Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Solly

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Solly not involved again last night. What is happening here, is he injured or just way down the pecking order? 

Adam Matthews is in good form and fitter than expected is my guess.
  • Not heard heard about an injury so I’m guessing Matthews is being selected on performance. No need for Matthews to be rested so no need to rotate. I’m guessing we’ll see less and less of Chris but a good player to have as cover now. 
  • Is sollys contract up this summer ? Sorry if it's been mentioned previously. 
  • se9addick said:
    Solly not involved again last night. What is happening here, is he injured or just way down the pecking order? 
    He wasn't involved at Preston because of illness apparently so perhaps he wasn't properly recovered yesterday either.
  • Intresting reading the comments from January last year. 

How many times, in the last 5 seasons, has Solly featured regularly after January?  The patten, without looking it up, tends to be he plays a lot before Xmas, then is hardly seen after?
  • He was ill on Saturday, but not sure he'd get on the bench ahead of anyone last night anyway, especially with the formation we were playing? 

We had a decent bench last night actually
    AMB - GK
    Sarr - CB cover (and emergency LB cover)
    Deji - defensive cover and cover for the defensive midfielders
    Dempsey - defensive midfielder 
    Williams - attacking midfielder
    Green - attacking midfielder and striker
    Taylor - No 9
  • Sponsored links:

• He was ill on Saturday, but not sure he'd get on the bench ahead of anyone last night anyway, especially with the formation we were playing? 

We had a decent bench last night actually
    AMB - GK
    Sarr - CB cover (and emergency LB FW cover)
    Deji - defensive cover and cover for the defensive midfielders
    Dempsey - defensive midfielder 
    Williams - attacking midfielder
    Green - attacking midfielder and striker
    Taylor - No 9

• At  Bromley Addicks tonight
  • At  Bromley Addicks tonight
    Can’t tell you how much I miss these meetings now that I have moved away....sadly one of the things I had to give up. :/
  • Can someone find out what is going on with him @LouisMend any chance of maybe asking Bowyer directly

We haven't seen him in the first team for over 2 months now, fair enough Matthews is playing well, but not even an appearance on the bench

No sign of him in the under 23s to keep him match sharp either like we have seen with other players not being used in the first team, and if anything happens to Matthews we will be calling on a Solly who hasnt played 1 minute of football in over 2 months.

Its his testimonial year and he seems to have disappeared 
  • Oshilaja can play right back and is probably a better option than Solly at the moment anyway but yes it would be good to get clarification on whether he does have an injury or is just out of favour. 
  • Talal said:
    Oshilaja can play right back and is probably a better option than Solly at the moment anyway but yes it would be good to get clarification on whether he does have an injury or is just out of favour. 
    There was no defender on the bench on Saturday just seems weird that Sollys last game was 5th Jan and hasnt even been on the bench or in any 23 squad to keep up match fitness incase he is needed, but there hasnt been any word from the club to say he is injured.

Did Roland take him as part of the deal lol, maybe that was the weird thing that bowyer mentioned
  • Yes, our bench was a bit strange on Saturday, a bit suspicious that the 3 loan midfielders were all on the bench, and didn't come on, as if they contractually have to be in the 18. Or maybe Bowyer is too embarrassed to leave them out completely...

An extra defender in Solly would have made more sense, he could even have gone to LB to allow Doughty to continue further forward
  • cafctom said:
    Disagree that Oshilaja is a better option than Solly. I know that he can play in more positions, but Solly is just a better technical player and defender. Think it’s been quite harsh on him to have been left out so long. 
    My point was more that as Solly hasn't been involved for a while he might be rusty, so I'd favour Oshilaja at the moment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:
    Disagree that Oshilaja is a better option than Solly. I know that he can play in more positions, but Solly is just a better technical player and defender. Think it’s been quite harsh on him to have been left out so long. 
    Agree. Can see why Deji could be favoured on the bench due to versatility but thats it for me.
  • would play him left back.
  • would play him left back.
    Got ripped to shreds at left back in League 1, nevermind The Championship 
  • In our league position you need scrappers.  Solly is that.  Would much prefer him on the bench than Smith.
  • cafctom said:
    I reckon it's just that Solly isn't suited to the formations Bowyer prefers - and Matthews is.

Solly would still do a decent job as a traditional fullback in flat back 4, with 2 x banks of 4 in a 4-4-2. Purrington, on the other flank, again is a decent enough conventional fullback, solid, supportive and keeps the shape - you know, the way Chris Powell played.

But that's not what Bowyer wants from a fullback in his formations and gameplan.

• Matthews is better than Solly. I suspect that as a plain RB, even Oshilaja is better than Solly

Oshilaja is probably better than him now, even as a conventional RB 
  • Lancs has just put up his stats thread ...... Man of the Match, Adam Matthews, as voted for by us Charlton Lifers.

Matthews is playing well and consistantly. 

So no surprise that Solly can't get a look in.

• Oggy Red said:
    Lancs has just put up his stats thread ...... Man of the Match, Adam Matthews, as voted for by us Charlton Lifers.

Matthews is playing well and consistantly. 

So no surprise that Solly can't get a look in.

I think everyone agree's on that. But to not be in the squad for over 2 months despite the lack of bodies at times has been a little odd.