Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2018
    se9addick said:

After March, if we were to decide that this was all a very silly idea, can we simply stop the process once we are in the implementation period or would we effectively have to apply to rejoin the EU?

The latter.

We can request to reverse Article 50 before it concludes at the end of March; or we can leave at the end of March and re-apply, under worse terms than we have now, after then.
  • Options
    Farage speaking at EU today a disgrace, calling our civil service the enemy within. Running out of scapegoats I reckon
  • Options

There has been some quite helpful publicity recently in Spain for us Brits offering advice about how we will be affected by Brexit, though there is still a lot of uncertainty. One of the things that worries my wife and I is that her status here as an American is dependent on being the spouse of an EU citizens. We are hoping that a deal is made that we can keep the same status after being here for over six years, but I have to say there is a real feeling of dread about it all at the moment, not really helped by the UK government's totally hapless approach to the negotiations and general lack of planning. Some interesting points for us Brits in Spain are covered below:

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/10/23/trans_iberian/1540304262_501829.html

So many things in our lives are tied up with being in Spain that it has the potential to be very complicated, we are trying to be positive about it as many people are in the same situation. Luckily Spanish people have been very supportive, although completely bemused as to why the UK are putting themselves through all this.

But we knew what we were voting for...
  • Options
    When do we hear the outcome of the 1922 committee meeting ?
  • Options

When do we hear the outcome of the 1922 committee meeting ?

BBC reporting that May won over the room
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Farage speaking at EU today a disgrace, calling our civil service the enemy within. Running out of scapegoats I reckon

There was me, thinking it was a fair cop..... :wink:
  • Options

There was me, thinking it was a fair cop..... :wink:
    He obviously dips into CL now and again :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

May was hinting at a customs union so perhaps that’s not true @""seth plum"
    Only problem of course is that Davis, Mogg et al won’t accept it. Suits the DUP though so it could come to a very close vote if the rest of what’s on the table satisfies Labours six tests.

Personally I now think David Davis will be PM before the end of March. That way the Tories survive because they won’t under any circumstances call a general election.

Until the extreme brexiteers say a customs union is not brexit.
    If David Davis ends up in charge perhaps he will magic up the easiest trade deal ever as he promised.
    Incidentally regarding the land border in Ireland, Davis has lined up firmly behind the non existent, and unworkable 'technological' solution, dressed up with these ridiculous 'trusted trader' ideas, and local exemptions. That all translates into Davis has no solution to the Irish border question.
    Well, seeing as staying in THE Customs Union means keeping freedom of trade & movement of people then I would have to agree that its not Brexit.

its not that hard to understand is it.
    Everybody knows the real brexit is blue faces and white passports.
    Have I got that right?
    The usual racist rubbish from you Seth. Very disappointing that you refuse to grasp this aspect. Tbh I think that this view undermines any legimate objections to Brexit that you might have.
    Very strange to call a man with a Chinese wife and half-Chinese son (that'll be me) a racist. Because he simply is not.
    I know that and I'm not calling him out as a racist. Quite the opposite.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

More of a joke in people's eyes than anything else to be honest, an irrelevance more than anything actually offensive. This is a person who is incapable of having proper discussions and gives Leavers a bad name. The ones who actually write on here at least have something interesting and relevant to contribute, and this is far more important as the country needs people from all sides with a proper grasp of a complicated situation.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Only problem of course is that Davis, Mogg et al won’t accept it. Suits the DUP though so it could come to a very close vote if the rest of what’s on the table satisfies Labours six tests.

Personally I now think David Davis will be PM before the end of March. That way the Tories survive because they won’t under any circumstances call a general election.

If David Davis ends up in charge perhaps he will magic up the easiest trade deal ever as he promised.
    Incidentally regarding the land border in Ireland, Davis has lined up firmly behind the non existent, and unworkable 'technological' solution, dressed up with these ridiculous 'trusted trader' ideas, and local exemptions. That all translates into Davis has no solution to the Irish border question.
    Well, seeing as staying in THE Customs Union means keeping freedom of trade & movement of people then I would have to agree that its not Brexit.

Have I got that right?
    The usual racist rubbish from you Seth. Very disappointing that you refuse to grasp this aspect. Tbh I think that this view undermines any legimate objections to Brexit that you might have.
    Very strange to call a man with a Chinese wife and half-Chinese son (that'll be me) a racist. Because he simply is not.
    Yeah I misinterpreted your post, get what you mean now. Apologies.
  • Options

More of a joke in people's eyes to be honest than anything else to be honest, an irrelevance more than anything actually offensive. This is a person who is incapable of having proper discussions and gives Leavers a bad name. The ones who actually write on here at least have something interesting and relevant to contribute, and this is far more important as the country needs people from all sides with a proper grasp of a complicated situation.

It's okay - the Chippy Defense League has censored my comment. Funny old world isn't it.

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Have I got that right?
    Yeah I misinterpreted your post, get what you mean now. Apologies.
    Not a problem Paddy. We have all jumped in with both feet at times. I probably would have done too if I thought that my old man was being unfairly attacked.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Not your usual source i'll grant you, but interesting thread

• Options
    edited October 2018

As it states, always was, I have said the same often. How else would you get, for example, Ugg boots in the UK? The problems are about tariffs and taxes and customs checks, etc.
  • Options
    I thought they were our friends?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Straw man!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Straw man!
    I guess it would be if I, or indeed Bob Mortimer were making an argument at all.

It's just an interesting thread.
  • Options

The first in a long list of crimes against the citizens of the UK that should never be forgotten and never forgiven.
    #projectfear
  • Options

More of a joke in people's eyes to be honest than anything else to be honest, an irrelevance more than anything actually offensive. This is a person who is incapable of having proper discussions and gives Leavers a bad name. The ones who actually write on here at least have something interesting and relevant to contribute, and this is far more important as the country needs people from all sides with a proper grasp of a complicated situation.

It's okay - the Chippy Defense League has censored my comment. Funny old world isn't it.

Yes, and my response doesn't really make any sense without your original post! Anyway, at least the quality of discussion has gone up. It's much easier to share personal experiences without the incoherent trolling and mindless insults directed at people living abroad that used to be on here. Brexit affects us too in many ways, and we are just as interested in what happens next as people living in the UK.
  • Options
    https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/ukip-members-discuss-their-pensions-and-post-brexit-benefits-1-5749285

Looks like Nigel managed to get a day off from his LBC show. Record attendance by the UKIP cowboys.
  • Options

Chaz Hill said:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/ukip-members-discuss-their-pensions-and-post-brexit-benefits-1-5749285

Looks like Nigel managed to get a day off from his LBC show. Record attendance by the UKIP cowboys.

I've never understood why those most opposed to the EU seem keenest to earn a living from it? Am I missing something?
    They weren’t exactly ‘earning’ a living by any stretch of the imagination given their attendance records!
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/26/russia-brexit-liam-fox-wto-plan-uk?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Not just Russia it seems. Up to 20 other countries according to the above. Poor Dr Fox seems to be getting nowhere fast.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!