Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Pedro45 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Strange Kent haven't given him a chance!

See Liam Tegg has returned to Whitstable, I think they will be pretty strong this season, maybe push for the premier league again. 

Any other players moving around?

Whitstable will be strong, the batting in particular with Tegg, Byron Gould, Stuart Drakeley, Sam Denly and his son, Jayden and possibly David Fulton's son, Harry, if he successfully transfers his form to the first team. 

I've heard a few rumours but some haven't been confirmed so will keep my powder dry 'til they have! Suffice to say, a couple of PL clubs appear to have been quite busy and lured players from lower down the Kent League food chain. One former Kent player is believed to be joining a Div 1 side. 
    Oooh, do tell!
    No names because, as I say, I'm not sure that any have been officially announced especially as I get messages from people who aren't necessarily Charlton fans but read this particular thread and then message me asking "where did you hear that from?". A bit like it's rude to ask for credit, it's equally rude to ask me to reveal my sources! In any case, my sources might be wrong!!!

One of the players is returning to the Kent League and is a former Chislehurst & WK colt (though he's not returning to his former PL club) - I'm sure you'll get that one straightaway! Joining the same PL club is a big hitting all rounder from a team a couple of divisions below and who is much better than the level he has been playing at. They have also signed a pro from Adelaide but the not so good news for that club is that they are rumoured to have lost one of, if not the best, all rounders ever to play in the KL. 

An "ambitious" PL club has signed a quick who is keen to continue to play at the top level in order to progress his career from a Div 1 club. Another PL club may have lost one of their promising colts to that same "aspirational" club.

One Div1 club may have lost an exciting young Kent 2s player to another Div 1 club. 

I'm not going to name the former Kent player but let's just say he left First Class cricket under a bit of a cloud though he has, by all accounts, sorted those issues out.  The two biggest clues I can offer is that he has been playing, I believe, club cricket in Somerset for the last couple of years and the club in Div 1 that he might be joining isn't Bickley Park as they have two very good keepers already (although they could probably, admittedly, do with his runs).  
    See above
    Matt Golding from Old Wisonians is the all rounder that has joined Blackhearh in addition to Jas Bassan.
    Those two are turning out to be shrewd signings for Blackheath. Golding has already scored 239 runs at an average of 79.67 with the bat and taken half a dozen wickets with the ball and Jas Bassan has 13 wickets at 11.77
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Strange Kent haven't given him a chance!

See Liam Tegg has returned to Whitstable, I think they will be pretty strong this season, maybe push for the premier league again. 

Any other players moving around?

Whitstable will be strong, the batting in particular with Tegg, Byron Gould, Stuart Drakeley, Sam Denly and his son, Jayden and possibly David Fulton's son, Harry, if he successfully transfers his form to the first team. 

I've heard a few rumours but some haven't been confirmed so will keep my powder dry 'til they have! Suffice to say, a couple of PL clubs appear to have been quite busy and lured players from lower down the Kent League food chain. One former Kent player is believed to be joining a Div 1 side. 
    Oooh, do tell!
    No names because, as I say, I'm not sure that any have been officially announced especially as I get messages from people who aren't necessarily Charlton fans but read this particular thread and then message me asking "where did you hear that from?". A bit like it's rude to ask for credit, it's equally rude to ask me to reveal my sources! In any case, my sources might be wrong!!!

One of the players is returning to the Kent League and is a former Chislehurst & WK colt (though he's not returning to his former PL club) - I'm sure you'll get that one straightaway! Joining the same PL club is a big hitting all rounder from a team a couple of divisions below and who is much better than the level he has been playing at. They have also signed a pro from Adelaide but the not so good news for that club is that they are rumoured to have lost one of, if not the best, all rounders ever to play in the KL. 

An "ambitious" PL club has signed a quick who is keen to continue to play at the top level in order to progress his career from a Div 1 club. Another PL club may have lost one of their promising colts to that same "aspirational" club.

One Div1 club may have lost an exciting young Kent 2s player to another Div 1 club. 

I'm not going to name the former Kent player but let's just say he left First Class cricket under a bit of a cloud though he has, by all accounts, sorted those issues out.  The two biggest clues I can offer is that he has been playing, I believe, club cricket in Somerset for the last couple of years and the club in Div 1 that he might be joining isn't Bickley Park as they have two very good keepers already (although they could probably, admittedly, do with his runs).  
    See above
    Matt Golding from Old Wisonians is the all rounder that has joined Blackhearh in addition to Jas Bassan.
    Those two are turning out to be shrewd signings for Blackheath. Golding has already scored 239 runs at an average of 79.67 with the bat and taken half a dozen wickets with the ball and Jas Bassan has 13 wickets at 11.77
    I umpired the Blackheath game on Saturday, when both played. Jas went for ten off his first two overs then settled down and bowled a very tight second spell (from my end) - he got away with a front foot no ball (his first in a long time apparently!) as the free hit was scoreless. 1-24 off his ten in the end.

Golding bowled his usual slightly short mixture, and picked up (3) wickets as Holmesdale tried to up the scoring rate. He batted at five, and hit some lovely cover drives; more importantly, he played well defensively as 'Heath were in a slight bit of trouble at 90-4 chasing 164. He seems to have fitted in well, although they are still finding out about him a bit; he's a nice breathe of fresh younger air into that team.
  • Options
    Played 3 games in the last 7 days. 2 ducks and 4 in the other innings. Oh how i've missed this game....
  • Options
    These stories are almost giving me the urge to start playing again. OK I lied because my body isn't even capable of allowing me a circuit of the boundary these days let alone play. And in case I chucked all my gear years ago and for some reason I don't think Seb's stuff would fit me!!!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Played 3 games in the last 7 days. 2 ducks and 4 in the other innings. Oh how i've missed this game....
    Dw I've batted three times this year: 0(4); 0(1); 0(2)

And the bowling ain't been much better
    We've won 3 from 3 and are top of the league. It's apparently not on to tell your teammates that i'd rather have lost all 3 and I got some runs :D I'm an excellent captain!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Dw I've batted three times this year: 0(4); 0(1); 0(2)

And the bowling ain't been much better
    I thought you were selected for your Brearley like captaincy and weekly availability rather than for your cricketing skills ?
  • Options

Golding bowled his usual slightly short mixture, and picked up (3) wickets as Holmesdale tried to up the scoring rate. He batted at five, and hit some lovely cover drives; more importantly, he played well defensively as 'Heath were in a slight bit of trouble at 90-4 chasing 164. He seems to have fitted in well, although they are still finding out about him a bit; he's a nice breathe of fresh younger air into that team.
    BH are definitely looking to blood some of the younger academy guys. My son’s  youth teammate (recently turned 16) had an outing for the 1sts on Sunday, along with a 17 yo.

Jas is a nice guy; had a chat with him on Sunday and seems to be enjoying the BH set up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    I see Minster opted to take their defeat to Bexley on Saturday on Hutton some 24 hours later in the Conference Cup:

Hutton 228-9 off 45
    Minster 232-1 off 15.5

Minster's innings included giving a youngster the chance to come in at 3 and he ran a single off 8 balls. Carnage up until that point with Kai Appelby out for 90 off 39 balls (5 fours and 9 sixes) and Ed Moore 132 not out off 48 balls (20 fours and 7 sixes)  

• Options
    I see Minster opted to take their defeat to Bexley on Saturday on Hutton some 24 hours later in the Conference Cup:

Hutton 228-9 off 45
    Minster 232-1 off 15.5

Minster's innings included giving a youngster the chance to come in at 3 and he ran a single off 8 balls. Carnage up until that point with Kai Appelby out for 90 off 39 balls (5 fours and 9 sixes) and Ed Moore 132 not out off 48 balls (20 fours and 7 sixes)  

What is this cup, seen it he last few seasons, I am assume it is just southern leagues that compete? 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

Hutton 228-9 off 45
    Minster 232-1 off 15.5

What is this cup, seen it he last few seasons, I am assume it is just southern leagues that compete? 
    It is indeed made up of clubs from the likes of Kent, Essex, Middlesex, Surrey and Sussex. Back in the 1970s there used to have as many as 250 clubs entered but this year it looks like there are less than 50. If you happened to get a bye in the first round, then five wins will be enough to land the trophy. 
  • Options
    What happened to the Evening Standard Cup ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    What happened to the Evening Standard Cup ? 
    I don't know the answer to that one but it could be that the competition is one and the same and was renamed the Bertie Joel when the Evening Standard stopped sponsoring it. But I might be wrong!
  • Options
    Byron Gould made 7 off 11 balls for Kent 2s today against Middlesex. He will, no doubt, take that out on Bickley tomorrow! Grant Severin of Hayes made 56 not out off 36 balls

• Options
    Our 3rd Xl are short so I’m making up the numbers with my 13 year old son who’s pony in our Mid Essex 11th division clash .
    A bit earlier and fatter than I’d like to be , making my comeback,  after a knee op just over 5 weeks ago but 11th division, seriously,  do they bowl over arm .

• Options
    Our 3rd Xl are short so I’m making up the numbers with my 13 year old son who’s pony in our Mid Essex 11th division clash .
    A bit earlier and fatter than I’d like to be , making my comeback,  after a knee op just over 5 weeks ago but 11th division, seriously,  do they bowl over arm .

It's where all great cricketers go to die. That said. our respective friend, Barry, is still playing cricket and football for the Civil Service at the age of 64.
  • Options
    I gave up the 4th XI captaincy this year and honestly I feel a lot better mentally for it. But next week I take the reins temporarily. Dreading selection!

Today though the lads are at West Malling (I'm at a mate's in Hull). Drivers are short in supply and one guy is shuttling to the station to pick up two of the lads who got a train from Lee to Gravesend. Silly that this is considered Met/West imho though ground shortages are what they are
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is difficult to reconcile what went so wrong for Minster yesterday. For a side that is so blessed with paid talent, chasing 270 to win, they were 139-1 off less than 16 overs with Ed Moore on 77 not out off 37 balls. So, at that point, they had more than 34 overs to get 131 runs with 9 wickets in hand. They ended up 220 all out with more than 16 overs left unused. Shame. 

So that's PL defeats in successive weeks for last season's PL runners up. If that was bad then that's nothing like what has happened to the reigning Champions, Hayes. They have yet to win a match this season and share bottom place with Holmesdale. At the other end of the table Bexley, Lordswood and Tunbridge Wells are all unbeaten. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023

It's where all great cricketers go to die. That said. our respective friend, Barry, is still playing cricket and football for the Civil Service at the age of 64.
    I think you’re right .
    I didn’t offer my services to bowl (didn’t want to hassle stand in skipper who I don’t know )  oppo slapped us around with 215 in their 45 overs with one fella making his first league ton  but I did manage to drop some kid jumping about half an inch and tipping it over the bar , I’d have caught it a year ago in my sleep. Two balls later and an easier one at stomach height I swallowed .
    Wickets tumbled and I was in at 6 with the match already running away first ball opened the blade and ran it down to deep ish gully for none , second ball a friendly slow short hop down the leg side which I helped on its way but with mouth in heart the keeper was there diving full stretch and just dropped it . Third ball and a quickie , I batted outside the crease took a couple of steps down the track and missed the ball and it hit the back pad on the higher part of the knee roll and a muffled appeal …it was straight but would have been a foot or two over the stumps , 5 seconds later our Essex over 70s player umpiring raises his finger ffs 🙄 and that was that I became the shittiest cricketer in the family .Peter Kay my 13 year old son put me to shame with a streaky 5 but lasted 25 mins against some decent bowling , standard was better than some of the teams I’d faced in div. 8 and I’m sure old Chelmsfordians 4ths will win the league .

Eldest son was involved in drama as they needed 6 off the last over with him in at no.10 and thankfully no.11 cracked a 4 with 3 needed off 2 balls , a tetchy match against Raleigh 

so our current family 🔫 cricketer table is 
    1. Boffin
    2.Peter Kay 
    3. Little shit (harshly moved down from no.1 after a midweek hatrick )
    4.mrs (doesn’t play)
    5. petrol head (doesn’t play)
    6. Me fucking pathetic 

As they say, form is temporary but class is permanent and I'm sure that you'll be moving up that table soon enough. Providing the Mrs and petrol head don't start to play that is. 

In reality, you are probably just "undercooked". You've come back from a knee op, probably don't have the time (or possibly inclination as few of us tend to once we reach a certain age) to net and have been called in at the last minute. That's the beauty of the game though. Next week you'll hit an unbeaten 50 to win the game and the likes of Boffin, Peter Kay and Little Shit will have to pay homage to your feat.  
  • Options
    It is difficult to reconcile what went so wrong for Minster yesterday. For a side that is so blessed with paid talent, chasing 270 to win, they were 139-1 off less than 16 overs with Ed Moore on 77 not out off 37 balls. So, at that point, they had more than 34 overs to get 131 runs with 9 wickets in hand. They ended up 220 all out with more than 16 overs left unused. Shame. 

So that's PL defeats in successive weeks for last season's PL runners up. If that was bad then that's nothing like what has happened to the reigning Champions, Hayes. They have yet to win a match this season and share bottom place with Holmesdale. At the other end of the table Bexley, Lordswood and Tunbridge Wells are all unbeaten. 
    I did the Hayes game yesterday.  They lost the toss and due to injuries were going to be very reliant on their top four. They got to 60-2, after an LBW and stupid run out, but then a triple wicket maiden followed by a wicket in the next over took out their heart. Despite a scratchy determined 60 from Alex Blake, and a partnership that doubled the score, they subsided to 140 all out. Blake was the 9th wicket down.

Sandwich played sensibly and lost Zac Fagg to a remarkable caught and bowled, but hit bad balls away, only losing one more wicket in chasing down the score. Hayes heads were very low throughout. Game over by 5pm!

McVicar would have made a massive difference but without him and Couldrey, they will struggle,  despite the immense-ness of Blake.
  • Options
    Making another appearance in division 11 with Peter Kay today . I’ve said I’ll hang ‘em up if he outscores me , although having been on the lash the last two days at Lord’s I’m not in the greatest state and I’ve got to take little shit football training at 8.30 ffs so can’t even sleep it off and obviously I’ve already got the wrong sort of runs this early on as per usual.
  • Options
    What’s the best site for live scores for club cricket? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Play cricket. Insert name of Club on home page and away you go
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Play cricket. Insert name of Club on home page and away you go
    Thanks 
  • Options

I think you’re right .
    I didn’t offer my services to bowl (didn’t want to hassle stand in skipper who I don’t know )  oppo slapped us around with 215 in their 45 overs with one fella making his first league ton  but I did manage to drop some kid jumping about half an inch and tipping it over the bar , I’d have caught it a year ago in my sleep. Two balls later and an easier one at stomach height I swallowed .
    Wickets tumbled and I was in at 6 with the match already running away first ball opened the blade and ran it down to deep ish gully for none , second ball a friendly slow short hop down the leg side which I helped on its way but with mouth in heart the keeper was there diving full stretch and just dropped it . Third ball and a quickie , I batted outside the crease took a couple of steps down the track and missed the ball and it hit the back pad on the higher part of the knee roll and a muffled appeal …it was straight but would have been a foot or two over the stumps , 5 seconds later our Essex over 70s player umpiring raises his finger ffs 🙄 and that was that I became the shittiest cricketer in the family .Peter Kay my 13 year old son put me to shame with a streaky 5 but lasted 25 mins against some decent bowling , standard was better than some of the teams I’d faced in div. 8 and I’m sure old Chelmsfordians 4ths will win the league .

Eldest son was involved in drama as they needed 6 off the last over with him in at no.10 and thankfully no.11 cracked a 4 with 3 needed off 2 balls , a tetchy match against Raleigh 

so our current family 🔫 cricketer table is 
    1. Boffin
    2.Peter Kay 
    3. Little shit (harshly moved down from no.1 after a midweek hatrick )
    4.mrs (doesn’t play)
    5. petrol head (doesn’t play)
    6. Me fucking pathetic 

As they say, form is temporary but class is permanent and I'm sure that you'll be moving up that table soon enough. Providing the Mrs and petrol head don't start to play that is. 

In reality, you are probably just "undercooked". You've come back from a knee op, probably don't have the time (or possibly inclination as few of us tend to once we reach a certain age) to net and have been called in at the last minute. That's the beauty of the game though. Next week you'll hit an unbeaten 50 to win the game and the likes of Boffin, Peter Kay and Little Shit will have to pay homage to your feat.  
    TBH, I'm not sure that's a likely outcome.

Oohaah - Would you consider adoption ?  B)