Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Amos signs season long loan (ed. Pg 9 - gone Millwall)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Richard J said:

I hope Dillon can get a club at League 2 level . I find it interesting that David Martin hasn't signed anywhere yet . Maybe there are not any better options out there for him I would offer him a deal until January at least . I understand he lives locally .

I think Amos will improve with games . Both David Button and Neil Etheridge were slated by some on here and only played a handful of games for us . After playing regularly for Brentford and Walsall respectively they are both playing in the Championship this season for Fulham and Cardiff .

It's all about opinions but I thought Button was ok especially when having to step in away at Huddersfield when he came for everything in the dying seconds to get us over the line. Now Etheridge may well have improved but away at Watford one New Years Day? game, he was awful when we were trounced 5-0 and I recall some on here defending him after the game saying he kept the score down whilst ignoring the fact he was partly responsible for most that went past him along with the other players that day. Didn't rate him and not just on that game but clearly others do and keepers tend to improve with experience and maturity.

Haven't seen Amos in action yet so can't comment but it's early doors to pass judgement until he's had a decent run of games.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    A lot of fans were split over Elliott and Hamer, who was prone to the odd flap but I personally thought they were both decent and they, made it to the Prem!

Amos has the talent so it could well be a mental approach / confidence issue which has hindered his progress. Should that be the case hopefully the goalkeeping coach can sort him out.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

It's all about opinions but I thought Button was ok especially when having to step in away at Huddersfield when he came for everything in the dying seconds to get us over the line. Now Etheridge may well have improved but away at Watford one New Years Day he was awful when we were trounced 5-0 and I recall some on here defending him after the game saying he kept the score whilst ignoring the fact he was partly responsible for most that went past him along with the other players that day.

Haven't seen Amos in action yet so can't comment but it's early doors to pass judgement Upuntil he's had a decent run of games.

Surely the 5-0 was mid January, the game scheduled to be Luzon's first game.
  • Options

Think we have a problem in the keeper department. Players like Martin won't sign just to play second fiddle and we can't loan out Dillon until we get a second keeper in. Phillips needs to play a full season somewhere, preferably League Two, as sitting on our bench won't help him at all. We really need to sign a Shay Given/Paul Robinson type who will be good back up if called upon but content to sit on the bench and push the first choice in training. I wonder if the terms of Amos loan mean he has to play if fit?

I doubt there would be any such clause for Amos, it's not like a PL club loaning out one of their star youngsters, where the club might insist on plenty of game time, Bolton have got shot of Amos to reduce their wage bill and because they have plenty of keepers.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

RedChaser said:

It's all about opinions but I thought Button was ok especially when having to step in away at Huddersfield when he came for everything in the dying seconds to get us over the line. Now Etheridge may well have improved but away at Watford one New Years Day he was awful when we were trounced 5-0 and I recall some on here defending him after the game saying he kept the score whilst ignoring the fact he was partly responsible for most that went past him along with the other players that day.

Haven't seen Amos in action yet so can't comment but it's early doors to pass judgement Upuntil he's had a decent run of games.

Surely the 5-0 was mid January, the game scheduled to be Luzon's first game.
    Oops duly edited, must have lost a fortnight somewhere and I know why that game is foremost in your mind due to the return train journey? :wink:
  • Options
    I remember Deano didn't look that great in a few of his early games. Amos will likely get better and he was clearly fouled for one or two of his 'mistakes' yesterday. The quality, or lack there of, is being overstated imo.
  • Options
    He is average at best and at worst non league
  • Options
    I think people are being a bit harsh, he did spill one shot that they should of scored from but did also make a great save with his feet and come and collect crosses second half when they started pumping balls into the box which help take the pressure off.
  • Options

I think people are being a bit harsh, he did spill one shot that they should of scored from but did also make a great save with his feet and come and collect crosses second half when they started pumping balls into the box which help take the pressure off.

Saving with his feet reminds me of a certain French goalkeeper...
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    se9addick said:

What the one who had gloves on his feet and boots on his hands, had a famous cousin, yeh I remember him :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

dont i still have nightmares about Wigan away and its nothing to do with Wigan as a place.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

se9addick said:

dont i still have nightmares about Wigan away and its nothing to do with Wigan as a place.
    Lol we should've got something that day but you just knew he couldn't hold out as he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

His debut at Boro sewed the seed for what to expect when had weetabixed one from 30 yards and then made a couple of unbelievable stops with his feet.
  • Options
    1 almost fatal error 2 great other saves. He'll settle in fine. No worse than Rudd, Phillips or Pope
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

1 almost fatal error 2 great other saves. He'll settle in fine. No worse than Rudd, Phillips or Pope

maybe but what's the point if he's no BETTER than Phillips?

• Options
    edited August 2017

Dazzler21 said:

maybe but what's the point if he's no BETTER than Phillips?

I said no worse than... not no better than, given the levels he has played I am certain he's a better player than phillips. why don't we let him settle before slating him too much :neutral:

Phillips could learn a lot from him and that will be fantastic for him.

(I think following last season Phillips showed he can have fantastic games, but will take time for him to become consistent. I think he's a perfect back up to Amos).
  • Options
    Both Rudd and Phillips dropped balls last season. The difference is that Amos recovered and kept kept the ball out.
  • Options
    Would love to have Ben on a permanent. I get that he hasn't had much to do in a few games. However every time i've seen him he has been pretty much faultless.

A keeper who can kick a ball is rare for modern day football.
  • Options
    Has got better as the season has gone on which is a credit to him. Start of the season I wasn't convinced but he has made some fantastic saves over the season and my friend still speaks about his performance away at Bradford in October.

Do think his wages could be an issue going forward, but I would be happy for us to sign Amos permanently too.
  • Options

I remember Deano didn't look that great in a few of his early games. Amos will likely get better and he was clearly fouled for one or two of his 'mistakes' yesterday. The quality, or lack there of, is being overstated imo.

Can’t say I remember Deano ever looking dodgy. He was always Mr. Consistent- you knew what he was going to do (and where his goal kicks were going)
  • Options
    Wages could be a big issue yet having played League One Football for two seasons he should expect a wage deduction.

Would love to see him stay, shame he's only kept six clean sheets this season, its not a good number but a lot of goals we've conceded havent been due to his mistakes... the Plymouth second is the only time I've felt he should have saved it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To me he's a much better keeper than Rudd, his handling is so good, I think he inspires confidence in the rest of the team
  • Options

To me he's a much better keeper than Rudd, his handling is so good, I think he inspires confidence in the rest of the team

Was going to say that Amos is more experienced than Rudd yet cant believe they're both 27-years old!!

Amos definitely the better 'keeper
  • Options
    Having different centre backs in front of him nearly every game because of injuries, must be really difficult. Very consistent keeper.
  • Options
    Thought he was cack when I first saw him play but since then he's been solid as a rock. Contender for our best player this season...
  • Options
    Amos has hardly made a mistake this season, apart from a few flaps in the first couple of games.
  • Options

Thought he was cack when I first saw him play but since then he's been solid as a rock. Contender for our best player this season...

Some players just need a run in the side to settle themselves.

• Options
    Made a brilliant point blank save today though didn't count as offside or a foul or something. He is very solid.
  • Options
    clive said:
    He deserves it for this month, I'm sure the Pompey fans in particular would agree!
  • Options

clive said:
    He deserves it for this month, I'm sure the Pompey fans in particular would agree!
    Bet the Blackburn fans would too if Mulgrew hadnt been nominated