Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Norwich vs Charlton - Carabao cup 2nd rd post match views

124»

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

Curbs done the same.
    We played Bolton away on 2 consecutive Saturday's if my memory is correct.
    The 1st game being in the cup.
    The 2nd being in the league.
    We lost the cup game but won the league game and went on to win the league.
    Curbs never tried to hide the fact that the league was his priority.
    Rightly so in my opinion.

Correct on the sequence.

I went to both and wish we won the cup game and lost the following week. We were going up anyway and it would have gave us a semi at Wembley.
    We put out a full side in both games
    And approached them both with a completely different mentality
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

Curbs done the same.

Correct on the sequence.

I went to both and wish we won the cup game and lost the following week. We were going up anyway and it would have gave us a semi at Wembley.
    And two completely different results.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

Curbs done the same.

Correct on the sequence.

We battered them in the second half but Gudjohnsen scored a cracker
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

Curbs done the same.

Correct on the sequence.

Whatever happened to him
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

Curbs done the same.

Correct on the sequence.

Robinson had one cleared off the line. Was there with a complimentary ticket from our left back that day
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Posting without reading other comments.

This was a local match for me as I live about 9 miles away.

I like going to Carrow Road - it's a proper ground with proper supporters (some of them are my mates).

I understand the reserves being played but I don't like it. I sat next to a bloke who told me he lived in Coventry - a six hours round trip. Most others will have had a similar journey time wise to watch our reserves play.

As for the game after a great start we began to struggle against Norwich's attack and struggled to play our way out although it wasn't for the want of trying. Half time 1-1 did not reflect Norwich's dominance. Their second goal did spark us into life with Big Mag putting them under pressure on a couple of occasions.

We had one move about half way through the second half which showed huge promise. We held the ball for several minutes - almost every player touched it and it ended with Big Mag heading wide. If we had scored it would have been a candidate for goal of the season.

In the end Norwich were just too strong on the night.
  • Options

This played out much as I expected, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it. I think we should take the two senior cup competitions more seriously than this or they shouldn't be played at all. The clubs want the money from them; at the moment they are just taking the piss. Oddly we ended up putting some of our more important players - Pearce, Magennis, Dasiliva - on after the game was lost, so the injury argument really doesn't wash. On the other hand, I wouldn't play Solly or Kashi, so it is a balance.

If you want to get lost supporters and new fans to go to The Valley and give the club another chance one way to do that is to host major opposition in cup ties, even if they in turn won't put their first team out. Of course you can't control the draw, but you'd probably get 20,000-plus for Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Manchester United/City and as a L1 club that is a big deal. The highlights of the D2 seasons in the early 1980s were the FA Cup games against Spurs and Watford and in the mid-70s we had 30,000-plus against QPR and West Ham in the LC. I know people who became Charlton fans because of those matches (all of which we lost!). In L1 you need to look for the glamour where you can find it. But I accept that the league don't help themselves.

I know I mention Jimmy Seed a lot, so sorry about that, but he reckoned that the seven months he spent in Tonypandy playing three matches a week for Mid Rhondda, on very heavy pitches, was the making of him.
    And this was right after being gassed twice in the First World War, so I do get the 'man up' argument to some extent.
    And the Cup runs of the 1940s also helped hugely in building the already very large fanbase. I've been looking at some old b&w footage, and the shots of the 77,000 crowd at The Valley takes your breath away.
  • Options
    Phillips allowing 4 kinda puts a dent in his argument of taking the starting spot this season.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    SDAddick said:

Essex_Al said:

Understandably outplayed and, at times, outclassed by a strong Norwich team. Hoolihan and Murphy ran the show with the latter giving Dijksteel a hard time all night long. For that reason, I found it difficult to measure Dijksteel's ability at this level. They pretty much dominated of course but we missed a couple of good chances before the game got beyond us.

Clarke had a good game and is going to play a pivotal part in this season. Magennis and Dasilva looked sharp also when they came on.

One thing that really stood out for me was Robinson's noticeable lack of enthusiasm on the sideline. He rarely occupied the 'tech area' and spent most of the time sitting down. Only reason I mention it is because it's unusual, that's all.

I was sat behind the dugout with some Norwich supporting mates and I agree he was unusually quite, Bowyer seemed to be doing the game management, maybe it was left to him for this game not sure why though.
    Also we parked in the club car park arriving at 6pm and at the same time as Robinson and Bowyer arrived in separate cars which seemed very odd. I asked them why they were not on the coach and they just fobbed it off saying they would get home quicker, strange I thought for the management not to be on the team coach.
    It was the same when we played Stevenage, KR and LB were not on the coach and arrived in separate cars. Perhaps KR still has a home somewhere near MK Dons and it gives him the opportunity to get to see the family rather than travelling all the way back to London, who knows!
    Or do scouting...

Agree it's a bit odd but it's like a two hour coach journey, I think the players will manage.
    Have you ever driven to Norwich. It's like further than blinkin' Newcastle. The road goes on and on and on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
  • Options

Phillips allowing 4 kinda puts a dent in his argument of taking the starting spot this season.

Goalkeepers aren't always at fault for goals going in
  • Options
    Having seen the goals Phillips wasn't at fault for any of them.
  • Options
    Woulda been Forest at Home had we won on Tuesday. Ehh still not disappointed
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Depending on whether Salako made the draw or not!
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

It's Chelsea who are home to Forest!

Norwich were drawn away to Brentford
  • Options

Rossman92 said:

It seems as though had we beaten Norwich we'd have been a different ball number (the Ball No. that Chelsea had) to the one that Norwich got and ultimately Chelsea would in turn have been given a different number themselves.
  • Options

Rossman92 said:

It seems as though had we beaten Norwich we'd have been a different ball number (the Ball No. that Chelsea had) to the one that Norwich got and ultimately Chelsea would in turn have been given a different number themselves.
    Ah yes(ish)

But then as nobody saw the draw, they could do what they like anyway!