Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v West Indies 2017

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:

What happened to Jade Dernbach? He was horribly expensive when he last played for England, does he have some extra nous now? He was good when I saw him in a T20 this season

Dont go there.
  • Options
    I am 50/50 on Morgan. Pros are that he is the captain and might be a big risk to drop him. Still a great one day player on his day and has 3 centuries in 2017. However, doesn't play enough cricket leading to inconsistent spells. Probably the 6th best batsman after Hales, Root, Roy, Bairstow and Buttler. Also the oldest, the other 6 could be our team for years.

I wouldn't have dropped him this time last week, I didn't agree with the calls at the time as Roy was rightly dropped. He has come back strong so it's a tough one. I guess any suspension for Hales could make the decision easier.

Stokes at 6 and Ali at 7 is easy decision as is Woakes 8 and then Rashid and Plunkett.

In my opinion, only thing stopping us from becoming best team in the world is a truly top quality seamer. None of Jordan, Ball or Willey are the answer, possibly Wood. Think it's a shame Mills can't play one day cricket, I really rate him and he brings pace.
  • Options
    Forgot all about Mills - has he played this summer?
  • Options
    The thing about Willey is that after his 2nd over, when the ball stop swinging, he is a liability.
  • Options

The thing about Willey is that after his 2nd over, when the ball stop swinging, he is a liability.

Agreed, he's not quick enough. Useful in T20 as it's only 4 overs maximum and he can bat a little but not ODIs. Would probably have him over Ball or Jordan though.
  • Options
    Only just seen the scorecard. That was a thumping win. Cracking from Bairstow, and glad to see Roy get a score.

Those who watched... Were we good or WI indifferent...or both?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    McBobbin said:

Only just seen the scorecard. That was a thumping win. Cracking from Bairstow, and glad to see Roy get a score.

WI needed to get about 50 more. They were very poor in taking singles and also went a long time (was it an hour ?), without getting a boundary after Gayle was out.

We bowled well apart from Ball who was poor.

Bairstow makes a massive difference opening as we don't end up 3 down within half hour.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Both. No Lewis to bat and no Holder to bowl. Windies batsmen didn't rotate when the spinners were on, as evidenced by Samuels' 32 off 60 balls and they looked like they were 30 or so short.

The truth is that they could have got another hundred and it wouldn't have been enough because the wicket offered little and the Windies attack looked like it was already on the plane home. Roy, Bairstow and Root nevertheless did the job well.

All a bit of an anti climax really.

• Options
    Windies were mentally on the next plane home - also too cold & wet for them.

If it was a boxing match they'd had stopped it after 30 overs

The cricket season should start when the football season stops (mid May) and end on Sept 1st.
  • Options
    Tough on them to lose their two best batsmen from the Oval, and the manner of the defeat, and the fact that they couldn't level the series must have been deflating...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

What happened to Jade Dernbach? He was horribly expensive when he last played for England, does he have some extra nous now? He was good when I saw him in a T20 this season

I've said this before on a different thread. He is a much much better bowler now than he was when he played for England. Much more nous on when and when not to use his variations. His stock ball is a quicker one and he's better at Yorkers now too. He's consistently one of the best white ball bowlers in the county game every year for the last 5.

He came into the England side just as they were starting to wake up to the possibility of bowling variations in the one day game. They over compensated and told him to bowl sometging different every ball (because no one else in the side had variations) and so he over used them and wasn't great. They would use him much better now. They could do a lot worse than to pick Jade.

Having said that i think his time has gone and wouldn't go back to him.
  • Options
    radical idea for the first Aussie test .. presuming no Stokes .. Bairstow at 3 and Foulkes keeping wicket
    Cook, Stoneman, Bairstow, Root, Malan, Vince, Ali, Foulkes, Woakes, Broad, Anderson .. gives a long batting line up, though still potentially a fragile one and still room for 5 bowlers
  • Options

radical idea for the first Aussie test .. presuming no Stokes .. Bairstow at 3 and Foulkes keeping wicket
    Cook, Stoneman, Bairstow, Root, Malan, Vince, Ali, Foulkes, Woakes, Broad, Anderson .. gives a long batting line up, though still potentially a fragile one and still room for 5 bowlers

4 or 5 is where Bairstow should be it's where he has always batted. If anyone moves to 3 it should be root. Not ideal as 4 is his best spot and as captain we should take the pressure off him. But in the absence of anyone else it has to happen.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

4 or 5 is where Bairstow should be it's where he has always batted. If anyone moves to 3 it should be root. Not ideal as 4 is his best spot and as captain we should take the pressure off him. But in the absence of anyone else it has to happen.
    agree(ish), potentially and perhaps ideally Root should be at 3 .. BUT ... reportedly he does not like batting there .. keep him sweet and he IS the skipper .. it was only in a one day series, but Bairstow was a huge success at the top of the order .. he's worth a try there, a VERY tough and determined competitor
  • Options
    Yes but where does Ballance bat in that side?
  • Options

agree(ish), potentially and perhaps ideally Root should be at 3 .. BUT ... reportedly he does not like batting there .. keep him sweet and he IS the skipper .. it was only in a one day series, but Bairstow was a huge success at the top of the order .. he's worth a try there, a VERY tough and determined competitor
    One day side is very different to test cricket. Just because he's done well in the one day stuff does not mean he should bat 3 in test cricket. Hea never done it and shouldn't be thrown into it randomly for an ashes tour.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    What about Bairstow at 3 ?
    I like that idea.
  • Options

Yes but where does Ballance bat in that side?

12 hopefully
  • Options
    I went to the Oval for Wednesday's ODI. It was a cracking game. The rain came at just the right moment, five minutes earlier and the WIndies would have won on D/L.

£5.20 a pint, though.
  • Options
    If Bairstow is going to be moved up the order I'd take the gloves off him and give Buttler a go. He might not be the best keeper but his batting is something we need at 7 or 8.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If Bairstow is going to be moved up the order I'd take the gloves off him and give Buttler a go. He might not be the best keeper but his batting is something we need at 7 or 8.

I don't believe that Buttler won't be part of the Test set up simply because with the money available from the Bog Bash, IPL etc he will be going down that route.

Foakes is more than a competent batsman and would like to see him coming in as keeper and batting at 8 with Moeen at 7 and Woakes at 9.
  • Options
    So, Buttler WILL be part of the Test setup ??
  • Options

he's obviously not been selected for the test squad .. it's unlikely to say the least, that barring injury, he'll get a call up
  • Options

I went to the Oval for Wednesday's ODI. It was a cracking game. The rain came at just the right moment, five minutes earlier and the WIndies would have won on D/L.

£5.20 a pint, though.

I agree, great day.

Minus points = no beer snakes and shame he didn't get double ton, although if he had we would have lost. That said Friday's game may not have been a non event.

After 6th pint forgot about the cost of a pint....
  • Options

£5.20 a pint, though.

The beer price is painful, but at least the choice is really good, with several real ale stalls.

What's more painful is that every beer I drink enables Surrey to sign better players from other counties, grrrr!
  • Options

he's obviously not been selected for the test squad .. it's unlikely to say the least, that barring injury, he'll get a call up
    Poor joke, i was just picking up on AA's double negative re Buttler.
  • Options
    Don't know how anyone can consider Buttler. He has played one forst class game in over 2 years. If he was serious about getting into the test side he'd play at least a few county championship games a season.

You simply cannot consider someone who doesn't play the format anymore.

Foakes is a wayyy better keeper and in my opinion a better batsman in that format.
  • Options
    canters, do you want to move onto The Ashes thread? probably a bit more relevant now that this series is finished?
  • Options

canters, do you want to move onto The Ashes thread? probably a bit more relevant now that this series is finished?

You're right. I'll use that one for now on.
  • Options

£5.20 a pint, though.

The beer price is painful, but at least the choice is really good, with several real ale stalls.

What's more painful is that every beer I drink enables Surrey to sign better players from other counties, grrrr!
    Ker ching.