Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options
    Cant believe people disregarding him just on his decision not to play out his contract, literally hes gone from a club legend to villian ala Scotty P.  

I get peoples frustrations, but he made a decision which is best for him. We dont know the full situation, he might not even had played... It might be due to his injury problems he couldn't afford to risk it so wants to find another club first or maybe there are other reasons to it. 

Personally i am sad to see it end this way, he is a legend for the club and has always given his all on the pitch and was great captain in spells. Its hard to let people go but some of the 'fuck him' remarks seem a bit over the top. 
    Same with Lyle Taylor.
    Both in the same boat as far as i'm concerned.
    Obviously Lyle hurts more as he was an important player this season but as far as we know they had similar motives....protecting their next contract.
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    LenGlover said:
    I cannot help but think Solly's absence is not as straightforward as assumed.

He has never been the most voluble or forthcoming and it might be that there are personal issues which are for him rather than the Club to disclose.

I have no knowledge and might be talking bollocks but I think you see something of the underlying personality of an individual by their attitude to their work and for 10 years Solly was as committed as any to the cause.

He simply doesn't strike me as the type to just walk away without good reason.
    Well, he ought to stand up and explain himself.  Right now he looks like a gutless shirker. He can fix that in a 10 minute interview.
    "The truth is that I have been struggling with my knee as I have for the last decade. In addition, LB sees me as third choice RB because he doesn't think I'm good enough. I hope that this appeases the fans and will enable me to get a new contract elsewhere".
    Good god, he's much better off staying quiet than saying that. That would basically be confirmation that he's thrown his toys out of the pram because he's not seen as important enough. That would be worse for his reputation than the silence. Why on earth would that appease the fans?
    Precisely. But that might be the truth of the situation. Apart from the fact that LB might have agreed that to keep quiet would be the way forward as he wasn't going to pick him anyway.
  • Options
    Solly is really an odd one to me.  Such a dedicated player who gave us 100%, it just seems odd the way it has ended unless there is more to the story.  Why not just turn up for training, go down with a fake injury and rule yourself out for a few weeks - with his record no one would have questioned it and he leaves a popular player (legend in my eyes previously).

He then has the ability as such a long servant of coming back at the end of his career and getting a coaching role or helping in a lounge or something.  I really thought he might be like a Peacock type figure as there are so few modern players who do 10 years + at a club.

Has he really thrown all that away to protect the chance of a couple of years contract at somewhere like Gillingham and then a long retirement where he is not welcome back at the club he spent 20 odd years (if you include his youth).  Just makes no sense.

On a side note, is that Man City fella, Smith with us.  Heard no mention of him.  Was shit anyway so glad he is nowhere near our squad.
    Bowyer said Smith was injured last weekend. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Cant believe people disregarding him just on his decision not to play out his contract, literally hes gone from a club legend to villian ala Scotty P.  

I get peoples frustrations, but he made a decision which is best for him. We dont know the full situation, he might not even had played... It might be due to his injury problems he couldn't afford to risk it so wants to find another club first or maybe there are other reasons to it. 

Personally i am sad to see it end this way, he is a legend for the club and has always given his all on the pitch and was great captain in spells. Its hard to let people go but some of the 'fuck him' remarks seem a bit over the top. 
    Same with Lyle Taylor.
    Both in the same boat as far as i'm concerned.
    Obviously Lyle hurts more as he was an important player this season but as far as we know they had similar motives....protecting their next contract.
    Agreed very similar, although Solly gave us 10 years +. Although i know he was a risk for other clubs so not necessarily out of choice. 

At first i have slated LT and still a bit sore over it, ultimately though its their future and just because LT has more people queuing up it doesn't mean Solly should just play through the pain when he still might have another contract in him. 

It is selfish , but the old argument what would you do, unless you know the facts which we wont we can only assume its hard to alienate him given the service he has given to this club. Just my two pennies and my opnion obviously people will always come down harshly and have their own cases.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    cafctom said:
    Still gutted it ended this way with someone who would have certainly gone down a Charlton legend at one point.

No send off, no ‘final game’, literally nothing.

It’s a real shame.

On that fateful Bad Friday when he got sent off, as he couldn't keep his hands by his side at the Den when we had a side to beat Millwall, will be my memory of Chris unfortunately. Going from 1-0 up to 2-1 defeat and walking down the old Kent Road after the mandatory 45 minutes to an hour being held back, getting soaked and feeling like Shite for the rest of that Easter weekend.

As my Analyst said to me recently, I need to move on and not keep bringing up shocking memories.

Amnesia is my only hope !
    The ball hit his face, I think he had a mark on his face afterwards and was trying to show the ref, but either way he was definitely adament it hit his face

It was 100% not a handball, said it at the time and I was right behind it and stand by it now
  • Options
    Imagine if we get an injury crisis to Matthews, Deji, George, his decision will look even more pathetic 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Equally sad that it has ended like this for Solly. Remember seeing him first as our best player in the F A Youth Cup defeat in 2009 to a very good Spurs side that had the likes of Andros Townsend, John Bostock, Jonathan Obika, Steven Caulker and Dean Parrett. 

Still believe that it is a reflection of his long term injury situation and the fact is that he has only started 12 games this season - LB hasn't picked him in the League this year. Yes he was contracted to play 'til 30th June but to ask someone who has been sidelined for six months to rock up and give 100% given his history is a big ask. In his head, if we hadn't needed him before, when we played Dijksteel, Matthews and Oshilaja in front of him, why should he risk any chance of him getting one last career move now especially as I assume that we didn't offer him a contract?

Not saying it's right what he has done but do believe that there are mitigating circumstances. And would prefer to remember him who gave absolutely everything when he did play for us. 
    The screamer from 20 yards in the 2-0 win at Blackpool.
    He ran the length of the field to celebrate with the away fans, a top moment.
    Not quite the length of the pitch as we were along the side and I was almost by the half way line.

One of my top ten away goals that one.

Shame it's ended like this, but I wish him well.
    I was by the corner flag.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Equally sad that it has ended like this for Solly. Remember seeing him first as our best player in the F A Youth Cup defeat in 2009 to a very good Spurs side that had the likes of Andros Townsend, John Bostock, Jonathan Obika, Steven Caulker and Dean Parrett. 

Still believe that it is a reflection of his long term injury situation and the fact is that he has only started 12 games this season - LB hasn't picked him in the League this year. Yes he was contracted to play 'til 30th June but to ask someone who has been sidelined for six months to rock up and give 100% given his history is a big ask. In his head, if we hadn't needed him before, when we played Dijksteel, Matthews and Oshilaja in front of him, why should he risk any chance of him getting one last career move now especially as I assume that we didn't offer him a contract?

Not saying it's right what he has done but do believe that there are mitigating circumstances. And would prefer to remember him who gave absolutely everything when he did play for us. 
    Not quite the length of the pitch as we were along the side and I was almost by the half way line.

I was by the corner flag.
    I was about half way between almost by the half way line and by the corner flag.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Up until last season would have been gutted to never see Solly score a live goal for Charlton. Was at Luton so after he scored was happy to say I saw him score. 

My only comment about this situation is that if all 16 players out of contract decided to do the same as Solly, we would not have a team to put out. Doubt I will keep a look out for his career now he has left. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Up until last season would have been gutted to never see Solly score a live goal for Charlton. Was at Luton so after he scored was happy to say I saw him score. 

My only comment about this situation is that if all 16 players out of contract decided to do the same as Solly, we would not have a team to put out. Doubt I will keep a look out for his career now he has left. 
    I seriously doubt he will have one. A lot of clubs are going to be cutting back very hard. Getting a new club is not going to be easy even with a pay when you play contract. His injuries have made him a bit part footballer these days. I personally think his league football days have just ended. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Addickted said:

I was hanging about the men’s toilets.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    What surprises me in relation to Solly is that if he was released and left on good terms, his chances of a coaching role that could open the door to management would be far greater. I can understand Lyle's position a lot more than Solly's. But we know more about that.

It may be that he was told that he was not in Bowyer's plans after the restart and was not going to be offered an new deal and he acted in anger. That would make some sense and if the case ought to mitigate how we feel about him.
  • Options
    I’m same can’t be angry with him. 

Do we know yet whether we weren’t going to offer him a new contract? I really like Matthews but Solly was still decent cover and good enough to play regularly in League 1 if we go down. 
  • Options
    I really thought Solly would end up finishing his career with us. Sad way for him to depart but his choice 

Was he offered a new contract ?
  • Options
    I was surprised that Solly didn't just turn up for training as I'm not certain he would have started a game anyway, or got on.
    With Matthews' Ossie and Blondie George all able to play RB. He next club will surely be a wage cut as League 1 or 2 and how does Chris pass a medical ?

Taylor's was self interest but with a 400% pay rise and a possible two and a half year contact it's understandable but still makes him a Judas in the eyes of some Cafc fans.
    In Lyle's case the comedic running of the club put pay to him staying.

We move on.

Off topic slightly but I would like to know how anyone can say what increase the selfish  gunt is going to get. He's 30 years old played lower division almost all of his career where he was hardly a great success until he moved to Wimbledon & then onto us. I really can't see a Premiership club taking a punt so we're probably talking a top to middle championship club. I think I read that he's on around 10k a week, who is going to pay him 40k a week or even 30k ? At a push I can see upper teens to 20k. As I said who can possibly say but with no fans through the door I doubt there are many clubs going to be splashing the cash (at this level). It will still be a fantastic salary just imo a lot less than people are suggesting & I hope that he chokes on it.
  • Options
    I was surprised that Solly didn't just turn up for training as I'm not certain he would have started a game anyway, or got on.
    With Matthews' Ossie and Blondie George all able to play RB. He next club will surely be a wage cut as League 1 or 2 and how does Chris pass a medical ?

Taylor's was self interest but with a 400% pay rise and a possible two and a half year contact it's understandable but still makes him a Judas in the eyes of some Cafc fans.
    In Lyle's case the comedic running of the club put pay to him staying.

We move on.

Off topic slightly but I would like to know how anyone can say what increase the selfish  gunt is going to get. He's 30 years old played lower division almost all of his career where he was hardly a great success until he moved to Wimbledon & then onto us. I really can't see a Premiership club taking a punt so we're probably talking a top to middle championship club. I think I read that he's on around 10k a week, who is going to pay him 40k a week or even 30k ? At a push I can see upper teens to 20k. As I said who can possibly say but with no fans through the door I doubt there are many clubs going to be splashing the cash (at this level). It will still be a fantastic salary just imo a lot less than people are suggesting & I hope that he chokes on it.
    He is absolutely not getting paid 10k a week by us. I think its nearer 4.5k a week. 

I was told by someone in the Middlesbrough setup, who would know, that Assombalonga who has barely scored in 2 years for them and hardly played this year, is getting 10x more than Lyle.
  • Options
    Assume Assombalonga was signed when in the Premier League when Boro were awash with money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Assume Assombalonga was signed when in the Premier League when Boro were awash with money.
    He signed the season after they were relegated. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    He signed the season after they were relegated. 
    They would still have been rolling the dice with parachute money.
  • Options
    It's not so much the weekly wages for Taylor, more the £x million signing on fee.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    It's not so much the weekly wages for Taylor, more the £x million signing on fee.

Absoulutely - and someone like Fulham could sell Mitrovic for £25m plus and give a fraction of that to Taylor as a ready made replacement.
  • Options
      Champ wages were average 10 grand a week almost 7-8 years ago.  Peterborough pay good wages, Forest probably paid him well above average as they had him on very long contracts.  Middlesborough pay above average Champ contracts, they signed him just after relegation.

Before Covid it is very likely Taylor would sign for between 20-30 grand a week.  If he signs for Rangers now, it's very likely he'd earn that considering they're throwing money at trying to stop Celtic.

Taylor signed for less money than he'd get at Sunderland. From reports at the club no one's on more than 6 grand a week.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
      Champ wages were average 10 grand a week almost 7-8 years ago.  Peterborough pay good wages, Forest probably paid him well above average as they had him on very long contracts.  Middlesborough pay above average Champ contracts, they signed him just after relegation.

Before Covid it is very likely Taylor would sign for between 20-30 grand a week.  If he signs for Rangers now, it's very likely he'd earn that considering they're throwing money at trying to stop Celtic.

Taylor signed for less money than he'd get at Sunderland. From reports at the club no one's on more than 6 grand a week.
    Because of his age don't think he will twenty grand,more like fifteen which is still a good wedge 
  • Options
    ColinTat said:

I believe Sarr is on more 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    ColinTat said:

I believe Sarr is on more 
    Football Manager has Sarr as the highest earner at the club. Far from fact, but it has been quite accurate about things in the past.
  • Options
    What a right back Solly was - my overriding memory of him in a charlton shirt is being 1v3 against Cardiff on the break with Craig Bellamy running at him, he beautifully held his position to the point where he was still marking the two other players either side of him whilst still putting pressure on Bellamy. Bellamy bottled it and the ball trickled to Hamer, who made a point to sprint over to solly and give him a massive pat on the back for some brilliant defending, easily saved a goal. 

He was a great player for those two seasons, genuinely one of the best right backs outside the prem in this country. 

Shame how he’s left, but I hope he finishes out his career in league football. 
    Yeah I remember that one... Cardiff won promotion as a result of the 0-0 draw that evening