Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This season is in serious danger of fizzling out (AGAIN)...

Comments

• Options
    We was a great run. Then we had a 3 week break from the league with the international break which saw Shreewsbury called off. In that 3 weeks we had our FA Cup game with Truro. An either side of that we had the 2 Checkatrade group games between Fulham U21s and Pompey. Then we came back from that annd that 3 weeks has knocked us off our stride a wee bit with only 1 win from 5. Think we are more than capable of getting back on track and if we end up in the play offs we will have the same chance as all other 3 sides in the play-offs of winning them as well as the same chance as the same chance as the other 3 sides in the play-offs of losing out in them be it in the semis or the final itself.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

clb74 said:

It’s a season of 46 league matches spread over the August to May period. Every team will have one or two spells where they are not firing on all cylinders. We seem to have stumbled but are still 6th, with a 3 point cushion on the team below us and a game in hand. Our blip is occurring just before the January transfer window, probably the best time to have one because it focuses everybody’s attention on the always necessary requirement of bringing in one or two extra faces in January to freshen things up and strengthen the side where it’s needed.

You were doing very well until you mentioned the strengthening of the team.

Couple of fresh faces in January and we will then push on.
    Like we did in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 Januay transfer windows? After they closed we were then told how players are too expensive in January.

We'll probably bring in a few loans or unwanted players going cheap. We'll be hoping they do well rather than expecting them to, just as usual.

With RD talking about selling he's unlikely to spend what's required (and no that doesn't need to be millions).

I think we're far more likely to push on if a takeover goes through soon.
    I really can’t see us signing anyone under RD in January either free or loans. I think Best will be given to the end of the season but if KAG scores a few more before then even that may not happen.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    clb74 said:

It’s a season of 46 league matches spread over the August to May period. Every team will have one or two spells where they are not firing on all cylinders. We seem to have stumbled but are still 6th, with a 3 point cushion on the team below us and a game in hand. Our blip is occurring just before the January transfer window, probably the best time to have one because it focuses everybody’s attention on the always necessary requirement of bringing in one or two extra faces in January to freshen things up and strengthen the side where it’s needed.

In reality what will happen is this. Konsa will leave, 95% of the money will end up in Belgium and Robinson will have a couple of hundred grand to “strengthen”. We will probably sign a midfielder on loan and a non goal scoring striker to go along side the other non goal scoring ones we have at the club.
    Kashi is out of contract in the summer, so we will probably let accept a nominal fee for him as well - then we will be fu@ked. When he doesn’t play we struggle.

We will be lucky to be in contention of the play offs come March - unless Robinson is backed, he deserves to be given that opportunity.
  • Options
    Robinson sets teams up in only one way. When it’s working and the key players are firing it’s good to watch and effective. The nature of football dictates that’s not always going to happen. You need an alternative and that’s KR’s Achilles heel. He’s far too one dimensional as a manager. I will concede that having only Magennis as a main striker has limited his options and it’s obvious he needs resting. Best is onboard and needs to step up to the plate. January is nearly here and a striker is the bare minimum. Rumours of Godden worry me as I don’t think he’s the answer. His goals this season are no better than Big Mag. I will now be happy with a sixth place finish. Even that’s looking 50/50.
  • Options

Robinson sets teams up in only one way. When it’s working and the key players are firing it’s good to watch and effective. The nature of football dictates that’s not always going to happen. You need an alternative and that’s KR’s Achilles heel. He’s far too one dimensional as a manager. I will concede that having only Magennis as a main striker has limited his options and it’s obvious he needs resting. Best is onboard and needs to step up to the plate. January is nearly here and a striker is the bare minimum. Rumours of Godden worry me as I don’t think he’s the answer. His goals this season are no better than Big Mag. I will now be happy with a sixth place finish. Even that’s looking 50/50.

Agree re Godden. We need a different type of striker to Magennis - preferably one that looks like he is going to score (at the right end!). I think Magennis would benefit from a bit of competition. At the moment he knows his place in the team is assured. Most teams would hook a striker that’s not scoring, we don’t really have that option at the moment. Most of all though, the bloke needs a rest - he’s played the majority of out games and for Northern Ireland as well.
  • Options

Won't get out of this league without a more physical team and a better manager.

Won't get a better manager while the clowns are in charge.

The only good thing is the longer it goes on the more money Roland looses.

Is that good? The more he loses the more he will want to recoup on a sale.

How many times does it take for some people to understand that it will just be added to the Charlton debt pile !!.

Is that a line from Bob Dylan singing "Blowin' in the wind" ?

• Options
    I'm more worried about who we're going to lose in January rather than who we're going to bring in.
  • Options

I'm more worried about who we're going to lose in January rather than who we're going to bring in.

1 out, almost 2 in
  • Options

Paper thin squad starting to show cracks again. Happens season after season.

We need reinforcements in key areas to give us a much needed boost but without new owners, I don't see any incoming transfers during the January window.

Sell the club Roland.

Yep, nothing to do with Manager. Same problem every single season under Roland, no depth to the squad at all. You'd have to do incredibly well to get promoted with only one half-decent striker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When the season started, I was worried about a relegation battle. I thought the squad was way too thin and not enough goals in it by along way. Fosu and Foster-Caskey have been a real bonus with their goals I wouldn't have expected and being around the playoff places is much better than I was fearing. But the problems are all still there. Not enough goals, not enough creativity, not enough depth in the squad. It's all starting to bite now. Magennis looks absolutely knackered at the moment and the only help he's getting is Leon Best. Nothing spells ambition for promotion like signing an unemployed striker on a temp 6 week contract.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

The only fresh faces we will see under Roly is more youth players when Roly flogs anyone worth anything in our first team.
  • Options

I fear that we are going to become the next Sheffield Utd.
    Just stagnating in League 1, for 6 or 7 seasons until a decent Manager turns up who knows how to get out of this god forsaken league.

Clearly Robinson has not got the tactical nous to turn things around. Every home game this season has been the same. Next to no shots on target and no plan B.

He persists with Magennis week after week when Magannis does fuck all.
    Why doesn’t he at least try 442 with KAG and Best. We couldn’t be any worse off.

This season is fast dying on its feet and Robinson hasn’t got a clue what to do about it.

Dear oh dear!

Who the hell do you think Robinson could have played instead of Magennis then?

Up to the last couple of games KAG has been shit all season, we've only just signed Best, who's shite anyway, which leaves Dodoo who is also shite!

KR has said for months now that he needs a striker or two, let's hope he is backed in the window!
  • Options
    We've played so badly lately I am amazed we are still top 6.
  • Options
    The top six is calculated on points won not how you play.

We are on a concerning run of results but over the 20 games played so far we deserve to be 6th because of the points we've earned.

Still another 78 points to play for, we're not out of it at all but the manager needs to react to what is happening, whoever the owner is needs to boost the squad and we need key players fit.

Promoted at Rochdale. Believe.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    In our last 9 League One matches...

We have scored one goal (or less) in 6 of them
    In the 3 matches we scored 2 goals, we have just one win among them
    We have not scored 3 or more goals in a L1 match since September.
    We have scored 10 total goals in the last 9 matches
    Palace have also scored 10 goals in their last 9 matches, in the PL.

Just sayin. We have kinda stunk since October kicked in.
  • Options
    If we can get at least 7 or 8 from the festive games starting at Blackburn and finishing with Gills we should still be on course for the play-offs. But I target 10 to be more comfortable. That with a game in hand be it Shrewsbury.
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

Just stagnating in League 1, for 6 or 7 seasons until a decent Manager turns up who knows how to get out of this god forsaken league.

Clearly Robinson has not got the tactical nous to turn things around. Every home game this season has been the same. Next to no shots on target and no plan B.

Why doesn’t he at least try 442 with KAG and Best. We couldn’t be any worse off.

This season is fast dying on its feet and Robinson hasn’t got a clue what to do about it.

Dear oh dear!

Up to the last couple of games KAG has been shit all season, we've only just signed Best, who's shite anyway, which leaves Dodoo who is also shite!

KR has said for months now that he needs a striker or two, let's hope he is backed in the window!
    RD has never sufficiently backed his managers in any window.
    So true, so true!
  • Options

In our last 9 League One matches...

We have scored one goal (or less) in 6 of them
    In the 3 matches we scored 2 goals, we have just one win among them
    We have not scored 3 or more goals in a L1 match since September.
    We have scored 10 total goals in the last 9 matches
    Palace have also scored 10 goals in their last 9 matches, in the PL.

Just sayin. We have kinda stunk since October kicked in.

We've not scored 4 or more since I've started backing 4+ goals every week
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Essex_Al said:

Dear oh dear!

RD has never sufficiently backed his managers in any window.
    There's a first time for everything I suppose.
  • Options
    bellz2002 said:
    Its the hope that will kill you.
  • Options

People have mentioned Bauer & Pearce but for me Fosu is the one we miss. Attacking play has dried up massively without his goals and creatvity.

I think that's right but it's asking a lot of him to deliver that over 46 games.
  • Options

We will not pay a transfer fee in January. Even Leon Best has not been given contract till the end of the season. Potentially Best gets himself fit scores a few goals and he is off elsewhere. The moment KR confirmed RD asked about youth players instead of giving Best a normal contract confirmed no money will be spent.

I'm sure through it will be because everyone was holding us to ransom rather then an zero effort on our part.
  • Options
    This season is in serious danger of fizzling out
  • Options
    There was never any fizzle, where did the suggestion of fizzle come from? The only thing liberally sprinkled across our football for the last few years has been Roly's crusty old nutsack powder.....
  • Options
    no chance on autos and i've said that for a while. Blackburn, wigan will pull away i think, i would rather have a blip now than sit in one of the playoff spots all season to lose in playoffs, would much rather get a run going towards the end, also if we was sitting pretty in 3rd then karl "obviously" wouldn't need any funds.