Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Not quite at ParkRun level yet but been for 2 30 minute runs (with a bit of walking half way through) this week. Trying to get fit after far too many years of drinking too much beer 😂. Running is a lot harder than it used to be.
    Well done. I’d say you probably are at Parkrun level, the well supported ones are full of people who jog and walk (and even just walk). At Danson today of the 319 there, about 60% finished between 30 and 58 mins. You’ll find it really encouraging being around others. 
    I'll l have a look into it 
    AFKA is right.  Plenty walking or jogging slowly at Shorne Woods today. After getting 2 Shorne Woods PBs in the last 2 weeks I was a little slower today at 34:25.  Part of the fun for speedsters like me is slipstreaming the walkers -;)

• Options
    Good to see you AFKA.

Finished 1st in my newish 40-44 age category which I’m pleased about. Then again, I could be the only one in that category.
  • Options
    Proper fresh this morning, well done all who got out. Who run where?

Was nice to bump into @WSS at Greenwich 
    I woke up early and had to take the lad to a football game so couldn't do a oarkrun, did run 5k up the hill to Greenwich park, round the flat bit and then home.  Wry dark at 6am and cold which probably helped the time. 
  • Options
    Not quite at ParkRun level yet but been for 2 30 minute runs (with a bit of walking half way through) this week. Trying to get fit after far too many years of drinking too much beer 😂. Running is a lot harder than it used to be.
    Well done. I’d say you probably are at Parkrun level, the well supported ones are full of people who jog and walk (and even just walk). At Danson today of the 319 there, about 60% finished between 30 and 58 mins. You’ll find it really encouraging being around others. 
    I'll second that. Danson's a good place to start because of the wide variety of people who do it, actually. 

I did Charlton this morning in a decent 33:02 - well over 200 there today.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Just been out and done 5k, 26:31 which i think might be a pb but I've got a new watch and forgot to save the previous data. Anyone else running the stafford half next weekend ? 
  • Options
    Slow old pootlin around rooting gooting tooting today
  • Options
    5th time in a row at Shorne Woods today and despite finding it really hard going I managed 2 seconds outside my SW PB.
  • Options
    Did the stafford half yesterday, managed 2:06:11 which I'm pretty chuffed with as I was pacing a mate round for his first ever hm. Hoping to get under 2:05 for the LLHM in 2 weeks. 
  • Options
    Went over to Raphael parkrun in Romford this morning - managed to escape the worst of the rain (until just after the run). Nice park, surprisingly speedy course.

One of our group there this morning has now done all 61 London parkruns. 
  • Options
    First park run today since I don't know when. Hunstanton Promenade. Fast course. I wasn't and set a new PW. People keep telling me it'll come back. Well I can tell them so far, It isn't!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went to Nonsuch near Sutton. It was muddy.

I joined a running club a few months ago and we do lots of intervals, but I haven't felt an improvement to my Parkruns yet. I was 10 minutes quicker at the Dartford Half than last year though, so maybe I'm more a long distance runner. 
  • Options
    Needs to not be raining at leaving time for me so that’s another one missed…like last week 
  • Options
    I also finished Londone this week at Stockley country Parkrun.
  • Options
    A return to Market Harborough today for my 179th PR. Always enjoyable as it was where I did my first, but more than 50 there now. Slowly getting it back. Doing 10k tomorrow with my running club at Pitsford Reservoir. An early start after an hours less sleep 😟
  • Options
    Did the Coniston 14 mile race up in the Lake District today. 1 hour 46 minutes 
    If that's as hilly as I suspect it is that's a very respectable time! Well done even if it's flat. 
  • Options
    If that's as hilly as I suspect it is that's a very respectable time! Well done even if it's flat. 
    Extremely hilly. Believe me!! 
  • Options
    Hi all. Just joining this thread as my depressing recant running is a good tonic from the takeover thread. 2023 was supposed to be the year I got back towards how I used to run pre becoming a dad but injury niggles and sickness have delayed that. Anyway, I did my first parkrun of the year yesterday at Homewood. Hilly and muddy and would be fun if I was fit. 🤣
  • Options
    Definitely ready for a Parkrun. Report back next week. 👍
  • Options
    Oops just realised that was a month ago. Perhaps you have already run one. 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done @Rufus98 good luck getting back into it. 

Pissing down this morning so I’m hoping to get out this afternoon 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    My running has dropped off a cliff. Not literally, but for the last year or so I've really struggled with minor injuries, lack of energy and illness and it has massively effected my motivation.

I've never, ever struggled to get out, almost religiously, at least three times a week and even after a break through illness or a bad back or whatever, would soon get back to where I was beforehand. 

I've tried to assess why and best I can come up with is I had some sort of bug around Christmas 2022 and it's left me really struggling for any energy or oomph since. Any power or kick I had seems to have gone, my comfortable cruising speed is now a crawl and distances that I would barely be warmed up after are now a challenge.

On top of that I'm picking up injuries that are taking much longer to get over than they should. All of which is impacting on my motivation and I'm finding myself looking for excuses not to get the trainers on.

In conclusion I think I maybe whatever I had (not Covid) has left me with something post viral...or age and the miles in my legs are catching up with me! 

• Options
    I was 3rd at Foots Cray yesterday - of only 24 people!

The winter course is so much better than the flat field summer one. Next week is probably the last week that goes over the arches then into the woods and up the hill, so I'd recommend it.
  • Options
    Planned on park run yesterday but skipped it as just breaking the back of a cold (same as last year I have suffered a minor injury followed by respiratory illness). Volunteered for the first time last week and it was cold and wet but fun. 

Got a half marathon in the calendar for June on the IOW and deciding whether to try the north downs run again.  
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Damp and windy at Charlton parkrun, but got round!

Some people might enjoy this video from Charlton parkrun from last autumn, although a lot more of it features a run from Falconwood! Same guy has Avery Hill and Foots Cray on his channel too.

(Viewer warning: I'm in this for a couple of seconds.)

https://youtu.be/w_DlEo_VV98
  • Options
    Great time, I'd be buzzing if that was 14 miles down hill ! 
  • Options
    Managed 17 miles on Friday, marathon training 2nd time round is proving to be far less fun. Probably the weather, reason for running it maybe playing on my mind but I'm really not enjoying it. Think il stick to half's after this one as they don't seem to takeover my life.
  • Options
    Saw a photo of a guy in a Charlton shirt doing the Hastings Half this morning.
  • Options
    Well done @Rufus98 good luck getting back into it. 

Pissing down this morning so I’m hoping to get out this afternoon 
    Are you home yet ?  :)
  • Options
    got back into the groove after over a year absence and did my new nearest parkrun at Mote park, an undulating but pleasant circuit