Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    J BLOCK said:
    ColinTat said:
      Champ wages were average 10 grand a week almost 7-8 years ago.  Peterborough pay good wages, Forest probably paid him well above average as they had him on very long contracts.  Middlesborough pay above average Champ contracts, they signed him just after relegation.

Before Covid it is very likely Taylor would sign for between 20-30 grand a week.  If he signs for Rangers now, it's very likely he'd earn that considering they're throwing money at trying to stop Celtic.

Taylor signed for less money than he'd get at Sunderland. From reports at the club no one's on more than 6 grand a week.
    I believe Sarr is on more 
    Football Manager has Sarr as the highest earner at the club. Far from fact, but it has been quite accurate about things in the past.
    A few years ago Airman confirmed that Sarr was the highest-earner, on £275k p.a.

That’s interesting - I thought he was on £12K a week for some reason, thankfully not! 
    Info from Airman - who is ITK - was two or three years ago, so Sarr's salary might have increased since then.  Didn't we establish that Patrick Bauer asked for £6k per week and was refused?  I feel certain no-one with us is on anything like £12k!
  • Options
    jams said:
    Olly has tweeted this : There will be more to come in a few weeks once things are a bit calmer. Sols will be going out the front door at The Valley, not ushered out the back, don't worry about that.
    Surely there has to be more to the Solly situation then we are currently aware of, it just doesn't ring true after the times he has put his career at risk by playing on with his fucked knee time & again. Surely Solly wouldn't solly, sorry, sully his whole career for three games that he probably wouldn't even play in but then LB said that he had refused to play so ....... ?

Hopefully we'll hear something positive in the next few weeks possibly soon after Poyet reveals the truth over what went on before he abandoned us for the bright lights of east London. :smiley:
  • Options
    jams said:
    Olly has tweeted this : There will be more to come in a few weeks once things are a bit calmer. Sols will be going out the front door at The Valley, not ushered out the back, don't worry about that.
    All depends if the fans accept whatever is being said... Part of me has a feeling that this involves retirement
    I think if he was going to retire surely he would of played these last few games. 
    Unless he was worried that his knees just couldn't take it.

But yeah I suspect it's retirement. Why not just come out and say it, I don't know. It's very strange. 

For all his dramatics, I have respect for Taylor saying he couldn't give 100% due to injury. Fair enough better not to play. But for Solly to be silent is disappointing. 
  • Options
    If it’s retirement then I don’t get the whole ‘released’ story.
  • Options
    jams said:
    We'll hear the truth at the same time Diego Poyet 'reveals all'.

Shirked his responsibilities as club captain, that's the key here.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    And if he was retiring, why not stay with the squad until the season has finished? He is the club captain after all
  • Options
    Everything about this says Gillingham 1 yr contract to me
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Yup, their regular right back, Barry Fuller, is 35 and out of contract. 
    His academy is in Gillingham too.
    Doesnt feel right that there are only six years between Fuller and Solly seeing they both came through the Academy
  • Options
    Wouldn’t be surprised if solly and wagstaff turned up at the same club. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not read the press or this thread, but love solly. 

Without reading, just from watching this season, looks like he is old injury prone and ready to retire or move on, wasn't going to do a job for us this term (for me)... different to taylor. 

Still a legend. Good luck
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    And if he was retiring, why not stay with the squad until the season has finished? He is the club captain after all
    Small point... WAS
  • Options
    I am sad to say this because Solly has been a hero and superb player for us. 

But the last time I saw him play was in the FA Cup game against West Brom in January.
    He was a shadow of his former self and truly dreadful.  He was very slow, poor positionally and there were missed tackles and awful passing.  I thought then that his career was over frankly.  I would be very surprised indeed if he was to get a gig at League 1 level.  If you doubt my opinion see the players marks thread https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/87881/players-marks-fa-cup-r3-charlton-v-west-brom-closes-tuesday-after-breakfast/p1)

But that, in a way makes his decision even more surprising.  Why not stay and support his team mates while quietly having a word with Bow, and agreeing between them that he shouldn't be selected?  

If he's got a contract lined up his new club is going to be very disappointed indeed.

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Still can’t get my head around how one of the bravest, toughest players we’ve had in recent years now has the reputation of a ‘coward’ in many people’s eyes.

I honestly can’t think of a comparable situation in football like it where a club legends reputation has dramatically U-turned in one swift instant? 
    Supporters are fickle, in particular ours. Without knowing any of the full picture, they just assume because he hasn't played out his contract. 

Sounds like it could be he was not asked to extend, possible. Bowyer might not have had him in the plans unless i have missed something official? I will be the opposite here and with the commitment he has showed for our club up until now has been 2nd to none. Unless something comes out drastic, i am hoping there will be several U turns for those criticising and people jumping to conclusions. We shall wait and see i guess...  
  • Options
    Who was it who was saying he'd been told in January to find a new club?
  • Options
    Only way I could understand was if he was injured and didn't want to cost the club any extra money. 

But Bowyer didn't mention any injury, therefore he's lost a lot of respect from me. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Still can’t get my head around how one of the bravest, toughest players we’ve had in recent years now has the reputation of a ‘coward’ in many people’s eyes.

I honestly can’t think of a comparable situation in football like it where a club legends reputation has dramatically U-turned in one swift instant? 
    Supporters are fickle, in particular ours. Without knowing any of the full picture, they just assume because he hasn't played out his contract. 

Sounds like it could be he was not asked to extend, possible. Bowyer might not have had him in the plans unless i have missed something official? I will be the opposite here and with the commitment he has showed for our club up until now has been 2nd to none. Unless something comes out drastic, i am hoping there will be several U turns for those criticising and people jumping to conclusions. We shall wait and see i guess...  
    I would be staggered if that was the case, bearing in mind his comments this week about having to change the system to cope without Matthews

And as club captain, Bowyer would surely have wanted him around the squad as a senior pro to help the youngsters

And especially as a fellow academy Graduate, I really can't see Bowyer pushing Solly out of the door before the season ended to save 1 month's wages.
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Agreed. They are just waiting for all their fans to be released from their caravan lockdown on the Isle of Sheppey, and they are going to unveil him doing keepie uppies at the ground....a bit like when Ronaldo signed for Real Madrid.  Contract to be signed in Rochester wetherspoons. 
  • Options
    Another tosser. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will definitely get the treatment next season. Won’t be able to give Lyle the abuse so unfortunately Solly will get it instead.
  • Options
    Maybe Solly didn't stay because he wasn't needed or wanted? Would he have even played?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    JohnnyH2 said:
    I remember Olly saying that Chris will leave out the front door and will get a proper send off once the anger dies down

Unfortunately with this result today I think it'll be a while before than happens now
    It should not happen, the bloke did the same as Taylor and therefore should be treated the same. He has gone, end of story no tributes 
    Agreed. I wonder if he would have hung about if his testimonial was this year? Not particularly bothered about him to be honest, but he should have honoured his contract, particularly as the club have looked after him for over 10 years....actually it’s a contract so he should be seeing it out regardless of how long he has been at the club.  Hope he gets dogs abuse if he plays against us next season. 
  • Options
    I remember Olly saying that Chris will leave out the front door and will get a proper send off once the anger dies down

Unfortunately with this result today I think it'll be a while before than happens now
    I genuinely don't think there are any words that could save Solly now. 

Solly joins an ever increasing cast of CAFC villains.