Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• 2121 said:
    In rugby the onfield ref and tmo both talk and discuss and the onfield seems like he has the ultimate decision and uses a certain degree of discretion and reasonableness to form a decision, eg when hard to see if a ball is grounded for a try. There are dubious and unclear decisions... ie England's try vs all blacks last year... 
    Everyone just seems to get on with it and respect the refs decision. 

The respect of the referee is a common theme in rugby anyway which helps. That’s not the case in football, and that’s just the players. Put pundits, fans and the media on top and everything with VAR is being scrutinised. 
  • Off_it said:
    Thing is, people were constantly moaning and calling for the introduction of technology. Now they are moaning and saying it’s ruining football because you can’t celebrate a goal etc. In that respect you cannot have it both ways. 

You do realise that these probably weren’t the same people, don’t you?
    Except that’s not true. I was looking on twitter and saw people complaining about VAR. It was pointed out that previously they wanted technology. My point was nobody really knew how it was going to work and that either way there is going to be someone moaning. 
    Fair enough. For what it's worth, I always thought it was gonna be shit.

Not that I'm against the idea of using technology to overturn howlers, but I just knew it would be used as it is now.

• Interesting take on the situation by IFAB

http://bbc.in/2SFM6pG
  • Ross said:
    Interesting take on the situation by IFAB

http://bbc.in/2SFM6pG
    That all seems sensible, but why oh why didnt they see this coming and why has it taken so long to even acknowledge the issue?
  • Why do we have to wait until next season to put things right?
  • Am I right in saying that the wolves goal was disallowed because his hand was offside, if that's the case he can't score with his hand so why was it offside.... 
  • Why do we have to wait until next season to put things right?
    Even stupid rules can't be changed midseason, that'd be hugely unfair.
  • Am I right in saying that the wolves goal was disallowed because his hand was offside, if that's the case he can't score with his hand so why was it offside.... 
    no. The photo shows his hand offside but the line was measured to his foot. Which was millimetres ahead
  • I keep going back to the same question with offside VAR calls. 

How many frames is the ball in contact with the foot of the passer, and who decides which frame to use when measuring these millimetre decisions. 
  • Thanks steve
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    Off_it said:cafcfan1990 said:
    Thing is, people were constantly moaning and calling for the introduction of technology. Now they are moaning and saying it’s ruining football because you can’t celebrate a goal etc. In that respect you cannot have it both ways. 

You do realise that these probably weren’t the same people, don’t you?
    Except that’s not true. I was looking on twitter and saw people complaining about VAR. It was pointed out that previously they wanted technology. My point was nobody really knew how it was going to work and that either way there is going to be someone moaning. 
    You are allowed to change your mind. Especially when presented with evidence. 

For the record, like @Off_it , I anticipated the problems - why those paid to do so couldn't, god only knows. 
  • edited February 2020
    WOW!!... VAR in this Spurs v Man City game!!

Penalty awarded to Man City, game continued for about 3mins after the decision whilst the VAR checked it

Finally got awarded - Lloris saved it, he's then gone diving in to clear the ball (Sterling tried getting on the end of it)

VAR again, no penalty!!
  • Excelling itself!!
  • To be far VAR was used in the right sense there!!
  • WOW!!... VAR in this Spurs v Man City game!!

Penalty awarded to Man City, game continued for about 3mins after the decision whilst the VAR checked it

Finally got awarded - Lloris saved it, he's then gone diving in to clear the ball (Sterling tried getting on the end of it)

VAR again, no penalty!!
    How on earth did it take so long to adjudicate on a clear penalty against Aurier? 

VAR again, no penalty!!
    How on earth did it take so long to adjudicate on a clear penalty against Aurier? 
    Yeah that was ridiculous - I didnt understand is as during live viewing I thought Aurier got the ball

First replay we saw on SKY it was a clear penalty

VAR again, no penalty!!
    Yeah that was ridiculous - I didnt understand is as during live viewing I thought Aurier got the ball

First replay we saw on SKY it was a clear penalty
    I think that they are just terrified of making the wrong call so they watch it over and over again and then look it again from every possible angle. It's a case of overkill and you could tell that the players knew that it was still being looked at and were going through the motions. Ridiculous. 

VAR again, no penalty!!
    Again had spurs got a legitimate goal in the interim period it would have been chalked off... 
  • No time is added on for the "null" period while VAR is pontificating!

Does that make sense?   
  • Sponsored links:

• Palace haven't had a penalty for ages since VAR was introduced. 
  • edited February 2020
    No time is added on for the "null" period while VAR is pontificating!

Does that make sense?   
    I mentioned that in the pub. Surely those two or three minutes become null and void and should be added on?

Also - when did they decide that VAR would not be used for goalkeepers coming off their line at penalties anymore? Those that advocate VAR as a great idea cannot be happy with that, surely? It is a very simple and quick way to make sure that particular decision is right 100% of the time, as VAR fans wish.     

Does that make sense?   
    I mentioned that in the pub. Surely those two or three minutes become null and void and should be added on.

Also - when did they decide that VAR would not be used for goalkeepers coming off their line at penalties anymore? Those that advocate VAR as a great idea cannot be happy with that, surely? It is a very simple and quick way to make sure that particular decision is right 100% of the time, as VAR fans wish.     
    Apparently the Premier League decided against using VAR to rule on Goalkeepers coming off the line

God knows why!! - Its another strange aspect that Leagues can cherry pick what its used for, rather than everyone adhering to the same rules

Does that make sense?   
    I mentioned that in the pub. Surely those two or three minutes become null and void and should be added on.

Apparently the Premier League decided against using VAR to rule on Goalkeepers coming off the line

God knows why!! - Its another strange aspect that Leagues can cherry pick what its used for, rather than everyone adhering to the same rules
    Which is why I repeat my mantra, "all or nothing", FA. I have yet to be persuaded that it should, or could be "all". 
  • Re: the VAR in the Spurs/City game...

1. Sterling should have seen red for his tackle on Alli.  Arsenal and Norwich have had sending offs for the same thing in the last 6 weeks as two that spring to mind.

2. Definite pen, no arguments with that.  Aurier's brain turns to mush in his own box again.

3. Lloris was off his line, should have been a retake.

4. On the rebound, its either a penalty or Sterling has to be booked for diving.  Lloris pulled his hands away, Mike Dean gets it right but where's the yellow card?

All I want is some consistency.
  • Apparently Premier League clubs want to introduce a “10cm leeway” for offside decisions next season.

so instead of these endless discussions if a player is 1cm offside or not, now we’ll have the same debate over 10/11cms

absolute lunacy 
  • Apparently Premier League clubs want to introduce a “10cm leeway” for offside decisions next season.

so instead of these endless discussions if a player is 1cm offside or not, now we’ll have the same debate over 10/11cms

absolute lunacy 
    3.93 inches now we have left the EU... 

absolute lunacy 

I’d argue that if it’s deemed to be “umpire’s call” in these situations where it’s within 10cm, then it’s an improvement.
    Yes, there will be marginal “is it 10cm or 11cm?” decisions, but at least they’ll be outside what could be considered a ‘reasonable’ margin of error.
    The issue right now is that a player who is 1cm offside can’t realistically be considered a “clear and obvious error” which is what I thought VAR was supposed to be about.

absolute lunacy 

I’d argue that if it’s deemed to be “umpire’s call” in these situations where it’s within 10cm, then it’s an improvement.
    Yes, there will be marginal “is it 10cm or 11cm?” decisions, but at least they’ll be outside what could be considered a ‘reasonable’ margin of error.
    The issue right now is that a player who is 1cm offside can’t realistically be considered a “clear and obvious error” which is what I thought VAR was supposed to be about.
    Agree, a fag paper offside or 10 cm is a big difference....