Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oldham v Charlton | Sat 02 Sep | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Or as a result of both teams being woeful a dogged 0-0 , 0 shots on target by either team. Those that go fall asleep :)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Right now, I hear the Oldham squad are studying the match video of our defeat at Plymouth Argyle.

They'll be busy working on their set pieces - and planning to play with 6 defenders holding their 18 yard line, once they've nicked that 1st goal from a corner.

That is what I would do if I were them, plus put a player with pace on Jacko if he starts, for an outlet. I would also concentrate on frustrating Holmes. This game could be lost, but ought not to be.
    If we get a red card early on then it will be extremely tough obviously.
    Absolute focus and professionalism is the watchword tomorrow, and it is a genuine test of Robinson and the coaching staff.
  • Options
    Really tough game without Desilva and Magennis , but confidence is high and our midfield is capable of bossing a game . 2-1 away win , Holmes and Bauer .
  • Options
    I reckon everyone on here is way too confident. Just like before Plymouth. Oldham to get their first points of the season, hopefully only a draw, but you never know. Reckon we'll have a lot of good play and dominate possession but won't score.

Of course, if I'm wrong, then I will start believing that the Scouse messiah isn't just a very naughty boy.
  • Options
    It'll be 0-1 by the time I arrive, and 1-2 by the end of the match. Crucial three points, with big Nabby popping up with the winning header.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Think Dijksteel will at least make the bench, especially with Crofts leaving. Could see him starting and Solly moving to left back. He has height and is decent in the air and is quite a bit quicker than the skipper. Less experienced obviously, but perhaps less of a liability as well.

Djiksteel was exceptional at Right-back against Norwich in pre season. I know its hard to judge in a p-s game but he did well against Josh Murphy who is a top class championship player
  • Options
    tgarrat1 said:

SDAddick said:

Think Dijksteel will at least make the bench, especially with Crofts leaving. Could see him starting and Solly moving to left back. He has height and is decent in the air and is quite a bit quicker than the skipper. Less experienced obviously, but perhaps less of a liability as well.

Djiksteel was exceptional at Right-back against Norwich in pre season. I know its hard to judge in a p-s game but he did well against Josh Murphy who is a top class championship player
    He was apparently less good against Murphy in the Carabao Cup, although Murphy increasingly looks a good Championship player (not to be confused with brother Jacob who is the better player and went to Newcastle in the summer).

I think the bigger question there would be how Solly adjusts to left back. I think Dijksteel can come in and do a job alright, but I don't know how Solly will do being shifted across. Yes I know he's played there before but that was years ago and by many accounts he was a bit hit and miss.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Right now, I hear the Oldham squad are studying the match video of our defeat at Plymouth Argyle.

They'll be busy working on their set pieces - and planning to play with 6 defenders holding their 18 yard line, once they've nicked that 1st goal from a corner.

This is what worries me. That they will grab a lead and park the bus our ability to get past the bus in these type of games is what will define our season. In some ways for me this is a big test. The home games we are expected to win, Rotherham are always go to try and win hence allow us to play our game. Its the park the bus games that could cost us dear. That being said I think we will grab an early goal and win this won.
  • Options
    Amos
    Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Solly
    Kashi | Forster-Caskey
    Holmes | Clarke | Fosu
    Dodoo

6 - 0 Charlton with goals from Holmes (2) Clarke, Fuso and Dodoo (2)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a much overused cliche but the first goal tomorrow is going to be so crucial. If we go in front. Oldham will have to come at us which we will exploit and end up two or three goals to the good. Concede first and I can't see us getting back into the game without our target man. All the possession in the world is no good when you are chasing it and the opposition have numbers behind the ball.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

It's a much overused cliche but the first goal tomorrow is going to be so crucial. If we go in front. Oldham will have to come at us which we will exploit and end up two or three goals to the good. Concede first and I can't see us getting back into the game without our target man. All the possession in the world is no good when you are chasing it and the opposition have numbers behind the ball.

I think thats why we ended up murdering Northampton.

i.e. We got at the from the first minute, didnt piss around, didnt let them settle and bang... 1-0!!

Need that exact same attitude tomorrow
    What worries me though is we outplayed Plymouth first half, never took our chances and got mugged! And that day we had our target man!
  • Options

RedChaser said:

i.e. We got at the from the first minute, didnt piss around, didnt let them settle and bang... 1-0!!

Same last weekend. Looked a but shaky at the very start, got our goal, settled our nerves, and looked in control much of the game.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

What worries me though is we outplayed Plymouth first half, never took our chances and got mugged! And that day we had our target man!
    Apart from our first goal against Northampton though the other three were beautiful team goals on the ground which I dont think Magennis got involved in... Also have Bauer who should be confident on corners with two from them already.
  • Options
    I'm probably worrying unnecessarily JD will either start or come on as a super sub and grab a brace. :wink: COYRs
  • Options
    This is the team I think Robinson will pick.

Amos
    Solly, Baeur, Pearce, Jackson
    Kashi, Forster-Caskey
    Fosu, Clarke, Holmes
    Dodoo

Subs Phillips, Konsa, Sarr, Aribo, Hackett - Fairchild, Reeves, Ahearne- Grant
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

Same last weekend. Looked a but shaky at the very start, got our goal, settled our nerves, and looked in control much of the game.
    My worry compared to last weekend is the goal took 15mins to come... I know thats quite quick in a match yet it probably helped that Rotherham were attacking us quite a bit which left them open to the counter which gave us the corner to score from.

In those opening 15mins tomorrow I dont see Oldham attacking us that much and as every minute passes they'll gain more and more confidence at the back with us slowly getting more a more frustrated... the issue is they've not got a single point and remember some words that Curbishley once said, if your on a losing run, stick 10-Defenders on the pitch so that you get that draw and stop the rot... Hell thats why we ended up playing 4-5-1 in the Premier League days under him

See Oldham doing the exact same thing... think they'd be stupid not to
  • Options
    My sixth visit to Boundary Park ( I refuse to call it anything else) W2 D1 L2.
    Going for a 2-2 draw for a bit of uniformity with Dodoo keeping up his good record on scoring goals on his debut for previous clubs.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    The defence albeit having ridden their luck were outstanding last week which gave us the platform to go on and win the game, Jacko comes in for Da Silva however so if Oldham want to sit back that'll be fine by me.

In terms of ariel ability defending set pieces we lose Josh and gain JJ so not too bad. Wouldn't be surprised to see Konsa and Nabby enter the fray though on the hour mark if we have our noses in front to counter any bombardment in final third of the match. They'll have a few debutants who'll be up for it, especially the Preston and the ex-Pompey striker signed on loan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

This is the team I think Robinson will pick.

Amos
    Solly, Baeur, Pearce, Jackson
    Kashi, Forster-Caskey
    Fosu, Clarke, Holmes
    Dodoo

Subs Phillips, Konsa, Sarr, Aribo, Hackett - Fairchild, Reeves, Ahearne- Grant

I agree with this team, with KR saying Reeves not training because of stiffness and the fact that Dodoo wants to play number 9 and with a record of always scoring on his debut, dick must be right
  • Options
    Dodoo is likely to go straight in I reckon.
  • Options
    Dodoo not even on the bench for the mighty Gers this season can't see him starting, also didn't Jacko come on during the week for Barnes, probably will saturday in mind, I'll go:

Amos
    Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Jackson
    Kashi, JFC
    Fosu, Reeves, Holmes
    Clarke

As someone said earlier, Oldham are gonna get Barcelona'd. 0-1, Reeves.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Amos
    Barnes Bauer Pearce Solly
    Forster-Caskey Kashi
    Fosu Clarke Holmes
    Hackett-Fairchild

Phillips Konsa Bauer Dijksteel Reeves Ahearne-Grant Dodoo

1-1

How can Bauer start and also be on the bench ?

• Options
    ashley said:

sam3110 said:

Amos
    Forster-Caskey Kashi
    Fosu Clarke Holmes
    Hackett-Fairchild

1-1

Shows how versatile he is :)
  • Options
    Amos
    Solly Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Forster-Caskey Kashi
    Fosu Clarke Holmes
    Hackett-Fairchild
    1-2
    Hackett-Fairchild And Dodoo from the bench

• Options
    2-0 to the home side. Strikers win games - they have one & we don't
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Amos
    Solly Bauer Pearce Jackson
    Kashi Forster-Caskey
    Fosu Clarke Holmes
    Dodoo

Phillips, Sarr, Konsa, Dijksteel, Aribo, Reeves, Ahearne-Grant

I personally hope that Dijksteel starts instead of Jackson and Solly moves to the left but I really don't think that'll happen.

The bench is so young and inexperienced, it shows how much we need Dasilva, Marshall and Magennis back. A few injuries and we really are playing the academy.

Oldham 0-2 Charlton
  • Options

ashley said:

sam3110 said:

Amos
    Forster-Caskey Kashi
    Fosu Clarke Holmes
    Hackett-Fairchild

1-1

Shows how versatile he is :)
    Maybe he misunderstood what KR wanted, Bauer heard it as one player who can play two positions.
    Wait until Josh gets back and he's center forward and on the bench as reserve goalkeeper
    2-0 to the mighty reds
  • Options
    I think Oldham will be very negative and look to sneak a goal then completely shut up shop if they do. If we get the early goal and they have to come looking for an equaliser, we could run riot.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!