Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Perhaps I'm being a bit thick here.

But has anybody got an idea quite how Justine Greening's "In, out, shake it all about" three-choice referendum would actually work in practice?

What would happen if we ended up with a 34%, 34%, 32% result? Would we go again with the two 34% choices or would the 32% people have a 2nd preference? (Or is she being sneaky and is hoping the "In" would still be around the 50% mark and the other two choices would split the "out" vote? Thus giving a clear "in" mandate?)

If it was a 2nd preference concept then "in" vote would still lose because the "outs" would not have that as their second choice.

It all sounds worse than the original fiasco.

It wouldn’t, it’s a terrible idea, as is trying to sort this mess with any sort of second referendum.
  • Options

Chizz said:

seth plum said:

Would you like to guess that mans age?
    This unspeakably unpleasant front page from the disgraced and disgraceful Sun (owned by an immigrant) has drawn a lot of criticism and a lot of questions, over and above "can you guess what his age is?", including:
    1. Who is the picture of?
    2. Do we know that it's someone that is claiming to be a child, as the caption says?
    3. Why have The Sun printed a picture of someone without their agreement on the front page of their newspaper, in the knowledge that it's illegal to do so if they are under 18?
    4. How young does a refugee have to be, to be treated with fairness and compassion?
    5. How good does it make The Sun's readers feel when they see a foreign person they can look down on?
    1. Someone who was brought to the UK by the charity Citizen UK. A charity set up to rescue children from war zones.

2. Yes. He would have made that claim to citizen UK.

3. Under UK he is welcome to pursue the sun in court.

4. If there is a war on. Running away and pretending to b a child is coeardice.
    War is a tough nasty business. I was once told to fight a war in the middle East or go to prison.

5. The story was highlighting the failure of the Dubbs act.

Interesting that so many don't want to guess the man's age.
    What on earth are you talking about? If he is as old as you are happy to accept the Sun telling you, he might be a fork lift truck driver, caught up in a "war" that has nothing to do with him, other than two groups of egomaniacs have chosen to fight it in his back yard? Why are you assuming he is a soldier? Were you working in a bookies and suddenly someone rushed in and told you "here, grab this rifle and push off to Kuwait or we are going to arrest you."?

And as for point 2 - that's no answer at all, that's just your assumption.
    I was a bank clerk, with no connection to Asia, no family ties there and I'd never even been to that continent. So in answer to your question. Yes. That's exactly what I was told.

Point 2. He may have got lost in the way to the recruitment office. He might even have been kidnapped and forced into the UK at gunpoint by Citizen UK.
    Given that I'm in record as stating we have a great chance of winning the league this season, I could almost imagine either situation was possible.

Hold on - I’m assuming you had signed up to the army or the TA (or you’re a fantasist)?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I was being ironic/sarcastic when re posting those immigrant related headlines from the Express, Mail and Sun and saying no brexiters would have been influenced by them.
    I think smudge has proved my point for one individual at least.
  • Options

For the record I didn't say migration per se was madness, what I was referring to was the madness that is the total freedom of movement from 27 EU countries. That it was has to stop. If we want 200,000 trained doctors & nurses to help the NHS then great, recruit them from where ever we need to....EU, Commonwealth or Timbuktu for all I care, but not allow 200,000 transient anybodys with no skills or means of supporting themselves. That is what is madness.

Sorry - just seen this and I don't get it.

If we leave the EU 70 million British people will still have the right to settle in my home town which currently has a population of 15,000. Even if only 10,000 British anybodys decided to come here looking for work and accomodation, local schools and transport would collapse.

But I don't lie awake at night worrying about it and I certainly don't want to restrict movement around the UK because of a hypothetical possibility. Now that would be madness.
    You're missing the whole point here. The 10,000 "anybodys" would definitely relocate to your town. But they'd all have blue passports. So it wouldn't matter.
  • Options
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/public-to-be-warned-every-week-over-nodeal-brexit-d9wd3lwbk?shareToken=26bb602115022e95298e2c9361ecc93f

This is the UK government choosing to inflict these consequences on its citizens for no other reason than to satisfy 40 or 50 extremists in its own party.

Unfucking believable.

But, hey, the morons get their blue passports!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Chizz said:

seth plum said:

This unspeakably unpleasant front page from the disgraced and disgraceful Sun (owned by an immigrant) has drawn a lot of criticism and a lot of questions, over and above "can you guess what his age is?", including:
    2. Do we know that it's someone that is claiming to be a child, as the caption says?
    3. Why have The Sun printed a picture of someone without their agreement on the front page of their newspaper, in the knowledge that it's illegal to do so if they are under 18?
    4. How young does a refugee have to be, to be treated with fairness and compassion?
    5. How good does it make The Sun's readers feel when they see a foreign person they can look down on?
    1. Someone who was brought to the UK by the charity Citizen UK. A charity set up to rescue children from war zones.

War is a tough nasty business. I was once told to fight a war in the middle East or go to prison.

What on earth are you talking about? If he is as old as you are happy to accept the Sun telling you, he might be a fork lift truck driver, caught up in a "war" that has nothing to do with him, other than two groups of egomaniacs have chosen to fight it in his back yard? Why are you assuming he is a soldier? Were you working in a bookies and suddenly someone rushed in and told you "here, grab this rifle and push off to Kuwait or we are going to arrest you."?

I was a bank clerk, with no connection to Asia, no family ties there and I'd never even been to that continent. So in answer to your question. Yes. That's exactly what I was told.

Point 2. He may have got lost in the way to the recruitment office. He might even have been kidnapped and forced into the UK at gunpoint by Citizen UK.
    Given that I'm in record as stating we have a great chance of winning the league this season, I could almost imagine either situation was possible.

Hold on - I’m assuming you had signed up to the army or the TA (or you’re a fantasist)?
    Gareth
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I see Leo Varadkar is standing shoulder to shoulder with the EU and the Trump's Manual on Diplomatic Bullying.

irony is, Ireland allows Russian military jets fly over its airspace because it doesn't have a choice. Its own airforce hasn't got planes that can fly high enough to intercept them. Instead the RAF have an arrangement to protect Ireland's airspace. But hey, just like Trump, he thinks it wouldn't hurt helping out Russia to have another bully on your side to get your own way.

Has the UK said Ireland will not have access to UK fishing waters? Of course not, everyone knows that Europe will continue to have access, the UK's fishing fleet is only big enough to serve the needs of a small fraction of the European market, but it will be on negotiated terms. Like I've already said, the EU needs to start acting like adults, not spoilt brats threatening to break their friends toys, so nanny will give in.

The lack of self awareness is breathtaking.
  • Options

I see Leo Varadkar is standing shoulder to shoulder with the EU and the Trump's Manual on Diplomatic Bullying.

irony is, Ireland allows Russian military jets fly over its airspace because it doesn't have a choice. Its own airforce hasn't got planes that can fly high enough to intercept them. Instead the RAF have an arrangement to protect Ireland's airspace. But hey, just like Trump, he thinks it wouldn't hurt helping out Russia to have another bully on your side to get your own way.

Has the UK said Ireland will not have access to UK fishing waters? Of course not, everyone knows that Europe will continue to have access, the UK's fishing fleet is only big enough to serve the needs of a small fraction of the European market, but it will be on negotiated terms. Like I've already said, the EU needs to start acting like adults, not spoilt brats threatening to break their friends toys, so nanny will give in.

A completely new level of non argument. Breathtaking is right.

• Options
    Stonemuse has given up, I notice
  • Options

The lack of self awareness is breathtaking.
    Almost frightening!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

And what did happen to Fiiiiish? Did I miss something?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

The RAF have an arrangement to protect Ireland's airspace?
    Are you sure about that?
    Ireland is part of the EU, so not standing shoulder to shoulder as some kind of separate entity.
  • Options

I don't really understand how Ireland can make the threat. International air transits are managed by the IASTA Treaty which has nothing to do with the EU. To block UK flights Ireland would have to abrogate the treaty.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Are you sure about that?
    Ireland is part of the EU, so not standing shoulder to shoulder as some kind of separate entity.
    And wouldn't it be in Britain's strategic interest to not have Russia invade Ireland?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Are you sure about that?
    I don't think it works quite like that. The RAF intercept Russian bombers that fly over the North Sea, Irish Sea, Atlantic, which includes international airspace controlled by Irish ATC. They would not enter sovereign Irish airspace (12nm), neither would the Russians for that matter.

There may be a separate agreement in place as part of RAF's Op Adana, which would be for a terrorist hijack 9/11 type incident.
  • Options
    Indeed.

Ireland is technically a neutral country like Sweden and Switzerland as far as i can tell, and as such have no agreement whatsoever with the RAF.
    I don't know what @Dippenhall was getting at.

I see that Theresa May has been making a speech in Northern Ireland today, and as yet still can't tell everybody what the solution to the Irish border question will be.

No wonder one of her catchphrases is 'nothing has changed' because as far as I can tell she has restated that nobody wants a hard border, and as the UK is leaving it is down to everybody else to sort out a practical and workable solution. No change from her mantra of the last two years.

It looks since the Chequers turn around that May is accepting the cliff edge 'solution' of crashing out with no deal and the hardest of hard brexits, in order to not engage with the will of the people so much as engage with the will of the small group of swivel-eyed within the Tory party.

It is going to be extreme, and if the clear choice of the UK is crashing out with no deal, as indeed seems to be that clear choice, then I hope the EU stand absolutely firm in being the EU, and consequences that flow from no agreement flow freely.

It won't be a surprise in any way to the UK what those consequences would be, because the UK has been in the EU for over 40 years and has helped establish the rules. So brexiters can whinge for ever about what they might see as the childishness, or intransigence of the EU but too bad.

If brexit is the will of the people, the EU is the will of the EU.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

Chizz said:

seth plum said:

Gareth
    It was the first TA call up since The Suez. I spent most of my army weekends drunk and blowing up parts of Norfolk, hardly ideal war preparation.
    It was quite an experience being part of the transformation of the TA from being STABs, weekend warriors and Gareth from the office to regarded as Army Reserve.
    So you were in the TA then? I think you may have just closed the most fragile argument I have ever seen (and I have read the Trump thread)… :lol:
  • Options
    The exact quote made by Leo Varadkar is exactly the type of response that Brexiters have been urging our government to take with the Eu.

They don’t like it up em Captain Mainwaring. They don’t like it up em.

• Options
    Apparently the UK needs the EU more than the other way round.
    Well there's one way to find out.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Everyone has...more fun sitting back and watching the hysteria..
  • Options

Just to pick up on a minor inaccuracy, the Irish Air Corps does not have any aircraft capable of intercepting Russian military turboprops (generally TU-95s) that have the range to fly out across the Atlantic - this is because the Air Corps does not have any interceptor/fighter aircraft.

The Air Corps concentrates on SAR, reconnaissance, fisheries protection, transport and ground attack roles, which are in keeping with the Irish policy of neutrality (benign neutrality towards NATO/the UK - as demonstrated in the Second World War, with overflights allowed for the RAF and USAAF and (according to Wikipedia) an Irish MTB, unofficially, assisting in the evacuation from Dunkirk) and an understanding that, in the event of an invasion, Ireland would not seek to engage in conventional, toe to toe defence of the country (so there are also no Main Battle Tanks).

There has been some media talk in recent years of the Air Corps purchasing advanced jet trainers, which would fit within the ground attack role, but would also allow the Air Corps to shadow military aircraft approaching Irish airspace (some have highlighted the South Korean T-50 trainer as a good choice), but the Government has not made any moves towards such a position.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!