Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Just seen a crazy penalty awarded in the Coppa Italia game 89th minute AC Milan 1-0 ahead and Juventus somehow get a penalty with a ridiculous VAR decision, will try and find a video
  • Italian football's governing body, the FIGC, has now asked Fifa for a system where clubs can challenge decisions and ask for technology to intervene.

It comes after a number of Serie A clubs requested the FIGC made changes to allow an on-field review by teams.

The FIGC believes managers should be allowed to challenge decisions like in some other sports.

In top-level tennis events, players get three challenges per set where they can ask for close line calls to be reviewed, while teams can also ask for reviews in international cricket.

The FIGC says it is "convinced that, by continuing the path already undertaken, football can be brought into a dimension ever closer to the millions of fans, without affecting the referee's authority but rather by providing him with concrete tools".

It has informally put the idea to Fifa's rule-making body, the International Football Association Board (Ifab), and says it is ready to experiment with the use of challenges.

• What a load of shite.
    They make the quickest decision ever and get it wrong.

Fred pushed Azpilicueta originally.
    Absolute tosspots.
  • What a load of shite.
    They make the quickest decision ever and get it wrong.

Fred pushed Azpilicueta originally.
    Absolute tosspots.
    It helps Man Utd that Azpilicueta puts his hands out, if the Chelsea player doesnt do that then its not a clear push into the back of Williams

Of course you can argue that Cesar is just acting instinctively by putting his arms out in expectation of falling over 
  • And how was McGuire's foot in the nuts not a straight red?
  • edited February 2020
    Not Chelsea's night!! - Saw the replay and straight away thought he was offside

That wasnt even scandalous in terms of those we've seen this season!!
  • Maguire should have been off and chelsea first goal should have stood or penalty. How do they still get it wrong?! 
    Still... better than chanpionship refs lol
  • Don’t like Man Utd but hate Chelsea, great decisions in my book😋
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Not sure how a qualified ref with several looks at a replay makes those kind of decisions. It's not the fault of VAR, it's the fault of the clowns operating it.

Another thing that annoys me is why do the refs never use the pitchside monitor to check things? They rely completely on what they're being told. As we saw in the Wolves game the other night, the ref didn't even know why the goal had been disallowed, just telling Coady "i was told to disallow it". How about go and check for yourself?! As Coady then said to him "so you're the ref and you don't even know why you've fucking disallowed it". Sums it all up.

Also regarding last night, i've seen that both the main ref and the VAR ref are both from Manchester. I know you can be from Manchester and not support United, but i didn't think refs from the same area as the team playing was allowed? 
  • Uboat said:
    So glad we play in a division where you have a quick look at the lino after we've scored and crack on with the celebrating. 
    But for how long? Surely they’ll introduce it in the Championship too in the near future.
  • Under VAR "difficult" decisions are no more consistent than without VAR.

Easy decisions are usually correct but take about ten times longer to come to the same answer!

So where's the advantage?

Would still prefer to have an extra "VAR official" who has a maximum of fifteen seconds to say to the ref -  "You've definitely got that wrong mate - trust me - you don't need to look - just change your decision." 

That would stop the "Maradona , Henry" incidents which is what this was supposed to be all about! 

• Danepak said:
    Uboat said:
    So glad we play in a division where you have a quick look at the lino after we've scored and crack on with the celebrating. 
    But for how long? Surely they’ll introduce it in the Championship too in the near future.
    I'm sure they will in the next couple of years, but if i was the EFL i'd be sitting back and waiting for the Premier league to get it right first.
  • Last night's one with Maguire was really weird because it was resolved so quickly. Once the ref had calmed everyone down and decided there was no case to answer, VAR had already flashed up with no decision seconds after play had restarted. There's no way they had a proper look at that in that time, and if they had they would have seen the all-too rare but still fully punishable dick kick from Maguire. I honestly can't fathom how that wasn't a red, other than PL refs being under pressure to not use VAR to pick up on flash points like that that aren't directly related to in-match play. Big game between two big teams, maybe they don't want to see reds for things refs have missed that are off the ball (and yet directly on the ball) silliness. Who knows.
  • I supported the introduction of VAR, but as Chris from Sidcup said it has to be implemented correctly and it is not.

Either let the ref look pitchside and decide or get rid of it. 
  • I supported the introduction of VAR, but as Chris from Sidcup said it has to be implemented correctly and it is not.

This is where I’m at, that and the millimetre offside rule and the defender v attacker hand ball rule!
    VAR worked great in the World Cup, but the idiots who are in charge have messed it up..... 
  • They should have a ballboy run over to the ref with an ipad after he calls for var to save 10 seconds... oh wait there no signal! 

I still think it should be that the captain only has 3 calls per game. Would make it interesting.... and his team/divers would need to be honest to him. 
  • Greenie said:
    I supported the introduction of VAR, but as Chris from Sidcup said it has to be implemented correctly and it is not.

This is where I’m at, that and the millimetre offside rule and the defender v attacker hand ball rule!
    VAR worked great in the World Cup, but the idiots who are in charge have messed it up..... 
    And what was one of the main things people remember about VAR at the world cup? The refs running over to check the pitchside monitor.

Premier league refs never do this.
  • Greenie said:
    I supported the introduction of VAR, but as Chris from Sidcup said it has to be implemented correctly and it is not.

Agreed, it's ridiculous that there are 2 different handball rules, one for the attackers and one for the defenders.
  • Sponsored links:

• It died a little bit more last night with the "handballs" in the Liverpool v Man City and Sheff U v Spurs matches. Both farcical and embarrasing.
  • How many goals in the prem do you think have been disallowed by VAR? Last night's game took it up to....

50!
  • It died a little bit more last night with the "handballs" in the Liverpool v Man City and Sheff U v Spurs matches. Both farcical and embarrasing.
    I couldn't believe the Man City one. Handball should be deliberate. In this case the ball hardly touched the player on the ground & it certainly didnt give Man City any advantage.
  • jams said:
    How many goals in the prem do you think have been disallowed by VAR? Last night's game took it up to....

50!
    How many of those have been the right call due to offsides or fouls? And how many have been the wrong call due to the stupid new accidental handball rule which punishes the attacking team but not the defending team?
  • Also be curious how many were disallowed in a season pre-VAR

50-goals sound a lot but thats roughly just three goals per team
  • Surely that handball law (that was only brought in as part of VAR implementation) has to be changed?!?

• It's not the referees who are assisted by the videos so I suggest it really means:

Very annoying replays
    OR
    Varied anarchic reactions
  • edited July 2020
    How bad was that Aston Villa decision tonight?

I understand why the ref may have given it at the time, but what on earth is VAR for if it doesn't iron out blatant mistakes like that?

We all know what the United player was trying to do, but he gets it wrong and ends up stamping on the Villa blokes shin - but HE gets the foul. Unbelievable really.
  • Jesus, just seen the Southampton penalty at Everton - almost as bad. Bloke dives into the defender and is already on his way down when contact is made.
  • edited July 2020
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news/var-premier-league-fifa-ifab-rules-video-assistant-referee-a9610126.html

Fifa to take control of VAR and ensure it’s used the same across all competitions to end Premier League’s variation

Former referee Pierluigi Collina calls for a uniform use across all nations in order to avoid any confusion at international tournaments

Fifa wants Video Assistant Referee (VAR) video reviews to be applied in the same way across all competitions, as they take over direct responsibility for the system.

Issues concerning VAR have been handled primarily by the International Football Association Board (Ifab), the game's law-making body, during the system's two-year experimental phase and its introduction as part of the laws of the game.

Football’s global governing body Fifa, however, took over the role of supporting competition organisers with the implementation of VAR from 1 July.

Pierluigi Collina, the Italian former World Cup referee and chairman of Fifa's Referees' Committee, told Reuters the move was a "natural transition".

"Ifab as an organisation has the duty to govern the laws of football, including VAR and the protocol and regulations. Once the laws of the game are set, Ifab’s job is over," he said.

"It is then Fifa that deals with referees' education around the world supporting all the member associations."

There have been some variations in the use of VAR in different competitions and national leagues, but Collina said there should be a uniform approach.

"Another responsibility of Fifa’s is to have the laws of the game implemented all over the world in the same way, there cannot be different implementation of the laws of the game in different continents or different countries. Our responsibility is to ensure that football is played in the same way all over the world.

"Can you imagine in international competition played by teams who are used to having different interpretations of the laws of the game in their domestic competition? Saying that VAR should be used in the same way all over the world is something obvious.

"Of course there can be some small differences, but the general implementation should be the same.

"It is Fifa and Ifab's responsibility to have the game played the same way across the world, for the benefit of those who are playing," he said.

The Premier League has not used VAR to check for encroachment off the line by goalkeepers during penalty kicks despite that element being part of the protocol.

Speaking generally, Collina said Fifa wanted to avoid situations where players in an international tournament faced surprise decisions.

"If something is written in the laws of the game, it has to be implemented everywhere, otherwise can you imagine the surprise of someone who is penalised for something in an international game that he is not penalised for at home?

"Maybe they would not be aware of what they can do? If something in the laws of the game doesn’t work, then it is discussed and eventually changed by Ifab," he said.