Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bristol Rovers | Sat 05 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    3-0 to the rip-roaring goal-scoring Addicks. Goals from Big Mag, Big Pat, and Little Jake.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    A hard fought and impressive 2-0 victory to fire up the optimism and hyperbole.
    Somebody will " pick up a knock"
    NB my predictions are never right
  • Options
    edited August 2017

SDAddick said:

"I just want to watch one or two more videos of Bristol Rovers and pick players that suit their weaknesses or negate the opposition.”

I mean ideally this should go without saying, but this is exactly how you should pick your starters. In the modern era where everyone has some squad depth, it's far more important to choose the 11 that line up best against the opposition as opposed to having a static first XI. I think it'll be particularly important for us as we have maybe 15 players pushing for starting births.
    or field our strongest team for the way we are going to play and let the away side worry about negating us.
    Indeed. The other way madness lies. The Rovers Boss: "we've just got to work out what team Charlton think we're playing, so we can work out which players they will select to negate our players, so we can work out which players to select to negate the players Charlton will select..." (Push shuffle button.)

And what's with "one or two injuries I'm not going to mention". Well, here's a plan don't mention them. At all. Then Rovers' boss might select players to negate players who aren't going to play because they are injured, oh, hang on.....

And I don't like the idea of pushing and births being in the same sentence when on a football forum or is this Mumsnet.... :wink:
  • Options

SDAddick said:

"I just want to watch one or two more videos of Bristol Rovers and pick players that suit their weaknesses or negate the opposition.”

I mean ideally this should go without saying, but this is exactly how you should pick your starters. In the modern era where everyone has some squad depth, it's far more important to choose the 11 that line up best against the opposition as opposed to having a static first XI. I think it'll be particularly important for us as we have maybe 15 players pushing for starting births.
    or field our strongest team for the way we are going to play and let the away side worry about negating us.
    Exactly. If you're West Brom playing against Chelsea, you put out the side that you think has the best chance of stifling their dangerous attackers.
    If you're Chelsea playing against West Brom then you put your best 11 out and say "deal with that".

If we have put together a side that has genuine promotion credentials (I don't think we have but Tubby McScouse seems to disagree) then we should be in the latter category.
  • Options
    Expectations high, opponents that were our 'rabbits' last season. Dead cert 0-0.

The post match thread will be interesting whatever happens.
  • Options

Just picked up some tickets. First time I have been to the ground in nearly two years. Last two times I saw them play has been at the new Den.

I don't know if it was the weather but the ground and its surrounds seemed much more shabby than I remember.

Always looks more shabby on a non match day, like most football grounds
  • Options
    That'll make the first game of the season interesting!
  • Options
    3-1 to the Addicks...Rovers getting a late consolation
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think we'll start well and peter out. 1-1
  • Options
    Addicted said:

roland out! who's peter?
  • Options
    Genuinely 3-1

Addicted said:

roland out! who's peter?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Personally I think we're more likely to see Novak and Barnes on the bench instead of Dijksteel and Watt

2-1 to the Addicks, Clarke and Magennis, 2 assists for Rickkkkaaaaaayyyyy

Worth bearing in mind that Holmes only got 6 assists in the whole of last season - not the best part of his game I'm afraid.
  • Options
    sm said:

sam3110 said:

Personally I think we're more likely to see Novak and Barnes on the bench instead of Dijksteel and Watt

2-1 to the Addicks, Clarke and Magennis, 2 assists for Rickkkkaaaaaayyyyy

Worth bearing in mind that Holmes only got 6 assists in the whole of last season - not the best part of his game I'm afraid.
    Fair point but he did set up two goals on Saturday, Magennis' and Bauer's. If we're good from set pieces then he'll get a fair few.
  • Options
    3-0 to us, new season optimism, all is forgiven, KR is a genius...until we suffer two crushing defeats down in Devon over the next seven days.
  • Options
    We'll come good this season.

2-0 to us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-1 home win with 2000 Gasheads making a racket at a half full Valley
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

2-1 home win with 2000 Gasheads making a racket at a half full Valley

Same.
    They do have good and noisy support.
  • Options
    Good match to start with and probably a close outcome in a tight game. The expectations are high and I expect us to do just enough to nick it, 1-0 to the Addicks. Great to be back!
  • Options
    Went to both games last year, expectations are high, they have signed a few. We need to go at it right from the start, we wont so 0-2.
  • Options
    A hard fought 1-0 win. No injuries and a little early season optimism.
  • Options
    It will depend on four things.
    Amos
    If the referee is on his game.
    The weather.
    If we kick the right or the wrong way.
  • Options
    Anyone have any idea who our penalty taker will be this season? Hopefully we may get our share this year. Currently looking at the odds for first goal scorer.
  • Options
    3:2 to us, the dream lives on...
    Leeeebuuuuurrrrrrnnnnnn
  • Options
    2-1 and a very late headed winner from one of our Defenders who came from the back under instructions from JJ
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Going tomorrow after staying away for a long while. Leaving the country indefinitely in just over two weeks and I'm not letting Roland & co. stop me catching my team one more time before I go.

Three points by 5pm and the game on the 19th looks tempting too.

1-1 draw. Holmes the scorer.