Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crawley Town v Charlton (Checkatrade) post-match views 2017

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2017
    What's with all the bold text ?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

How did Henry's love child play?

I believe he provided an assist for the 2nd goal - but just wondering how he coped being lone striker and his link up play?

First sign of madness quoting myself but .....

From the News Hopper: "Reeco Hackett-Fairchild - 6 - Never really had any opportunities in front of goal. His hold-up play was impressive, though, for such a young striker."

Sounds promising. Can anyone actually at the match elaborate?

I was there! I thought he was good , he's holdup play was excellent against two big centre backso, he bought people into play around him and unlucky not to score as defender got a foot to the ball just as he was gonna put it now the net!
  • Options
    650 travelling addicks!! That's impressive for this shitty little competition
  • Options

I don't know what sort of team Crawley put out, but they were really poor bar a ten minute spell after the break. A number of points to take from the match I feel.

It's clear that Robinson wants his team to play out from the back, which I agree with, but I think at times we overdid it. Phillips was getting frustrated with his defenders repeatedly giving it back to him at certain times in the first half. Sometimes you just need to put your laces through it.

Sarr is an absolute giant and has all the physical attributes a defender needs. He can also pass a ball and I think he could develop into a very good player, but still wouldn't have him above Pearce, Bauer or Konsa right now, which is good depth to have. He also has that tendency to make a silly mistake, he inadvertently flicked on a long ball today to one of their players, which he needs to iron out from his game.

Barnes had a poor night, but he was out of position and it showed. A dilemma on Saturday, as when Jackson came on he got skinned twice and I don't think he could do 90 mins anyway.

Reeves is a quality player, him and Konsa were clearly the best players on the pitch. He has excellent little touches and he took his goal really well. Outmuscled repeatedly, but hopefully when playing with Holmes/Magennis/Fosu he'll be afforded more space and time to do his thing.

Hacket-Fairchild is clearly a talented young player but I don't think he's yet ready to play a part in the first team on tonight's showing. He isn't physical enough to play the lone striker role and doesn't have the tactical nous yet either. Would be unfair on him, and really highlights our need for a third senior striker.

Lapslie was brilliant when he came on. I think he's a Charlton fan and it showed, he was very willing on and off the ball. He was clearly delighted to score his goal, which was great persistence on his part, and played some great balls as well.

Overall a good performance, but we would have scored more had decision making in the final third been better at times.

If it was me picking the team, I'd put Solly at left back (he's done okay there before) and put Iron Willy at right back.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Just in. A very enjoyable outing, spoilt by the fact you could not get a beer in the ground. A steward said it was because there was trouble once. Strange.

Sarr was our man of the match. Reeves looks accomplished and a lovely shot low into the corner. Class finish.

Hackett did not win a header, but plays well when it's on the floor. Great little pass for the assist. Lapsie looks so young, but good to see him score and be so happy.

Crawley had a couple of good chances and had pace in the team. Unfortunately I have no idea how the injuries effected them. Nice friendly club. Shame about their beer policy.
  • Options
    You can see the pitch from where they sold drinks can't you? Not allowed to sell it in view if the pitch during the match are they? Pretty sure one if the stands I sat in at Watford was the same
  • Options

Used to indicate if you were at the match.
  • Options

It's clearly the result of a lack of discipline in the home. Several messages are, no doubt in line for a very stern talking to.

I blame the parents.....

Or, alternatively, it could be the Mods trying to identify comments from those at the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't know what sort of team Crawley put out, but they were really poor bar a ten minute spell after the break. A number of points to take from the match I feel.

It's clear that Robinson wants his team to play out from the back, which I agree with, but I think at times we overdid it. Phillips was getting frustrated with his defenders repeatedly giving it back to him at certain times in the first half. Sometimes you just need to put your laces through it.

Sarr is an absolute giant and has all the physical attributes a defender needs. He can also pass a ball and I think he could develop into a very good player, but still wouldn't have him above Pearce, Bauer or Konsa right now, which is good depth to have. He also has that tendency to make a silly mistake, he inadvertently flicked on a long ball today to one of their players, which he needs to iron out from his game.

Barnes had a poor night, but he was out of position and it showed. A dilemma on Saturday, as when Jackson came on he got skinned twice and I don't think he could do 90 mins anyway.

Reeves is a quality player, him and Konsa were clearly the best players on the pitch. He has excellent little touches and he took his goal really well. Outmuscled repeatedly, but hopefully when playing with Holmes/Magennis/Fosu he'll be afforded more space and time to do his thing.

Hacket-Fairchild is clearly a talented young player but I don't think he's yet ready to play a part in the first team on tonight's showing. He isn't physical enough to play the lone striker role and doesn't have the tactical nous yet either. Would be unfair on him, and really highlights our need for a third senior striker.

Lapslie was brilliant when he came on. I think he's a Charlton fan and it showed, he was very willing on and off the ball. He was clearly delighted to score his goal, which was great persistence on his part, and played some great balls as well.

Overall a good performance, but we would have scored more had decision making in the final third been better at times.

If it was me picking the team, I'd put Solly at left back (he's done okay there before) and put Iron Willy at right back.

Most definitley this.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Wemberlee Wemberlee

Don't count your chickens just yet. We have to get past the mighty Fulham U21's
  • Options
    650 Addicks there, quite a good turnout for this competition
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

If you build it, they will come...KR is building it, it seems...
  • Options

Taxi_Lad said:

If you build it, they will come...KR is building it, it seems...
    300 sold before yesterday so over double that turned up on the night.
  • Options
    I feel a bit for Barnes-he looked a very good right back when I've seen him for the kids but Djiksteel's progress means he's been shifted to the left and he seems to be suffering there. I still think the young Dutchman will have more to offer as a midfielder so hopefully they both have a future at the club.
  • Options
    No No No to Solly at LB on Saturday, play a left footed player there.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Agree with previous posts about Reeves and Sarr. Crawley may have lacked some quality but they harried and chased down well. It was a good test for the youngsters playing to team orders to pass out from the back, occasional errors were made when it would have been easier to lump upfield but persevered. Barnes tormented by the winger. Thought Phillips distribution has improved, looked very assured.
    Lapslie is a silky smooth passer, some perfectly weighted through balls and showed speed of foot and thought to score. No surprise if he breaks through to first team squad.
    Our depth in midfield and defence compared to strikers is glaring. Grant does not look like developing into a goal scorer and thought he didnt have his best game.
    Few mentions of Diksteel, he was impressive I thought.
  • Options
    What was the overall attendance? 650 is very good for a tournament most are boycotting.
  • Options
    I should think half the 650 only went because it was a new ground
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What was the overall attendance? 650 is very good for a tournament most are boycotting.

Boycotting?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Could Sarr take the place of Bauer or Pearce if they had a drop in form or got injured & do well? Just wonder what peoples opinions are?

• Options
    edited August 2017
    clb74 said:

I should think half the 650 only went because it was a new ground

I went against my better judgement because my son loves an away game and going by public transport, it is still the summer hols, fairly easy to get there, kids for a quid!

There was a long que for tickets but it went down very quickly as it was well staffed, and with happy smiling people. Stewards were the same. Refreshments well staffed as well as they could not have got more staff behind the counter if they had tried and que was minimal. I think the club should send someone down there to find out how they do this. They could learn a lot!
  • Options

Hasn't Sarr played at LB before? And didn't he play there in pre season?

Surely he is the answer for Saturday. He has more pace than Jacko and is decent on the ball.

voila !
  • Options

Surely he is the answer for Saturday. He has more pace than Jacko and is decent on the ball.

voila !
    Should really have tried him there in a cup game first...
  • Options

Boycotting?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37226544
  • Options
    edited August 2017

voila !
    Only thing they wouldnt try to exploit his height like they do with Dasilva thats for sure!!

Going by Wiki and what I see on the pitch (i.e. in terms of our tallest player)... Sarr is 6.5ft | Bauer and Amos are 6.3ft whilst Pearce is 6.1ft - Dont think there is anyone else in the squad (Aribo or Konsa maybe?) who come close to that?
  • Options

voila !
    Only thing they wouldnt try to exploit his height like they do with Dasilva thats for sure!!

Going by Wiki and what I see on the pitch (i.e. in terms of our tallest player)... Sarr is 6.5ft | Bauer and Amos are 6.3ft whilst Pearce is 6.1ft - Dont think there is anyone else in the squad (Aribo or Konsa maybe?) who come close to that?
    Yeah an extra head for set pieces is always useful. Surely Magennis and Novak are over 6ft? How tall is the skipper?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Oggy Red said:

How did Henry's love child play?

I believe he provided an assist for the 2nd goal - but just wondering how he coped being lone striker and his link up play?

Very disappointing for me. Extremely left footed, and once they worked that out and showed him onto his right, he was never going to score. He painted a lonely figure up front and the few long balls he faced he got nowhere near. Felt sorry for him.