Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CRYSTAL PALACE HAVE SCORED A GOAL

Comments

• Watching Pointless the other day and they had a round where they gave a description of words which are also club nicknames.

Clue was large birds of prey with hooked beak and large talons.

Contestant says I think that's eagles but don't know any football clubs with that nickname.

Well it made me chuckle anyway.
  • There seems to be an obsession with A Question of Sport and Palace. Nearly every week they have a question related to them.
  • rananegra said:

Did Palace copy 'Eagles' from Benfica?

No, when they developed their county rivalry with Brighton they changed it so it rhymed with Seagulls.

As if you needed another reason to hate them.
    Malcolm Allison had a strong recent record as a coach, having won trophies with Manchester City as an assistant to Joe Mercer. Allison, or 'Big Mal' as he was nicknamed in the press, had a flamboyant personality which was something of a change for the club, who previously had a rather conservative image. "The Glaziers" became "The Eagles" and the club changed its colours from the original claret and sky blue to a red and dark blue scheme inspired by Barcelona. The Eagle was also introduced as the club mascot at this time, an idea borrowed from Benfica, and the club badge was redesigned.
    How very artificial....

How very palace.

• Didn't Leeds do something similar under Revie and changed to all white to be like Real Madrid? Think they used to play in blue and yellow before?

Mind you as stated above Palace had to copy two clubs.
  • iaitch said:

Didn't Leeds do something similar under Revie and changed to all white to be like Real Madrid? Think they used to play in blue and yellow before?

Three clubs if you include the Brazil away kit
  • iaitch said:

Didn't Leeds do something similar under Revie and changed to all white to be like Real Madrid? Think they used to play in blue and yellow before?

Three clubs if you include the Brazil away kit
    As I mentioned above....absolute plastic copying cu..s.
  • Thank god we support The Robins/ Valiant's / Addicks
  • Wilfried Zaha has been suspended for one game and fined £10,000 after accepting a charge of improper conduct following his dismissal against Southampton, he still has the right to appeal.
    Was hoping for a 3 match ban, and 10k is loose change to him.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Thank god we support The Robins/ Valiant's / Addicks
    Not the same thing though, is it? Nicknames evolve and fade in and out of fashion. I'm sure Ipswich weren't always known as the Tractor Boys for example. Only a club without any real history of its own would copy something else: it's a far cry from teams adopting a strip because a larger club lent them kit. It's more "we think they're good so we'll nick something about them and try to get some glory by association". 
  • rananegra said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Thank god we support The Robins/ Valiant's / Addicks
    Not the same thing though, is it? Nicknames evolve and fade in and out of fashion. I'm sure Ipswich weren't always known as the Tractor Boys for example. Only a club without any real history of its own would copy something else: it's a far cry from teams adopting a strip because a larger club lent them kit. It's more "we think they're good so we'll nick something about them and try to get some glory by association". 

This is exactly right. We used to be nicknamed The Dockers (for obvious reasons). We became the Lions when the press nicknamed us The Lions of the South, after our cup exploits at the turn of the last century, where as a semi pro club we took the scalps of quite a few of the northern giants of the time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought that diving prick was banned for another game? Salvaged a point for an otherwise terrible Palarse team, Benteke is truly woeful, Batshuayi came on for him and looked just as bad, McArthur also with a comical miss. 
  • sam3110 said:
    I thought that diving prick was banned for another game? Salvaged a point for an otherwise terrible Palarse team, Benteke is truly woeful, Batshuayi came on for him and looked just as bad, McArthur also with a comical miss. 
    The additional suspension hasn't started yet
  • Still a good possibility for the stripey ,not allowed to swear, Surrey based team to get relegated.
  • Crystal Palace have trolled Australian side Newcastle Jets for launching a similar set of kits to their own. (Talksport)

Just seen this on BBC Sport. So they can copy other kits but object when other clubs copy theirs.
  • iaitch said:
    Crystal Palace have trolled Australian side Newcastle Jets for launching a similar set of kits to their own. (Talksport)

Just seen this on BBC Sport. So they can copy other kits but object when other clubs copy theirs.
    What a bunch of twats!!
  • the day palace take the piss out of someones appearance, get your black jackets back on you nailed on virgin surrey twats
  • As its plural surely is should be 'les' not 'le'?
  • edited February 2019

That Blue and Red stripes are a lot smaller on newcastles jets kit and personally i dont think they are that simular, other than the colour
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:
    As its plural surely is should be 'les' not 'le'?
    Make you right, “les cunts”
  • I know they're Aussies but that is so cruel.  Foisting on it an association with the most ridiculous club in England.   Red and blue
    ...  DOES NOT GO!!!!

• That Blue and Red stripes are a lot smaller on newcastles jets kit and personally i dont think they are that simular, other than the colour
    Their owner must be a Palace fan.....cu.t.
  • edited February 2019
    Their new main rivals seem to be Watford...

https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=174066
    lol! Desperate to find a rival somewhere, isnt helping that the only other team from Surrey in the Football League are going back down to League Two this year

Congratulations to @Super_Horns for winding them up enough at recent games for them to care so much

Nice to see a few of them saying that they hate Charlton despite not caring about us apparently
  • is a rivalry that never existed over ( brighton ) - they are a pathetic club we could be playing vcd as our local derby and i would still be over the fucking moon not to be a palace fan.

• HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    View ChrisGCs Profile ChrisGC Flag Wantage Yesterday 7.56amSend a Private Message to ChrisGC Add ChrisGC as a friend

It's definitely over. I've been to the last two away league games and the rivalry is incredibly one sided. They're not interested one bit. It's a stadium full of premier league customers. I'd be surprised if Brighton was the first team of even 20% of the clients in there, it's just another game for them.

Being in my thirties I missed the height of the rivalry and although I do hate Brighton, the big rivalry for me is Millwall or Charlton. I still remember getting relegated at the valley and their fans dining out on it for years. Old Cyril Sneer going to manage them was a kick in the bollox too.

Much like the play-off final, I wish I had been older to experience just how special that day was