certainly over the past two seasons.
  • Options

Controlled the game well enough after going one up.

Most players played ok. Nobody terrible. Could have been 4-0 up at halftime.

Then.... the longer it went on, the more you could feel that we could get that same old sinking feeling at the end.

For me, the decision to bring Lapslie on at 1-0 up with 15 to play, or whatever, was baffling. Like.... you what?!?! That’s not the time to hand a youngster his league debut, is it? Fragile lead held by an understrength side. No way. Maybe at 2-0. Fine at 3-0, but not like that.

I thought the kid looks like he deffo has something about him and I look forward to seeing more of him, but it seems to me that his manager has let him down there. After a bright start, he made a couple of slip ups and then seemed to go to pieces and things went wrong for him every time he got near the ball. Reminiscent of Piggot vs Millwall a few years back.

Am not digging the young lad out. No way. As I say, I can see he has a bit about him....

...but what the hell was Robinson doing putting him on? It looked to me like a pre-planned decision rather than one that responded to the situation on the field- which, if I’m right, also seems wrong to me.

Anyway.... got a point with a horrific injury list. Still 6th with game in hand.

Merry hoho one and all

Probably just setting up the shop window for the January sales...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Thought we played some decent stuff in first 45 but missed our chances. Second half we were hopeless and sat back far too deep - lucky to get a point in the end.

Marshall was very poor and the Sarr-Konsa pairing didn't work. On the basis of what I saw from Lapslie it must rank as one of the worst performances I've seen - he really looked dreadful.

Reeves did some good stuff including an amazing pass to Da Silva in the first half.

I don’t get the Sarr criticism on here. One or two misplaced passes yes, and was it his weak clearing header that ultimately led to their goal?But most of the time he was perfectly ok. He’s just a scapegoat figure for some of you.

And for anyone saying the players don’t care, the pitch was littered with prone bodies after the final whistle. It was as if they’d lost an FA Cup final.
    What!!!!! Your comment re Lapslie is out of order. Are you trying to destroy our youngsters. How old is he? I am sure those who follow our youngsters will confirm he is very talented. IT may be be before his time but to say that is IDIOTIC.
  • Options

Nug said:

clb74 said:

The Scouser must go

I’m not a massive fan of Robinson but there’s only one bloke (and woman) that must go right now.
    We cannot chop and change again. He needs more time. If say ten games into next season we are not improved then may be look at the situtation. Keeping him right now is more pragmatic than not keeping him.
    I'm finding it hard to comprehend this belief that it's fine for this season to carry on as at present (where ending with a whimper might be deemed an achievement), and give KR the continued benefit of the doubt. Apart from the obvious inference that it means Duchatelet will still be with us, I just don't think Robinson's up to it.

If he cannot change things, even just by demonstrating a willingness to consider some tactical flexibility, I cannot see how things would improve next season, whether we give him ten games or, if they were available, 110 - I very much doubt that we can get the players in this Division to play his preferred style effectively (he was lucky to have Alli and a few others at MK with more ability, once they were gone, so was Robinson's Midas touch). Other managers can react to our style of play and put the ball in our net, if Robinson doesn't have the nous to do the same now, he won't have it next season.

And, if the answer is to bring in an older and wiser head to the coaching team, why not make that person manager, and KR assistant - he might learn from the experience.
  • Options
    Shame to hear Lapslie struggled, was he really that bad? He seems to be really highly rated and has had a decent season thus far in the checkatrade etc
  • Options
    Would have taken 1-1 before the game given the line up. That was before I realised how lamentably bad Blackpool were. Utter, utter chuff. At half time I was quite happy albeit cold and bored. That second half performance though was a shocker. And our two star signings I’m afraid look like duds to me. Not wrist slitting stuff yet although this season is quickly assuming premature ejaculation status. It’s the hope that kills.

I’ve been hard on Holmes, Kashi and others in recent weeks. Bloody hell do we miss them when they are not there!!!
  • Options
    WSA said:

Shame to hear Lapslie struggled, was he really that bad? He seems to be really highly rated and has had a decent season thus far in the checkatrade etc

Lapslie's one-two pass with Aribo when he came on was sublime. The talent is there, it just didn't work out for him on this occasion, he was too rushed. Totally Robinson's fault for putting him on at a critical point in the game.
    Someone else said it looked pre planned. Robinson is petulant enough to have sent him on to then say to Roland that the young players aren’t ready and we need to invest
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    redman said:

JamesSeed said:

What!!!!! Your comment re Lapslie is out of order. Are you trying to destroy our youngsters. How old is he? I am sure those who follow our youngsters will confirm he is very talented. IT may be be before his time but to say that is IDIOTIC.
    Not sure if you meant me or @hoof_it_up_to_benty @redman? His quote didn't appear in your post, whereas mine did.

I wasn't digging him out, I just meant he shouldn't have been brought on for a debut at a time like that. Hardly ideal. It now means we probably won't see him again this season, as that would be too much pressure. How many injuries did it take for him to get his chance? It's unlikely that similar circumstances would arise again.

I was actually saying to the people I was with how lively he looked in his first five or ten minutes - the interplay with Aribo leading to his blocked shot was excellent; but then it went wrong for him. So my comment wasn't an attempt to 'destroy' a youngster at all (if you did mean me). It was born out of frustration with the circumstances. But on reflection, I can see how you might have inferred that from the wording.
    It would be great to see him given other chances, probably next season, when he's more ready, perhaps in cup competitions out of the spotlight. Or when we're a couple of goals up - but how often does that happen?!

[edit: Btw, does anyone else remember Gary Waddock of QPR? Incredibly popular player with the fans, full of boundless energy and enthusiasm, in the Nobby Styles mould. Lapslie is a footballing dead ringer.

Just watched the short highlights on VP...
    Agonising watching Best 'missing' from his two chances. Had he scored even one of them we'd all be far more positive on this post match views thread. Gutted for him really, as he must be desperate to do well. I thought that apart from the misses it was a proper centre forward's performance from him.

Of course I'm also looking for an excuse for Naby's poor defensive header, and perhaps there is one. As the free kick came in he had to back pedal to get his head on the ball. It's impossible to get power on a header if you're back pedaling. Had his clearance been an ordinary header it would be fair to criticise him.
    Perhaps he should have back headed it out for a corner though, but that wouldn't have been easy either.