Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    CafcCrazy said:
    This has to be pressure from the prospective buyers, after that statement and then to suddenly pen a new deal. Something is close. 

I agree, I think the takeover could be nearly there
  • Options
    Roland has to call his preferred bidder and shake their hands now. His race has been run.
  • Options
    I don't think we can read into this that a takeover is near. Otherwise it would surely be more than a 12 month contract? In fact it might mean the opposite, we are no closer.
  • Options
    CafcCrazy said:
    This has to be pressure from the prospective buyers, after that statement and then to suddenly pen a new deal. Something is close. 

I agree, I think the takeover could be nearly there
    Otherwise it just doesn't make sense to make a u turn in less than 24 hours, the man is a fucking raving lunatic I know but this is just baffling
  • Options
    I think a 12 month contract is great for a new owner..they know he is a success and he is loved by the fans..moreso than curbs after just over a year ..he is cheap and loves the club...and if they don't like him they don't have to pay up a long expensive contract...

The only problem is if rd stays ! 
  • Options
    Takeover after 9am?.
  • Options
    Might just be me but feels like we could be reaching the end with RD
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Heard slightly more positive news from Aussies just now. I was pretty despondent this morning, slightly less so now. At least they’re not completely out of the running. 
    I am greatful for anybody even remotely ITK to post on here. But a little less cryptically, would be better. Are you saying they are passing milestones with the acquisition, or are they now believe they can challenge a different takeover attempt?
    Apologies. I actually misunderstood something they said, meaning I thought they were struggling with finances. I would have rated their chances of buying the club at 5% at that time. Bit higher now. 
    Further positive news today, although I still think Dalman is favourite. 
  • Options
    Well that was an unnecessary sleepless night - when will this nightmare end?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Heard slightly more positive news from Aussies just now. I was pretty despondent this morning, slightly less so now. At least they’re not completely out of the running. 
    I am greatful for anybody even remotely ITK to post on here. But a little less cryptically, would be better. Are you saying they are passing milestones with the acquisition, or are they now believe they can challenge a different takeover attempt?
    Apologies. I actually misunderstood something they said, meaning I thought they were struggling with finances. I would have rated their chances of buying the club at 5% at that time. Bit higher now. 
    would you say either are close though? 
  • Options
    Still don’t see any signs that a takeover is close. Yes I’m sure that there is stuff going on but close why ? 

RD still a mad as ever with yesterday’s antics and low budget in place. Think the nut job is here until at least January.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    would you say either are close though? 
    Well it’s gone very quiet on the Dalman front. So possibly ;-)

Every time I post about the Aussies doing this, that or the other I can sense patience wearing thin on CL, understandably, even though my guess is it’s 80% down to Roland. 

But yes, progress has been made in the last couple of days. 

Thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019

Charlton have made an extraordinary U-turn by agreeing to double their offer of a new contract for Lee Bowyer just hours after branding the manager as greedy for rejecting a new deal.

The former England midfield player has signed an amended one-year rolling contract to stay at the Valley next season with his salary increased to over £400,000 as recognition for his efforts in leading the club back to the Championship.

The Charlton owner Roland Duchâtelet is understood to have had a change of heart yesterday evening after a backlash from fans following the club’s remarkable statement which denounced Bowyer’s wage demands and branded fellow Championship owners crazy for paying million-pound salaries. The Belgian contacted Bowyer at around 10pm last night asking him to stay with a contract worth almost double his previous offer, and a deal was quickly agreed.

Bowyer had always wanted to stay at Charlton, where he made his name as a player and has impressed hugely in his first management job, stabilising the first-team as a caretaker following the sacking of Karl Robinson last year before leading them to promotion via the League One play-offs.

“We went on a real journey last season,” Bowyer said in a statement this morning. “The club came together — the players, the staff, the fans and we achieved something special. The journey hasn’t finished yet and I’m delighted this has all been agreed.

“This has been a long process and I never wanted to leave, I love this club. I’d like to thank the owner for giving me the initial opportunity and now for continuing to believe in me. We have a fantastic fan-base here and my focus continues to be getting our squad in the best possible shape for the Championship next season.”

Charlton’s change of heart is remarkable, and took place around six hours after Duchâtelet authorised a statement Bowyer of making unreasonable wage demands that are not sustainable at the loss-making club. He has been seeking to sell Charlton for two years, and remains in talks with Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman over a potential takeover, and felt unable to offer more.

“Lee has been offered a one-year extension to his contract at a level which is approximately three times what he had since his last increase when he became permanent manager in September [2018],” the statement read. “It is six times what he earned when he started as assistant manager in 2017 and 50% more than what any Charlton manager previously had (excluding the Premier League years). But Lee wanted much more.

“The owner understands Lee’s point of view, because many Championship clubs pay huge amounts (some pay millions of £ per year) to their manager. It is fair that Lee feels he should be paid like many other Championship managers. The owners are crazy.”

Did hear Lee’s £500k demand from a very good source. Probably always expecting to settle for less. 
  • Options
    can you say anymore on what you're hearing from the Aussies @JamesSeed
  • Options
    How else can that bizarre statement last night be suddenly retracted in its entirety and Bowyer suddenly be signed up, happy and thanking Roland.  

A. Roland was visited by three ghosts and woke up a changed man.
    B. External powers sticking their ore in.

Is this finally the end of him?!
    The ghost of relegations past! 
  • Options
    It’s happening...hang on to your hats!
  • Options
    Well I’m frustrated by how long it’s taking, but it sounds like technical stuff to do with shifting money and proof of funds around. Disadvantage of consortia possibly. 
    I still expect Dalman to nip in any day now. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Reading the Times article, doesn’t it look like fan power won Bowyer the pay rise!?
    Hats off CL and Twitter!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Reading the Times article, doesn’t look like fan power won Bowyer the pay rise!?
    why what did it say please, as I was only able to read the first part
  • Options
    For those who haven’t seen the times artical

From behind the Times Paywall

Charlton have made an extraordinary U-turn by agreeing to double their offer of a new contract for Lee Bowyer just hours after branding the manager as greedy for rejecting a new deal.

The former England midfield player has signed an amended one-year rolling contract to stay at the Valley next season with his salary increased to over £400,000 as recognition for his efforts in leading the club back to the Championship.

The Charlton owner Roland Duchâtelet is understood to have had a change of heart yesterday evening after a backlash from fans following the club’s remarkable statement which denounced Bowyer’s wage demands and branded fellow Championship owners crazy for paying million-pound salaries. The Belgian contacted Bowyer at around 10pm last night asking him to stay with a contract worth almost double his previous offer, and a deal was quickly agreed.

Bowyer had always wanted to stay at Charlton, where he made his name as a player and has impressed hugely in his first management job, stabilising the first-team as a caretaker following the sacking of Karl Robinson last year before leading them to promotion via the League One play-offs.

“We went on a real journey last season,” Bowyer said in a statement this morning. “The club came together — the players, the staff, the fans and we achieved something special. The journey hasn’t finished yet and I’m delighted this has all been agreed.

“This has been a long process and I never wanted to leave, I love this club. I’d like to thank the owner for giving me the initial opportunity and now for continuing to believe in me. We have a fantastic fan-base here and my focus continues to be getting our squad in the best possible shape for the Championship next season.”

Charlton’s change of heart is remarkable, and took place around six hours after Duchâtelet authorised a statement Bowyer of making unreasonable wage demands that are not sustainable at the loss-making club. He has been seeking to sell Charlton for two years, and remains in talks with Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman over a potential takeover, and felt unable to offer more.

“Lee has been offered a one-year extension to his contract at a level which is approximately three times what he had since his last increase when he became permanent manager in September [2018],” the statement read. “It is six times what he earned when he started as assistant manager in 2017 and 50% more than what any Charlton manager previously had (excluding the Premier League years). But Lee wanted much more.

“The owner understands Lee’s point of view, because many Championship clubs pay huge amounts (some pay millions of £ per year) to their manager. It is fair that Lee feels he should be paid like many other Championship managers. The owners are crazy.”

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Well I’m frustrated by how long it’s taking, but it sounds like technical stuff to do with shifting money and proof of funds around. Disadvantage of consortia possibly. 
    I still expect Dalman to nip in any day now. 
    thanks for the update much appreciated. so one way or another it sounds as if it could be close. it's going to be a rolandesque u turn from dalman if he ends up leaving Cardiff after last weeks statement 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!