Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Van hits pedestrians outside Finsbury Park Mosque

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

We have a black lawyers association. Wtf is that about

THE DIRECTOR of the Black Solicitors Network (BSN) is calling on law regulators to introduce employment and progression targets after their recent diversity league table showed “shockingly” low representation of black lawyers in senior positions.

Cordella Bart-Stewart, founder and executive director of the 6,000-member organisation, set up the BSN Diversity League Table in 2006 amid concerns that African and Caribbean solicitors were not getting equal access to advancement opportunities.

The table measures and tracks employment trends within the legal profession. This year 42 firms with an average of 454 paid employees took part in the study.

It was found that, despite overall improvements in black and minority ethnic (BME) intakes, and the fact that approximately 33 per cent of students starting a first degree in law hailed from a BME background, only 0.6 per cent of black solicitors make partner.
    Sorry but whats this got to do with forming an orrganisation based on colour.
    Equal opportunities for minority groups?

If 90% of engineers were BME and all the top tops went to BME then it would be entirely valid for their to be a White Engineers Association.

I'm guessing it's the other way around though.

The question still stands, what would be the aims of a White Engineers Association, apart from 'well if they've got one then so should we'.
    We are an equal opportunities company... My question to YOU is why does colour have to do with ability to do the job... If your good you will get the job .. Too many minorities are forming these little clubs as they are simply not good enough....
    Btw our chief executive is black and the best guy we've had for years, and he tried to stop it but wooly liberals voted it in... He resigned and will leave in october.
    Well if you are truly an equal opps employer, and you have a robust performance management system that will accurately and fairly identify poor performers and also those with potential for advancement then the Black Engineers aint got anything to worry about, have they?

And the answer to your question is of course colour has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with ability to do a job.
    We are a robust company and we have a improvement measures for everyone, but some say your only firing as i am....... Fill the rest in yourself... Thats why these little racist organisations are set up.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

THE DIRECTOR of the Black Solicitors Network (BSN) is calling on law regulators to introduce employment and progression targets after their recent diversity league table showed “shockingly” low representation of black lawyers in senior positions.

Cordella Bart-Stewart, founder and executive director of the 6,000-member organisation, set up the BSN Diversity League Table in 2006 amid concerns that African and Caribbean solicitors were not getting equal access to advancement opportunities.

The table measures and tracks employment trends within the legal profession. This year 42 firms with an average of 454 paid employees took part in the study.

It was found that, despite overall improvements in black and minority ethnic (BME) intakes, and the fact that approximately 33 per cent of students starting a first degree in law hailed from a BME background, only 0.6 per cent of black solicitors make partner.

If 90% of engineers were BME and all the top tops went to BME then it would be entirely valid for their to be a White Engineers Association.

The question still stands, what would be the aims of a White Engineers Association, apart from 'well if they've got one then so should we'.
    We are an equal opportunities company... My question to YOU is why does colour have to do with ability to do the job... If your good you will get the job .. Too many minorities are forming these little clubs as they are simply not good enough....
    Btw our chief executive is black and the best guy we've had for years, and he tried to stop it but wooly liberals voted it in... He resigned and will leave in october.
    There is a massive amount of prejudice in our society - mediocre white people have had the upper hand for decades. People are routinely denied interviews on the basis of their surname and not their qualifications.

If you read the numerous studies and reports on the subject rather than quote urban myths you might see why action is taken.

Surname what planet you on... I bet you have never interviewed anyone for a job
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I'm assuming a lot of groups are set up to fight prejudice - as far as I can see this affects some groups more than others. There is a whole host of studies and literature on the subject or alternatively it could be dismissed as 'fake news'.

I don't know why people are so threatened by attempts to combat prejudice?

There is no requirement to do it.. If i set up a white charlton fan club i assume based on the response so far you would be happy to join me. As my aims would be the same as some that have been mentioned. Ie minority club in London
    What would be the purpose of a white Charlton fan club? What things to white Charlton fans miss out on that other Charlton fans are able to avail themselves of?
    Same reasons as mentioned earlier by others... Or is it ok one way
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Well if you are truly an equal opps employer, and you have a robust performance management system that will accurately and fairly identify poor performers and also those with potential for advancement then the Black Engineers aint got anything to worry about, have they?

And the answer to your question is of course colour has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with ability to do a job.
    We are a robust company and we have a improvement measures for everyone, but some say your only firing as i am....... Fill the rest in yourself... Thats why these little racist organisations are set up.
    I don't understand the point you are trying to make or why you are getting so angry? Do you think it's a good idea to combat prejudice and work towards equality or do you want things to stay as they are?

• Options

Chizz said:

I'm assuming a lot of groups are set up to fight prejudice - as far as I can see this affects some groups more than others. There is a whole host of studies and literature on the subject or alternatively it could be dismissed as 'fake news'.

I don't know why people are so threatened by attempts to combat prejudice?

There is no requirement to do it.. If i set up a white charlton fan club i assume based on the response so far you would be happy to join me. As my aims would be the same as some that have been mentioned. Ie minority club in London
    What would be the purpose of a white Charlton fan club? What things to white Charlton fans miss out on that other Charlton fans are able to avail themselves of?
    Same reasons as mentioned earlier by others... Or is it ok one way
    I haven't seen anyone give any good reasons for a "white Charlton fan club". So, if you have, what are they?
  • Options
    I didnt say i wanted to i said if i did.. There is adequate membership for me to be a Charlton fan which has nothing to with colour. So if i wanted a black Charlton fan club you would be ok with that.

Btw i am surprised you have the audacity to show your face after your cheap jibes on the manchester forum.. Yes you know what i mean... I havent forgot
  • Options
    Should more have been done about this terrorist?

From Sky:
    The man suspected of driving into Muslims was thrown out a pub for "shouting about Islam" and reported to police 24 hours earlier.
    Osborne is said to have been asked to leave the Hollybush pub in the Welsh capital on Saturday night.
    Pub regular Phil Henry said: "He was kicked out of here, the landlord said, for shouting about Islam. He was asked to leave quietly and he went.
    "He came in here and he was just staring before he started shouting.
    "When he came in the landlord said he was on his own and started shouting 'I'll kill every f****** Muslim'."
    Edward Gardiner, one of Osborne's neighbours, said he called police at 12.27am on Sunday to report his concerns for the welfare of a man sitting in a Pontyclun Van Hire vehicle.
    A similar vehicle was seen near to where one man died and eleven were injured in Finsbury Park, an incident police are treating as a suspected terror attack.
    Mr Gardiner said: "I called police because I saw a random van in my cul-de-sac with someone drunk in it and the door open.
    "I could smell alcohol on him and he was grunting and groaning. I poked him but he didn't respond so I called 101.
    "It was a Pontyclun Van Hire van. They said they would sort it out. They didn't give me a crime reference number, I don't know if they came out.
    He added: "I didn't think anything about it but then I saw the news reports and it was the same guy, the same van."

From The Guardian:
    The suspect in the Finsbury Park mosque attack is believed to have hired the van involved several days before driving to London.

So, he hired a van last week, was threatening to kill Muslims on Saturday night, was reported to the police in the early hours of Sunday (for being drunk in charge), but still committed that crime 24 hours later.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

I don't understand the point you are trying to make or why you are getting so angry? Do you think it's a good idea to combat prejudice and work towards equality or do you want things to stay as they are?

We are all one we dont need to form little off shoot organisations you are an engineer scientist or whatever.
  • Options

I didnt say i wanted to i said if i did.. There is adequate membership for me to be a Charlton fan which has nothing to with colour. So if i wanted a black Charlton fan club you would be ok with that.

Btw i am surprised you have the audacity to show your face after your cheap jibes on the manchester forum.. Yes you know what i mean... I havent forgot

Cheap jibes? Manchester forum? I wish I did know what you think you mean, chippy. But let's get back to the topic in hand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

From Sky:
    The man suspected of driving into Muslims was thrown out a pub for "shouting about Islam" and reported to police 24 hours earlier.
    Osborne is said to have been asked to leave the Hollybush pub in the Welsh capital on Saturday night.
    Pub regular Phil Henry said: "He was kicked out of here, the landlord said, for shouting about Islam. He was asked to leave quietly and he went.
    "When he came in the landlord said he was on his own and started shouting 'I'll kill every f****** Muslim'."
    Edward Gardiner, one of Osborne's neighbours, said he called police at 12.27am on Sunday to report his concerns for the welfare of a man sitting in a Pontyclun Van Hire vehicle.
    A similar vehicle was seen near to where one man died and eleven were injured in Finsbury Park, an incident police are treating as a suspected terror attack.
    Mr Gardiner said: "I called police because I saw a random van in my cul-de-sac with someone drunk in it and the door open.
    "I could smell alcohol on him and he was grunting and groaning. I poked him but he didn't respond so I called 101.
    "It was a Pontyclun Van Hire van. They said they would sort it out. They didn't give me a crime reference number, I don't know if they came out.
    He added: "I didn't think anything about it but then I saw the news reports and it was the same guy, the same van."

From The Guardian:
    The suspect in the Finsbury Park mosque attack is believed to have hired the van involved several days before driving to London.

So, he hired a van last week, was threatening to kill Muslims on Saturday night, was reported to the police in the early hours of Sunday (for being drunk in charge), but still committed that crime 24 hours later.

Totally agree but just found out theres only 4 police stations in surrey and probably less in cardiff
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Cheap jibes? Manchester forum? I wish I did know what you think you mean, chippy. But let's get back to the topic in hand.
    You know
  • Options
    A white Charlton fan club sounds terrible btw.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

A white Charlton fan club sounds terrible btw.

I agree thats why i wouldn't form one. So why do people feel they have to form associations based on colour. Which clearly states exclusion of others.
  • Options
    How about a junior reds?
  • Options
    Lol good as the only rules are age
  • Options
    Simple question on this one.

Is it okay and generally acceptable to say as a black man or woman that you are proud to be black? Yes - we hear it often.

Is it okay and generally acceptable to be a white man or woman and state that you are proud to be white?

Both should be completely acceptable if the other is but I know one would cause raised eyebrows at a minimum in just about any location or scenario in this Country.

I think the increased influx of black (or any other minority) groups/clubs in a lot of cases is a manifestation of that pride - not a problem with me but definitely double standards in the general reaction to it.
  • Options

Chizz said:

From Sky:

From The Guardian:

Totally agree but just found out theres only 4 police stations in surrey and probably less in cardiff
    I'm sure that a call about a drunk-in-charge in Cardiff wouldn't be dispatched from Surrey. I'm equally sure there is 24x7 policing in Cardiff. I hope the police are able to answer questions as to whether this bit of vigilance was properly followed-through.
  • Options
    I dont see where colour has anything to do with it. i find it depressing that some of the professional bodies i work with feel the need to form their own little splinter groups, and find it more amazing that others feel its acceptable.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

rananegra said:

The point of the parallels being drawn with "getting the leaders of the white community to condemn this act" etc is that it is precisely what happens every time there's a terror attack done by Islamists in the West. The "Muslim community must condemn this" and generally they do. But the Muslims I know don't get why it's only them who get asked it and why it's not taken as a given. Why it is that when white racists carry out these attacks there isn't the same response and a lot of the time it's not even called terrorism when a white bloke does it, he's always a lone wolf. I don't think anyone drawing these parallels thinks it's true - it's a rhetorical device. (I could be wrong of course)

The elephant in the room is that most Muslims know where the hate-preachers are funded from and the particular strain of fundamentalist Islam that is the best funded across the Islamic world is the promoted ideology of the house of Saud. And no one is going to bite that particular hand - not the mosques, and certainly not the western governments who are allied to Saudi Arabia.

Is 'white' an ideology? Also, is there such a thing as 'the white community'? do we/they have community leaders? does 'white' have places of worship where an ideological 'white' belief is taught?

Not looking for an argument but I just don't get the parallels at all.
    It's is, as @rananegra said, a rhetorical device.

The "white" community is very diverse and so while being a white British middle aged man myself I don't feel any responsibility for what another British white middle aged man did and no one expects me to. That was the point.
    I think people need to be careful not to conflate race with religion, which seems to be what people do when trying to compare these sorts of events.
    It's not a comparison. It's a rhetorical point about the differing response.

Note how some people who were outraged and very active on other threads about other attacks have hardly commented or not commented at all. In some cases not even to say RIP or to condemn the attacker. It's the double standards over collective responsibility that are being highlighted NOT comparing race with religion

You will see early that someone was predicting a "race war" as an outcome of the attack. Something that I have heard spouted since the 1970s as something that is always five years away. Often said with some relish and wish fulfilment too although i'm not saying that person was doing so.

The point is that saying "all whites" is a stupid as saying "all Muslims".
    Absolutely spot on. And I fully agree it is very telling that a number of posters who were very active in the other threads have nothing to say.
    Actually, if you take note of numerous requests from admin to keep personal feuds away from serious/sensitive threads then I'm sure myself and others recently have purposefully kept away from this sort of thread for the greater good.

Nothing personal at all. If you have a serious point to make about this then you should make it but at the moment the silence is deafening.
    Have you seen the weather lately?
    Sorry, but beer gardens are BBQ's are far more appealing than adding 'serious points ' to a thread that has seemingly been going around in circles for a bit now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

There's also a London Paranoid Network. But you haven't been invited to join, chippy.

I don't live in London
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

We are all one we dont need to form little off shoot organisations you are an engineer scientist or whatever.
    The thing is they have needed to. I can't speak for any other ethnic race or sexuality because I'm a white male, but using the example of say the black lawyers association or women in STEM, these groups have been formed because historically there was and still is massive underrepresentation in those fields. They exist for one purpose, to establish equal opportunity and further the cause of said demographic so that we have a level playing field.

Without such groups we would still be very much in the dark ages. Some may argue we still are.

The black lawyer's society is a great example. God alone knows what it must've been like to be a blank person trying to break into the legal profession 30/40 years ago.

I saw a good example on my LinkedIn feed today. Someone posted a picture of 12 new summer interns at House of Fraser. They were all white females. What if you're an Indian bloke who wants to get into fashion/retail? Might be you form a group to represent others who have a shared common interest in fashion/retail, but you're put off applying for the industry because you think it's an industry for good looking white females etc

The world of work is only slowly waking up to equality and inclusion. It will take years. Groups are needed to mobilise and encourage to break the status quo.

Go on any exec/management team bios of a company website in pretty much any industry. I would wager 80% are white males aged 40-60, probably more. Go out into society and 80% of the people you meet aren't white males between 40-60.

The groups are a good thing
  • Options
    Probably not Chizz, as drunken, stupid comments like that are probably ten-a-penny and until attacks like the terrible one on Friday become a common feature in England and/or Europe, I doubt the drunken racist ramblings of a bloke in a pub will be taken literally unfortunately.

It has taken a huge surge of attacks from Islamic extremists to get to the discussions we are currently having more openly about how to control that problem, so it's ridiculously unrealistic to expect the exact same reaction to this terrible attack.

Let's face it, this was more than likely a cretinous revenge attack from an idiot with racist tendencies, who like most of us was pissed off about the recent attacks, but lacked the intelligence to not see that what he was going to do was exactly the same thing he has grown to hate - the murder of poor innocent people.

All i believe is that this attack was the predictable result of attacks against 'us'. If 'we' were not being attacked then I don't believe this attack would ever have happened.

Islamic extremist attacks on the other hand are a different, ideological beast and for the moment I know which one is the bigger concern for me.
  • Options

Probably not Chizz, as drunken, stupid comments like that are probably ten-a-penny and until attacks like the terrible one on Friday become a common feature in England and/or Europe, I doubt the drunken racist ramblings of a bloke in a pub will be taken literally unfortunately.

It has taken a huge surge of attacks from Islamic extremists to get to the discussions we are currently having more openly about how to control that problem, so it's ridiculously unrealistic to expect the exact same reaction to this terrible attack.

Let's face it, this was more than likely a cretinous revenge attack from an idiot with racist tendencies, who like most of us was pissed off about the recent attacks, but lacked the intelligence to not see that what he was going to do was exactly the same thing he has grown to hate - the murder of poor innocent people.

All i believe is that this attack was the predictable result of attacks against 'us'. If 'we' were not being attacked then I don't believe this attack would ever have happened.

Islamic extremist attacks on the other hand are a different, ideological beast and for the moment I know which one is the bigger concern for me.

I agree with a lot of this post. Exception for the distinction "us". Every attack on British people, in Britain, is an attack against "us". So, I wouldn't draw a distinction between Westminster, Manchester, London Bridge and Finsbury Park: they are all attacks on us.

The day that *all* such attacks ceasing permanently can't come too soon, in my opinion.
  • Options
    When I say 'us' I mean the British way of life. I see the Islamic attacks as an intentional and direct attack on our way of life, unlike last Friday's which was a revenge attack against those attacks, all-be-it, a disgusting one which has done more harm than good and resulted in more unnecessary misery.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

The thing is they have needed to. I can't speak for any other ethnic race or sexuality because I'm a white male, but using the example of say the black lawyers association or women in STEM, these groups have been formed because historically there was and still is massive underrepresentation in those fields. They exist for one purpose, to establish equal opportunity and further the cause of said demographic so that we have a level playing field.

Without such groups we would still be very much in the dark ages. Some may argue we still are.

The black lawyer's society is a great example. God alone knows what it must've been like to be a blank person trying to break into the legal profession 30/40 years ago.

I saw a good example on my LinkedIn feed today. Someone posted a picture of 12 new summer interns at House of Fraser. They were all white females. What if you're an Indian bloke who wants to get into fashion/retail? Might be you form a group to represent others who have a shared common interest in fashion/retail, but you're put off applying for the industry because you think it's an industry for good looking white females etc

The world of work is only slowly waking up to equality and inclusion. It will take years. Groups are needed to mobilise and encourage to break the status quo.

Go on any exec/management team bios of a company website in pretty much any industry. I would wager 80% are white males aged 40-60, probably more. Go out into society and 80% of the people you meet aren't white males between 40-60.

Isn't it more likely that until the 50s/60s we were primarily a white European country? How many black managers in the football league? Is it because of racism or just most of them are shit?
  • Options

cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Isn't it more likely that until the 50s/60s we were primarily a white European country? How many black managers in the football league? Is it because of racism or just most of them are shit?
    Yep. But we adopted a policy of proactive immigration in the 50s from places like the Caribbean if I'm not mistaken (I may be wrong). If we are open to immigration we must recognise that people will want to build lives here and be successful.

Very hard to do that in a different culture where they are in a minority and certain professions are a closed shop.

It can be taken further than race. I did an LPC which is the year's qualification you have to do before being taken on by a law firm for a training contract. Got to law school and everyone else in my class had a training contract, I didn't. Variety of reasons for this, including they were probably better and had followed processes and procedures etc, but in all honesty I would never have fitted into law. My saaarff London accent is strong and renounced pronunciation goes along way. I'm not saying this was a major factor, but cultural elements and upbringing come into play.

It's getting better/diluted as generations pass, because the world of work is a lot more open now what with start ups, new industries and technology, but it will take a while (if ever) to be a level playing field

Football is a difficult one because I would tend to agree with you that apart from maybe Powell, Chris Houghton etc, it's hard to name black managers that have been successful and it's taken a while for the black players that started out in the Lawrie Cunningham era etc to get to management age. But, again, I would say how many successful black British players have we seen now in our lifetimes, loads. If there is a lack of black managers/coaches, again, it reinforces and supports the idea that maybe it's not a career choice after they pack up, so why would they apply.

Football in my opinion has been well behind the curb when it comes to institutionalised racism which has also been a factor. We're just about cleansing the game of the Ron Atkinson's of the world. These characters have loomed large for too long. It's like a cancer, you've had treatment but you haven't eradicated all of it
  • Options

When I say 'us' I mean the British way of life. I see the Islamic attacks as an intentional and direct attack on our way of life, unlike last Friday's which was a revenge attack against those attacks, all-be-it, a disgusting one which has done more harm than good and resulted in more unnecessary misery.

I would agree that Manchester, London Bridge and Finsbury Park were an attack on the British way of life and I think Westminster was too.

I don't know what you're referring to in terms of last Friday, sorry.
  • Options
    A man has been arrested on suspicion of posting an offensive Facebook post about the London Finsbury Park attack.

Police said a 37-year-old, believed to be the son of an owner of the Rhondda Cynon Taff company whose van was used in Monday's attack, is in custody.

Richard Evans allegedly posted: "It's a shame they don't hire out steam rollers or tanks could have done a tidy job then."
    His father, Lee Evans, said he condemned the remarks.

South Wales Police said a 37-year-old man was being held on suspicion of displaying threatening, abusive, insulting written material with intent that is likely to stir up racial hatred.
  • Options
    Did the Al quds march go ahead last weekend?