Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Apologies if you cannot read Italian but this article from February 2018 directly quotes Five Star as promoting European Union membership.

http://www.huffingtonpost.it/2018/02/06/luigi-di-maio-rottama-la-politica-estera-a-5-stelle_a_23354144/

@Southbank just in case you missed this post that proves what total bollocks you've been spouting about the Italian election.
  • Options
    Nadou said:

Got €1.06 to the £ today. Those bloody Europeans, stealing my money. Don't they realise the Queen's head is on the money over here. Pay a bit of respect. Our money's worth much more than that Euro trash stuff.

I got 1.13 this morning...who did you buy them from your mrs.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Apologies if you cannot read Italian but this article from February 2018 directly quotes Five Star as promoting European Union membership.

http://www.huffingtonpost.it/2018/02/06/luigi-di-maio-rottama-la-politica-estera-a-5-stelle_a_23354144/

@Southbank just in case you missed this post that proves what total bollocks you've been spouting about the Italian election.
    Said all day on sky news, bbc and lbc that 55% of the parties are anti EU..i appreciate their not as learned and knowledgeable than you... Just saying.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Said all day on sky news, bbc and lbc that 55% of the parties are anti EU..i appreciate their not as learned and knowledgeable than you... Just saying.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Nadou said:

Got €1.06 to the £ today. Those bloody Europeans, stealing my money. Don't they realise the Queen's head is on the money over here. Pay a bit of respect. Our money's worth much more than that Euro trash stuff.

Whoopee flipping do. It was 1.36 when this whole mess started.

https://finder.com/uk/brexit-pound
  • Options

Nadou said:

Where were you able to get better than spot rate from?
  • Options

Nadou said:

Whoopppeeedooooooooo was 1.02 five years agooooooooo.
  • Options

Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

If there is one thing that the impending sunlit uplands of Brexit has achieved, it is a sudden interest in politics outside the UK.

However, there is a tendency to view everything through Brexit.

Euroscepticism is not the same in each country, so it does not follow, for example, that any of the potential governments that might be formed in Italy (and there is every chance of no government and another election) would seek to follow, or support the path being followed by the UK. Indeed, if the next Italian Government seeks to repatriate powers from, or otherwise limit the powers of, the EU, it could actually be damaging to the UK's interests.

As a fan of liberal democracy, it pains me to see parties of the extreme (either left or right) winning a greater share of the vote than before (as does the apparent normalisation of ideas that I had hoped would be consigned to the dustbin of history).

But I would caution those who view the outcome, as we know it, of the Italian election as meaning anything significant for the UK. This is partly because Italy has a unique electoral history, since the foundation of the Republic, that has a habit of producing unexpected political outcomes. The nature of any coalition that is created, if any, will determine what sort of policies are followed, and for how long. At the moment, there appear only to be uneasy bedfellows.

From a UK perspective, in my opinion, the likelihood of extended political horse trading in Italy is quite possibly the worst outcome that could have been imagined. In order to get the best possible trading arrangement, following Brexit (and I doubt very much whether the "vision" outlined on Friday will achieve it), the UK actually needs an EU that is less divided and less caught up with any internal wrangling. Unless, of course, the UK Government wants to leave without any deal.

The way that the EU operates means that the EU27 have already managed sufficient compromise between themselves to deliver a single negotiating position. Whilst the message coming from the EU27 to date has not been music to the ears of those who are "leading" the UK at the minute, it is at least consistent and coherent. It is much, much easier to negotiate with one party over Brexit, and then any future trading arrangement, than to try to influence competing factions.

Well you know my view on the 'negotiation' ( ie that there is not one, only the EU saying the same thing over and over and 'soft' Brexiteers-aka Remainers, deluding themselves into hearing something else, Corbyn being the latest to put in the ear plugs).
    However, my point about the decline of Social Democracy across Europe is that these parties have tended to be the most federalist. Macron's EU project needs pro EU parties to be in power to proceed.
    If I were in the negotiations I would be insisting that no deal was better than a bad deal in order to encourage the fragmentation of the EU's bargaining unity. No other approach will work.

Some of the traditional pre-crash parties are in decline but not Labouur, Portuguese left and M5*. What do these three have in common?
    They are populist anti-austerity. M5* tried to leave the MEP group containing UKIP and join a more liberal coalition.

So we agree that there is a new pressure on the Euro elite. And the French populist left plus Podemos are also on a healthy 20%.

And we agree that there is no negotiation - May is talking nonsense. We either take a Canada deal or we ask for a Norway deal. All the rest of her speech is fluff to burn another few months away. The UK either accepts the authority of the ECJ for all the bits affecting business or we are a tad screwed.

This divergence speak is rubbish - the UK operates under a common code or not. And if we don't then FDI will choose the 500 million consumers over us.
    Fiiish said:

I mean really saying the EU only exists to promote France and Germany is like saying the UN only exists to combat the Nazi threat.

So Remainers, any comments on Italy following France and voting for a majority of EU sceptical parties? The tide of history is still moving in only one direction.
    A short term trend isn't a tide, Eurosceptical doesn't mean anti-EU on the continent and people much smarter than you and who actually know what's going on in these countries have already attributed these developments as due to internal issues as opposed to wider malaise at the EU.

But feel free to continue to spout the same cretinous shit over and over again if it makes you feel better. Just don't do it on this forum.
    I love your idea that eurosceptical does not mean anti-EU. Surely exploring that idea needs a thread of its own.

But on a serious point, the decline of the pro EU left/centre parties is not short term, as anybody who is much smarter than me and knows what is going on will tell you.Ask Prague for example.
    Hang on a minute. I think we all have two problems in trying to debate reasonably with you.

1. You associate any party dubbed (by British commentators, always) as remotely Eurosceptic with a British style drive to leave the EU.

2. You assume that anyone who describe themselves as pro-Europe or Europhile is an unquestioning sheep like supporter of the way the EU functions.

Both these propositions are fundamentally false. I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on Italian politics, and those who are will caution that even they are far from clear what Five Star stands for. But several hours earlier I posted a Reuters report of their leader's speech which rendered your late remarks redundant. You have a brand new party in France led by a very young President. It is centre-left. It is pro EU. Both the two currently strongest parties here in the Czech Republic are new parties, broadly centre-left. The second is the Pirates, inspired by their Swedish counterparts. Neither have a remotely anti-EU platform of the type propogated by your English heroes.You yourself have just designated Labour a Social Democratic party which is pro EU. I don't agree with you, but where is the "decline" there?

@Charlton Madrid summarised it admirably. being critical about something and wanting to modernise it doesn't equate necessarily to abandoning it, cutting your nose off to spite your face.
    Most of the people around me are inevitably pro or at least not anti EU, but I cannot think of one who does not have a idea of how it could work better. I was contemplating the similarity between Five Star, the Czech Pirates, and the Austrian centre right party - all three leaders are, remarkably, aged 31, and thinking, maybe this is exactly what Europe needs.
    The Tory Party as a whole did not want to leave the EU either, and still does not. It was thd people who made that decision.I agree with you that none of these new parties want to leave the EU. My point is that all over Europe two things are happening, one is the decline of the old, pro centre left EU parties. One important factor in their decline is that they have come to represent the urban middle classes and they have lost working class support.
    The second is that there is a strong eurosceptic feeling and an anti-immigrant feeling which are represented in the new populist movements. This makes it very hard for Macron and other federalists to pursue their centralising agenda.
    I agree with you that these new movements may end up having positive outcomes, but their current incoherence is not very promising.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Chippy, chippy. The BBC's European editor is Katya Adler. She is not a big fan of the EU bureaucracy (neither am I, nor I am sure is Fishy).

So read carefully what she writes in this analysis

Just some clips:

Which leads us to something else Europe's populist parties have in common: a hefty dose of Euroscepticism.
    I'm speaking here of Euroscepticism in the European style, rather than the UK-style which this is sometimes misunderstood as in the UK press.
    Marine Le Pen tweeted her congratulations to Italy today.
    This election was the next European chapter in the awakening of the people, she said.
    What she did not augur was an imminent Italexit - Italy's exit from the European Union.As she knows from personal experience in France where she flirted with promoting Frexit, the expectation that European countries would fall one by one like dominos out of the EU after the UK's Brexit vote has fallen flat.
    Italy's populists - like those in Austria in their recent general election - had to back away from earlier promises to pull out of the euro currency.
    Italian voters want the EU to reform but not disappear.

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Don't like it up you do you... Another two pages filled up with your bollocks. Listen to real news and take the ear muffs off. Better still wait to read the remainian tomorrow.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Nadou said:

To be fair Chippy actually thinks clicking the little smiley face under each post actually has a real world impact so he probably thinks clicking the smiley face makes the exchange rate better or something.
    No sadly makes you talk more shit... Do you actually work.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Chippy, chippy. The BBC's European editor is Katya Adler. She is not a big fan of the EU bureaucracy (neither am I, nor I am sure is Fishy).

Just some clips:

Which leads us to something else Europe's populist parties have in common: a hefty dose of Euroscepticism.
    I'm speaking here of Euroscepticism in the European style, rather than the UK-style which this is sometimes misunderstood as in the UK press.
    This election was the next European chapter in the awakening of the people, she said.
    What she did not augur was an imminent Italexit - Italy's exit from the European Union.As she knows from personal experience in France where she flirted with promoting Frexit, the expectation that European countries would fall one by one like dominos out of the EU after the UK's Brexit vote has fallen flat.
    Italy's populists - like those in Austria in their recent general election - had to back away from earlier promises to pull out of the euro currency.

Its been on the news all day..
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Don't like it up you do you... Another two pages filled up with your bollocks. Listen to real news and take the ear muffs off. Better still wait to read the remainian tomorrow.
    None of the news agencies called Five Star anti-EU. That much is true.

Your post I quoted is just another one of your lies Chippy. The thing is no one falls for your lies anymore because you seem incapable of speaking the truth. You were never in the forces, you don't do business in Germany, you don't watch the news, you don't have a passport nailed to a wall and you never had to check under your car. Kindly bog off, seriously, no one gives a shit about whatever your next lie is going to be.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Just some clips:

The problem you 'reformers' have is that the only EU reform that appears to be on the agenda is Macron's federalizing one. This runs counter to the eurosceptic drift of the European peoples and has very little support in the leading parties, even in Germany. This conundrum is going to lead to continued drift in EU governance.
  • Options

Nadou said:

Where were you able to get better than spot rate from?
    Barclays Bank Basingstoke was 1.11 in Alton this afternoon and 1.10 in tui.
  • Options

Nadou said:

Bullshit.

The lowest rate in March 2013 was 1.143 and the highest was 1.182.

Why do you insist on spouting such easily provable lies? You must know the internet exists, you fucking on it!
    Were you there when i exchanged no...thanks for the tip re internet...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Your post I quoted is just another one of your lies Chippy. The thing is no one falls for your lies anymore because you seem incapable of speaking the truth. You were never in the forces, you don't do business in Germany, you don't watch the news, you don't have a passport nailed to a wall and you never had to check under your car. Kindly bog off, seriously, no one gives a shit about whatever your next lie is going to be.
    Err https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-43272700
    I am afraid that banging your head against a wall generally does not make it go away
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

I am afraid that banging your head against a wall generally does not make it go away
    Hmm strange, couldn't find the phrase "anti-EU" in that article.

Seriously, do you try this hard to make yourself look stupid or does it come naturally?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Say what you like i never said i was in the forces i said i worked for the armed forces... And in some way still do. I don't have an irish passport nailed to a wall its nailed on my whiteboard.... From someone who wasn't around in the 70's you will never know what it was like living under IRA terror. And practice what you preach. Still got no mortgage. I am back in Cologne at the start of May for a month... And ditto your last paragraph. Lost count of how many other posters have told you the same. Not just here....
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Seriously, do you try this hard to make yourself look stupid or does it come naturally?
    I forgot, you think that eurosceptic and anti EU mean different things. As I said, I think a discussion on that is worth a thread of its own. But it is strange that commentators all over the media are saying that a Five Star/ Lega alliance woud be a big problem for the EU.
    Maybe you should let the EU know they have nothing to worry about. They will be relieved.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Your pissing in the wind with this idiot.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

I forgot, you think that eurosceptic and anti EU mean different things. As I said, I think a discussion on that is worth a thread of its own. But it is strange that commentators all over the media are saying that a Five Star/ Lega alliance woud be a big problem for the EU.
    Maybe you should let the EU know they have nothing to worry about. They will be relieved.
    Cameron's Tories were classed as Eurosceptic by the media but still promoted membership of the EU. As do the vast majority of parties winning across Europe.

I would class anti-EU as those who want to leave the EU. If Euroscepticism is winning across Europe all that would do is halt the further integration of Europe, not break the EU up.
  • Options

Nadou said:

Bullshit.

The lowest rate in March 2013 was 1.143 and the highest was 1.182.

Why do you insist on spouting such easily provable lies? You must know the internet exists, you fucking on it!
    Were you there when i exchanged no...thanks for the tip re internet...
    What does the rate you got matter? That's not the exchange rate, any more than if my mum gave me £10 for a 10 euro note I've got left from Finland would make the current exchange 1.0.

You're a moron, or a troll, or both. You add absolutely nothing of any worth to this or any other thread and this will be the last time I feed the troll. You disdain internet links so much, would be better for everyone if you lost the link to this site.
    You've lost the plot and ditto. Tell me where you have added something.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Cameron's Tories were classed as Eurosceptic by the media but still promoted membership of the EU. As do the vast majority of parties winning across Europe.

I would class anti-EU as those who want to leave the EU. If Euroscepticism is winning across Europe all that would do is halt the further integration of Europe, not break the EU up.
    I agree with you on the general drift. The problem is that without further integration the EU project cannot work. A currency needs a central bank and a state to guarantee it. The Eurozone is very vulnerable without more centralisation and ultimately a central state. I doubt there is a single country in Europe which has a majority that would support a centralised federal Europe. That is why the project is doomed.
    Better a loose trading bloc of sovereign states. Get rid of Juncker, Selmayr and all those who have nothing but contempt for the nation state, historically the only guarantor of democracy.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!