Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2018

se9addick said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/oct/04/nissan-becomes-latest-manufacturer-to-warn-against-hard-brexit

The sad thing is that the Brexit voters in Sunderland have been so duped by the anti-Europe nut jobs in the country they probably still think Brexit is a good idea.

Part of me says “let them have it” but the really sad thing is that those who felt so disenfranchised that they wanted to believe Farage/Johnson when they offered themselves someone else to blame for their lot in life are about to feel the worst of what is heading our way. This is now shaping up to be a disaster of huge proportions.
    Nope - let them have it - they deserve to suffer for their gross stupidity.

Who the fuck would vote for Brexit when your town relies on making cars for export to Europe?

It'd be like Whisky distillers in Scotland voting for prohibition.
    That one did puzzle me a bit I must admit.

Of course we all know that if we let them have it, the economic disaster to come will not be because of Brexit but the compromise Brexit they had to put up with. The excuses have already been written.
  • Options
    You can't really have a Canada+ (or ++ or +++ or ++++ ....) trade deal because they have most favoured nation status with the EU (like Japan),so any terms given to another country such as the UK, would automatically have to be given to Canada & Japan. So all you can have is Canada.
  • Options
    Salad said:

You can't really have a Canada+ (or ++ or +++ or ++++ ....) trade deal because they have most favoured nation status with the EU (like Japan),so any terms given to another country such as the UK, would automatically have to be given to Canada & Japan. So all you can have is Canada.

That makes sense.

Just to add to the shitfest though - we could have a Canada deal with the EU whilst at the same time not having a trade deal with Canada!!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

se9addick said:

Huskaris said:

se9addick said:

seth plum said:
    "European project"

says it all. glad we're getting out.

we saved most of them from Hitler's european project 70 years ago & thats the thanks we get.
    WW2 is never far from the thoughts of a Brexiteer...
    And WW3 from the arsenal of scare tactics from remainers :-)
    Ah yes, “project fear”...
    Watch out! I'm actually a Russian! I'm infiltrating the forum! Nooooo!
    I trust this is tongue in cheek and that you take the Russian threat to mature rules-based democracies around the world seriously?
  • Options

seth plum said:
    "European project"

we saved most of them from Hitler's european project 70 years ago & thats the thanks we get.
    European project says it all, sad the UK is getting out when greater union and collaboration was within reach.
    The UK fought an honourable war against Naziism, so did many many people and forces across Europe. Czech and Polish pilots saved the UK in the Battle of Britain and this is the thanks the UK shows!
  • Options

seth plum said:
    "European project"

I despair. I really do.
    Don't despair - that response is very telling. That you get responses like that from 'reasonable' people explains why we got the vote we did.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Salad said:

I fear that what the ERG and the EU27/Commission mean by Canada +++ are distinctly different things. For the ERG it's an enhanced FTA with unfettered access to the benefits of the Single Market. From the way that Donald Tusk is talking, it seems the EU27 view is that it is an FTA with enhanced non-economic cooperation built in, things like continuation of the European Arrest Warrant, police intelligence sharing, and the like.

So, it may be that the ERG crowing that they and the EU27 agree may be a tad premature.
  • Options

seth plum said:
    "European project"

Well said
  • Options
    I still can’t see Chippy’s posts (but can see that he posted last) - what’s going on with that?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I still can’t see Chippy’s posts (but can see that he posted last) - what’s going on with that?

Chippy has been given a role as part of a secret Russian intelligence black cyber ops. Can’t say anything more at this point.

• Options
    se9addick said:

He just comes on to lol or attempt to flag. 😳
  • Options

Wow! Chippy's latest comment seems to solve the problem of the irish border and how we can make a go of brexit. Possibly the best post i've ever seen on any forum ever. I just hope HM government sees it and employs him as DexEU minister.

Sod that - Chippy for PM.
  • Options
    Brexiters banging on about WWI must be forgetting or maybe don't know that Churchill was a great advocate of European co-operation and integration. If the UK had been as isolationist as some Brexiters want today it's probable we would have never even have entered into the war at all.
  • Options

Brexiters banging on about WWI must be forgetting or maybe don't know that Churchill was a great advocate of European co-operation and integration. If the UK had been as isolationist as some Brexiters want today it's probable we would have never even have entered into the war at all.

He also said, "We are with Europe, but not of it." Post war Europe needed something to rebuild around for future peace and security. He believed the UK should be a friend and sponsor of that project, along with the USA and USSR, not necessarily a member.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wow! Chippy's latest comment seems to solve the problem of the irish border and how we can make a go of brexit. Possibly the best post i've ever seen on any forum ever. I just hope HM government sees it and employs him as DexEU minister.

Never mind that. I'm just impressed at the way he's getting "whose" and "who's" right now.
  • Options
    I can't believe how many posts are about chippy.
    You all give him a hard time when he is posting.
    But now he isn't posting you all miss him.
    Long live the chipster 😊😊
  • Options

I can't believe how many posts are about chippy.
    You all give him a hard time when he is posting.
    But now he isn't posting you all miss him.
    Long live the chipster 😊😊

Ghost writer mate
  • Options

Missed It said:

He also said, "We are with Europe, but not of it." Post war Europe needed something to rebuild around for future peace and security. He believed the UK should be a friend and sponsor of that project, along with the USA and USSR, not necessarily a member.
    You're aware this quote was from a 1930, not post war, essay from Churchill entitled, "The United States of Europe" in which he espouses the benefits of a tariff free, passportless continent with minimal barriers to the movement of people and trade right?

Yes, we were on WW1. I was just trying to point out that Churchill's take on Europe wasn't as pro as the previous post inferred, although that view was probably coloured by the British Empire still being intact.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Missed It said:

You're aware this quote was from a 1930, not post war, essay from Churchill entitled, "The United States of Europe" in which he espouses the benefits of a tariff free, passportless continent with minimal barriers to the movement of people and trade right?

Yes, we were on WW1. I was just trying to point out that Churchill's take on Europe wasn't as pro as the previous post inferred, although that view was probably coloured by the British Empire still being intact.
    Great. Good to hear it. Otherwise it might look like you were referring to that made up, stitched together, bullshit meme that got circulated by Leavers at the time of the referendum misquoting Churchill so it seemed like he would be in favour of Brexit. But you weren't, so that's a good thing.
  • Options
    Also owns 399 other brands and is one of the biggest companies in Europe. If they had relocated to Frankfurt it would have been a massive deal.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!