Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• And according to this article in The Cricketer he wants to play for England. He was a sub fielder for Australia, born and brought up in Sydney and plays for NSW. I'm sure that the Australian selectors are watching with interest!

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/yorkshire/yorkshire_australian_seamer_mickey_edwards_18_month_deal.html
    He is quick, was probably as quick as David Moody (Beckenham and Renegades). I gave him the lbw when he bowled against his brother!
  • Strange Kent haven't given him a chance!

See Liam Tegg has returned to Whitstable, I think they will be pretty strong this season, maybe push for the premier league again. 

Any other players moving around?
  • edited February 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Strange Kent haven't given him a chance!

See Liam Tegg has returned to Whitstable, I think they will be pretty strong this season, maybe push for the premier league again. 

Whitstable will be strong, the batting in particular with Tegg, Byron Gould, Stuart Drakeley, Sam Denly and his son, Jayden and possibly David Fulton's son, Harry, if he successfully transfers his form to the first team. 

I've heard a few rumours but some haven't been confirmed so will keep my powder dry 'til they have! Suffice to say, a couple of PL clubs appear to have been quite busy and lured players from lower down the Kent League food chain. One former Kent player is believed to be joining a Div 1 side. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Whitstable will be strong, the batting in particular with Tegg, Byron Gould, Stuart Drakeley, Sam Denly and his son, Jayden and possibly David Fulton's son, Harry, if he successfully transfers his form to the first team. 

I've heard a few rumours but some haven't been confirmed so will keep my powder dry 'til they have! Suffice to say, a couple of PL clubs appear to have been quite busy and lured players from lower down the Kent League food chain. One former Kent player is believed to be joining a Div 1 side. 
    Oooh, do tell!
  • Pedro45 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Oooh, do tell!
    No names because, as I say, I'm not sure that any have been officially announced especially as I get messages from people who aren't necessarily Charlton fans but read this particular thread and then message me asking "where did you hear that from?". A bit like it's rude to ask for credit, it's equally rude to ask me to reveal my sources! In any case, my sources might be wrong!!!

One of the players is returning to the Kent League and is a former Chislehurst & WK colt (though he's not returning to his former PL club) - I'm sure you'll get that one straightaway! Joining the same PL club is a big hitting all rounder from a team a couple of divisions below and who is much better than the level he has been playing at. They have also signed a pro from Adelaide but the not so good news for that club is that they are rumoured to have lost one of, if not the best, all rounders ever to play in the KL. 

An "ambitious" PL club has signed a quick who is keen to continue to play at the top level in order to progress his career from a Div 1 club. Another PL club may have lost one of their promising colts to that same "aspirational" club.

One Div1 club may have lost an exciting young Kent 2s player to another Div 1 club. 

I'm not going to name the former Kent player but let's just say he left First Class cricket under a bit of a cloud though he has, by all accounts, sorted those issues out.  The two biggest clues I can offer is that he has been playing, I believe, club cricket in Somerset for the last couple of years and the club in Div 1 that he might be joining isn't Bickley Park as they have two very good keepers already (although they could probably, admittedly, do with his runs).  
  • Pedro45 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Oooh, do tell!
    No names because, as I say, I'm not sure that any have been officially announced especially as I get messages from people who aren't necessarily Charlton fans but read this particular thread and then message me asking "where did you hear that from?". A bit like it's rude to ask for credit, it's equally rude to ask me to reveal my sources! In any case, my sources might be wrong!!!

One of the players is returning to the Kent League and is a former Chislehurst & WK colt (though he's not returning to his former PL club) - I'm sure you'll get that one straightaway! Joining the same PL club is a big hitting all rounder from a team a couple of divisions below and who is much better than the level he has been playing at. They have also signed a pro from Adelaide but the not so good news for that club is that they are rumoured to have lost one of, if not the best, all rounders ever to play in the KL. 

An "ambitious" PL club has signed a quick who is keen to continue to play at the top level in order to progress his career from a Div 1 club. Another PL club may have lost one of their promising colts to that same "aspirational" club.

One Div1 club may have lost an exciting young Kent 2s player to another Div 1 club. 

I'm not going to name the former Kent player but let's just say he left First Class cricket under a bit of a cloud though he has, by all accounts, sorted those issues out.  The two biggest clues I can offer is that he has been playing, I believe, club cricket in Somerset for the last couple of years and the club in Div 1 that he might be joining isn't Bickley Park as they have two very good keepers already (although they could probably, admittedly, do with his runs).  
    Gosh, you are such a tease! Thanks for sharing what you can. I haven't been to CWKCC nets this winter so hadn't caught up on that piece of news. Good to have him back in our league! It will all be revealed in time no doubt and I hope some of my favourite players are still around for me to upset...
  • By the way, how many games do you think Sam Billings will play for Gravesend this season?
  • Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Oooh, do tell!

Gosh, you are such a tease! Thanks for sharing what you can. I haven't been to CWKCC nets this winter so hadn't caught up on that piece of news. Good to have him back in our league! It will all be revealed in time no doubt and I hope some of my favourite players are still around for me to upset...
    Apologies and although I believe that these are all happening,  until the registration of these guys are actually transferred they are just rumours - there have been numerous occasions where "so and so is joining x club" only for that person to change their mind! 
  • Pedro45 said:
    By the way, how many games do you think Sam Billings will play for Gravesend this season?
    I'm not sure that he will play any apart from maybe an "exhibition" appearance in say a cricket week match. The County calendar is full enough and it is only really players who are either out of form, in the 2s or ones who don't play in all disciplines that turn out in club cricket. Billings is highly unlikely to be dropped and with the CC, Blast, Hundred and possibly even an England call up, where would he fit it in. Equally, what has he got to gain by playing in the 3rd tier of the KCL on a pitch that almost certainly won't be of the quality of a county one? If he gets runs then it would hardly be the right prep for facing county opposition and if he doesn't then it would hardly be a confidence booster. Can you imagine the send offs he would get by some bowlers!

• Pedro45 said:
    By the way, how many games do you think Sam Billings will play for Gravesend this season?
    Zero or one, and it ain't one
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:
    Unless rules have changed he wouldn't be allowed to play 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Yes, I think they will be strong, but interesting if they bring a quick overseas bowler this year. Henry Goss is the player to look out for a Whitstable. 

They are in a good shape as a club.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Yes, I think they will be strong, but interesting if they bring a quick overseas bowler this year. Henry Goss (big charlton supporting family) is the player to look out for a Whitstable. 

They are in a good shape as a club.

• For those of you wanting to watch live cricket, the European Cricket League has started down at the Cartama Oval, Malaga again . Remember Tunbridge Wells and the Vienna Cricket Tigers last year? It's the same website as last year if you are interested. The games seem to have started a week ago, and at the moment, Hornchurch, the English representatives, are being hit all round the ground by Darmstadt (117 for 2 after 8 overs).

The Austrian Cricket Tigers will not be there this year, unfortunately. They are probably still recovering from the shock finish to last year's Austrian league, when they could only tie their final match against the Afghan Steiermark CC down in Graz. This is, of course, the cricket equivalent of visiting Millwall, but even so, they were expected to win. This left three teams equal on points at the top, with Donaustadt winning on run rate ahead of VCT and the Vienna CC.

Austria will be represented in the ECL by the Vienna CC. They start next week, against Forfarshire, the Scottish representatives.
  • Pedro45 said:
    Got my KCL appointments for the first ten weeks last night, and very happy to be standing in six Premiership games, two Championship, and one Division 1 game (where I'm baby-sitting a new umpire the first week of the season). I miss one game due to my wife's birthday... I will be at a couple of new grounds for me - Lordswood and Tunbridge Wells (previously doing 8 overs at square leg in the T20 final doesn't really count!) and plenty of familiar ones - Blackheath (x2), Hayes, Holmesdale, Bickley Park, Dartford, and Gravesend.
    There could not be a bigger contrast between Lordswood and Tunbridge Wells. It took me a second take to remember that the Championship is the old Division 1. Look forward to catching up with you at the Bickley game. 
  • Bassan to Blackheath 
  • Pedro45 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Oooh, do tell!

See above
  • That means Tanwar has gone which is a real shame, although his body was failing him a little.
  • Pedro45 said:
    That means Tanwar has gone which is a real shame, although his body was failing him a little.
    That is the rumour. I don't know whether he has retired or left to go to another club. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:
    That means Tanwar has gone which is a real shame, although his body was failing him a little.
    That is the rumour. I don't know whether he has retired or left to go to another club. 

Shame... he's a really nice guy and never gave me any trouble at all.
  • Pedro45 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Oooh, do tell!

See above
    Matt Golding from Old Wisonians is the all rounder that has joined Blackhearh in addition to Jas Bassan.
  • Many on here will know or know of Andrew Tutt, a big Charlton fan and who was a big part of Hartley and their success in the KPL. Tutty was one of the main people responsible for the KCL reducing the number of overs a bowler can bowl because, especially in his early days at RACS, he regularly used to bowl all 25 from one end at less than two an over!

Tutty is in his 50s now but is back playing for Hartley, having been out through injury for a number of years. Against Stonehouse CC on Saturday in Division 6A of the Kent Village League, he returned quite remarkable figures of 8-8-0-7, taking out the opposition's top seven and reducing them to 11-7!!!!

If you happen to be reading this Tutty, congratulations! For those that are interested, here is the link to the card:

https://hartley.play-cricket.com/website/results/4995359
    Coached me as a kid at Bexley.
  • Many on here will know or know of Andrew Tutt, a big Charlton fan and who was a big part of Hartley and their success in the KPL. Tutty was one of the main people responsible for the KCL reducing the number of overs a bowler can bowl because, especially in his early days at RACS, he regularly used to bowl all 25 from one end at less than two an over!

Tutty is in his 50s now but is back playing for Hartley, having been out through injury for a number of years. Against Stonehouse CC on Saturday in Division 6A of the Kent Village League, he returned quite remarkable figures of 8-8-0-7, taking out the opposition's top seven and reducing them to 11-7!!!!

If you happen to be reading this Tutty, congratulations! For those that are interested, here is the link to the card:

https://hartley.play-cricket.com/website/results/4995359
    Coached me as a kid at Bexley.
    That remains the most incredible bowling spell in a club cricket I have ever seen bearing in mind that Tutty took 7 wickets for no runs off the maximum number of overs allowed, that were the first 7 wickets to fall too. Who is to say that he wouldn't have taken all 9 (the number 11 was absent) for zero had he been allowed to carry on bowling? 
  • Pedro45 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Oooh, do tell!

See above
    Matt Golding from Old Wisonians is the all rounder that has joined Blackhearh in addition to Jas Bassan.
    That's interesting. I wondered who you meant and did consider him.  He can bat and bowl, but is he Prem standard?  Be interesting to see and Blackheath's batting can be flakey at times, and without Tanny, who knows! OW will struggle now I think, as they have relied on Golding for a number of seasons, and unless they get a good overseas who can bat and bowl, they don't have enough fire-power IMO to bounce back. 
  • Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Oooh, do tell!

See above
    That's interesting. I wondered who you meant and did consider him.  He can bat and bowl, but is he Prem standard?  Be interesting to see and Blackheath's batting can be flakey at times, and without Tanny, who knows! OW will struggle now I think, as they have relied on Golding for a number of seasons, and unless they get a good overseas who can bat and bowl, they don't have enough fire-power IMO to bounce back. 
    Golding has been playing for Devon and was I believe a prominent member of the Devon and Somerset age group sides with the Overton brothers. If ever one wanted an example of how players do not turn out as one might expect then one only has to look at the Devon v Cornwall U14 scorecard below. Craig Overton batted at 3, Jamie kept wicket and Matt Golding batted at 9!!!

https://www.play-cricket.com/website/results/1054852

Whether Golding is good enough to do the business in the KPL will have to be seen but anyone who averages 75.08 with the bat and takes 32 wickets with the ball in Div 1 probably deserves the opportunity. 

Blackheath also have, I believe, an overseas batsman from Adelaide coming so that should help their batting line up. George Wells is back in the fold, they signed Richardson last season who came through the Surrey age group system and has been playing minor counties as their bat/keeper and with Golding and the overseas then they have four of their top six sorted. One suspects that two from Dipyan Paul, Jack Hersch and Mahi Mahfuzil will make up the balance of the top order. 
  • I will be really interested to see how the new league structure plays out . Would imagine it will take a few seasons for the sides to get to their correct levels. Wonder if we will now see multiple overseas at clubs now the 2's are mixed in with other sides 1's ?
  • I will be really interested to see how the new league structure plays out . Would imagine it will take a few seasons for the sides to get to their correct levels. Wonder if we will now see multiple overseas at clubs now the 2's are mixed in with other sides 1's ?
    The system will definitely, whether it is right or wrong, favour the bigger clubs - some of these already have overseas in their top two sides - and you could see a situation eventually where a Bexley, Tunbridge Wells or the Vine have a side in each of the top two divisions. That, in turn, night make those clubs more attractive to players from other teams as playing in the 2nd team does not equate, as it did before, to playing in what used to be, effectively, the 7th tier of the KL.  
  • It will take a couple of years (as it did back in the early 2000's when last revamped, but there are clubs who naturally do well, or badly, depending on player movement/talent available (see Minster and/or Hartley...) that it probably won't be hugely more noticeable.

Yes, some clubs will have teams in the top two divisions, but if they are good enough, why not?
  • Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Oooh, do tell!

See above

Now hearing that Tanweer is staying in which case, with the additions of Golding and Bassan, they will be pretty strong.