Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crawley Town v Charlton (Checkatrade) post-match views 2017

Comments

• Options

What was the overall attendance? 650 is very good for a tournament most are boycotting.

Boycotting?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37226544
    Ta.
  • Options
    This was the game I expected KAG to show what he can do. Once again, he has instead shown he's got bags of pace and not much else going on.

Real shame, but unless he ups his end product be it assisting or shooting, I can't see a place for him here.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Just seen the goals on SSN. Lovely turn on receiving balll to get a crisp shot off intside the post by Reeves and great determined burst from the centre circle and finish albeit bobbly by Lapslie
  • Options

What was the overall attendance? 650 is very good for a tournament most are boycotting.

I think they announced 1666. Great effort from everyone who went, new ground or not. Btw that was my #77th ;-)

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Sarr was great on the ball, looked assured and actually looked like he enjoyed himself.

Reeves can be a class act, makes things look easy and a nice finish.

Pleased for Lapslie, looks a very good player in the making.

KAG was poor, pace with nothing else. We need to get Reeves and Marshall fit and a new striker through the door as I don't want to see him much this season. Still not completely writing him off, but he needs to play U23 football as he can't be relied upon for a top League 1 club.

Crawley weren't a good side but we did what we needed to. Future looks promising enough, although I don't think KAG, Barnes and RCC will make it above League 1 football based on what I saw last night (not judging long-term as haven't seen enough of them admittedly).

RHF was all left-foot, he's not ready for first team football, especially up top on his own. Looked lost at times and not sure we will get many games this season against worse opposition than last night. U23's from him, get on the blower KR, get a striker in (get rid of either Sarr/Lennon if you have to) and tell them we're going up.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

I should think half the 650 only went because it was a new ground

not sure if this is a whoosh moment but I went there about 4 years ago for a PSF.
  • Options
    SMW28 said:

Sarr dealt with her everything thrown at him. He also looked to play KAG and Charles-Cook in down the wings which came off more times than not. The back four all looked very assured playing it round the back. Phillips made a fantastic save to stop Barnes putting in his own net. I thought Barnes struggled and probably isn't ready for the first team. Reeves looked like a real player, he will be an asset this season. Crofts actually looked good. KAG does not the hard work but then cant hit a barn door. Seen Hackett- Fairchild twice now and his reluctance to use his right foot seems to be limiting him somewhat, a couple of times he could have shot but was closed down when trying to get it on his left foot. Very raw and not ready yet but will come good I think. Lapslie looked hard working and deserved his goal. All in all an enjoyable evening and was actuakly surprised how man he Addicks were there.

Better be sooner than later as we will be relying on them to shoot us up the league in October when Josh is out injured and Novak is suspended or refusing to play as he didn't get the move he wanted
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Solid performance. Crawley didn't really bother Phillips. think we took the mick for the last 15 mins! good win. George Lapslie is an exciting prospect
  • Options
    Really pleased for the youngsters, who can look forward to 2 more competitive games in this competition at least which will be good for their development. Particularly pleased for George who has impressed me when I've seen him play for the youngsters.
    However let's not get too carried away as Crawley made 7 changes so it wasn't far off a Crawley second string as well.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    chuffed for the lad, clearly means the world to him and is a dream come true.

Proper Roy of the Rovers stuff
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Even sweeter knowing he's a Charlton fan!!
  • Options

No No No to Solly at LB on Saturday, play a left footed player there.

KR has already said that JJ will play LB and Novak up front on Saturday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Back in my ground-hopping days in the early 1990s, I ticked the previous Crawley ground, just off the High Street. Southern League, against Solihull Borough, for whom Keith Bertschin - formerly a big name with Birmingham City - was playing.

Those who are convinced that John Akinde at Barnet would be good for us might care to ponder that he spent two seasons at Crawley: played 40 games in league and cup - and scored only once.
  • Options
    Always nice to pick up a win whatever the competition.
  • Options

LouisMend said:
    chuffed for the lad, clearly means the world to him and is a dream come true.

Proper Roy of the Rovers stuff
    Please don't jump on what I have to say.

But, from what I have seen of George, and the way he plays, he looks the natural successor to Kashi in years to come.

Tenacious, strong in the challenge, an engine that doesn't stop, and excellent in distribution...
    Only seen him a few times but I thought he was more box to box than a holding midfielder like Kashi?
  • Options
    Went along thinking only 50-60 diehards would be at the game . Great to see so many making the effort . Like many have said , George Lapslie looks a real talent . Only negatives for me were Barnes and KAG .
  • Options
    Who was it that nearly scored the cracking own-goal near the beginning of the game?
  • Options

Went along thinking only 50-60 diehards would be at the game . Great to see so many making the effort . Like many have said , George Lapslie looks a real talent . Only negatives for me were Barnes and KAG .

Not every young player that hits the first team will make it. I think KAG will leave in the summer and drop down to the lower end of League 2 im afraid.
  • Options
    Just watching the highlights.. that KAG effort from distance must've ended up in the neighbouring postcode!
  • Options

clb74 said:

not sure if this is a whoosh moment but I went there about 4 years ago for a PSF.
    Was there many at the psf though.
    There were a lot of people there last night that I thought would of done the psf but hadn't.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

There were a lot of people there last night that I thought would of done the psf but hadn't.
    no idea of the size of the away contingent that night, merely pointing out that it was not a "new" ground as a CAFC team had played there before. We are playing Oldham on sat - are 10k addicks going to turn up just because they haven't seen us play there before...of course not.
  • Options

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

no idea of the size of the away contingent that night, merely pointing out that it was not a "new" ground as a CAFC team had played there before. We are playing Oldham on sat - are 10k addicks going to turn up just because they haven't seen us play there before...of course not.
    Went there last February, quite enough for a lifetime a calendar year!