Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Amos signs season long loan (ed. Pg 9 - gone Millwall)

Comments

• Richard J said:

I know you say somewhere "like" Stoke but be surprised if they come in for him

Even if they sell Butland (which am sure they'll do), they've got Lee Grant who did a good job as No.2 in the Premier League for them

I only used Stoke as an example.

I know about Grant. Most Championship teams have two good keepers.

There are many other CC or even Prem sides who might sign him.
    Yes, Huddersfield have signed Hamer to be their No 2 keeper, but to me Amos is better
    Are you serious...just hope their no 1 doesn't get injured...
  • Hmmm think there's a reason Hamer is getting Premier League contracts and Amos isn't in Bolton's starting eleven......... can't put my finger on what it is.

Hamer is a much better 'keeper than people are remembering. A bit of revisionism going on I think.

Personally I think Amos is a better keeper. He had two bad years at Bolton and Cardiff which meant he needed a year with us to rebuild his reputation. Hamer has only played regularly when he was with us.

Unlike Tom Heaton, Luke Steele, Sam Johnstone and Dean Henderson, Amos made some first team appearances for Manchester United. Hamer never made a league start for Reading.
  • Hmmm think there's a reason Hamer is getting Premier League contracts and Amos isn't in Bolton's starting eleven......... can't put my finger on what it is.

Hamer is a much better 'keeper than people are remembering. A bit of revisionism going on I think.

Was ok at best... Had a great defence in front of him.... Got fed up watching simple shots going beneath him or just out of his reach. There is a reason he isn't a Pope or an Elliot... Was Rreadings third choice keeper
  • Richard J said:

Hmmm think there's a reason Hamer is getting Premier League contracts and Amos isn't in Bolton's starting eleven......... can't put my finger on what it is.

Personally I think Amos is a better keeper. He had two bad years at Bolton and Cardiff which meant he needed a year with us to rebuild his reputation. Hamer has only played regularly when he was with us.

Unlike Tom Heaton, Luke Steele, Sam Johnstone and Dean Henderson, Amos made some first team appearances for Manchester United. Hamer never made a league start for Reading.
    1 actually.

Hamer has 12 prem matches compared to Amos who has 1

Hamer has better distribution, which seems to be an important attribute for keepers now, but Amos to me is better in all the other attributes
  • edited June 2018
    Hamer runner up in the statbank for the 2012/13 season, our first back in the Championship after promotion. Amos yet to do it consistently at that level in his career. I think he has the talent to do it but he still has to prove it.
  • edited June 2018

Richard J said:

Hmmm think there's a reason Hamer is getting Premier League contracts and Amos isn't in Bolton's starting eleven......... can't put my finger on what it is.

1 actually.

Hamer has 12 prem matches compared to Amos who has 1

He played in one Champions League game and five League Cup matches also . My point is that the four keepers I mentioned each of whom would be good enough for us never managed even a Cup appearance for United .
  • Sponsored links:

• Comparing Hamer when we were in League 1 with Amos last season - I'd say Amos is the better, but not by much. Hamer better distribution and maybe has a few more worldy saves in him, but Amos much more commanding of his area and generally more solid and consistent all round. Hamer was nuts and good fun for it, but Amos is just the kind of keeper I like, no obvious weaknesses and wants to take charge of his area - he took some brilliant catches and made some big punches late in games that really helped us see out games. Fewer and fewer keepers seem to do that these days.
  • Thought he was pretty ropy at first, understandable with little game time. Lee Turner sorted him quickly, especially claiming high balls in the box. Who is the greater miss?
  • I must be in the minority then, I'd rather have Hamer than Amos.
  • He goes there then he's dead to me.

No offence @ValleyGary I really don’t get comments like this, he played for us for one season, he’s not a life long fan like us but a footballer and needs to work wherever the work is.
  • Amos is quality, would be surprised if he did not go on to be a PL starter in the next couple of years. Liked Hamer too and best distribution I have ever seen from a keeper.
  • edited June 2018

Richard J said:

I know you say somewhere "like" Stoke but be surprised if they come in for him

Even if they sell Butland (which am sure they'll do), they've got Lee Grant who did a good job as No.2 in the Premier League for them

I only used Stoke as an example.

I know about Grant. Most Championship teams have two good keepers.

There are many other CC or even Prem sides who might sign him.
    Yes, Huddersfield have signed Hamer to be their No 2 keeper, but to me Amos is better
    Are you serious...just hope their no 1 doesn't get injured...
    Good keeper was Ben, I take it you never saw his match winning saves away at Sheffield Weds in the cup and Leeds in the league the year we escaped relegation then :wink: .
  • I agree with Alwaysneil, give Phillips the shirt, I think he will turn out to be a very good keeper.
  • It has to be said that with one obvious (network) exception, the keepers we've had in recent years have all been pretty decent.
    Randolph
    Hamer
    Button
    Alnwick
    Henderson
    Pope
    Rudd
    Amos

Just about all have appeared in the PL at some point, either before us or afterwards

Etheridge just promoted the Prem with Cardiff too.
    Etheridge had a mare at Watford away 0-5 didn't rate him at all, must have improved a lot since his time with us, opinions and all that :wink:
  • Amos is quality, would be surprised if he did not go on to be a PL starter in the next couple of years. Liked Hamer too and best distribution I have ever seen from a keeper.

I would be very surprised if Amos turns out to be a premier league Number 1 but he’s certainly good enough to play in the Champ regularly.

He had a great season for us but that was on the back of a career seemingly going backwards. He still has a lot to prove but I hope he does well as he seems a decent bloke and I very wouldn’t hold a grudge if he turns up at Millwall

• Sponsored links:

• he's dead to me now
  • Never liked him anyway - will probably sign for Palace next....
  • RedChaser said:

It has to be said that with one obvious (network) exception, the keepers we've had in recent years have all been pretty decent.
    Randolph
    Hamer
    Button
    Alnwick
    Henderson
    Pope
    Rudd
    Amos

Just about all have appeared in the PL at some point, either before us or afterwards

Etheridge just promoted the Prem with Cardiff too.
    Etheridge had a mare at Watford away 0-5 didn't rate him at all, must have improved a lot since his time with us, opinions and all that :wink:
    Was not much in front of him tbf.
  • He was fecking shite... Didnt want him back here anyway!! (sob!)

Hopefully he'll lose form....

Hopefully he'll lose form....
    Its a step up the league but a backwards step as regards evolution.
  • Bad news. He’s a very good gk and will strengthen them.
  • Agent Amos ;-))
  • Who have Bolton got in goal that they keep loaning Amos out. Buffon?