Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Your Club's Worst Player" - FourFourTwo magazine

124»

Comments

• Options
    Who was our young striker who made his first (or one of) starts against Millwall at the valley Maybe 6 or 7 years ago?
    Joe piggott?
    I know he was one of ours but I proper lost my shit with him that day.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SDAddick said:

1StevieG said:

Mikel Alonso. Living proof that the talented footballer gene wasn't evenly balanced among siblings.

I thought of mentioning him but he went from first tier Spanish football to third tier English football either when he joined us, or over the course of a year (can't remember if Tenerife were in La Liga or Segunda when he left). How bad was that cup performance that he barely even came close again? Surely there was something else to it...
    Gave away a penalty on the night and was generally all over the shop. Beaten by Brentford and if memory serves me I think Simon Francis had an off day too.....
  • Options
    Reuben Agboola anybody?
  • Options
    Thuram represents everything that is currently wrong with this club. El Khalej was by far a worse player. I've never seen anything quite like it
  • Options

Reuben Agboola anybody?

Who?
  • Options
    Halix said:

Let's be balls-pissled frank here, we could fill the entire magazine listing our worst players, personally I would add a midfielder called Smith (can't remember his first name but he had a bubble perm and played mid-70s), I always used to have a right moan when they picked him.

Just remembered it was Kevin Smith.
  • Options

Djimi Traore - Champions league to Champion Duffer. No he's not the worst ever but the medal hid a very poor defender.

When we signed him i was in Spain on holiday.
    I looked at the Liverpool website for some information on him and guess what.
    He was voted their worse ever signing.
    Almost fcud up me holiday
    & I'm sure Amdy Faye was voted the same by the Geordies
  • Options
    I could have said Johnnie Oostergard;however, he did give us one of our fave moments.
    It was against Bham. Colin Todd was sent off just before halftime for fouling Colin Powell; Archie Gemmill lost it and accused Paddy of cheating. With that our Johnnie slung Gemmill over his shoulder and carried him down the tunnel.
  • Options
    Peter Shaw for me.

signed from Non League 77-81 Played 117(5) 6 goals sounds quite decent.

He was awful and the fact he played so many games for us is a mystery to me, but perhaps its no coincidence that 77-80 was certainly a period of declining fortunes.

His relationship with the crowd got so bad I recall that Kieth Peacock in his programme notes commented that it was a pity to hear Charlton fans getting on the back of one of their own so often.

It's true however that Roland really has treated us to a constant stream of stinkers. Some so bad that they couldn't even be played enough times to earn this award. Polish Pete, come on we could even say his name, he got 3 minutes and later said he was hopelessly out of his depth.

As for Mr Thurum, he was the worst keeper I have ever seen and we have had Neil Etheridge in our team, sorry last bit may be a tad harsh, but I didn't like him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pettgra said:

I could have said Johnnie Oostergard;however, he did give us one of our fave moments.
    It was against Bham. Colin Todd was sent off just before halftime for fouling Colin Powell; Archie Gemmill lost it and accused Paddy of cheating. With that our Johnnie slung Gemmill over his shoulder and carried him down the tunnel.

He scored a pile driver of a goal away at Wrexham I seem to recall ?
  • Options

Peter Shaw for me.

He was awful and the fact he played so many games for us is a mystery to me, but perhaps its no coincidence that 77-80 was certainly a period of declining fortunes.

His relationship with the crowd got so bad I recall that Kieth Peacock in his programme notes commented that it was a pity to hear Charlton fans getting on the back of one of their own so often.

Yes Peter Shaw,I couldn't think of his name,bloody awful.
  • Options
    Shaw and Les Berry formed a good partnership that contributed to our promotion from Division 3 under Mike Bailey.
  • Options

Reuben Agboola anybody?

Who?
    Full back on one month loan from Southampton or Sunderland in our Selhurst days, think he only played one game and got injured.
  • Options
    I think it simply has to be Thurman.

Who also refused a spot on the bench for an away trip to Leeds. Not good enough and a bad stroppy attitude.

Rolands such a twat for attempting to force a player on Powell.....let alone the fact that he was enormously under par.

That arrogance is beyond any solid description.

I personally do not dig players out that give it everything but are still not good enough. It's unfortunate for them.

Simon church did not have an overall successful spell at charlton. Could be a number of factors.

He could also have been a success elsewhere.

In football, the door is mostly always open for players to start fresh somewhere else and turn their career around.

Sometimes things just click, sometimes they don't.

• Options
    Halix said:

Let's be balls-pissled frank here, we could fill the entire magazine listing our worst players, personally I would add a midfielder called Smith (can't remember his first name but he had a bubble perm and played mid-70s), I always used to have a right moan when they picked him.

Not Kevin Smith? Class player.
  • Options

Halix said:

Not Kevin Smith? Class player.
    Yes.....but what class, he was pants I'm afraid and wasn't around for long!
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Shaw and Les Berry formed a good partnership that contributed to our promotion from Division 3 under Mike Bailey.

Not just good. They were outstanding as a CD pair that season.
  • Options

iaitch said:

Agreed.....Shaw improved greatly and was well worth his place in the side eventually.
    He is also a fan and I believe has( or until recently certainly had), a season ticket in The West Upper.
  • Options

iaitch said:

Agreed.....Shaw improved greatly and was well worth his place in the side eventually.
    He is also a fan and I believe has( or until recently certainly had), a season ticket in The West Upper.

iaitch said:

Shaw became a good defender. Perhaps when the booing stopped he was able to show his true potential. Never understood the hate for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Peter Shaw for me.

It's true however that Roland really has treated us to a constant stream of stinkers. Some so bad that they couldn't even be played enough times to earn this award. Polish Pete, come on we could even say his name, he got 3 minutes and later said he was hopelessly out of his depth.

As for Mr Thurum, he was the worst keeper I have ever seen and we have had Neil Etheridge in our team, sorry last bit may be a tad harsh, but I didn't like him.

I have a different memory of Peter Shaw to this.
    Yes, he had an awful start and looked totally out of his depth.
    "We all agree, Peter Shaw is a w*****r" sang the covered end and quite likely I was joining in.
    But he played through it without complaining and with persistence and determination he eventually became an asset to the side.
    I always maintain that I learned what people meant when they used the term "character" through Peter Shaw's example.
    Besides, Andy Nelson did a lot worse than Shaw in his bargain basement dealings - Gary Churchouse anyone?
  • Options
    We all agree Charlton Athletic are magic.
  • Options
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank for me.... was on a packet and just got fatter
  • Options
    Back in those days, it was Billy Kiernan for me, could never believe he was on the team.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Reuben Agboola anybody?

Who?
    Full back on one month loan from Southampton or Sunderland in our Selhurst days, think he only played one game and got injured.

At home to Arsenal, if I remember rightly. Was tormented all afternoon, either by Rocastle or Perry Groves. Surprised we only kept the score down to 2-0 ! Never to be seen again. Ranks with Jim Stannard's one and only piss-poor appearance a few years earlier.
  • Options
    What about Bally Smart... Signed on a Non-contract basis for the Shrewsbury Cup game and then disappeared

Or Luke Holden from some Welsh Club, played one game in the JPT against Southampton on the TV?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    limeygent said:

Back in those days, it was Billy Kiernan for me, could never believe he was on the team.

He wasn't that bad.....just not anywhere near as good as Leary,Summers,Lawrie, Firmani, Lucas etc.......but he and Johnny Summers didn't get on.......or at least didn't on one particular occasion!
    For decades there was a broken green wooden wall panel in our dressing room where Johnny had pinned him up against the wall at half time one Saturday afternoon around 1959/60.
    Don't know the reason why but heard the story from Johnny's son (Johnny Jnr) many years back!
    Johnny was a very mild mannered man........for him to lose it would have been a very rare occurrence.