Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    When does the league start ? 
  • Options
    When does the league start ? 
    Saturday week for most divisions but there has been the odd game lower down already. 
  • Options
    Minster have signed Laurie Evans for the KCL season,  when he's not playing for Surrey or in the Hundred.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Minster have signed Laurie Evans for the KCL season,  when he's not playing for Surrey or in the Hundred.
    Seb had heard that rumour because someone showed him the other day Evans wearing a Minster cap. I'm sure that we would all like to wish Minster and Laurie Evans the very best of success.
  • Options
    New ground for me tomorrow....Long Marston CC near Tring/Bletchley. 

And with a bit of luck, another new one for me on Wednesday at Diss CC, Norfolk. 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Seb had heard that rumour because someone showed him the other day Evans wearing a Minster cap. I'm sure that we would all like to wish Minster and Laurie Evans the very best of success.
    This was the picture Seb saw the other day. If the cap fits.

• Options
    I mentioned previously that Minster had been recruiting other additions but didn't name them at the time because I wanted to wait for confirmation.

One is Max Luckett from Bickley Park who is was in the same Kent age group side as Seb and who has played quite a lot of Kent 2s as well as a game for Derbyshire 2s last season (he is at Loughborough Uni) and the other is a very promising 16 year old Akhil Venugopalan who has come from Bexley - he is in the Kent Emerging Players Programme and played in the Bunbury Festival last season.  

Presumably the South African A player, Ed Moore, is returning for what would be his third season there and they will also have the likes of James Thompson, Dan and David Masters, Joe Parry, Chris Piesley, Kai Appelby, Sean Irvine, Greg Lamb and that's without the possibility that Aron Nijjar of Essex coming back for another season although it is quite possible that Laurie Evans has been recruited to replace him. That's 13 players who has all played at least county 2s standard though one suspects that David Masters might drop down to the 2s to mentor his sons.  
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    A rather familiar player was batting at 4 for Bromley 3s yesterday. He also returned rather decent bowling figures of 6-1-16-2
    -
    https://bromley.play-cricket.com/website/results/5841935
  • Options
    A rather familiar player was batting at 4 for Bromley 3s yesterday. He also returned rather decent bowling figures of 6-1-16-2
    -
    https://bromley.play-cricket.com/website/results/5841935
    Played for their 2nd team on Saturday as well. Busy boy!
  • Options
    I mentioned previously that Minster had been recruiting other additions but didn't name them at the time because I wanted to wait for confirmation.

One is Max Luckett from Bickley Park who is was in the same Kent age group side as Seb and who has played quite a lot of Kent 2s as well as a game for Derbyshire 2s last season (he is at Loughborough Uni) and the other is a very promising 16 year old Akhil Venugopalan who has come from Bexley - he is in the Kent Emerging Players Programme and played in the Bunbury Festival last season.  

Presumably the South African A player, Ed Moore, is returning for what would be his third season there and they will also have the likes of James Thompson, Dan and David Masters, Joe Parry, Chris Piesley, Kai Appelby, Sean Irvine, Greg Lamb and that's without the possibility that Aron Nijjar of Essex coming back for another season although it is quite possible that Laurie Evans has been recruited to replace him. That's 13 players who has all played at least county 2s standard though one suspects that David Masters might drop down to the 2s to mentor his sons.  
    I think David is skippering the 2s this year 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I believe that Shaun Piesley is joining his brother to keep for Minster too
  • Options
    Warren Lee is now at the Vine. Probably the very type of bowler that they have been lacking. 
  • Options
    See James Hockley is at Minister as well
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    See James Hockley is at Minister as well
    That is unbelievable. So they now have two of probably the four best all rounders the Kent League has ever had (James Thompson being the other one) as well as any number of current and ex pros and county 2s players. With not one of their first team having come through their colts system. 

Their team for tomorrow:

Chris Piesley (ex Kent 2s & MCC YC)
    Shaun Piesley (ex Kent 2s & Surrey 2s)
    Laurie Evans (current Surrey 1s)
    Akhil Venugopalan (current Kent Academy)
    James Thompson (ex Kent 2s)
    Kai Appelby (ex Kent 2s)
    Billy Prideaux (current Essex 2s)
    Joe Parry (ex Essex 2s & Kent 2s)
    James Hockley (ex Kent 1s)
    Max Luckett (current Kent 2s)
    Dan Masters (ex Kent 2s)

The likes of David Masters (ex Kent 1s and Surrey 1s) and Greg Lamb (ex Zimbabwe and Hampshire) are in their 2s. The sort of money and benefits that one hears are being handed out to players going there is, frankly, ridiculous. Difficult to blame the players for this but this is meant to be an amateur game. 
  • Options
    Akhil captains my son’s District age group side (not that he’ll probably play too many matches this year).   We’re with Blackheath so l’ll prob head to Rectory to watch some of the Minster match tomorrow (weather permitting).
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Akhil captains my son’s District age group side (not that he’ll probably play too many matches this year).   We’re with Blackheath so l’ll prob head to Rectory to watch some of the Minster match tomorrow (weather permitting).
    I was colts secretary when Akhil came to Bexley and have known him since he was eight or nine years old - I originally saw him on a Sunday morning about seven or eight years ago at Avery Hill nets when he was being coached by his Dad, Venu. You could tell straightaway that he was going to be good - during the session he would do a drill where you have to kneel on one knee and bowl and he would land almost all of his deliveries on the spot. He's left Bexley to play first team Kent Prem cricket this season which I understand Minster have promised him. My son is one of the Bexley District coaches too but, as you say, with Kent, school and club commitments it is very unlikely that Akhil will play many, if any, District games. 
  • Options
    My son was at EC junior school with Akhil. Every time we went to the school nets  he was there with his Dad. Akhil got a pretty decent hundred against my son’s G&L U16 side last year. Classy player and friendly chap.

What’s your son’s name? My son (now with Bexley District) was being coached by Liam C before he left for Brazil.
  • Options
    My son was at EC junior school with Akhil. Every time we went to the school nets  he was there with his Dad. Akhil got a pretty decent hundred against my son’s G&L U16 side last year. Classy player and friendly chap.

What’s your son’s name? My son (now with Bexley District) was being coached by Liam C before he left for Brazil.
    My son's name is Seb. Last two winters he's been playing in Australia but worked with Liam as well as David H, Dan C, Ben S, Dan B and Matt S for Top Cricket academy during our summer - he works at Colfes School, OEs CC, Beckenham CC as well as the odd stint at the club he plays at (Bickley CC) and also managed and coached one of G & L's teams during their round robin tournament. He covers some of the Top summer courses up at Sidcup CC too. It all goes to pay towards his stints in Australia.   
  • Options
    Unfortunately, unless you happened to be due to be playing at the bottom end of the County, there were very few matches completed in the KCL.

The only Prem game - Sandwich v Holmesdale - had a dramatic finish. Sandwich, with Grant Stewart (batted at 7 for half a dozen but didn't bowl) in their ranks, posted 270. In reply, Holmesdale were always in the hunt thanks to a stand of 155 between Will Harby (72) and NZ overseas Leo Carter who was still at the crease with 4 needed off the final ball of the match. Carter managed just 2 so Sandwich won by just a single run and he ended up 134 not out.

In the newly named second tier, The Championship, two games took place.

Whitstable hosted Bromley with the visitors, having been inserted, making 247 thanks in the main to 91 from Richard Selvey-Clinton. Whitstable chased the target down with 8 overs to spare chiefly due to the efforts of hard hitting Byron Gould who finished on 125 not out off 109 balls.

I was with Bickley Park at Canterbury who were asked to bat by the hosts. A bad start at 7-2 and 39-3 was rectified over time with Bickley reaching 220-9 off their 50 overs. Canterbury were never out of it but ended up 22 runs short. In hindsight, one or two of the Canterbury batsmen will probably regret the shots they got out to given that there were still half a dozen overs to go when their innings was ended. That said, it was a slow, sticky wicket where it was possible to score runs but equally easy to get out as reflected by the fact that no less than 13 players in the game reached 17 but no one posted more than 42. Lessons to be learned all round, including by Seb who gave it up having reached 25. though his next job at hand (literally) is to get his somewhat swollen thumb sorted, an injury resulting from a drop diving at backward point. A sad irony is that this occurred six years to the day that he broke that very thumb!!! Here's hoping that history hasn't repeated itself. 
  • Options
    I got wet at Gravesend. We finally got the covers off after two and started a 27 over game. It then rained an hour later, and with DLS in play one team were never going to be happy. We just about got started on a reduced 40 over match and finished the first inning as the rain returned. With no further delay allowance available we couldn't put the covers on and after ten minutes between innings it was just too wet. We got a lot of stick for calling it off from Harvel but it was not safe or fair. Gravesend were not happy with the DLS calculator (which upped the target score by just 11 runs..) but failed to provide anyone from their side to verify the calculation (which is not the umpire's responsibility!). 

Game ruined by the weather....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Question - if you are paying players to pay for your club - do you have to pay them even if the game is called off before a ball is bowled or is it done on a match fee basis ? 
  • Options
    Question - if you are paying players to pay for your club - do you have to pay them even if the game is called off before a ball is bowled or is it done on a match fee basis ? 
    I suspect that those clubs who only pay on performance the answer has to be "no". Not a clue what happens to those that are being paid in some Leagues anything from £750 upwards a game although one would imagine that the accompanying car and petrol card come in handy for those cancelled fixtures. 
  • Options
    Ordered a bat from Newbery 10 days ago - have had no correspondence whatsoever, no replies to emails or messages on Twitter, I’ve also called about 70 times over the week. You’d like to think you’d be able to speak to somebody after spending £600 on a bat. Wankers.
  • Options
    In my experience the best way to obtain a Newbery is to hang around at a club with terrible cheap equipment for so long that someone takes pity on you and gives you their old one 
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    Ordered a bat from Newbery 10 days ago - have had no correspondence whatsoever, no replies to emails or messages on Twitter, I’ve also called about 70 times over the week. You’d like to think you’d be able to speak to somebody after spending £600 on a bat. Wankers.
    By the time they get it to you and you knock it in season will be half over 
  • Options
    arny23394 said:

That's incredibly bad customer service but wouldn't you want to pick up a bat first before buying it ? I expect you have given specifications but every bat is different surely..I have picked 50 bats in the past and not been comfortable with any .Hope it all works out for you 

• Options
    Addick Addict said:
    billysboots said:
    I suspect that those clubs who only pay on performance the answer has to be "no". Not a clue what happens to those that are being paid in some Leagues anything from £750 upwards a game although one would imagine that the accompanying car and petrol card come in handy for those cancelled fixtures. 

The world's gone crazy 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    In my experience the best way to obtain a Newbery is to hang around at a club with terrible cheap equipment for so long that someone takes pity on you and gives you their old one 
    Someone like a fellow Addick, you mean?
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:
    Someone like a fellow Addick, you mean?
    The most worshipful of companies 
  • Options
    Unfortunately, unless you happened to be due to be playing at the bottom end of the County, there were very few matches completed in the KCL.

The only Prem game - Sandwich v Holmesdale - had a dramatic finish. Sandwich, with Grant Stewart (batted at 7 for half a dozen but didn't bowl) in their ranks, posted 270. In reply, Holmesdale were always in the hunt thanks to a stand of 155 between Will Harby (72) and NZ overseas Leo Carter who was still at the crease with 4 needed off the final ball of the match. Carter managed just 2 so Sandwich won by just a single run and he ended up 134 not out.

In the newly named second tier, The Championship, two games took place.

Whitstable hosted Bromley with the visitors, having been inserted, making 247 thanks in the main to 91 from Richard Selvey-Clinton. Whitstable chased the target down with 8 overs to spare chiefly due to the efforts of hard hitting Byron Gould who finished on 125 not out off 109 balls.

I was with Bickley Park at Canterbury who were asked to bat by the hosts. A bad start at 7-2 and 39-3 was rectified over time with Bickley reaching 220-9 off their 50 overs. Canterbury were never out of it but ended up 22 runs short. In hindsight, one or two of the Canterbury batsmen will probably regret the shots they got out to given that there were still half a dozen overs to go when their innings was ended. That said, it was a slow, sticky wicket where it was possible to score runs but equally easy to get out as reflected by the fact that no less than 13 players in the game reached 17 but no one posted more than 42. Lessons to be learned all round, including by Seb who gave it up having reached 25. though his next job at hand (literally) is to get his somewhat swollen thumb sorted, an injury resulting from a drop diving at backward point. A sad irony is that this occurred six years to the day that he broke that very thumb!!! Here's hoping that history hasn't repeated itself. 
    An X ray has confirmed  that "biscuit thumbs" has broken one of them for the third time. How many weeks he is out for will be a delegate negotiation between his desire to get back playing and what damage he might do by coming back too soon. The lad hasn't had much luck in the last six months. He was concussed three times in Australia, once when pinned by a bouncer in the nets that hit him in the grill, another when hit at short leg courtesy of a long hop from a spinner and a third one as a result of walking into a lamp post (he wasn't under the influence but walking along with his head down, having just had his haircut!). As disappointing as this is, life goes on and we will be there on Saturday to support the 1s in their match against Linden Park.