Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Norwich vs Charlton - Carabao cup 2nd rd post match views

Comments

• Options

This played out much as I expected, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it. I think we should take the two senior cup competitions more seriously than this or they shouldn't be played at all. The clubs want the money from them; at the moment they are just taking the piss. Oddly we ended up putting some of our more important players - Pearce, Magennis, Dasiliva - on after the game was lost, so the injury argument really doesn't wash. On the other hand, I wouldn't play Solly or Kashi, so it is a balance.

If you want to get lost supporters and new fans to go to The Valley and give the club another chance one way to do that is to host major opposition in cup ties, even if they in turn won't put their first team out. Of course you can't control the draw, but you'd probably get 20,000-plus for Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Manchester United/City and as a L1 club that is a big deal. The highlights of the D2 seasons in the early 1980s were the FA Cup games against Spurs and Watford and in the mid-70s we had 30,000-plus against QPR and West Ham. I know people who became Charlton fans because of those matches (all of which we lost!). In L1 you need to look for the glamour where you can find it. But I accept that the league don't help themselves.

In a nutshell
  • Options
    Main focus is on getting out of division 3 "We should not be here!"
  • Options
    edited August 2017

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

If asked in February few if any will remember the scoreline. We're out of the cup which is fine. Six academy graduates from the start and it sounded like they held their own for ~75min, and they're all one game more experienced. That's it, move on to Saturday.

Sort of, more like 3 though.
    ::Rolls eyes so hard they almost get stuck in the back of my head::
    we can't complain about West Ham nabbing Defoe and then do same though can we?
    We didn't poach any of them against the will of other clubs. My comment was more about finding a way to be a miseryguts about our developing young players.
    yeah fair enough, that's not how it was intended though. Apologies. Regardless of where the players have come from, it's nice to field a strong side that's so young. In terms of being 'miseryguts', the problem is that the better the youngster the shorter we get to see them and the quicker the cash hits RD's pockets!
    Fair enough mate, I get that. I just carry the hope that Roland will be gone before they are. Except Reeco. Rumor has it Barca and PSG are circling.

And as for them being from "our academy" your point is taken. For me it's more that they've come in as young players and been nurtured by us particularly Jason Euell and his set up. As such I consider them "one of ours" even if they didn't start with us. I get that there are other ways to look at it.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

If asked in February few if any will remember the scoreline. We're out of the cup which is fine. Six academy graduates from the start and it sounded like they held their own for ~75min, and they're all one game more experienced. That's it, move on to Saturday.

Sort of, more like 3 though.
    ::Rolls eyes so hard they almost get stuck in the back of my head::
    we can't complain about West Ham nabbing Defoe and then do same though can we?
    We didn't poach any of them against the will of other clubs. My comment was more about finding a way to be a miseryguts about our developing young players.
    yeah fair enough, that's not how it was intended though. Apologies. Regardless of where the players have come from, it's nice to field a strong side that's so young. In terms of being 'miseryguts', the problem is that the better the youngster the shorter we get to see them and the quicker the cash hits RD's pockets!
    Fair enough mate, I get that. I just carry the hope that Roland will be gone before they are. Except Reeco. Rumor has it Barca and PSG are circling.

And as for them being from "our academy" your point is taken. For me it's more that they've come in as young players and been nurtured by us particularly Jason Euell and his set up. As such I consider them "one of ours" even if they didn't start with us. I get that there are other ways to look at it.
    Well Charles-Cook, Aribo and Dijksteel all joined us older than when Defoe left. So I don't want to be hypocritical about it. I completely get the point that the circumstances around the arrivals were completely different to Defoe's departure.
  • Options
    Cheers for the explanation, i thought there was something wrong with my computer!
  • Options

LouisMend said:
    wipe the silly gurn off yer mush .. WE LOST the game (presumably taken after the defeat)
    No, that's taken in daylight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am with Robinson on this. There are too many games. The Checkatrade trophy and to a lesser extent the Caraboa Cup are meaningless. What if Robinson played his best team last night and Kashi, Holmes and say Forster- Caskey got injured?
    Robinson has told everybody early doors that only Fosu and Clarke would be starting, so it is not unfair on the Supporters, who chose to go knowing a reserve side would be played.

If we get promotion, playing a weakened side in the League Cup will be forgotten.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I am with Robinson on this. There are too many games. The Checkatrade trophy and to a lesser extent the Caraboa Cup are meaningless. What if Robinson played his best team last night and Kashi, Holmes and say Forster- Caskey got injured?
    Robinson has told everybody early doors that only Fosu and Clarke would be starting, so it is not unfair on the Supporters, who chose to go knowing a reserve side would be played.

If we get promotion, playing a weakened side in the League Cup will be forgotten.

Agreed, the Checkatrade gives the chance for a lower league team to win some silverware although I still don't care about it.

I think its time the league cup was scrapped, nobody cares about it
  • Options
    Nearly every club last night rested a large number of players, it seems that the League Cup is dying a slow death

It's only the "big 6" type clubs who tend to put out decent teams, or who at least have well known reserves/youngsters.
  • Options
    shame really as were a league 1 side and aside from the glamour ties of Rotherham and shrewsbury wouldn't be bad to see some bigger clubs.

we really should have the depth to put a squad out that's not going to get rolled by a reserve Norwich side.
  • Options
    Doesn't the club care about cups anymore and making some decent money from them if we get drawn against a big side. We have good history in cup competitions! Now it seems all they want to do is blood youngsters. Come on let us see some big sides.
  • Options

Doesn't the club care about cups anymore and making some decent money from them if we get drawn against a big side. We have good history in cup competitions! Now it seems all they want to do is blood youngsters. Come on let us see some big sides.

Not quite sure about this?
  • Options

Understandably outplayed and, at times, outclassed by a strong Norwich team. Hoolihan and Murphy ran the show with the latter giving Dijksteel a hard time all night long. For that reason, I found it difficult to measure Dijksteel's ability at this level. They pretty much dominated of course but we missed a couple of good chances before the game got beyond us.

Clarke had a good game and is going to play a pivotal part in this season. Magennis and Dasilva looked sharp also when they came on.

One thing that really stood out for me was Robinson's noticeable lack of enthusiasm on the sideline. He rarely occupied the 'tech area' and spent most of the time sitting down. Only reason I mention it is because it's unusual, that's all.

I was sat behind the dugout with some Norwich supporting mates and I agree he was unusually quite, Bowyer seemed to be doing the game management, maybe it was left to him for this game not sure why though.
    Also we parked in the club car park arriving at 6pm and at the same time as Robinson and Bowyer arrived in separate cars which seemed very odd. I asked them why they were not on the coach and they just fobbed it off saying they would get home quicker, strange I thought for the management not to be on the team coach.
    It was the same when we played Stevenage, KR and LB were not on the coach and arrived in separate cars. Perhaps KR still has a home somewhere near MK Dons and it gives him the opportunity to get to see the family rather than travelling all the way back to London, who knows!
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I disagree in a way in the Carabao Cup in that I think it's a good chance for youngsters to get first team experience. That said, we're lucky in that we have a good academy and this year we have a number of players in their late teens/early 20s who are poised to be more involved in the first team.

That said, that is probably not the intention of the competition and the fact that I think it's good to blood youngsters probably shows it doesn't serve a huge purpose.

I hope Robinson bucks the rules and makes 8+ changes in the Checkatrade trophy. Would be good for the likes of Lapslie, Reeco, Barnes, plus RCC, Dijksteel, KAG to get starts and potentially play 90 minutes.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Understandably outplayed and, at times, outclassed by a strong Norwich team. Hoolihan and Murphy ran the show with the latter giving Dijksteel a hard time all night long. For that reason, I found it difficult to measure Dijksteel's ability at this level. They pretty much dominated of course but we missed a couple of good chances before the game got beyond us.

Clarke had a good game and is going to play a pivotal part in this season. Magennis and Dasilva looked sharp also when they came on.

One thing that really stood out for me was Robinson's noticeable lack of enthusiasm on the sideline. He rarely occupied the 'tech area' and spent most of the time sitting down. Only reason I mention it is because it's unusual, that's all.

I was sat behind the dugout with some Norwich supporting mates and I agree he was unusually quite, Bowyer seemed to be doing the game management, maybe it was left to him for this game not sure why though.
    Also we parked in the club car park arriving at 6pm and at the same time as Robinson and Bowyer arrived in separate cars which seemed very odd. I asked them why they were not on the coach and they just fobbed it off saying they would get home quicker, strange I thought for the management not to be on the team coach.
    It was the same when we played Stevenage, KR and LB were not on the coach and arrived in separate cars. Perhaps KR still has a home somewhere near MK Dons and it gives him the opportunity to get to see the family rather than travelling all the way back to London, who knows!
    Or do scouting...

Agree it's a bit odd but it's like a two hour coach journey, I think the players will manage.
  • Options

Why is everyone typing in bold letters?

It's a simple IQ test.

I am sorry to inform you that you have totally failed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

dickplumb said:

I disagree in a way in the Carabao Cup in that I think it's a good chance for youngsters to get first team experience. That said, we're lucky in that we have a good academy and this year we have a number of players in their late teens/early 20s who are poised to be more involved in the first team.

That said, that is probably not the intention of the competition and the fact that I think it's good to blood youngsters probably shows it doesn't serve a huge purpose.

I hope Robinson bucks the rules and makes 8+ changes in the Checkatrade trophy. Would be good for the likes of Lapslie, Reeco, Barnes, plus RCC, Dijksteel, KAG to get starts and potentially play 90 minutes.
    For the record I don't care if they play a team from the Royal Oak in the Checkatrade thing.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

dickplumb said:

For the record I don't care if they play a team from the Royal Oak in the Checkatrade thing.
    It's the Checkatrade(TM) Trophy AB, get the branding right, otherwise what is the point?!?!?!

Seriously though, do you think I could get last ten minuted in holding midfield to help shut up shop should we get a lead?
  • Options

A waste of time entering the cup competitions if we don't take them seriously.

Is it optional then ?
  • Options
    Curbs done the same.
    We played Bolton away on 2 consecutive Saturday's if my memory is correct.
    The 1st game being in the cup.
    The 2nd being in the league.
    We lost the cup game but won the league game and went on to win the league.
    Curbs never tried to hide the fact that the league was his priority.
    Rightly so in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Just seen the two minute highlights. Lovely goal from Novak. Their first was brilliant. Second was good defending from Konsa then just rubbish luck that it fell right back to Murphy. Third and fourth were sloppy though it sounds like we were tired and trying to push on. Fosu could have scored at 1-1 and Big Josh at 2-1 right before their third. It sounded like Norwich were in top for most of the game, but despite the scoreline we didn't embarrass ourselves (going on player marks, MBM, and match report).
  • Options

Not quite sure about this?
    I am confused now, seven words in bold, did you walk out after 30 minutes?
  • Options

Curbs done the same.

Correct on the sequence.

I went to both and wish we won the cup game and lost the following week. We were going up anyway and it would have gave us a semi at Wembley.
  • Options
    We came, we saw, we lost .... Meh
  • Options

Curbs done the same.

Correct on the sequence.

I went to both and wish we won the cup game and lost the following week. We were going up anyway and it would have gave us a semi at Wembley.
    We put out a full side in both games