Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oldham v Charlton | Sat 02 Sep | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Sage said:

Southbank said:

Oldham Athletic v Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 2nd September 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Ross Joyce (Cleveland)

Introduction

With the Transfer Window closing in its usual way last night its time to take stock of the Charlton squad, accept the hand that we’ve been dealt with and continue to look forward to the bright season we’ve had so far. Of course with the first International weekend now upon us that leaves us without an experienced Striker in what could see our promotion hopes extinct and deep in the brown stuff – Yet this Saturday sees the Addicks travel to the last of their four away trips on the road before we return to the Valley; with a trip to Oldham Athletic.

The Opposition
    Name: Oldham Athletic | Manager: John Sheridan
    League Form: (P)-4 | (W)-0 | (D)-0 | (L)-0 | (GS)-2 | (GC)-8

Because of deadline day yesterday I decided to delay the preview 24-hours in case of any movement from either club and for Oldham that involved a busy day with four players joining the club in an effort to get the Latics first points on the board this season…

Because for reasons just mentioned its not been the greatest of starts for John Sheridan and his men this season, defeat in every game so far has left Oldham in the relegation zone and are only off the bottom courtesy of goal difference… Yet despite being one of the founding Premier League teams, Oldham are now an established League One side and having been at this level for 20-years (the Latics were relegated in 1997 from the Championship) it won’t going to be a case of going quietly by any means.

Incoming over the last 24-hours have seen the likes of Eoin Doyle (Striker) on loan from Preston who scored 21-goals at this level for Chesterfield just two years ago whilst two new Goalkeepers have been signed with Haitian International; Johny Placide coming in on a free transfer and Jack Ruddy coming in on loan from Wolves… With the Addicks having picked up just the single point against Oldham last season, this without doubt will be the type of must win game if we want to be promoted and so continue our good form from August.

Charlton Team News
    This time last season the Addicks were having a break from Football as various players left on International Duty. This time round though its not the same story and despite Josh Magennis (Northern Ireland) and Jay Dasilva (England U20s) being with their respective squads, its not enough for this match to be cancelled and so the show must continue.

The question though on many fans lips is who will play up front this week… With Magennis absent, many presumed it would be Lee Novak leading the line yet with the Gateshead-born Striker leaving for Scunthorpe on deadline day we’re left with the inexperience of either Joe Dodoo (signed yesterday from Rangers) or Recco Hackett-Fairchild who at least has the added benefit of familiarity amongst the rest of the squad. Of course with Ben Reeves impressing in the Football League Trophy on Tuesday night there could be the potential to see Billy Clarke filling in as Striker with Ben Reeves operating in the middle of midfield… Who knows these days!!

Amos
    Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Jackson
    Kashi | Forster-Caskey
    Holmes | Reeves | Fosu
    Clarke

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Konsa | Aribo | Lapslie | Dodoo | Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
    I notice I’m repeating myself a bit in this preview yet as stated, if we want to win then we must win this sort of game… There were too many lost points against teams towards the bottom of the league last season and its imperative that we learn to break these sides down, with so many potential changes to the Oldham squad in such short notice, this is the time to take advantage of that.
    How many starting appearances has that bench had between them?
    In total, including league, cup etc, I would say about 70. That's mainly down to how much Konsa played for us last season. Without him, about 40 starts between the other 6, two of course have never started for us.
    Granted wiki doesn't specify between sub appearances . :wink:
  • Options
    1-3 to the Addicks, Bauer and a Holmes double.
  • Options
    The exciting new era with no strikers continues.

• Options

JamesSeed said:

Pre match nerves kicking in.
    It'll be very interesting to see the line-up.
    Hope Dodoo comes on for 20 mins when we're three up.

Hmmm. JS is nervous....

Maybe I should shake the mothballs out of my voluminous brown knickers.
    What colour were they when you bought 'em, Fanny?

• Options
    Paul Merson predicts 2-0 so thats good enough for me.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

dickplumb said:

Reeves won't be in the starting line up.

Any idea who will start up front?
    I have a feeling it will be Clarke with Forster - Caskey in the more advanced role and Aribo alongside Kashi. I think that Dodoo and Reeves will be coming on as Subs.

• Options
    _MrDick said:

Paul Merson predicts 2-0 so thats good enough for me.

He is unlikely to know who was in out team at the start of the season let alone after the transfer window has shut.

If he is going for a 2-0 win then I'm definitely going for a 2-0 loss.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Scoham said:

dickplumb said:

Reeves won't be in the starting line up.

Any idea who will start up front?
    I have a feeling it will be Clarke with Forster - Caskey in the more advanced role and Aribo alongside Kashi. I think that Dodoo and Reeves will be coming on as Subs.

Can see the sense in that but kind of confirms RHF isn't seen as ready and therefore shouldn't be 3rd choice.
  • Options
    thanks for the info red
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No one considering KAG as the lone striker?
  • Options
    edited September 2017

RedChaser said:

seeing as Charlton are one of the Sky Super 6 matches today, I've backed them to win 2-0. I'm still waiting to see my next door neighbour re Jo Dodoo, hope to see him this morning so I can report back.

Yes please Red and if he plays I'll try and focus on him for my match report later on.
    @RedChaser Ok just spoken to my next door neighbour, he worked with Jo for 4 years, he was their best player in u23's, he is a bit like Geoff Schulp. He is not a natural Num 9, he prefers and always did for LCFC play off either right or left wing. He is strong and has a cracking shot on him, he needs to play and be involved not happy on bench. LCFC wanted to keep him but he didnt sign a new contract. Neighbour is surprised he is with us now. Hope that helps.
    That sounds fair, I remember at the time he was highly thought of at Leicester. So an ideal 3rd striking option, something a bit different from Magennis and Novak
  • Options

RedChaser said:

seeing as Charlton are one of the Sky Super 6 matches today, I've backed them to win 2-0. I'm still waiting to see my next door neighbour re Jo Dodoo, hope to see him this morning so I can report back.

Yes please Red and if he plays I'll try and focus on him for my match report later on.
    @RedChaser Ok just spoken to my next door neighbour, he worked with Jo for 4 years, he was their best player in u23's, he is a bit like Geoff Schulp. He is not a natural Num 9, he prefers and always did for LCFC play off either right or left wing. He is strong and has a cracking shot on him, he needs to play and be involved not happy on bench. LCFC wanted to keep him but he didnt sign a new contract. Neighbour is surprised he is with us now. Hope that helps.
    Thanks @RedChaser
    Karl says JoE now want to play CF for what it's worth.
  • Options

Every time I've seen him he shows potential. But the nine role requires an eye for goal and a positional sense that he may not have yet?
    I wouldn't be distraught if he started there today though, as it'd be a great opportunity for him. And presumably the coaches must have had go at showing him what the role is all about.
    Shoooooooooottttt!!
  • Options

Karl doesn't seem to. I couldn't see him being physical enough myself.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Karl doesn't seem to. I couldn't see him being physical enough myself.
    Beef up a bit recently. Not seen him win much in the air or play with his back to goal but he is a striker more than a winger IMO
  • Options
    I agree Henry. As that quick number 9 to get in behind that Robinson said about. I think he still has a future there. Another left filed shout what about trying Konsa there.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I personally would have kept one of the big lads, Umerah or Hanlan, and loaned out KAG to League 2, and had Magennis, Dodoo, Umerah/Hanlan and RHF as the options, as I think we need a physical presence and I'm not sure KAG fits the bill.

(I mean obviously i would have signed Grigg or Gooden and kept Novak as well, but yeah)
  • Options
    Is there no prediction league this week?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Is there no prediction league this week?

No mate
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Nope. Still can't see where the goals are going to come from. If you don't need a striker then Lukaku wouldn't have been bought for £70 Million.
  • Options
    Fuck has happened to Reeves ?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!