Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

Probably the worst post so far. Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal throw money at anyone and everyone and wait for something to stick. You’re proving his point, nothing about what they do is moneyball. I’d argue that English billionaires aren’t dumb enough to buy football clubs, we’ll leave that to the Americans, Russians and Arabs who flush money down the toilet half the time.

The part about US owners of ManU, etc, had NOTHING to do with Moneyball, nor was it intended to address that. Your point is the very definition of "straw man." It was a response to him saying that American owners have not won anything. My counter-response is that they win a whole lot more than any English owners do. Which is correct. I also contend that if a foreign owner was willing to spend like mad here the way Russians, Arabs and Chinese, you would not be complaining one damned bit.
    My point, and you well know it, was that no American had bought a club that had had no success and applied the Moneyball approach and became successful. What they bought when they came into Man Utd (with money that they added to United’a debts, like RD did with us) was the most successful team in England at the time with arguably the best ever British manager. Remind me how many titles they’ve won since Ferguson retired?

The American’s that originally bought Liverpool tried to apply Moneyball and the club fell out of the Champions League - something that it was thought to be difficult if they set out to achieve it on purpose.

It was, clearly, not a dig at Americans and you’re right I’d be more than happy for a foreign billionaire to buy us but only if he wanted to throw money at it/buy success - not if he wanted to try to use us as an experiment to prove that he was cleverer that all other owners - been there, done that and it didn’t end well.
  • Options
    We are owned by a billionaire, fat load of good that has done us.

And Tottenham are I believe British owned (and well run) and a better example than Newcastle.
  • Options

And Tottenham are I believe British owned (and well run) and a better example than Newcastle.

Pretty sure he’s not a billionaire
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

He might have been by now if he hadn't tried his failed experiment.
  • Options
    As an example of a club that used Moneyball type tactics, surely Brentford are a better one that Southampton?

Their owner Matthew Benham made his fortune in professional gambling, with complicated mathematical models used to predict results, and uses his number crunching background to run the club. Indeed Mark Warburton was let go after not being happy with this complete reliance on numbers, and replaced by Marinus Dijkhuizen, someone who would accept this approach (and was a complete disaster, sacked after 9 matches)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3253957/Brentford-owner-Matthew-Benham-obsessed-stats-come-wrong-formula-success.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718752-brentfords-moneyball-way-to-beat-football-teams-with-huge-budgets
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    J BLOCK said:

@Henry Irving said on the last page he's worth 1.6bn euros now.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Duct tape shares went through the roof this year.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Does anyone else just power scroll through this thread now, only stopping at Airman Brown or RedHenry posts?

Yep!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Redrobo said:

A smart club would step up from money ball and when they sell a player for £10m they would buy (say), two young players for £5m who are better than the two worst players they have.

After a few years they would sell a player for £100m and buy two young players for £50m etc etc.

Like Southampton do.
    I think Monaco were the first and a much better example.

Clubs like Barcelona have reached the stage where every year they buy just one player - but he is probably the best young player in the world for that position.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

J BLOCK said:

@Henry Irving said on the last page he's worth 1.6m euros now.
    Which makes him a millionaire?
  • Options

Scoham said:

J BLOCK said:

Not sure if you’ve noticed the exchange rates since the referendum.

€1.6 billion is about £1.4 billion.

• Options

Scoham said:

J BLOCK said:

It would, but Henry is misquoted. He said 1.6b euros.
  • Options

Scoham said:

J BLOCK said:

Edited, I meant 1.6bn!
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Valley11 said:

Does anyone else just power scroll through this thread now, only stopping at Airman Brown or RedHenry posts?

Yep!!
    How do you know what Valley11 said?
    I tend to get behind on the thread, scroll through and only stop and look at posts with heavy like or lol counts.

Everyone else is doing my forum work for me.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

1905 said:

Shall be do some more Maths whilst we all F5 constantly?

Add the £18m to buy the club, the £55m debt, the £12m spent on the training ground and the £20m spent on players to find out how much Roland has spent on Charlton. Then add £7m of debt to the previous directors and you have what must be the asking price.

No calculators and show your working.
    Deduct the Lookman 11m
    I suspect the movement between the £18m opening debt and whatever the current debt is (£55m and rising by the day) is the net cash that RD has put in - I doubt he has put in anything as new equity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sm said:

JamesSeed said:

1905 said:

Shall be do some more Maths whilst we all F5 constantly?

Add the £18m to buy the club, the £55m debt, the £12m spent on the training ground and the £20m spent on players to find out how much Roland has spent on Charlton. Then add £7m of debt to the previous directors and you have what must be the asking price.

No calculators and show your working.
    Deduct the Lookman 11m
    I suspect the movement between the £18m opening debt and whatever the current debt is (£55m and rising by the day) is the net cash that RD has put in - I doubt he has put in anything as new equity.
    Deduct a bit for accrued interest capitalised into the loan.
  • Options

Sorry, bit behind on the takeover thread. Can someone recap for me which clubs are the most 'moneyball'?

This thread is all balls at the moment
  • Options
    Golden balls?

Is David Beckham part of the takeover consortium?
  • Options

Scoham said:

J BLOCK said:

Not sure if you’ve noticed the exchange rates since the referendum.

€1.6 billion is about £1.4 billion.

Not sur if you’ve noticed but the post said 1.4m not 1.4b
  • Options
    This thread is oddly both funny and depressing which is quite an achievement!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Valley11 said:

And your's yours it seems.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Valley11 said:

And your's it seems.
    Eh?
    You commented on it haha.
    PS - no apostrophe in yours.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

JamesSeed said:

Valley11 said:

And your's it seems.
    Eh?
    You commented on it haha.
    PS - no apostrophe in yours.
    I was only commenting on the fact that you had so many 'likes'. So people who are looking for Airman and Red Henry still saw your tweet.

You're right about the apostrophe of course. 'Your's' is a grammatical tautology.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I've just left the Brexit thread and I'm pretty sure someone posted that since the vote £1bn is the equivalent of 240 pesetas.

Mmmm, I love pesetas
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Valley11 said:

And your's it seems.
    That's exactly what I've been doing for the last couple of days.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!