Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Angling.......Bloodsport?

Comments

• The fish that come out of the carp lakes that I know over here are fed all year with top quality pellet, have the water checked every 3 months, get a thorough examination when they're caught to the point where a Betadine type ointment is put on the wound where the hook was and for all that each fish comes out a max of about 2 to 3 times per year (if at all).

Sounds like fish paradise!! Is there a fishy waiting list available where they can stick their paw gill print whilst waiting for luxury transportation from the likes of the Grand Union and River Lea?
  • I suppose it depends on what you do with the fish, do you put them back or club them over the head and sell them at the market?

Why are you Vegan, if it's because of animal rights, then why are you fishing?

In my opinion any harm to animals at any level, is wrong!

So, yes a blood sport!</blockqu

I became a Vegan to try and reverse my Diabetes.
    Over the past 10 months one of my two diabetic medications has been removed totally from my drugs list altogether and the other ( Metformin) has been reduced by two thirds.
    I am also now off of statins as my cholesterol level is now 2.3, plus I have lost over two stone in weight to boot.
    However whilst not initially going Vegan because of animal rights issues it has made me more aware of these things as time has gone by.
    I think I can no longer continue to think of fishing as not being a blood sport and will not be applying for my licence this season.
    Nobody can look in the mirror and call themselves an animal lover if they consume animal products. Just saying, I am sure you have your own views on the subject LOL.

• edited April 2017
    Stevelamb said:

I suppose it depends on what you do with the fish, do you put them back or club them over the head and sell them at the market?

So, yes a blood sport!

I became a Vegan to try and reverse my Diabetes.
    Over the past 10 months one of my two diabetic medications has been removed totally from my drugs list altogether and the other ( Metformin) has been reduced by two thirds.
    I am also now off of statins as my cholesterol level is now 2.3, plus I have lost over two stone in weight to boot.
    However whilst not initially going Vegan because of animal rights issues it has made me more aware of these things as time has gone by.
    I think I can no longer continue to think of fishing as not being a blood sport and will not be applying for my licence this season.
    Nobody can look in the mirror and call themselves an animal lover if they consume animal products. Just saying, I am sure you have your own views on the subject LOL.
    Oh no he didn't :lol:

I am an animal lover, problem is I love them in different ways. Certain typical pets I love for those reasons, certain others I love for how they taste...

I won't lie and say I haven't considered vegetarianism or veganism... ok I would never consider being Vegan, but still!

I wouldn't mind being a vegetarian, though that just makes it so much harder to get a healthy Macro mix of Carbs, Protein and Fats.

I would definitely consider being a white meat & fowl only flexitarian.
  • seth plum said:

I assume the purpose of Angling is to trick or entice a fish to swallow or eat a metallic barbed hook, and to then be yanked from their environment.
    Forgive me if I don't see the attraction of this activity, and to call it a sport is surely self delusion. It is either the equivalent of the New Zealand rugby team taking on St Winifreds U10 girls rugby team, or if it is angler against angler the fish are the victims used to keep a tally.
    I can definitely see the attraction of getting out to the peace and tranquility of our beautiful countryside, but it seems a shame to me that it should include the oppression of an animal.

OK everybody, that is what I think, fill your boots.

Agreed

I'm far from the same school of thought as Anna_Kissed or that chap in the fiver thread who has a cat as a profile picture, but I would never hurt an animal for sport.
  • Stevelamb said:

I am a Vegan but also an Angler and the two it would seem are incompatible.
    Answers please by midnight on June 15th.

What's the opposite of nominative determinism? Because I think you suffer from it.
  • The fish that come out of the carp lakes that I know over here are fed all year with top quality pellet, have the water checked every 3 months, get a thorough examination when they're caught to the point where a Betadine type ointment is put on the wound where the hook was and for all that each fish comes out a max of about 2 to 3 times per year (if at all).

Sounds like fish paradise!! Is there a fishy waiting list available where they can stick their paw gill print whilst waiting for luxury transportation from the likes of the Grand Union and River Lea?
    The point is Baz, give an animal a value, then they tend to be looked after. Sad. but true mate
  • edited April 2017

The fish that come out of the carp lakes that I know over here are fed all year with top quality pellet, have the water checked every 3 months, get a thorough examination when they're caught to the point where a Betadine type ointment is put on the wound where the hook was and for all that each fish comes out a max of about 2 to 3 times per year (if at all).

Maybe they're a bit Koi.
    He bought some koi from a fish farmer once, but within a week the lakes were full of broken down cars and shopping trolleys and his pet lab was pregnant, when he enquired what sort of koi they were, apparently they were didi koi
    The offended on behalf of other bed wetters will be along as soon as their nap is over, and then you'll be sorry.
  • I went fishing once. Smacking the fish until they died felt a bit wrong so I've not done it since. Also, it was in a special fishing pool, so it's not like they had a chance (although on the flipside, they were bred to be fished, so it wasn't like I was defishing a natural habitat, which is my main concern regarding fishing)
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry, was that not bedwetty enough? ALL YOU MONSTERS SHOULD LEARN TO KNIT INSTEAD, there, that'll do
  • edited April 2017
    Leuth said:

I went fishing once. Smacking the fish until they died felt a bit wrong so I've not done it since. Also, it was in a special fishing pool, so it's not like they had a chance (although on the flipside, they were bred to be fished, so it wasn't like I was defishing a natural habitat, which is my main concern regarding fishing)

Out of interest why did you kill it? Was it an edible species?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Leuth said:

I went fishing once. Smacking the fish until they died felt a bit wrong so I've not done it since. Also, it was in a special fishing pool, so it's not like they had a chance (although on the flipside, they were bred to be fished, so it wasn't like I was defishing a natural habitat, which is my main concern regarding fishing)

Out of interest why did you kill it? Was it an edible species?
    Yeah they were all turned into gefilte fish by the family I was staying with. Really tasty tbf
  • When I go fishing, its often true that the only cruel thing I can manage to do is drown a few maggots.
  • edited April 2017
    I was so disgusted by the cruelty of fishing that I gave it up ten years ago for Bullfighting.

I tried barebaiting once but was arrested for indecent exposure
  • Leuth said:

Sorry, was that not bedwetty enough? ALL YOU MONSTERS SHOULD LEARN TO KNIT INSTEAD, there, that'll do

you've obviously never seen a sheep shivering on a Cumbrian hillside.
    Heartless bastard.
  • Good on you for deciding not to renew your fishing licence, @Stevelamb.
    No-one would wish to have a hook through our face (or be caught up in a net) and suffocated.
    The non-biodegradable nylon line used for angling can (and does) become tangled in trees or other vegetation, and is sometimes left on riverbanks, where it is a threat to wildlife. Birds and ducks become trapped, often fatally, in the discarded line. Many swans have been found with anglers’ hooks embedded in their throats and stomachs from swallowing discarded tackle. (I know; I've collected discarded line at the coast and have more than once taken an injured swan to the vet).
    Best to leave the fish alone, say I.
  • Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Sorry, was that not bedwetty enough? ALL YOU MONSTERS SHOULD LEARN TO KNIT INSTEAD, there, that'll do

I think you missed this one, it was the Didi Koi pun........not the fact that its about very very tasty fish.
  • Good on you for deciding not to renew your fishing licence, @Stevelamb.
    No-one would wish to have a hook through our face (or be caught up in a net) and suffocated.
    The non-biodegradable nylon line used for angling can (and does) become tangled in trees or other vegetation, and is sometimes left on riverbanks, where it is a threat to wildlife. Birds and ducks become trapped, often fatally, in the discarded line. Many swans have been found with anglers’ hooks embedded in their throats and stomachs from swallowing discarded tackle. (I know; I've collected discarded line at the coast and have more than once taken an injured swan to the vet).
    Best to leave the fish alone, say I.

This.
  • Leuth said:

It's fine. Fish don't even have brains

fish especially large carp are very clever
    Maybe compared to other fish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

I think you missed this one, it was the Didi Koi pun........not the fact that its about very very tasty fish.
    So I guess not enough people bit, so you had to highlight it again to aim for your 'bedwetty' reaction.
  • I like the Michael Holding approach to fishing.

'I don't use any bait. When I go fishing I don't want to be disturbed.'
  • Greenie said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

So I guess not enough people bit, so you had to highlight it again to aim for your 'bedwetty' reaction.
    I Like what you did there...

Yep thats exactly why I did it, nothing to do with a poster getting the wrong end of the fish.
    But thanks for highlighting the bedwetters for me, good work.
  • edited April 2017
    Stevelamb said:

I suppose it depends on what you do with the fish, do you put them back or club them over the head and sell them at the market?

So, yes a blood sport!

Sorry to hear you had to become vegan because of Diabetes, wish you well in your efforts to control it.

But and this may sound crass, at least through your illness, it gave you new insight on an important issue, that's a definite positive.

Just because the fish are well treated and maintained, doesn't make it okay to stick a hook in their mouth.

Don't they say, one common denominator that is often found in serial killers, is their cruelty to animals.

"Where were you on the night of......."<(;-)>
  • edited April 2017

The fish that come out of the carp lakes that I know over here are fed all year with top quality pellet, have the water checked every 3 months, get a thorough examination when they're caught to the point where a Betadine type ointment is put on the wound where the hook was and for all that each fish comes out a max of about 2 to 3 times per year (if at all).

Just because the fish are well treated and maintained, doesn't make it okay to stick a hook in their mouth.

Don't they say, one common denominator that is often found in serial killers, is their cruelty to animals.

"Where were you on the night of......."<(;-)>
    "Jim Rose, professor of zoology and physiology at the University of Wisconsin, who led the project, said: ‘In spite of large injections of acid or bee venom, that would cause severe pain to a human, the trout showed remarkably little effect.’
    Fish also resumed normal activity within minutes of surgical procedures, as well as after being caught and released back into the water. Prof Rose added: ‘It is highly improbable that fish can experience pain."

A fish lacks a developed central nervous system and seemingly feels as much pain as a lettuce if cut. Eating a lettuce isn't cruel by reference to the belief system of vegetarianism because a convenient line is drawn between life which it is cruel to exploit and life which, because it cannot be compared to the human experience of life, has no value which protects it from being exploited to infinity. A vegetarian does not question his/her ethics by eating the seeds of plants before the life has even had the chance to sprout, grow and produce flowers to feed the bees and butterflies. How cruel, how inconsiderate to nature, to starve it of its life force.

Cruelty in the eyes of vegetarians is widely drawn, until it abruptly stops when they hit their arbitrary perception of valid lifeforms, where their ethical values would otherwise be challenged by their own logic.

It is a belief system based on arbitrary rules that define the belief system, like Judaism and Islam. For that reason vegetarians and vegans have no more right than religious extremists to preach that non-conformists are committing evil and are going to hell.

Preaching against angling as a cruel sport is the equivalent of a Jehovah Witnesses knocking on my door telling me I am sinful. Sorry, I don't want to be converted, I don't share your belief system.

Shuts door and walks away........and isn't responding to anymore knocks, even if they are wind-ups.

All kinds of Dippenhall Mic Drops.

and the Vegans and animal rights warriors:
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pain_in_fish

This wiki article suggests that it is much more complex than suggested above.