Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• Options

i could be wrong but there is no way the constant attacks on the pm would happen if it was a man, why was corbyn out meeting with the eu officials - nothing to do with him - his party wont be in charge anytime soon.

will also be interesting to see what coverage the conservative conference gets as last nights news consisted of the same 10 mins shown the previous night of jc jigging to children of the revolution ( cock ) and then 1 min of mays day, surely the news should be impartial?.

Well I get the sense from this that you are not a Corbynista.

As for your outrage at JC meeting with the EU as being none of his business. That’s a joke right ? Of course it’s his business. He’s leader of Her Majesty’s Opposition. It’s his duty and job to be involved. It would be a dereliction of responsibility if he wasn’t in close contact. As for his party not being in power any time soon. I suppose you try to keep up with events going on with Brexit ? As a brief recap. We have a Prime Minister clinging onto a deal (Chequers) that is unacceptable to her own party. Unacceptable to the EU and unacceptable to the House of Commons. Almost exactly six months to the Brexit date and not even remotely close to a deal being struck. Between now and then we either get a deal something other than Chequers. We can’t get a deal and crash out. Teresa May is teetering on the edge of a vote of no confidence. A leadership challenge and the bookies have a favourite date for General Election as 2019 if not before.
    Nobody knows what’s going to happen but one thing we can be certain of and that is nobody can say with certainty that Labour won’t be in power any time soon.

Regarding your assertion that the news should be impartial and wasn’t because it showed more minutes of JC than TM. Do you think there is a connection between the coverage of Corbyn this week because the Labour Party Conference has just ended and Corbyn made what was seen by many as a breakthrough speech ?

Just saying.

that's why i said it will be interesting to see next weeks news and whether it gets the same amount of minutes, as it hasnt happened yet and the news has not been broadcast yet i cannot answer that.

JC some of his ideas are great but they are not going to work everything for everyone does not happen if someone can actually fill me in as to where the money is going to come from to give free unis, renationalising the railways and services then i am all ears.
    like all ideas they sound great but putting them into practice is a different story
    regarding brexit the majority like it or not wanted to stop free movement between eu countries not factual but i would esimate 80% of leave voters this was there rational behind the vote, unless i am wrong the ideas jc is putting forward is that free movement will still be able to take place? correct me if im wrong.

and yes he is the opposition - i think he will be for a while
  • Options
    They have no choice but to bash opponents. Otherwise the vacuum of the Tory offer to the country is exposed.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

They have no choice but to bash opponents. Otherwise the vacuum of the Tory offer to the country is exposed.

and what do labour do? do they not bash opponents the word opponents means a rival that you want to beat.

a lot of double standards - which i why i think a lot of politics is a load of bollocks - i agree with a lot of labours point but to social for me i'm afraid, everything for everyone - ends up bankrupt.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    If I were May I'd cancel the conference this year explaining that there is more important work to do in terms of delivering Brexit and governing the country. I think that would go down well with the public rather than see people patting themselves on the back for the mess the country is in! If they have genuine debates it will highlight their divisions and if they keep bashing Corbyn it will show they fear him.

And if May delivers a good speech, those of us that are picking holes in it will say it wasn't so good. A bit like on here, when Corbyn delivered what was generally acknowledged to be an excellent speech. Feels like a lose/lose scenario to me as if she delivers a so so or bad speech it then does a lot of damage.

• Options

If I were May I'd cancel the conference this year explaining that there is more important work to do in terms of delivering Brexit and governing the country. I think that would go down well with the public rather than see people patting themselves on the back for the mess the country is in! If they have genuine debates it will highlight their divisions and if they keep bashing Corbyn it will show they fear him.

if he does get in will it be acceptable to wave banners around outside parliament and have manequins of him etc? and if people do will they be peaceful protestors or will they be right wing crybabies?
  • Options
    Protests are a good thing.
    As is taking industrial action like on the trains.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Of course. If people protest peacefully, they are peaceful protesters. Corbyn has been a peaceful protester all his life so won't stop or want to stop opponents of his doing so.

My point about bashing Corbyn is not that they shouldn't be allowed to do it - but if they do it too much it looks like they are scared of him. I want them to bash him.
  • Options

i could be wrong but there is no way the constant attacks on the pm would happen if it was a man, why was corbyn out meeting with the eu officials - nothing to do with him - his party wont be in charge anytime soon.

will also be interesting to see what coverage the conservative conference gets as last nights news consisted of the same 10 mins shown the previous night of jc jigging to children of the revolution ( cock ) and then 1 min of mays day, surely the news should be impartial?.

As for your outrage at JC meeting with the EU as being none of his business. That’s a joke right ? Of course it’s his business. He’s leader of Her Majesty’s Opposition. It’s his duty and job to be involved. It would be a dereliction of responsibility if he wasn’t in close contact. As for his party not being in power any time soon. I suppose you try to keep up with events going on with Brexit ? As a brief recap. We have a Prime Minister clinging onto a deal (Chequers) that is unacceptable to her own party. Unacceptable to the EU and unacceptable to the House of Commons. Almost exactly six months to the Brexit date and not even remotely close to a deal being struck. Between now and then we either get a deal something other than Chequers. We can’t get a deal and crash out. Teresa May is teetering on the edge of a vote of no confidence. A leadership challenge and the bookies have a favourite date for General Election as 2019 if not before.
    Nobody knows what’s going to happen but one thing we can be certain of and that is nobody can say with certainty that Labour won’t be in power any time soon.

Regarding your assertion that the news should be impartial and wasn’t because it showed more minutes of JC than TM. Do you think there is a connection between the coverage of Corbyn this week because the Labour Party Conference has just ended and Corbyn made what was seen by many as a breakthrough speech ?

Just saying.

that's why i said it will be interesting to see next weeks news and whether it gets the same amount of minutes, as it hasnt happened yet and the news has not been broadcast yet i cannot answer that.

JC some of his ideas are great but they are not going to work everything for everyone does not happen if someone can actually fill me in as to where the money is going to come from to give free unis, renationalising the railways and services then i am all ears.
    like all ideas they sound great but putting them into practice is a different story
    regarding brexit the majority like it or not wanted to stop free movement between eu countries not factual but i would esimate 80% of leave voters this was there rational behind the vote, unless i am wrong the ideas jc is putting forward is that free movement will still be able to take place? correct me if im wrong.

Read the Labour Party Manifesto.

• Options

Just saying.

Nobody reads manifestos - the more ill informed we are the better.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Just saying.

basically raise taxes on the wealthy and corporations ( from 19 - 26% ) - which will obviously just make the wealthy move abroad and make large business move to lower tax regions ( dublin being one where a lot are based google/facebook etc ) and then it will be taxing the everyday working people to facilitate free education etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just saying.

I did and can't see how it all adds up.

Fairly certain I'll be spoiling by ballot for the next GE.
  • Options

Just saying.

top notch banter tbh ( i cant put a response back so ill just be as sarcastic as possible )
  • Options

Just saying.

top notch banter tbh ( i cant put a response back so ill just be as sarcastic as possible )
    It's not banter - what percentage of the electorate do you think actually read manifestos?
  • Options

Just saying.

It's not banter - what percentage of the electorate do you think actually read manifestos?
    A shockingly low percentage, I would imagine.

I'd guess my sister is more of an 'average voter' than I am, I doubt she knows what a manifesto is.
  • Options

Just saying.

I did and can't see how it all adds up.

Fairly certain I'll be spoiling by ballot for the next GE.
    but it was fully costed :wink:

I think it would shock labour how little extra they would raise. Outside of the some PAYE people on 80-150k they'd not only not collect the extra but lose a lot of what is currently collected. We had plans in place to implement if Labour and their policies did get in. It would have considerably lowered the current take by probably 5-6m and we aren't a massive company by any stretch. That's before the top 4/5 earners shipped themselves off to Bermuda so losing maybe £3-4m in currently collected income tax/Ni from individuals and company. A lot of people like me would have started paying into pension again or increasing what they do pay to minimise any additional tax. If there are 150 people in my company where the tax would have gone up, I doubt more than a handful would actually have paid anymore.

Only a small example I know, and many companies wouldn't find it so easy to quickly change, although I suspect larger companies would be able to with relative ease.

I think it would soon get to a situation where more radical taxation would be required and they'd probably have to break the promise of no increase in the next parliament on tax for those earning below a level. But we'll never fully know until/if it happens. Would certainly be interesting times.
  • Options

B

Just saying.

basically raise taxes on the wealthy and corporations ( from 19 - 26% ) - which will obviously just make the wealthy move abroad and make large business move to lower tax regions ( dublin being one where a lot are based google/facebook etc ) and then it will be taxing the everyday working people to facilitate free education etc.

People have been saying that raising taxes will drive the filthy rich abroad for years and years. It’s almost as much of a lie as “the cheque is the post”. The reason they live here in London is because it’s a great place to live. The people we’re talking about here won’t alter their preferred lifestyle because it costs them more to do so. It’s part of the deal of being stinking rich. They might moan a bit but on the whole not too many will leave.

Corporation tax at 26% will still be competitive. If large companies do move abroad it’s more likely to be because of Brexit not a raise in corporation tax.

As for increasing tax for “ordinary” people to pay for educating the next generation. For having a better health service. Having a modern effective railway system. Yada, yada, yada. I say bring it on.

And how much extra did the 50p band raise when it was put in, or how much did revenue drop when it went from 50 to 45p, or did it actually go up? People will and do adapt.

My industry of Reinsurance most UK companies are part of a wider group that will have domiciled companies in Ireland, Bermuda, The far East, Australasia, The US etc etc. They can divert a lot of that business out of the UK (the part they don't already) with minimal disruption to staff and the business itself, it doesn't need to be in London/UK. Literally overnight I could move 800m of income to Bermuda or the US.

I agree the filthy rich as you put it, the majority won't up sticks. But what they will do is manage their businesses to maintain their status quo/lifestyle/income etc, you are kidding yourself if you believe any different. It's the middle pot in the 80-150k who could do little, although even they I suspect will do some things, whether that's paying more into their own pensions or spouses etc, reduce charitable giving and the like, there are numerous, legitimate ways to do so.

I can hand on heart say that of 150 people in my company that labour would increase the tax rate on, only a handful would actually end up paying anything more, but conversely with things like Uni fee's, many like me would be considerably better off. I knew quite a few who started to look at state schools as they would have had to move out of private - hardly going to help raise money or improve the already over crowded state schools.

I like a lot of what Labour propose to do, but sadly I think they live in cloud cuckoo land as to how most of that will be achieved. Ultimately and proportionately, the whole country will need to be prepared to pay for the improvements from the Barista to the Barrister and I don't think we are as a society there yet.

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

B

Just saying.

People have been saying that raising taxes will drive the filthy rich abroad for years and years. It’s almost as much of a lie as “the cheque is the post”. The reason they live here in London is because it’s a great place to live. The people we’re talking about here won’t alter their preferred lifestyle because it costs them more to do so. It’s part of the deal of being stinking rich. They might moan a bit but on the whole not too many will leave.

Corporation tax at 26% will still be competitive. If large companies do move abroad it’s more likely to be because of Brexit not a raise in corporation tax.

As for increasing tax for “ordinary” people to pay for educating the next generation. For having a better health service. Having a modern effective railway system. Yada, yada, yada. I say bring it on.

I like a lot of what Labour propose to do, but sadly I think they live in cloud cuckoo land as to how most of that will be achieved. Ultimately and proportionately, the whole country will need to be prepared to pay for the improvements from the Barista to the Barrister and I don't think we are as a society there yet.

I can't imagine anyone would disagree with what Labour want to do, financing it is the main issue a lot of people will have.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

B

Just saying.

And how much extra did the 50p band raise when it was put in, or how much did revenue drop when it went from 50 to 45p, or did it actually go up? People will and do adapt.

My industry of Reinsurance most UK companies are part of a wider group that will have domiciled companies in Ireland, Bermuda, The far East, Australasia, The US etc etc. They can divert a lot of that business out of the UK (the part they don't already) with minimal disruption to staff and the business itself, it doesn't need to be in London/UK. Literally overnight I could move 800m of income to Bermuda or the US.

I agree the filthy rich as you put it, the majority won't up sticks. But what they will do is manage their businesses to maintain their status quo/lifestyle/income etc, you are kidding yourself if you believe any different. It's the middle pot in the 80-150k who could do little, although even they I suspect will do some things, whether that's paying more into their own pensions or spouses etc, reduce charitable giving and the like, there are numerous, legitimate ways to do so.

I can hand on heart say that of 150 people in my company that labour would increase the tax rate on, only a handful would actually end up paying anything more, but conversely with things like Uni fee's, many like me would be considerably better off. I knew quite a few who started to look at state schools as they would have had to move out of private - hardly going to help raise money or improve the already over crowded state schools.

Perhaps then we need to lower Corporation Tax and upper levels of income tax further still in order to increase revenue further.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

B

Just saying.

Perhaps then we need to lower Corporation Tax and upper levels of income tax further still in order to increase revenue further.
    Part of the increase tax take when it went from 50 to 45p was income/bonus deferral. But there was a study that showed around 44p was the tipping point, anything greater and you achieve no extra tax take, sometimes the opposite. You then run into spending and how much extra someone would spend that attracts other wider benefits and other taxation like VAT.

Corp tax is a whole other issue, but there is a point I guess where the same happens. Ie low enough and more income comes in to the UK and the tax take is higher. Or put it high enough and you’ll get less overall. As to where that line is I’ve no idea but suspect an actuary in government has calculated it. I doubt very much any politician has come up with the numbers, hopefully in the Labour Manifesto it wasn’t abbot anyway :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It muddles it up a little bit, but I think there should be turnover tax applied to companies in the million + a year range. Say 5-10%. It would stop companies like Facebook and google and Apple being able to get away with paying corporation tax in the few thousands when they make millions from the U.K. every year, whilst simultaneously keeping Corp tax low for smaller businesses.

I also think the Lib Dem idea of merging capital gains and dividends tax (a pointlessly complicated tax) into income tax and shifting up the personal allowance even further. Gives working people a bit of a tax cut whilst also getting a little extra from dividends and capital gains.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    seth plum said:

Not having that. Their industrial action is a total waste of time as the new guardless trains had already been implemented elsewhere on the network. Selfish strikes that have cost businesses millions in lost work hours and have caused untold amounts of grief and stress for anyone who had to commute using one of the affected rail companies, just because some guards couldn't accept that their role was becoming obsolete with the modernisation of the network.

I'm all for protests and strike action where appropriate, but RMT and ASLEF can go fuck themselves.

• Options
    edited September 2018

Just saying.

That isn't it basically - The last manifesto stated that nobody earning above £80k per anum would be worse off and rises above that would be incremental - so you have to be earning a lot for it to really affect you. There are other areas that can bring in revenue such as a bankers tax, putting Corporation tax up to the level it was before the Tories cut it, Taxing big corporations more fairly etc. Money from these areas.

The last Labour manifesto was lauded by many economists and was Keynesian in nature.
    Anybody who has studied Keynes will know that he advocated spending your way out of a recession and paying it back in when the economy is strong. Austerity works counter to Keynesian economics and stifles growth. Of course where you spend the money is important. Keynes advocated quantitative easing, but I don't think he was for giving it to banks to sit on - he favoured making money work so investing it in capital infrastucture projects.

Basically taxation should largely cover paying for services and borrowing should be used to create growth. This of course results in higher revenues and more money for services as well as creating more wealth to pay off deficits. If you stifle growth you end up not being able to pay off what you want to because the economy contracts. That is why Austerity didn't end when it was supposed to - it was simply shrinking the economy.
  • Options

Just saying.

That isn't it basically - The last manifesto stated that nobody earning above £80k per anum would be worse off and rises above that would be incremental - so you have to be earning a lot for it to really affect you. There are other areas that can bring in revenue such as a bankers tax, putting Corporation tax up to the level it was before the Tories cut it, Taxing big corporations more fairly etc. Money from these areas.

The last Labour manifesto was lauded by many economists and was Keynesian in nature.
    Anybody who has studied Keynes will know that he advocated spending your way out of a recession and paying it back in when the economy is strong. Austerity works counter to Keynesian economics and stifles growth. Of course where you spend the money is important. Keynes advocated quantitative easing, but I don't think he was for giving it to banks to sit on - he favoured making money work so investing it in capital infrastucture projects.

Basically taxation should largely cover paying for services and borrowing should be used to create growth. This of course results in higher revenues and more money for services as well as creating more wealth to pay off deficits. If you stifle growth you end up not being able to pay off what you want to because the economy contracts. That is why Austerity didn't end when it was supposed to - it was simply shrinking the economy.
    to summarise labour want to tax more, correct?

and what about these corporations moving to other areas of europe - like a lot already have done?.

nationalising railways - great if it keeps the costs down.
    free uni - dont agree with it, most graduates with a degree in something sensible will at entry level be earning more than a modern apprentice, if everyone goes to uni you will have a lot of graduates looking for jobs and will still have a shortage for more basic/manual jobs.
    improving the nhs - all for it if we keep health tourists out.

also on the point @ShootersHillGuru made i did not say ordinary i said everyday working class - how many on here would be happy to pay more in tax? i know i wouldn't any others?
  • Options

It muddles it up a little bit, but I think there should be turnover tax applied to companies in the million + a year range. Say 5-10%. It would stop companies like Facebook and google and Apple being able to get away with paying corporation tax in the few thousands when they make millions from the U.K. every year, whilst simultaneously keeping Corp tax low for smaller businesses.

I also think the Lib Dem idea of merging capital gains and dividends tax (a pointlessly complicated tax) into income tax and shifting up the personal allowance even further. Gives working people a bit of a tax cut whilst also getting a little extra from dividends and capital gains.

Turnover tax would never work for many companies, a high turnover doesn't necessarily mean a profit. It would push them into loss (or a further loss), many companies can only dream of a 5-10% profit currently. How you'd levy it on only companies like tax avoiding Google I don't know.

I've long been an advocate of upping the personal allowance as the Tories have done since they came back to Government. It's an easy win, the vast majority of people will spend it, a lot on goods with VAT so the tax take remains almost the same but the individual feels much better off and stimulates the wider economy.

• Options
    I think corporations that are British based are more likely to move to other areas across Europe because of Brexit personally.

Not everybody will go to University. It is hard getting the right exam results to get a place.

In terms of paying more tax - some people will never want to pay more tax, but some wealthy people don't have a problem with it if it is fair. If you earn less than £80k, Labour said you will not pay more tax.
  • Options

I think corporations that are British based are more likely to move to other areas across Europe because of Brexit personally.

Not everybody will go to University. It is hard getting the right exam results to get a place.

In terms of paying more tax - some people will never want to pay more tax, but some wealthy people don't have a problem with it if it is fair. If you earn less than £80k, Labour said you will not pay more tax.

Tax avoidance has been going on for decades and is encouraged by complicated tax laws that only multinationals and the rich seem able to exploit. There isn't really an appetite amongst most governments to address this unsurprisingly as those in power often benefit.

• Options
    Croydon said:

seth plum said:

Not having that. Their industrial action is a total waste of time as the new guardless trains had already been implemented elsewhere on the network. Selfish strikes that have cost businesses millions in lost work hours and have caused untold amounts of grief and stress for anyone who had to commute using one of the affected rail companies, just because some guards couldn't accept that their role was becoming obsolete with the modernisation of the network.

I'm all for protests and strike action where appropriate, but RMT and ASLEF can go fuck themselves.

Croydon said:

seth plum said:

I accept what you say, which is why i use the word 'like'. My intention is to highlight the power the ordinary worker actually has, in your case to your utter detriment in a cause you think is wrong.
    I appreciate that the action has an impact. I suspect that the Unions can construct a case, even if it is a weak and poor case, the interesting bit is that even as workers they have power.
    Unless strikes do have an impact what point is there to them?
    There will be very few who 100% agree with any strike for any cause, however strikes in themselves remind me at least that we don't have to live completely in a 'because I say so' society.
    Virgin have just written to me to put my prices up, basically because they say so, if some parts of society can wield power then so can others.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!