Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Or having lost all the buyers due to his silly price and silly games he realised he was going to still own the club this season.

He then had the choice of allowing it to go down with a whimper, which would have decreased its value, made him look bad and ramped up protests, or allow Bowyer to at least have a fighting chance of staying up.

For all the credit rightly given to Bowyer and Gallen they haven't spent very much and nothing at all compared to many other championship clubs.
    I cant disagree with what you say, but, I also agree with some of the other comments made above, that something has changed with Roland. If a £4 million bid was made by the club for Tovey, then that is way out of line with the way Roland has conducted himself, either that bid was made with assuming they would let Lyle go, or there,s something going on behind the scenes.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I mentioned this elsewhere, but the Aussies told me something about Roland that made me think he wouldn’t dare sell Taylor. At least not without a proper replacement in place. I suspect that had the offer been accepted for Toney, Taylor would’ve been off. But he wouldn’t have sold him and pocketed the money.
    Edit: Not because of scruples, but because of reputational damage and the increase of protests it would have caused. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I mentioned this elsewhere, but the Aussies told me something about Roland that made me think he wouldn’t dare sell Taylor. At least not without a proper replacement in place. I suspect that had the offer been accepted for Toney, Taylor would’ve been off. But he wouldn’t have sold him and pocketed the money. 

What did they tell you?
  • Options
    Yay I now exist the world can rejoice.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

What did they tell you?
    See edit above. 
  • Options
    RD may at last have been persuaded of the obvious - that a club in the Championship with decent squad and a chance of going up has more value than one which is likely to go down. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Edit: Not because of scruples, but because of reputational damage and the increase of protests it would have caused. 
    Something like this was also picked up in "Central Europe" but it would be important to understand this a bit better. Important not just for us on here but for potential buyers. 
  • Options
    Oof. That was a day in the life. Blinking in the morning sun, and reading posts above I too have the feeling that something has changed. Obviously we didn't throw fee money around but some of those players have to be paid a decent wage. And yes, other Championship clubs had cash to burn but some don't, because they don't have parachute money. But for me the most significant thing was holding the line on Taylor, both from the  playing side, perspective and the behaviour under dealing pressure. @Airman Brown wrote a couple of days earlier, that Brentford knew how to play Duchatelet after the Konsa deal, and that rang true to me, but yesterday it didn't work for them, and they seem to have rather shafted themselves as a result. Satisfying in itself, but unprecedented in the Douchebag era, is it not? 

I am not going soft on resolve that he must be persuaded to sell, and ideally before the next window, but I think those of us with possibilities to do so (including Fans Forum attendees) should try to get some intelligence on whether possibly the budget did increase upwards a bit, and/or whether somehow Bowyer has established a trust level with RD that others never managed. Some insight on this would help us shape the nature of protests/ pressure that we should now exert on him. 

The portals of hell stayed shut, its a beautiful morning (here anyway) and we go into a game tomorrow with Lyle Taylor leading the line and another Wembley hero returning. We cannot get carried away and Stoke will be a handful, but let's drink in the moment. In a small way I think we all won, yesterday.
    Brentford played out exactly as had been predicted to me and if the Toney deal had gone through I am certain Taylor would have been allowed to leave. They were willing to pay him three times his Charlton salary and they were confident of getting him. The question is where his head will be now.
    So, on your understanding, RD was willing to pay out 4m (?) for Toney? Seems completely out of character. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oof. That was a day in the life. Blinking in the morning sun, and reading posts above I too have the feeling that something has changed. Obviously we didn't throw fee money around but some of those players have to be paid a decent wage. And yes, other Championship clubs had cash to burn but some don't, because they don't have parachute money. But for me the most significant thing was holding the line on Taylor, both from the  playing side, perspective and the behaviour under dealing pressure. @Airman Brown wrote a couple of days earlier, that Brentford knew how to play Duchatelet after the Konsa deal, and that rang true to me, but yesterday it didn't work for them, and they seem to have rather shafted themselves as a result. Satisfying in itself, but unprecedented in the Douchebag era, is it not? 

I am not going soft on resolve that he must be persuaded to sell, and ideally before the next window, but I think those of us with possibilities to do so (including Fans Forum attendees) should try to get some intelligence on whether possibly the budget did increase upwards a bit, and/or whether somehow Bowyer has established a trust level with RD that others never managed. Some insight on this would help us shape the nature of protests/ pressure that we should now exert on him. 

The portals of hell stayed shut, its a beautiful morning (here anyway) and we go into a game tomorrow with Lyle Taylor leading the line and another Wembley hero returning. We cannot get carried away and Stoke will be a handful, but let's drink in the moment. In a small way I think we all won, yesterday.
    Brentford played out exactly as had been predicted to me - with the late cash upfront offer repeating the Konsa tactic - and if the Toney deal had gone through I am certain Taylor would have been allowed to leave. They were willing to pay him three times his Charlton salary and they were confident of getting him. The question is where his head will be now.
    Praying for a takeover I expect. 
  • Options
    SX_Addick said:
    Given the unprecedented transfer window, and assuming that at least some of the rumours are true (we turned four multimillion pound bids down for Taylor?) I do wonder what has changed. Have we been taken over and the announcement has not yet been made. It all feels very odd at the moment. 
    I suggested this scenario earlier today.

Something doesn't add up, does it ....
    I think we are all secretly hoping this, but don't want to say it
  • Options
    The suggestion then is that RD understands the need for stability and or to retain Bows to get a sale.. Personally feel Bows might have found it difficult to bite his lip and maintain the respect of the fans if Taylor had been flogged with no repair or benefit to the squad.
  • Options
    Re my earlier post, there is also Cawley's resonant tweet yesterday (my emphasis) " Duchatelet knows this will open the portals of hell" Cawley is a proper pro who played a blinder for us yesterday, again. if he was just reading "us" in the tweet he would not have included the first two words, I believe. A year or more ago Duchatelet would not have given a toss. So I wonder what RC has heard that allowed him to write that.
    It totally backs up what GM told me. RD is far more sensitive to protests and reputational damage than we realise. This was after conversations they had with him at the time of the playoff win. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Re my earlier post, there is also Cawley's resonant tweet yesterday (my emphasis) " Duchatelet knows this will open the portals of hell" Cawley is a proper pro who played a blinder for us yesterday, again. if he was just reading "us" in the tweet he would not have included the first two words, I believe. A year or more ago Duchatelet would not have given a toss. So I wonder what RC has heard that allowed him to write that.
    It totally backs up what GM told me. RD is far more sensitive to protests and reputational damage than we realise. This was after conversations they had with him at the time of the playoff win. 
    James, with regards to his sensitivity to both protests and reputational damage, would it be fair to assume he's much more concerned about the latter than the former? 
  • Options
    I've inboxed AFKA to tell him that the bullying of Surrey supporters on here has gone too far.
    He has promised me that several Kent and one Worcester supporter will receive lifetime bans unless they collectively come on here and appolagise unreservedly. 
    There's another Worcester supporter on here?

Who?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    I've inboxed AFKA to tell him that the bullying of Surrey supporters on here has gone too far.
    He has promised me that several Kent and one Worcester supporter will receive lifetime bans unless they collectively come on here and appolagise unreservedly. 
    There's another Worcester supporter on here?

Who?
    Leuth
  • Options
    @KiwiValley was here...screaming and kicking. It would be a quarter century before I succumbed to my Addicks fan fate.
  • Options
    Whether it was Roderick Duchatelet or another family member who explained the scenario to Roland but the Belgium 20 could become the 200 and the thought of Cafc fans on every corner of his estate may has got to him and the business implications of selling your top asset without a replacement.

Paying a similar fee for Toney with which Taylor would have gone for was pragmatic and no way has the 72 year become Santa Claus.

• Options

^ spot on
  • Options

Brentford played out exactly as had been predicted to me - with the late cash upfront offer repeating the Konsa tactic - and if the Toney deal had gone through I am certain Taylor would have been allowed to leave. They were willing to pay him three times his Charlton salary and they were confident of getting him. The question is where his head will be now.
    Of course, that is the concern. But I tell myself that he's 29, and apparently a fully paid up member of the human race, unlike, e.g. Grant. Also when he arrived my AFCW buddy told me that he's a player who needs to be loved and in return he will give 150% and that turned out to be right on the money, so we have a role to play.

The smart thing to do of course would be to offer him a juicy new contract forthwith. 
    The needing to be loved part is what worries me about all the twatter abuse he received, hopefully the Covered End will let him know how loved he is tomorrow
  • Options
    1974, The BBC introduce Ceefax. I can still remember the pages, 302 for football & 340 for cricket.
    I think it used to be 130 for the Sport menu in the early days of it
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!