Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Options
    i think hes had players lined up - crusty has said no and now hes just saying what he can to keep the pressure off, when you look at league 1 this year it wouldnt be that hard to get out of it, you could quite easily do it and not even spend that much ( just need to spend it correctly ) - is karl robinson the man for that no i dont think he is and his constant drivel does my head in.
  • Options
    I have a Charlton garden gnome he can sit on the far post for an undisclosed fee.
  • Options
    This clueless bunch of cnuts have no chance of signing a team for promotion...

(Repeat that to yourselves 500 times whilst rocking back and forward in your chair)

Feel better?
  • Options

Losing out on potential transfer targets to Bristol rovers, this bodes well.

But there's no proof we actually wanted these players in the first place, Robinson won't say publicly, so the rest is guess work and conjecture, as our cardigan wearing friend says WIOTOS
  • Options

I don't know why he's going on about deals not being 100% right for us. It never normally matters.

Very true :smile: but why does he even talk about them if he's not 100% sure that they're right for us ?
  • Options

I don't know why he's going on about deals not being 100% right for us. It never normally matters.

Very true :smile: but why does he even talk about them if he's not 100% sure that they're right for us ?
    because he can't help himself, he just likes the sound of his own voice. Feel sorry for his missus.

• Options
    edited May 2017

Players being identified here are also without doubt on other teams radars. I really have no confidence that we will persuede in demand players to sign for us over any Championship club and at least 8 or so League One teams. Players and agents know we are a basket case and will look to better prospects elsewhere.

Until Duchatelet sells we are set in aspic.

Disagree, certainly when it comes to L1 clubs

Against most L1 clubs, unless someone wants to stay up north, we'll be far more attractive (apart from perhaps Bradford). Players will see the better wages, ground and training facilities. I don't think players care about the off field stuff that much anyway

As for Championship clubs, well that would apply in most cases whoever our owner was.
    Yeah right, that's why the mighty Bristol Rovers have beaten us to the Oxford player, Harry Seegoon!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I doubt any of us actually know whether we have or not?

But the point being, I don't think we're an attractive club who can beat off the majority of league 1 teams because of all the shite going on at the club.

I find it hard to believe why anyone would want to join us!
  • Options
    Where are the transfer rumours?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    redbuttle said:

Where are the transfer rumours?

Good question

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15319601.Who_is_Charlton_transfer_target_Marcus_Maddison__What_you_need_to_know_about_the_Peterborough_midfielder/

"What is the likelihood of Maddison playing at the Valley next season?

Maddison is attracting interest from Bolton and Sheffield United – both clubs will play in the Championship next season. That is an immediate disadvantage for the Addicks.

But News Shopper understands that if the Championship interest cools down, and Maddison stays in League One, then the Valley would be his preferred destination.

So it all depends on the offers he receives from clubs in England’s second tier."
  • Options
    If we were a well run football club we would be 1st or 2nd choice for most players in league one.
    As we are run by clowns I really don't think we have anymore pulling power than half the teams in this league.
    Over the next couple of weeks I expect to see several of our targets signed by other clubs leaving us scratching around at the end of June to put together a squad to take to Ireland for pre season.
    Then we will sign a couple of hasbeans that nobody wants plus a couple of kids on loan.
    Nothing changes with Roland and squirrel running the joint I'm afraid.
  • Options

I still believe that shifting the "legacy" players such as Sarr, Watt, Cebellos, Igor, Tex and maybe Kashi are key to the business we do this summer.

Robinson has had a whinge about the players on £12k (tex) and two others on £8m (possibly Sarr and Kashi) and more recently, when Chicksen was released, about not enough players being out of contract ie he can't get the high earners off the wage bill in the way the Powell could with Semedo and Racon as those two were out of contract.

Airman has written about a £3m bill for the legacy players and the club statement when the last accounts were released spoke of never allowing the same level of losses again.

To me this all means that they are cutting back costs and that KR's budget is reliant on what can be freed up from the legacy players. A rumour was that KR was unhappy with his budget but that was a rumour and most if not all managers always want more than they get.

Add to that the "basket case" (Karl Robinson 2016) nature of the club and its failure to challenge last season and it's not a surprise players and agents are looking at other options where as maybe before Charlton were seen as a big fish in a small pond who paid relatively well and where you could expect to be part of a winning side most weeks.

It might also be, and this is a guess, that while other clubs can make a decision now as they know their budgets, Charlton can't as we haven't sold any of the legacy players.

If this is the case then we are in a real jam.

That's not to say no one will sign but it will be late and it will be largely underwhelming although Maddison is a good player and Yann was seen as underwhelming by the likes of @AFKABartram when he came.

Until we're sold I can't see a significant change.

A similar position, albeit with even more expensive mistakes, to the one Parky had to manage under and which saw us miss out on a few quality targets (Jason Puncheon I seem to remember being one) and having to do some bargain shopping (Burton, Dailly, Doherty) and then even more bargain basement shopping the following year (Abbott, Benson, Francis, McCormack etc.). Even then, Parky managed to turn up a few decent players, albeit a couple didn't manage to find their best form in SE7.

It can be done, but I think unless some miracles happen with players sales, or KR manages to get a tune out of the likes of Sarr, play-offs would be the limit of realistic expectation next season. Maybe in another season when some contracts start expiring, the proper rebuild can happen.

Hopefully that will coincide with a new broom through the whole, as happened for Powell, if that can't happen sooner.
  • Options
    How many F's in rumour?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    _MrDick said:

How many F's in rumour?

There is no F****** F****** F****** Rumours
  • Options
    edited May 2017

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/24992/charlton-manager-explains-transfer-deals-taking-time/

Karl Robinson has explained why it has been a waiting game for Charlton Athletic in the transfer market – and defended his earlier optimism that he could strike deals quickly.

The Addicks boss had spoken about wanting at least a few new signings sorted before he headed off on a summer break.

Charlton’s season finished four weeks ago and there had been no activity beyond releasing the likes of Adam Chicksen and Roger Johnson.

The Addicks compiled a list of transfer targets with Ben Reeves, in the final weeks of his contract at Milton Keynes, right near the top of the players they want to attract.

Bradford winger Mark Marshall is another. His deal is also running down but the 30-year-old has been offered fresh terms by City, even though sources have indicated he wants a return to his London roots.

The Addicks have also made a contract offer to Swindon Town captain Nathan Thompson, another due to be a free agent.

“I expected to get one or two done early but what people need to understand is that we could have got deals done but they might not have been 100 per cent right for us,” said Robinson.

“Every single player I’m chasing is unfortunately wanted by Championship teams or bigger teams that have been relegated.

“We’re in the same bracket as a lot of clubs that have the same financial pull as ourselves. The better players do that longer to do.”

Robinson revealed after the final day win over Swindon Town that he had two potential signings in the Valley stands.

“We are waiting on one or two things with those,” he said. “Even though we have things on the table their agents have been trying things.

“I’ve been in touch with Steve [Gallen, head of recruitment] every single day. But our season finished a lot earlier than the League Two and Championship play-offs.

“There has been an awful lot riding on the results.

A lot of the business is not done until the Football League season is completely finished.

“People don’t understand that even the FA Cup final can have an effect on a League One team. There is a knock-on effect in terms of which players are loaned out and who they’ll take on pre-season trips.

“There are so many variables which can come down to our level.”

I don't think anything he's said here is unfair, with perhaps the exception of "agents trying things." I mean of course they will try to get more money for themselves and their players, that's how this thing works.

The bigger problem here is Karl running the risk of falling into the trap Slade did, which is in every press conference talking about the number of signings we still needed to make. It was a wonderful excuse for some shit performances in pre-season and to start the season, but it wore thin quickly, especially when the numbers he touted didn't come to pass.

If I knew Karl or worked for the club, I'd tell him to just hit his talking points. "We're looking at good players for this level, they're wanted by Champo clubs, we don't want just any player-we want players who will make us better, sometimes this takes more time and more negotiating, we continue to work hard on it, etc." Just keep it simple for now-we've got two and a half months until the season starts, something like 6 weeks until pre-season starts, even in the best of conditions these things can take time so just play it cool.
  • Options

This clueless bunch of cnuts have no chance of signing a team for promotion...

(Repeat that to yourselves 500 times whilst rocking back and forward in your chair)

Feel better?

What's a c nut? Sounds mechanical.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/24992/charlton-manager-explains-transfer-deals-taking-time/

Karl Robinson has explained why it has been a waiting game for Charlton Athletic in the transfer market – and defended his earlier optimism that he could strike deals quickly.

The Addicks boss had spoken about wanting at least a few new signings sorted before he headed off on a summer break.

Charlton’s season finished four weeks ago and there had been no activity beyond releasing the likes of Adam Chicksen and Roger Johnson.

The Addicks compiled a list of transfer targets with Ben Reeves, in the final weeks of his contract at Milton Keynes, right near the top of the players they want to attract.

Bradford winger Mark Marshall is another. His deal is also running down but the 30-year-old has been offered fresh terms by City, even though sources have indicated he wants a return to his London roots.

The Addicks have also made a contract offer to Swindon Town captain Nathan Thompson, another due to be a free agent.

“I expected to get one or two done early but what people need to understand is that we could have got deals done but they might not have been 100 per cent right for us,” said Robinson.

“Every single player I’m chasing is unfortunately wanted by Championship teams or bigger teams that have been relegated.

“We’re in the same bracket as a lot of clubs that have the same financial pull as ourselves. The better players do that longer to do.”

Robinson revealed after the final day win over Swindon Town that he had two potential signings in the Valley stands.

“We are waiting on one or two things with those,” he said. “Even though we have things on the table their agents have been trying things.

“I’ve been in touch with Steve [Gallen, head of recruitment] every single day. But our season finished a lot earlier than the League Two and Championship play-offs.

A lot of the business is not done until the Football League season is completely finished.

“People don’t understand that even the FA Cup final can have an effect on a League One team. There is a knock-on effect in terms of which players are loaned out and who they’ll take on pre-season trips.

I don't think anything he's said here is unfair, with perhaps the exception of "agents trying things." I mean of course they will try to get more money for themselves and their players, that's how this thing works.

The bigger problem here is Karl running the risk of falling into the trap Slade did, which is in every press conference talking about the number of signings we still needed to make. It was a wonderful excuse for some shit performances in pre-season and to start the season, but it wore thin quickly, especially when the numbers he touted didn't come to pass.

If I knew Karl or worked for the club, I'd tell him to just hit his talking points. "We're looking at good players for this level, they're wanted by Champo clubs, we don't want just any player-we want players who will make us better, sometimes this takes more time and more negotiating, we continue to work hard on it, etc." Just keep it simple for now-we've got two and a half months until the season starts, something like 6 weeks until pre-season starts, even in the best of conditions these things can take time so just play it cool.
    So you mean just be honest ?

I'm not sure if that's permitted.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

So you mean just be honest ?

I'm not sure if that's permitted.
    Shhhhh if you call it "talking points" it sounds more professional.
  • Options
    Arrrgghhhh, just checked rumors on seeing 125 new posts, all excited what do I get one new rumour about a player we had on loan last year and a mention of Alan Turin, should have known, buggar that I'll come back in June
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Arrrgghhhh, just checked rumors on seeing 125 new posts, all excited what do I get one new rumour about a player we had on loan last year and a mention of Alan Turin, should have known, buggar that I'll come back in June

See you tomorrow then.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I went into the message board for Nathan Thompson's club to see what they think of him.... to a person none will miss him and they say that although he was really good a couple of years ago, that his body is breaking down now, his performance is off, and he doesn't have 2 good years left.