Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    I've realised that I can trash this "protest affects sale" once and for all. In the case of "the Europeans" it is exactly part of the attraction of the club. That is because their intermediary is a proper fan, who has briefed them ( with a/v evidence) that the vinegar pissers are often the same people who rescued and helped develop the club over 20 years. Since the main man owns a club with a strong community identity which he has built on, he sees the parallels and likes them. Nor, i believe, will the breakeven story impress them
    one bit. What matters is an agreed price with 100% transparency on the debt they would take on. And you can quote all that to de Turck. 

Sadly though it may be too late but I hope to find out more next week.
    All parties now saying the same thing - Duchatelet impossible to deal with.
    Publicly?
  • Options
    1975, The first episode of Farty Towels is shown. 
    Still the greatest comedy programme ever broadcast.  Farty Towels was, of course, the last-ever episode, broadcast in 1979.  But the first episode, shot in 1974 and broadcast in 1975 "FAWLTY TOWERS" was called A Touch of Class and includes the greatest-ever use of the two-word phrase "go away"... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hhrq7 
  • Options
    I've realised that I can trash this "protest affects sale" once and for all. In the case of "the Europeans" it is exactly part of the attraction of the club. That is because their intermediary is a proper fan, who has briefed them ( with a/v evidence) that the vinegar pissers are often the same people who rescued and helped develop the club over 20 years. Since the main man owns a club with a strong community identity which he has built on, he sees the parallels and likes them. Nor, i believe, will the breakeven story impress them
    one bit. What matters is an agreed price with 100% transparency on the debt they would take on. And you can quote all that to de Turck. 

See my earlier post last para then perhaps? 

On another note why go on about protests and overheads particularly the latter, as a smokescreen for avoid aggro and losing less of his money I guess?
  • Options
    raytreacy69 said: But why not just improve contract to Lyle - surely Toney would have wanted a decent salary?

stonemuse said:
    Oof. That was a day in the life. Blinking in the morning sun, and reading posts above I too have the feeling that something has changed. Obviously we didn't throw fee money around but some of those players have to be paid a decent wage. And yes, other Championship clubs had cash to burn but some don't, because they don't have parachute money. But for me the most significant thing was holding the line on Taylor, both from the  playing side, perspective and the behaviour under dealing pressure. @Airman Brown wrote a couple of days earlier, that Brentford knew how to play Duchatelet after the Konsa deal, and that rang true to me, but yesterday it didn't work for them, and they seem to have rather shafted themselves as a result. Satisfying in itself, but unprecedented in the Douchebag era, is it not? 

I am not going soft on resolve that he must be persuaded to sell, and ideally before the next window, but I think those of us with possibilities to do so (including Fans Forum attendees) should try to get some intelligence on whether possibly the budget did increase upwards a bit, and/or whether somehow Bowyer has established a trust level with RD that others never managed. Some insight on this would help us shape the nature of protests/ pressure that we should now exert on him. 

The portals of hell stayed shut, its a beautiful morning (here anyway) and we go into a game tomorrow with Lyle Taylor leading the line and another Wembley hero returning. We cannot get carried away and Stoke will be a handful, but let's drink in the moment. In a small way I think we all won, yesterday.
    Brentford played out exactly as had been predicted to me and if the Toney deal had gone through I am certain Taylor would have been allowed to leave. They were willing to pay him three times his Charlton salary and they were confident of getting him. The question is where his head will be now.
    So, on your understanding, RD was willing to pay out 4m (?) for Toney? Seems completely out of character. 
    Paying out the fee received for Lyle to replace him with a 23-year-old against keeping a player with one year on his contract who is more likely to be a declining asset in terms of resale value at the end of any extension.

RD wasn’t looking to sell Lyle. He knew it would be a disaster but there is also a management decision here for Bowyer, who now has an unhappy player. This was about Brentford unsettling Taylor and trying to have RD over, based on the fact they were able to do it last year. 

To be clear, I don’t blame Lyle for wanting to go at 29 and currently being on poor money for a 25-goal striker. I’m very much in favour of keeping him though.

Let's see what happens in January.
  • Options

Hi mate is the sentence above a 'gut' feeling, or were you told a few weeks ago they were defo walking away? I was kinda hoping that they were going to see if RD would ask them to come back and negotiate again, although what about I wouldn't have a clue because surely the price had been agreed?
  • Options
    If all 3 major parties have walked, as it seems now from posts on here recently, then my thought of something going on in the background around new owners is very wide of the mark. Therefore assuming I was (wide of the mark) we have to assume RD has completed a full 180 and decided to invest, after all this time, in the squad!! If that is the case then we have to assume that he will be here for the entire season in the hope we stay up and it makes the club more attractive to potential buyers. However he is taking another gamble, which is unlike him, that 1 - we stay up and 2 - buyers will be around again this time next year. Surely that's not in his make-up either!! 
    Something happened yesterday......perhaps we might find out in due course.
  • Options
    1975, The first episode of Farty Towels is shown. 
    The greatest TV comedy series ever......pure genius.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

if only we had Bowyer and Gallen acting as middle men in the takeover talks, we might actually make it happen
  • Options
    Roland has been at the tables and this can be very addictive trying to chase your losses. He has wired some money to the cage and put a few chips on the table to get noticed and attract some attention. He has a new formula, he is plugging the leaks, lets see how that works. Go on put it all on red and win and bring the house down  
  • Options
    Not quite sure why my post just above has attracted a lol. Care to enlighten us @Vienna_Addick ?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    If all 3 major parties have walked, as it seems now from posts on here recently, then my thought of something going on in the background around new owners is very wide of the mark. Therefore assuming I was (wide of the mark) we have to assume RD has completed a full 180 and decided to invest, after all this time, in the squad!! If that is the case then we have to assume that he will be here for the entire season in the hope we stay up and it makes the club more attractive to potential buyers. However he is taking another gamble, which is unlike him, that 1 - we stay up and 2 - buyers will be around again this time next year. Surely that's not in his make-up either!! 
    Something happened yesterday......perhaps we might find out in due course.
    Where has he invested in the squad? I expect that all that actually happened was that Bowyer spent the Djiksteel money on wages/loan fees plus whatever he already had left of his meagre budget.
    I did say 'assume' @LargeAddick, and "if that is the case". I have no idea whats happened, I'm just looking at previous transfer windows and his track record with those, coupled with LB saying he wasn't seeing any of the Lookman sell-on fee. So he has either given LB the Djiksteel money and LB has cleverly re-distributed it (which for RD is a break from the norm in the first place) or he has given LB some extra bunce.  As I said I'm not sure whats happened to be honest, but this is a very unlike RD transfer window!
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    I think we can assume that RD is aware of CARD's statement and was probably intimidated by the phrase 'legitimate target'.
    JamesSeed said:
    Re my earlier post, there is also Cawley's resonant tweet yesterday (my emphasis) " Duchatelet knows this will open the portals of hell" Cawley is a proper pro who played a blinder for us yesterday, again. if he was just reading "us" in the tweet he would not have included the first two words, I believe. A year or more ago Duchatelet would not have given a toss. So I wonder what RC has heard that allowed him to write that.
    It totally backs up what GM told me. RD is far more sensitive to protests and reputational damage than we realise. This was after conversations they had with him at the time of the playoff win. 
    Precisely why we can't go soft on him now.  Evolution in roly's behaviour has been drip, drip it's true but CARD, ROT, et al and the coverage we have brought is shifting the balance in his decision making.  He may have quailed from dropping the final straw onto the camel's back this time, keeping the gates of hell closed for now.  He has the abiding uncertainty of how little pressure might be required for those gates to swing open.  The irritation of Charlton's weird 2% doorstepping him was huge, he won't have forgotten, he really doesn't want that again, ever.  It is inching him closer* to moderating his price.  For my money, he might be expecting a quiet time now til January, another belgian sortie now will get right up his nose.  The biggest dent in his ego will always have been the spivs duping him on their fictitious property deal but our public ridicule will smart.  The property thing was a puff of smoke, long gone but he can still control how long we remain a pain, he'll just need frequent prods in the ribs.
    *Close is a relative term obv, he's not close by any objective measure, I'm sure he still wants to believe there's someone who'll take it off his hands exactly as is, reimbursing him for all his expenditure, he's less far from his tipping point. 
  • Options
    Not quite sure why my post just above has attracted a lol. Care to enlighten us @Vienna_Addick ?

• Options
    I don’t think anything happened over the last few days with Roland. I think the contract situation with both Djiksteel and Taylor have been subject to discussion  by Roland and Bowyer with an agreement that within certain boundaries a fee for either or both could be used by Bowyer. With our attempts to prize Toney from Peterborough failing it was madness to accept Brentford’s offer for Taylor. Had Peterborough played ball I’m certain Taylor would have been sold. I’m guessing the overall picture would effectively be cost neutral with ins and outs. 
    Since Dijksteel was sold, I've been thinking similar lines.

First thing, Bowyer seems to have an autonomy in running the playing side of the club (much like Curbs did), obviously within budget and certain constraints.

Bowyer himself has said something along the lines that if a player was sold, then an agreed proportion of the fee would be made available to him. Dijksteel was made available, on the basis that his RB position could be covered within the squad in order that the transfer market be used to strengthen other positions.

To my mind, Bowyer's new contract was negotiated on more than just an increase in salary.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It looks like Bowyer has got an agreement that he can spend his budgeted amount, plus anything he can raise in sales. That’s the only thing that makes any sense of the Toney situation. 

It it also means Roly uses any additional revenue from sell on clauses to pay down his debt(maybe). 

Or or perhaps Roly has run the numbers and figured out that if he spends just enough to survive in the Championship, he’ll lose less money than he would in L1, and be able to get a higher sale price.  Not the price he wants, but more than L1
  • Options
    6.8m views
  • Options
    6.8m views
    And still no promote.

I'll give Ibborg a shout mate and see what I can do.
  • Options
    6.8m views
    And still no promote.

I'll give Ibborg a shout mate and see what I can do.
    But watch how you ask, he has a gun! ;)
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Re my earlier post, there is also Cawley's resonant tweet yesterday (my emphasis) " Duchatelet knows this will open the portals of hell" Cawley is a proper pro who played a blinder for us yesterday, again. if he was just reading "us" in the tweet he would not have included the first two words, I believe. A year or more ago Duchatelet would not have given a toss. So I wonder what RC has heard that allowed him to write that.
    It totally backs up what GM told me. RD is far more sensitive to protests and reputational damage than we realise. This was after conversations they had with him at the time of the playoff win. 
    James, with regards to his sensitivity to both protests and reputational damage, would it be fair to assume he's much more concerned about the latter than the former? 
    I think he thinks they’re connected. 
  • Options
    razil said:
     Duche may make some questionable decisions and go about things in a way we don't understand, but he did re-sign Bowyer and may realise he is key to the above given what he's achieved.

I
    He was shocked by the outcry (in the press) when Bowyer wasn’t offered a new contract. 
  • Options

Yup. Aussies still have bid in, and are waiting for Roland. Probably same with Europeans.

I have a horrible feeling Roland is beginning to enjoy the position he’s in (based on nothing more than a hunch and the LB factor). 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Yup. Aussies still have bid in, and are waiting for Roland. Probably same with Europeans.

I have a horrible feeling Roland is beginning to enjoy the position he’s in (based on nothing more than a hunch and the LB factor). 
    What are they’re waiting for?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:
    GM and Aussies still in the hunt, but there’s no one around to deal with them at the moment, apparently. Chaos. 
    Hi James. Who told you that, and why, I wonder? I know that it is untrue. 

The word fed back from the club about the Aussies is that they lost one of their investors and have not been heard of since. But that too could be disinformation, or a part truth.

If they’d gone, why would they tell me they haven’t? That doesn’t add up.

Over time they’ve lost several investors - each time Roland moved the goalposts. Can you blame them for pulling out, when they get effed about by Roland?
    But you’ve just said they haven’t pulled out? I’m confused. 
    I'm guessing he means that individual members have left the consortium each time Roland pi**** about as distinct to the consortium as a whole giving up on it.

Same difference in terms of tangible action though.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!