Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Pico said:
    I've got used to being the first at Charlton in the 70-74 age bracket.

Pleasantly smug.

Some bloke beat my time by more than 2 minutes this morning.

Demoralising. Hope he's a tourist. 
    Brilliant running @pico

You’re safe, he’s a tourist. A 306 Parkrun veteran and club runner.

looking at the results I had friends just in front and just behind you. Must pop over to Charlton sometime 
    Thanks. I obviously scared him off as he didn't turn up this week and I'm back at number 1 in the over 70s. 

• Options
    31 runners under 20 mins on that Thames Path course today! 

Recognise quite a few names down the results from Greenwich 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Had a stumble about 1/3 of the way through the second (final) lap this morning. Styled it out but over stretched something which had me in marginal pain for the remainder. Happy with my Strava time given that but when the results came through, they’d somehow shaved 3-minutes off my Strava time bless them, I’ll take it though, be months till I can do that without assistance…
  • Options
    Went over to Walthamstow this morning - surprisingly hard going for a course that's basically three times round some football pitches off the North Circular Road. 

Glad to see that Charlton held up at 166 today (pretty much their average number) amid all the interest in Woolwich. 

Foots Cray Meadows parkrun is having a tough time and needs more people to help run it: https://www.parkrun.org.uk/footscraymeadows/news/2023/05/08/fcm-needs-your-help/
  • Options
    Any advice please? 

My Garmin watch accurately recorded my run this morning. I saved as normal, it shows my last run details accurately on my watch. 

When I update my Garmin Connect on my phone it doesn’t recognise the running activity. My steps, heart etc all update fine, it’s just not recognised my run. As a result, my linked Strava won’t have a record of the run.

Anyone had that before? 

• Options
    Any advice please? 

My Garmin watch accurately recorded my run this morning. I saved as normal, it shows my last run details accurately on my watch. 

When I update my Garmin Connect on my phone it doesn’t recognise the running activity. My steps, heart etc all update fine, it’s just not recognised my run. As a result, my linked Strava won’t have a record of the run.

Anyone had that before? 

The older my watch gets the more weird things happen on the connect app. Normally I toggle bluetooth off and on and then try to force sync it

If still no joy you can manually enter a run on Strava on their site

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917857-Uploading-Manual-Activities 
  • Options
    Cheers mate. I can see it on Connect as a Move IQ rather than an activity. Did a short run round the house as an activity to see if it updated with both, but just the 2nd one did.

Bonkers how reliant we have become with technology and data. Genuinely feel like it was a completely wasted effort! 
  • Options
    31 runners under 20 mins on that Thames Path course today! 

Recognise quite a few names down the results from Greenwich 
    Reckon if you’ve the breeze with you, you’ll go some on that route 
  • Options
    Read that Rishi Sunak ran a very hot 10k in his constituency yesterday in 47 minutes. How the hell he finds time to stay in that shape I’ll never know. Always staggers me come marathon time people like Gordon Ramsey and Chris Evans get their way round fine when their lives must be 24/7 busy. I can’t get anywhere near finding the time to regular exercise 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Read that Rishi Sunak ran a very hot 10k in his constituency yesterday in 47 minutes. How the hell he finds time to stay in that shape I’ll never know. Always staggers me come marathon time people like Gordon Ramsey and Chris Evans get their way round fine when their lives must be 24/7 busy. I can’t get anywhere near finding the time to regular exercise 
    Exactly this, I clocked up my 50th Parkrun this weekend, I was pretty pleased with that until I worked out I’d managed just 50 across the 224 parkruns that had occurred since I first went…
  • Options
    I did Lanhydrock ParkRun down in Cornwall at the weekend. Horrendously hilly (trail) course but really scenic.
  • Options
    Did my first half marathon in April, signed up to another half in Sept and my first marathon in Oct. Looking forward to the training and seeing the progress...the running bug has really caught me!
  • Options
    interested in people's thoughts.. I've got a very tight calf muscle, which hurt yesterday after the parkrun, and I can still feel now. Am I best giving running a rest for a week or two, or strapping it? I don't want to make it worse.
  • Options
    If it’s very tight rest for a week, also roll and stretch it should ease the tightness. You could always park walk or tail walk next week if you still want to Parkrun.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    interested in people's thoughts.. I've got a very tight calf muscle, which hurt yesterday after the parkrun, and I can still feel now. Am I best giving running a rest for a week or two, or strapping it? I don't want to make it worse.
    As a veteran of calf injuries rest it, limit it to walking or cycling/swimming. 

Often calf injuries are caused due to weakness elsewhere. Core strength improvements help as does working on hamstrings and ankles alongside any direct work on the calf itself.
  • Options
    Well that was a warm one…I’ll forgive myself the 4mins slower and put it down to stopping to sip the sweat from my eyes….
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Fumbluff said:
    Well that was a warm one…I’ll forgive myself the 4mins slower and put it down to stopping to sip the sweat from my eyes….
    Best tip I was given from a veteran marathon runner, thin layer of vaseline across eyebrows and bridge of nose directs all the sweat down the side of your face and not into your eyes!

Used to always do it, even if it was so hot I had to wear a cap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Slowest time ever today! 30.45 or something. Blame the heat, blame the killer hayfever, but mainly blame the vegetable Naga for making me have to run fully clenched for the last 3k
  • Options
    I'm on my way home from Yarborough Leisure Centre - a newish 'Y' tick in Lincoln.

It's a wide tarmac course with only 50ft-ish uphill, so worth a PB attempt as well as being our nearest Parkrun Y. Definitely worth a night over and a little sightseeing before Charlton's visit next season.
  • Options
    Congratulations @InspectorSands

• Options
    Last week slowest ever time, today 27.48 and my best time since 2020. Glad it was slightly overcast with a breeze today as last week was boiling, which is probably something to do with it. 

Ended up near the front at the beginning which is great for setting a pace even if you get overtaken a lot
  • Options
    Over 27 mins at Corby today. PB there is 24 but a distant memory and and I'm happy enough with my effort. It's a tough course, my 54th time there, but my first this year. Thinking I might enter a ten mile event in the autumn as I find halves hard going these days.
  • Options
    I took a steady trot round shorne yesterday. The dry weather made the first half a lap like a dust storm. But was enjoyable as was the coffee afterwards. 
  • Options
    How’s everyone coping runnng in the better weather? I struggle badly as soon as it gets hotter, sun drains me out silly. Have dragged myself round 3 morning / evening 5-6ks in the last week, but it’s not been enjoyable