Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Valley11 said:

Just read the SLP article with Bowyer talking about (probably) losing BFG and Magennis, and the total lack of clarity over contracts for Aribo and Fosu.
    Then you look at the squad and see how totally threadbare it is even with those players.
    Plus no ceo, cfo etc etc

Just when you thought a RD pre season couldn’t be any worse than the last few. What a mess.

And the biggest worry is; this does not make me think a takeover is close.
    If new owners were all but ready to sign then surely players would be told they’d be looked after?

What the hell is the hold up?

Sorry. What is the Aribo/Fosu issue?
  • Options

Valley11 said:

Just read the SLP article with Bowyer talking about (probably) losing BFG and Magennis, and the total lack of clarity over contracts for Aribo and Fosu.
    Then you look at the squad and see how totally threadbare it is even with those players.
    Plus no ceo, cfo etc etc

Just when you thought a RD pre season couldn’t be any worse than the last few. What a mess.

If new owners were all but ready to sign then surely players would be told they’d be looked after?

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-confirms-interest-in-duo-and-cant-make-promises-over-their-future/

Bowyer was unable to provide updates on the contract offers made to winger Tariqe Fosu and midfielder Joe Aribo.

He said: “I know they have been offered but I don’t know what the plans are – that is between the owner, the agent and the players. I don’t get involved in all that.

“I only say who I think our assets are, I was asked who are assets are, and I told him [Roland Duchatelet] that. I’m sure something will get sorted at some stage.”
  • Options
    So today’s the day of our next “deadline”. Colin’s “positive news” on Wednesday nicely ties in with the fans forum, where there will surely be some comments on the progress of the takeover.
  • Options
    Or lack of progress
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Valley11 said:

Plus no ceo, cfo etc etc

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-confirms-interest-in-duo-and-cant-make-promises-over-their-future/

Bowyer was unable to provide updates on the contract offers made to winger Tariqe Fosu and midfielder Joe Aribo.

He said: “I know they have been offered but I don’t know what the plans are – that is between the owner, the agent and the players. I don’t get involved in all that.

“I only say who I think our assets are, I was asked who are assets are, and I told him [Roland Duchatelet] that. I’m sure something will get sorted at some stage.”
    So Bowyer is purely first team coach and not manager. If we lose Fosu, Bauer and Magennis we are screwed. We won’t be replacing with like quality and the already threadbare squad won’t have a chance of coping.

• Options

Has the Fans Forum now joined the Secret Society with the East Kent Addicks?

East Kent Addicks, those were the days :) Target 10,000, supporters clubs meetings in the services club in Chatham with Mick E.... Really felt like a great club then that was buzzing and together, i suppose the return to the valley and the halo effect. Really miss those days.
  • Options
    When we start receiving lessons in governance from Millwall it becomes evident how rotten to the core RDs tenure has become.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/you-need-to-talk-posh-in-the-boardroon-and-proper-geezer-to-the-fans/
  • Options
    Danny Dyer as Comms Manager perhaps
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Cast iron fact, I’ve just learned that Simon Walton is NOT the mysterious British consortium and therefore he is not our saviour...

None of the Dowie signings saved us!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

To be fair, Bowyer is only a caretaker, and hardly has the experience to be negotiating contracts and transfers with agents, players and other clubs anyway. I doubt Mourinho discusses contract financial terms with his players either.

The problems isn't that Bowyer isn't involved, but rather that Roland is involved...

Never going to get that experience then is he. He should be involved if only as part of his growth as manager.

• Options
    Do managers negotiate contracts or get involved beyond deciding who they want to keep?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Do managers negotiate contracts or get involved beyond deciding who they want to keep?

Perhaps not the nitty gritty of a contract but certainly more involved than Bow is letting on.

• Options
    Any normal owner would already know who the assets are, but RD has to be told, what a guy, the great saviour of our club
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Curbishley didn't. It made it easier to drop a player if he didn't perform...
  • Options

Scoham said:

Curbishley didn't. It made it easier to drop a player if he didn't perform...
    Then again Curbs wasn't a caretaker and had a proper CEO working with him.

We can't, in fairness, blame Bowyer for the abnormal situation the club is in.
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:

You need to watch the video of a day in the life of Chris wilder during the transfer window and then see how much managers are involved with it all

It’s one of the myriad reasons that Charlton are the basket case club we are. We have an interfering owner who appoints nobody’s to do the job that is integral to the manager getting it right.

All very well at the top level where you are buying multi million pound players and you know the quality you are getting. Not so for our end with freebies and cast offs. The managers who do well at our level know the lower leagues and players in it. Choose those that fit what they want in terms of football and character.

Could you imagine Curbs or Powell not being involved in what “the plans are” it’s ludicrous.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Compare one manager clambering over the tall fence outside a player's house in order to talk to him and persuade him it's worth sitting down to watch a video of the last 25 years of Charlton's history, before persuading him to sign a contract, to "I don’t get involved in all that".

Players, surely, sign for a Manager as much as they do a club. That's why Paolo Di Canio was persuaded to play at the Valley. And why it's utterly depressing we don't have a football figurehead securing our better players on long-term contracts and signing additions and, instead, we have a short-term trainer looking after bleep tests weight loss, while telling his boss which players might be worth a few quid if they're sold quick sharp.

Bowyer could be a good manager. That's what makes it so frustrating that he hasn't either been given the job or been replaced.
  • Options
    Bowyer's redoubt is 'it is what it is'.
    If Bowyer is obliged to play Tony Keohane as a central defender, he can smile winningly, and with that cheeky eye twinkle and down to earth tone he can simply say 'it is what it is'.
    Sorted.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Scoham said:

Compare one manager clambering over the tall fence outside a player's house in order to talk to him and persuade him it's worth sitting down to watch a video of the last 25 years of Charlton's history, before persuading him to sign a contract, to "I don’t get involved in all that".

Players, surely, sign for a Manager as much as they do a club. That's why Paolo Di Canio was persuaded to play at the Valley. And why it's utterly depressing we don't have a football figurehead securing our better players on long-term contracts and signing additions and, instead, we have a short-term trainer looking after bleep tests weight loss, while telling his boss which players might be worth a few quid if they're sold quick sharp.

Bowyer could be a good manager. That's what makes it so frustrating that he hasn't either been given the job or been replaced.
    But no Charlton manager can do that until the takeover is complete, that's the reality

Bowyer could sell himself, but any potential signing knows that if/once the takeover happens, everything could change, and we could have someone else in charge
  • Options

Chizz said:

Scoham said:

But no Charlton manager can do that until the takeover is complete, that's the reality

Bowyer could sell himself, but any potential signing knows that if/once the takeover happens, everything could change, and we could have someone else in charge
    That's kind of the point I'm making. The owner shouldn't allow the club to be in the position where it hasn't got a proper manager.
  • Options

With the transfer window arrangements I don’t think it’s tenable to start the season (having ended the previous one) with a caretaker manager. because of the limitations it places on recruitment and retention, over and above budgetary ones.

Duchatelet is responsible for this situation, but I don’t think others should go along with it.

What does anyone expect, from this completely deranged, clueless owner, completely detached from any football club common sense
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Scoham said:

That's kind of the point I'm making. The owner shouldn't allow the club to be in the position where it hasn't got a proper manager.
    But that's entirely down to the delay in the takeover, that's the problem holding EVERYTHING back at the moment.

With that in limbo, I'm not sure what else RD could do than keep Bowyer as a caretaker, it would be ridiculous if Bowyer was given a 2 year contract, only to be removed by the Aussies a month later.
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!