Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oldham v Charlton | Sat 02 Sep | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Oldham 3 0 Charlton
    Start of our downfall relegated by April
    I'll be as happy as pig in shit with odds of 14/1 to be relegated after having 50 notes on it
  • Options
    After a pleasing transfer deadline day or not the natives are restless. Missing 2 key players and no shot in the arm late transfers. Exact opposite for Oldham and for that reason I think it will be a scrappy win for them. 1-0 Oldham.
  • Options
    Sort of excited about playing with an attacking front four especially if there centre backs are not very mobile
  • Options
    Ross Joyce has brandished 34 yellow cards in the 6 games he has took charge of this season, 12 in the last game of Mansfield v Luton.

With Oldham most likely be happy with a draw and playing negatively, I can his form continue and give out a few tomorrow. Expecting a very stop-start game but it could mean that with our front 4, we get a lot of free kicks around the box.
  • Options
    Honestly, don't you lot know anything.

Of course it will be....

Amos
    Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Jackson
    Kashi, JFC
    Fosu, Clarke, Holmes
    Sarr

You wanted a big fella up front who can also defend corners!
  • Options
    This game will be a proxy for what happens when we have a couple of key injuries. A situation I suspect we will face sooner rather than later. I'm genuinely excited by our first 11 but worried what happens when a couple miss out. Double worried when one of them is Josh. Win this tomorrow and I'll probably buy a season ticket. Lose and I'll suck it and see till Christmas
  • Options
    Nervy about this one as Oldham will get a result at some point, but we should be good enough to get something 1-1
  • Options
    I think this has the makings of a gritty and difficult game, with Oldham straining every sinew to grind out a result. As others have said, the first goal will be absolutely vital.

Jacko at left back worries me and I wondered if Nabby Sarr might be able to fill in there. It's not his position but he's extremely strong in the air and the accuracy of his passing and long balls would probably offer us more offensively. I very much doubt it will happen and you can't realistically gainsay the view of the coaching staff who work with these players day in, day out.

It's hard to imagine Joe Dodoo starting, given that he's had no first team action this season and will only be meeting his new colleagues for the first time this evening ! Still, needs must and maybe he'll end up playing a chunk of the match with RHF coming off the bench. Let's hope that, whoever plays, he is able to make some of the passes up front 'stick', bring others into play and move the team up the pitch. I expect a key part of John Sheridan's game plan will be to try and ensure that that doesn't happen.
  • Options
    1-1, uncomfortable away day but we come away with a point.
  • Options
    Pre match nerves kicking in.
    It'll be very interesting to see the line-up.
    Hope Dodoo comes on for 20 mins when we're three up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Hmmm. JS is nervous....

Maybe I should shake the mothballs out of my voluminous brown knickers.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Hmmm. JS is nervous....

Nervous wish I was going
    Be excited with the team we've got
  • Options
    Having prepared his team this week with Novak up top, but now having to start after an eleventh hour rethink, I think KR will be pleased to come away with a scrappy three points, which given the mess that Oldham are in, he should get.
    Oldham 0 Charlton Athletic 1
  • Options
    Clarke to start up front
    1-1
    Holmes to score
  • Options
    I see Oldham have signed John Ruddy on loan from Wolves
  • Options
    Jackson must not start at left back!!!!!!!
  • Options
    uie2 said:

I see Oldham have signed John Ruddy on loan from Wolves

Nah they've signed Jack Ruddy
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Hmmm. JS is nervous....

An illusion shattered
    breakfast ruined
    3-0
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Dr Kish is saying tomorrow we've got a ref who's only 31.

Younger than Katrien.

Hopefully more competent.
  • Options
    Given our lack of height perhaps Robbo will consider Big Naby at left back - after seeing him up close at Crawley he would frighten me if I was a small tricky winger ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seeing as Charlton are one of the Sky Super 6 matches today, I've backed them to win 2-0. I'm still waiting to see my next door neighbour re Jo Dodoo, hope to see him this morning so I can report back.
  • Options

seeing as Charlton are one of the Sky Super 6 matches today, I've backed them to win 2-0. I'm still waiting to see my next door neighbour re Jo Dodoo, hope to see him this morning so I can report back.

Yes please Red and if he plays I'll try and focus on him for my match report later on.
  • Options

Oldham Athletic v Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 2nd September 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Ross Joyce (Cleveland)

Introduction

With the Transfer Window closing in its usual way last night its time to take stock of the Charlton squad, accept the hand that we’ve been dealt with and continue to look forward to the bright season we’ve had so far. Of course with the first International weekend now upon us that leaves us without an experienced Striker in what could see our promotion hopes extinct and deep in the brown stuff – Yet this Saturday sees the Addicks travel to the last of their four away trips on the road before we return to the Valley; with a trip to Oldham Athletic.

The Opposition
    Name: Oldham Athletic | Manager: John Sheridan
    League Form: (P)-4 | (W)-0 | (D)-0 | (L)-0 | (GS)-2 | (GC)-8

Because of deadline day yesterday I decided to delay the preview 24-hours in case of any movement from either club and for Oldham that involved a busy day with four players joining the club in an effort to get the Latics first points on the board this season…

Because for reasons just mentioned its not been the greatest of starts for John Sheridan and his men this season, defeat in every game so far has left Oldham in the relegation zone and are only off the bottom courtesy of goal difference… Yet despite being one of the founding Premier League teams, Oldham are now an established League One side and having been at this level for 20-years (the Latics were relegated in 1997 from the Championship) it won’t going to be a case of going quietly by any means.

Incoming over the last 24-hours have seen the likes of Eoin Doyle (Striker) on loan from Preston who scored 21-goals at this level for Chesterfield just two years ago whilst two new Goalkeepers have been signed with Haitian International; Johny Placide coming in on a free transfer and Jack Ruddy coming in on loan from Wolves… With the Addicks having picked up just the single point against Oldham last season, this without doubt will be the type of must win game if we want to be promoted and so continue our good form from August.

Charlton Team News
    This time last season the Addicks were having a break from Football as various players left on International Duty. This time round though its not the same story and despite Josh Magennis (Northern Ireland) and Jay Dasilva (England U20s) being with their respective squads, its not enough for this match to be cancelled and so the show must continue.

The question though on many fans lips is who will play up front this week… With Magennis absent, many presumed it would be Lee Novak leading the line yet with the Gateshead-born Striker leaving for Scunthorpe on deadline day we’re left with the inexperience of either Joe Dodoo (signed yesterday from Rangers) or Recco Hackett-Fairchild who at least has the added benefit of familiarity amongst the rest of the squad. Of course with Ben Reeves impressing in the Football League Trophy on Tuesday night there could be the potential to see Billy Clarke filling in as Striker with Ben Reeves operating in the middle of midfield… Who knows these days!!

Amos
    Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Jackson
    Kashi | Forster-Caskey
    Holmes | Reeves | Fosu
    Clarke

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Konsa | Aribo | Lapslie | Dodoo | Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
    I notice I’m repeating myself a bit in this preview yet as stated, if we want to win then we must win this sort of game… There were too many lost points against teams towards the bottom of the league last season and its imperative that we learn to break these sides down, with so many potential changes to the Oldham squad in such short notice, this is the time to take advantage of that.
    How many starting appearances has that bench had between them?
  • Options

And Joe Dodoo? Sorry for pedantry etc etc

• Options
    I'll take a draw. Anything more would be a bonus.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Southbank said:

Introduction

With the Transfer Window closing in its usual way last night its time to take stock of the Charlton squad, accept the hand that we’ve been dealt with and continue to look forward to the bright season we’ve had so far. Of course with the first International weekend now upon us that leaves us without an experienced Striker in what could see our promotion hopes extinct and deep in the brown stuff – Yet this Saturday sees the Addicks travel to the last of their four away trips on the road before we return to the Valley; with a trip to Oldham Athletic.

The Opposition

Because of deadline day yesterday I decided to delay the preview 24-hours in case of any movement from either club and for Oldham that involved a busy day with four players joining the club in an effort to get the Latics first points on the board this season…

Because for reasons just mentioned its not been the greatest of starts for John Sheridan and his men this season, defeat in every game so far has left Oldham in the relegation zone and are only off the bottom courtesy of goal difference… Yet despite being one of the founding Premier League teams, Oldham are now an established League One side and having been at this level for 20-years (the Latics were relegated in 1997 from the Championship) it won’t going to be a case of going quietly by any means.

Incoming over the last 24-hours have seen the likes of Eoin Doyle (Striker) on loan from Preston who scored 21-goals at this level for Chesterfield just two years ago whilst two new Goalkeepers have been signed with Haitian International; Johny Placide coming in on a free transfer and Jack Ruddy coming in on loan from Wolves… With the Addicks having picked up just the single point against Oldham last season, this without doubt will be the type of must win game if we want to be promoted and so continue our good form from August.

Charlton Team News
    This time last season the Addicks were having a break from Football as various players left on International Duty. This time round though its not the same story and despite Josh Magennis (Northern Ireland) and Jay Dasilva (England U20s) being with their respective squads, its not enough for this match to be cancelled and so the show must continue.

The question though on many fans lips is who will play up front this week… With Magennis absent, many presumed it would be Lee Novak leading the line yet with the Gateshead-born Striker leaving for Scunthorpe on deadline day we’re left with the inexperience of either Joe Dodoo (signed yesterday from Rangers) or Recco Hackett-Fairchild who at least has the added benefit of familiarity amongst the rest of the squad. Of course with Ben Reeves impressing in the Football League Trophy on Tuesday night there could be the potential to see Billy Clarke filling in as Striker with Ben Reeves operating in the middle of midfield… Who knows these days!!

Amos
    Kashi | Forster-Caskey
    Holmes | Reeves | Fosu
    Clarke

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Konsa | Aribo | Lapslie | Dodoo | Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
    I notice I’m repeating myself a bit in this preview yet as stated, if we want to win then we must win this sort of game… There were too many lost points against teams towards the bottom of the league last season and its imperative that we learn to break these sides down, with so many potential changes to the Oldham squad in such short notice, this is the time to take advantage of that.
    From a quick review of their profiles on wiki and bear in mind their loose defininition of 'Senior' appearances including as a sub but excluding cup games, I make the aggregate totals;

135 for Charlton and 233 including those for other teams. Those figures increase by at least one after Lapslie's debut during the week.

I have not calculated their average age however which would be another indicator of the lack of experience which is where I think you are coming from.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Amos
    Kashi | Forster-Caskey
    Holmes | Reeves | Fosu
    Clarke

Prediction
    In total, including league, cup etc, I would say about 70. That's mainly down to how much Konsa played for us last season. Without him, about 40 starts between the other 6, two of course have never started for us.
  • Options
    Reeves won't be in the starting line up.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Reeves won't be in the starting line up.

Any idea who will start up front?
  • Options
    Smash them and up the table we go.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!