Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Norwich vs Charlton - Carabao cup 2nd rd post match views

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

If asked in February few if any will remember the scoreline. We're out of the cup which is fine. Six academy graduates from the start and it sounded like they held their own for ~75min, and they're all one game more experienced. That's it, move on to Saturday.

Sort of, more like 3 though.
    ::Rolls eyes so hard they almost get stuck in the back of my head::
    we can't complain about West Ham nabbing Defoe and then do same though can we?
    We didn't poach any of them against the will of other clubs. My comment was more about finding a way to be a miseryguts about our developing young players.
    yeah fair enough, that's not how it was intended though. Apologies. Regardless of where the players have come from, it's nice to field a strong side that's so young. In terms of being 'miseryguts', the problem is that the better the youngster the shorter we get to see them and the quicker the cash hits RD's pockets!
  • Options
    I would be willing to lose every cup match 4-1 and win League One matches 4-1, every time. I seriously give zero f###s about cup matches. I want out of L1. Nothing else matters to me.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    We lost to palice two years ago in very similar circumstances and Luzon was hammered for fielding a weakened side, now we are a bit more relaxed about last night's same scoreline.

Norwich also made six changes from their game at the weekend.

Let's hope we get a good result Saturday.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

We lost to palice two years ago in very similar circumstances and Luzon was hammered for fielding a weakened side, now we are a bit more relaxed about last night's same scoreline.

Let's hope we get a good result Saturday.

Norwich are hardly a club most of us despise and now I think there is a general sense of we know we not a club with ambitions that are common with the supporters and club.
  • Options
    Nothing to get bothered about - this cup would only be a distraction and an opportunity for injuries in a squad that has some gaps.
  • Options
    another example of us just not taking any of the cups seriously. All will be forgotten and forgiven of course IF we gain promotion .. however, I can't see why the majority our first choice players are incapable of playing twice a week .. and yes I know all about 'fear of injury' etc. etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Understandably outplayed and, at times, outclassed by a strong Norwich team. Hoolihan and Murphy ran the show with the latter giving Dijksteel a hard time all night long. For that reason, I found it difficult to measure Dijksteel's ability at this level. They pretty much dominated of course but we missed a couple of good chances before the game got beyond us.

Clarke had a good game and is going to play a pivotal part in this season. Magennis and Dasilva looked sharp also when they came on.

One thing that really stood out for me was Robinson's noticeable lack of enthusiasm on the sideline. He rarely occupied the 'tech area' and spent most of the time sitting down. Only reason I mention it is because it's unusual, that's all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I find it a shame that Barnes, once again did not feature ahead of Jackson. In an ideal world, now we are out we would find loan clubs for half of these players, including Phillips, RCC, Barnes, Aribo, KAG, Lapsie. Of course, our squad is not strong enough for that to happen but it would do all of those guys the world of good to play week in, week out somewhere for the season rather than the odd squad appearance with us.

What would have been ideal is if the Loan Window wasn't abolished so we could send these kids out a for a couple of months at a time... Unfortunately because the big teams have been stockpiling players this was gotten rid of!!

Instead should allow the Loan Window to happen but each club is only allowed to send a maximum number of players out (i.e. no more than 3 or 4 maybe), they have to be under the age of 20 and need to have been through the club Academy rather than a player being signed by Chelsea etc. and then instantly being loaned straight back out when that second window opens
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Let's face it, if we had played a full strength team against Norwich, we'd have probably lost anyway...

Probably not. I have no complaints about last night and agree with the team selection but I think our first 11 would have beaten that Norwich side. Spoke to both Robinson and Bowyer before the game as I bumped into them in the car park and Robinson had just got the team news and was surprised buy how many first team players Norwich played in the starting 11.
    The team outplayed Norwich for the first 20 minutes then to be fair Norwich were the more threatening team with Josh Murphy the best player on the park. Magennis missed a great chance to equalise when it was 2-1 and Norwich got their 3rd only seconds later and won the tie.
    I think any of the 14 players used last night would slot into the starting 11 just not all at the same time
    Just watched the highlights and yes it was a great chance, but compared to Saturday's goal this a harder chance - more of a jump while on the move, and a looping header that just dropped wide. Last Saturday's was much harder to miss as the cross was lower.
    Fosu's was the better chance. He could have shot, but he would have had to beat the keeper and the defender on the line, whereas a gentle lay-off to KAG would have left a virtually open goal. He over hit it - a rush of blood - that's just inexperience.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Understandably outplayed and, at times, outclassed by a strong Norwich team. Hoolihan and Murphy ran the show with the latter giving Dijksteel a hard time all night long. For that reason, I found it difficult to measure Dijksteel's ability at this level. They pretty much dominated of course but we missed a couple of good chances before the game got beyond us.

Clarke had a good game and is going to play a pivotal part in this season. Magennis and Dasilva looked sharp also when they came on.

One thing that really stood out for me was Robinson's noticeable lack of enthusiasm on the sideline. He rarely occupied the 'tech area' and spent most of the time sitting down. Only reason I mention it is because it's unusual, that's all.

I was sat behind the dugout with some Norwich supporting mates and I agree he was unusually quite, Bowyer seemed to be doing the game management, maybe it was left to him for this game not sure why though.
    Also we parked in the club car park arriving at 6pm and at the same time as Robinson and Bowyer arrived in separate cars which seemed very odd. I asked them why they were not on the coach and they just fobbed it off saying they would get home quicker, strange I thought for the management not to be on the team coach.
  • Options

another example of us just not taking any of the cups seriously. All will be forgotten and forgiven of course IF we gain promotion .. however, I can't see why the majority our first choice players are incapable of playing twice a week .. and yes I know all about 'fear of injury' etc. etc.

answer to the solution, get a bigger sqaud instead of one that has all the depth of a walkers crisp
  • Options

Let's face it, if we had played a full strength team against Norwich, we'd have probably lost anyway...

Probably not. I have no complaints about last night and agree with the team selection but I think our first 11 would have beaten that Norwich side. Spoke to both Robinson and Bowyer before the game as I bumped into them in the car park and Robinson had just got the team news and was surprised by how many first team players Norwich played in the starting 11.
    The team outplayed Norwich for the first 20 minutes then to be fair Norwich were the more threatening team with Josh Murphy the best player on the park. Magennis missed a great chance to equalise when it was 2-1 and Norwich got their 3rd only seconds later and won the tie.
    I think any of the 14 players used last night would slot into the starting 11 just not all at the same time
    magennis and in general strikers not finishing chances THAT could be the difference between 2nd and playoffs this season - badly need a clinical striker we have 8 days left to get one? i certainly don't see the 4 quality players coming in that we need. so for me i cant see autos, playoffs my prediction is us finishing 4th.

and last nights line up and we have claimed it was kids/young players and a tremendous learning curve;

13Phillips
    24Charles-Cook
    4Jackson
    34Dijksteel
    23Sarr
    15Ngoyo
    14Fosu-Henry
    17Aribo
    21Novak
    10Clarke
    18Ahearne-Grant

i would expect the majority of that team to be starting some matches this season. league 1 is a tough league and injuries happen, we have a great starting 11 but the rest is nothing to write home about we need more players we can all see it, but roland doesnt and wont spend.

• Options
    Dijksteel is a CM by trade so maybe its time to get a RB in as cover (Loan signing maybe?) He can clearly do a job at RB but not as full time cover and his development will best served going on loan somewhere else. Glad to hear they gave it there all but lets be honest...League is genuinely more important and maybe a cheeky Wembley visit for the Checkatrade final? :smile:
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    LouisMend said:
    wipe the silly gurn off yer mush .. WE LOST the game (presumably taken after the defeat)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PWR, not as disappointed as I should be and more relieved after last Saturday's performance that there are no stand out headlines about any of our players ahead of the transfer window deadline. The cup to concentrate upon is the one where we've a realistic chance of getting to Wembley if we really want to.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Probably not. I have no complaints about last night and agree with the team selection but I think our first 11 would have beaten that Norwich side. Spoke to both Robinson and Bowyer before the game as I bumped into them in the car park and Robinson had just got the team news and was surprised by how many first team players Norwich played in the starting 11.
    magennis and in general strikers not finishing chances THAT could be the difference between 2nd and playoffs this season - badly need a clinical striker we have 8 days left to get one? i certainly don't see the 4 quality players coming in that we need. so for me i cant see autos, playoffs my prediction is us finishing 4th.

and last nights line up and we have claimed it was kids/young players and a tremendous learning curve;

13Phillips
    24Charles-Cook
    4Jackson
    34Dijksteel
    23Sarr
    15Ngoyo
    14Fosu-Henry
    17Aribo
    21Novak
    10Clarke
    18Ahearne-Grant

i would expect the majority of that team to be starting some matches this season. league 1 is a tough league and injuries happen, we have a great starting 11 but the rest is nothing to write home about we need more players we can all see it, but roland doesnt and wont spend.

As many as 4 signings?

We obviously need a striker and ideally a winger as well, I'll be concerned if we need KAG to replace Holmes.

I'm not sure we should be so concerned about Phillips or Aribo. Novak should be replaced if he goes.

With Dijksteel it's easier to give a full back a run of games than say a centre back or striker. Left back we have Page to come back.

The young players are all 20+ or close to it. While we need a couple more signings if they can't offer anything in this league by now they probably don't have a future at the club.

Roland in no way has ever got the balance right, but no team in this division has 20 quality players.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    what i do find funny in these situations is, when clubs like man utd, chelsea, spurs play weak sides they get called disrespectful for not respecting the cups etc, but when lower league sides do it its acceptable, and a loss like ours last night is acceptable, i think losing by 3 goals isnt something that should be acceptable if it was a prem club maybe but no disrespect its only norwich, its also a very dangerous game to play as if we dont get nothing out of our next 3 games then you cant even blame the cup.

the only competition to completely do your best to go out of is that lump of shit check a trade trophy.
  • Options

LouisMend said:
    wipe the silly gurn off yer mush .. WE LOST the game (presumably taken after the defeat)
    Says on the webpage that it was taken before the match - still no excuse for happiness.
  • Options
    Why is everyone typing in bold letters?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

The scoreline wasn't particularly flattering in the end for us and the stats make it look like we weren't in the game but a lot of City's attempts at goal seemed to be from outside the box as we were generally defending quite well. Dillon had a good game in goal despite conceding four.

The difference between Saturday and yesterday was noticeable: against Northampton we were quick with lots of one-touch passing moves, against City it was slow and stodgy. That was probably down to the quality of the oppo as much as the change in quality of our side.

On a general note about the League Cup there's been a lot of chat about clubs devaluing the competition with the amount of changes to their side. Perhaps if there was still a proper reserves competition players would have matches to play without having to resort to U23 games or the cup. surely there's enough money swilling around in the FA/Football League to fund this?
  • Options

Why is everyone typing in bold letters?

Indicates that they were at the match
  • Options

At the game. I'm a little disappointed as I was expecting a little bit more with the players out there tonight. Largely reflected how we were in the friendly against them. Overall, they had better players on the park.
    Jacko is obviously limited in what he can bring to the table. Billy Clarke was for me our stand out performer. Fosu couldn't really produce his previous standards. Konsa held his own but unfortunately contributed to their second goal. The big disappointment for me was Ahearne Grant who struggled against championship quality.
    Anyway, upwards and onwards to the New York Stadium.

Aren't you the 32-Year Man now?
    I should be The29YearMan as I've completed two years of my sentence.