Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    FF is Wednesday, wouldn't be on a match day..
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

addick05 said:

Have made up my mind now. No takeover for the foreseeable. I'm afraid we are all going to have to accept the situation and just get behind Bow, JJ and the team. Whatever is occurring of the pitch is beyond out influence. Judging by the lack of posts on here many have also given up speculating.

Disagree with your assertion " is beyond our influence". The reduction in match day revenue has hit RD hard, as judged by the cost cutting exercises recently carried out, amidst much negative press. I believe we must keep our foot on the austerity pedal and I for one will not return to The Valley until there is a change of ownership.
    Fully respect your stand on not returning until Roland had left. However, although lower gates are obviously a drain on his income from football, we must remember that -according to him- Charlton is but a tiny aspect of his business empire.
    Agree that the adverse publicity annoys him and full marks to those who have given their time and indeed money, in pursuit of the cretin, but he is still the owner and shows no sign of selling. He holds the whip hand and will sell when he is ready. Nothing you or I do will change that. So I stand by my statement that what goes on off the pitch regarding the sale of the club is "beyond our influence."
  • Options
    This is supposed to only be semi serious.
    The thought that occurred to me, is that if the team wins Duchatelet would have to pay out quite substantial win bonuses (yeah I know).
    I would like to think that win bonuses are as much an irritating drain on him as crisp crumb cleaners or boycotters.
  • Options
    also if we are promoted.. he might get near what he wants... could be a win/win??
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

addick05 said:

Have made up my mind now. No takeover for the foreseeable. I'm afraid we are all going to have to accept the situation and just get behind Bow, JJ and the team. Whatever is occurring of the pitch is beyond out influence. Judging by the lack of posts on here many have also given up speculating.

Disagree with your assertion " is beyond our influence". The reduction in match day revenue has hit RD hard, as judged by the cost cutting exercises recently carried out, amidst much negative press. I believe we must keep our foot on the austerity pedal and I for one will not return to The Valley until there is a change of ownership.
    It's not hit him hard at all. He's just reduced our budget to match the reduction in income. Indeed he might be cutting off field budgets just to prove a point, it's certainly not because he's feeling the squeeze personally.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

addick05 said:

It's not hit him hard at all. He's just reduced our budget to match the reduction in income. Indeed he might be cutting off field budgets just to prove a point, it's certainly not because he's feeling the squeeze personally.
    Exactly my point. Therefore whether you boycott or not, whether you buy a programme or merchandise or not, in the grand scheme of things it matters not a jot to him. Yes, supporters, CARD and the Trust have annoyed and embarrassed him but they will not force his hand.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

PeterGage said:

addick05 said:

Exactly my point. Therefore whether you boycott or not, whether you buy a programme or merchandise or not, in the grand scheme of things it matters not a jot to him. Yes, supporters, CARD and the Trust have annoyed and embarrassed him but they will not force his hand.
    ...and talking about CARD...are we know finished with protesting or are we waiting for news from both the fans forum and EFL meetings?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you were selling a company that was losing money wouldn’t you be looking for savings?
  • Options
    razil said:

If you were selling a company that was losing money wouldn’t you be looking for savings?

He's been doing it from day 1.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

PeterGage said:

addick05 said:

That would be true for me and I suspect you as well. Your assumption that, because RD has a lot of money, he thinks differently to us, whereas all that I have read and the reports of those who have worked with millionaires is that they are even more paranoid about keeping their money. It's not what it can buy them so much as they made the money and they want to make more.

So on that count I make you wrong.

We also know he finds it impossible to admit he is wrong and having to admit this to his rich mates will be giving him nightmares for far more that 1.5% of days per year.

If we keep up the pressure he will crack (like he has done on Tuesdays recently) but he will never ever admit we forced him.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

For several weeks I have been watching the comments on this thread about page number milestones. Would the sale go through by page 1000? Page 1100? Page 1111? Obviously each of these were passed without a change of ownership.

But it struck me that the important milestone - for me, at least - is closer to home. I now have 9,251 CL points. 749 more and the sale will go through.

FACT.

Thank you to @NorthheathAddick for providing me with my 10,000th point. I must say I like the special features that open up once you reach 10,000 - nice touch, CL.

Anyway, the sale can officially go ahead now. Stand by for announcements later.
  • Options
    Hex said:

addick05 said:

PeterGage said:

addick05 said:

That would be true for me and I suspect you as well. Your assumption that, because RD has a lot of money, he thinks differently to us, whereas all that I have read and the reports of those who have worked with millionaires is that they are even more paranoid about keeping their money. It's not what it can buy them so much as they made the money and they want to make more.

So on that count I make you wrong.

We also know he finds it impossible to admit he is wrong and having to admit this to his rich mates will be giving him nightmares for far more that 1.5% of days per year.

If we keep up the pressure he will crack (like he has done on Tuesdays recently) but he will never ever admit we forced him.
    I can only pray you are right. I guess my comments are born out of the sheer frustration at all that has been (or not been) going on regarding the "imminent" sale of the club for so long now. I can only speak from a personal perspective and fully understand those who cannot bring themselves to go to The Valley while this cancer is within the club.
    However, I also feel I have to support Bow, JJ and the team. It's our team after all and they are giving their all to try and get back to where we belong. I can't remember the last time I bought a programme or any other merchandise, just my match-day ticket.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

addick05 said:

Do you honestly believe those cut-backs wouldn't have happened without the boycotts?

Madness.
    They happened because of the boycotts yes, but that wasn't the point of the boycotts surely? If 1000 fewer people turn up and he lays off a couple of accounts staff and sells Aribo to compensate, that's not actually an improvement.
  • Options
    razil said:

If I was serious about selling, I’d be asking a serious price and not quoting fantasy figures.

What Duchâtelet is doing is spite. Costs at a professional club come down to ambition and management. Unfortunately, he has neither and that’s been a bad combination for him and us. Ironically, Bowyer & Jacko are delivering despite no backing. Hopefully, this nightmare ends soon.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

PeterGage said:

addick05 said:

Do you honestly believe those cut-backs wouldn't have happened without the boycotts?

Madness.
    They happened because of the boycotts yes, but that wasn't the point of the boycotts surely? If 1000 fewer people turn up and he lays off a couple of accounts staff and sells Aribo to compensate, that's not actually an improvement.
    He’s going to run with the fewest and cheapest number of administrative staff he thinks he can get away with regardless, because even if he could operate with zero non-football staff he would still be losing money hand over fist. He’s not going to think “oh good I’ll take on a couple of people in accounts” because attendances go up a few hundred or vice versa.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    T_C_E said:

PeterGage said:

addick05 said:

Madness.
    I really don't believe he gives a flying feck what happens on the pitch, if only 5,000 fans turned up and spent 90 minutes eating and drinking he'd rather that than have 10,000 watching a game of football and spending nothing. Zero atmosphere at St Truiden seats covered with advertising, 40 Charlton asked to be quiet because we promised not to sing protest songs while the games was on, that gives you a clue to how loud it is, players voices heard the whole place is soulless. Heated concourse separated by glass doors with a disc type music at one end, complete with dim lights and laser disco lighting, the other end a quieter with tv's on the walls type lounge, table service staff in short sleeve shirts clearing tables as people occasionally glance up from the table to see what maybe happening on the pitch outside. Any atmosphere there maybe occasionally drifting down when the doors open as someone else comes in to get a drink. I'm at an age I like a bit of comfort, but when I went there I wanted to be proved wrong, I wanted to find out my first impression that this guy just wanted to screw as much out of our club with as little investment as possible was wide of the mark. What I did find was there were quite a lot of people that thought the same way as me! He saw our F.C. as London nightclub or more to the point a cash machine and he shouldn't be allowed to succeed.
    The ancillary revenue is trivial next to the ticket revenue. You would always want more people buying tickets and nothing else rather than a smaller number eating and drinking, because with food and drink there is a substantial cost to every sale and with tickets there isn’t.
  • Options
    It's like waiting for Xmas......... Just another hour until to mad Tuesday ;-)
  • Options

PeterGage said:

addick05 said:

Madness.
    They would happen anyway。
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Welcome to Charlton Mike Ashley :wink:

Many a true word spoken in jest...........
  • Options
    Does any of our "ITK" crowd know anything of use at all?
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

also if we are promoted.. he might get near what he wants... could be a win/win??

If we get promoted he’ll just ask for even more money.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

fans turned up and spent 90 minutes eating and drinking

Bloody hell thats slow eating!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Does any of our "ITK" crowd know anything of use at all?

Yes, no takeover will happen and Roland will still own us in 2019.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!