Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Who

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 12
    Just seen the prices for those 2 dates at the RAH......around £100 -£120 !!!

I just dug out my ticket for the Teenage Cancer Trust gig from 2012. Roger Daltrey & guests (which inc Kelly Jones from the Sterophonics) - £25. 

Now that was value for money. 
    Yeah, tickets are not cheap this year. I ended up paying £167 for a floor seat, fairly near the front. The next cheapest was £135 but wasn’t anywhere near as good a seat as mine. The upper circle were about £100 so I decided I’d rather pay the extra for a decent seat. 

A lot of money but I honestly can’t believe I’ve got another chance to see them live.
  • Options
    Announced they're playing 2 nights as part of the Teenage Cancer Trust week at the RAH in March with support from Squeeze. Daltrey & Townsend are also appearing on the Sunday, along with Weller, Eddie Vedder, Kelly Jones & Robert Plant.

Tickets go on sale this Friday.
    Scored a ticket for the show on Wednesday 20th. Can't wait.
    Russ - Arriving back from South America on 19th but managed to get a ticket for the 20th. I thought I’d left it too late. See you there for a beer or two.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Announced they're playing 2 nights as part of the Teenage Cancer Trust week at the RAH in March with support from Squeeze. Daltrey & Townsend are also appearing on the Sunday, along with Weller, Eddie Vedder, Kelly Jones & Robert Plant.

Tickets go on sale this Friday.
    Scored a ticket for the show on Wednesday 20th. Can't wait.
    Russ - Arriving back from South America on 19th but managed to get a ticket for the 20th. I thought I’d left it too late. See you there for a beer or two.
    Nice one mate, I’ll speak to you nearer the time and we can meet up.
  • Options
    Genuinely don't get the over adulation for watching the Who live these days. I absolutely love them, have most of their albums, but I was thoroughly bored about an hour in to their Hyde Park gig a few years back.

I guess what I'm saying is that they are not a great watch live these days imo. Probably say the same about Weller too. Especially the part of the show when they all sit on Val Doonigan chairs with their acoustic guitars.
  • Options
    Genuinely don't get the over adulation for watching the Who live these days. I absolutely love them, have most of their albums, but I was thoroughly bored about an hour in to their Hyde Park gig a few years back.

I guess what I'm saying is that they are not a great watch live these days imo. Probably say the same about Weller too. Especially the part of the show when they all sit on Val Doonigan chairs with their acoustic guitars.
    I’m you mean The Hyde Park gig with Weller & Kaiser Chiefs on the bill, I agree. The sound was awful and they weren’t on top form.
  • Options
    The Who can have their off days and I don’t think they were at their best at Hyde Park. But the last two performances I’ve seen them have been great. This is probably their last gig. 
  • Options

I’m you mean The Hyde Park gig with Weller & Kaiser Chiefs on the bill, I agree. The sound was awful and they weren’t on top form.
    Yeah that was the one. When was that btw?

Sad I picked a bad day for them.
  • Options

Yeah that was the one. When was that btw?

Sad I picked a bad day for them.
  • Options
    Interview with Roger Daltrey in today's Times Magazine .. hard to believe he is almost 80 .. in his biography though he says he rarely if ever indulged in drugs and booze, so he is a great example of that rare rock n roller, a sensible man
  • Options
    Who (lol) is bassing and drumming for them nowadays ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Zak Starkey (Ringo’s son) on drums and John Button bass.
  • Options
    Zak Starkey (Ringo’s son) on drums and John Button bass.
    thanks
  • Options
    So, who else went last night?  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I'm going tomorrow. How were they? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Absolutely brilliant.  All forty of them!  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    I can't wait. Also looking forward to Squeeze, never seen them before.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    I hadn't seen them either.  They were brilliant, too.  

It's weird seeing The Who with an electronic drum kit - that takes a bit of getting used to (even though it looks like a "proper" kit, in gold).  They all argued on stage about the set list - apparently none of them knew what the proper set list was going to be.  

Some people say Daltrey's voice is past it.  They're premature. 

For me, the most spectacular bit is at the end of Baba O'Reilly, when the leader of the orchestra gets up and walks, centre stage, to play the violin outro.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

It's weird seeing The Who with an electronic drum kit - that takes a bit of getting used to (even though it looks like a "proper" kit, in gold).  They all argued on stage about the set list - apparently none of them knew what the proper set list was going to be.  

Some people say Daltrey's voice is past it.  They're premature. 

For me, the most spectacular bit is at the end of Baba O'Reilly, when the leader of the orchestra gets up and walks, centre stage, to play the violin outro.  
    Katie Jacoby is the violinist, she's brilliant.
  • Options
    Interview with Roger Daltrey in today's Times Magazine .. hard to believe he is almost 80 .. in his biography though he says he rarely if ever indulged in drugs and booze, so he is a great example of that rare rock n roller, a sensible man
    He once said that real Mods came from Catford. 😎
  • Options
    Which makes me question how often he actually indulged.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @DaveMehmet I returned from my travels today and looking forward to seeing the Who tomorrow. Any plans on where to meet up?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I think that bit should have come with a spoiler alert  😄.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I think that bit should have come with a spoiler alert  😄.
    Not really a spoiler alert as she has done this on previous gigs. 
  • Options
    I recall a Radio 2 interview a very long time ago in the 80s? There was an hour long one with each member, including Moon. I still have them on cassette tape somewhere.

Townsend said that Lambert decided that the band were going to jump on the Mod bandwagon, which pissed him off as he had to cut his quiff and junk is leather jacket.

I guess that they may have got into the culture as time went on?
  • Options
    Explain?
  • Options

Explain? I can't explain...
  • Options
    Explain?
    I have never heard that real Mods come from Catford uttered or written by a sober person and I've read a bit on the subject of Mods.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Explain?
    I have never heard that real Mods come from Catford uttered or written by a sober person and I've read a bit on the subject of Mods.
    But were you alive then and have you ever met any ex mods from Catford or anywhere else come to that? I’m guessing not.
    I can assure you Catford/Lewisham mods were very very high profile indeed particularly at Margate and Hastings.
    A crowd of us around 200 or so would use the numerous gigs in the area as well as at weekends use the El Partido and then up west The Flamingo, The Discotheque, The Marquee, Whisky a Gogo and The Scene…..all in Soho.
    Now I wonder how I know that.😉

See Record Collectors Magazine July 2019…..Roger Daltry Interview.
    Plus he’s said it many a time over the years in various articles and interviews.
  • Options