Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Your Club's Worst Player" - FourFourTwo magazine

Comments

• Options
    Depends how far back you look, Tony Towner?
  • Options
    Obviously get why Thuram got the nod. There's a case to be made for the players who did absolutely nothing--Anil Koc, Polish Pete, Stuart Fleetwood.

But when considering players who actually made more than one appearance, first thing I did was pull up the 2009-10 squad. A lot of contenders:
    Akpo Sodje 6 goals/41 appearances
    Leon McKenzie: 1/12
    Izale McCloud: 3/31

My personal shout goes to Tresor Kandol, who, to be fair, came into a team on a horrible run and played as a lone striker in front of five central midfielder. But he looked absolutely awful.

Honorable mention to Souleymane Diawara who seemed to have a quality mistake in him at any given moment, but after leaving us went on to play for Marseille for years with a fair amount of success.
  • Options
    I think discounting players that played less than a certain number of games isn't great criteria. I think if you complete a 90 minutes, you're in contention.

No doubt Roland would've wanted Thuram to play every game for the rest of that season, but he was so bad that he was dropped after a handful and never seen again, even under Riga.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Obviously get why Thuram got the nod. There's a case to be made for the players who did absolutely nothing--Anil Koc, Polish Pete, Stuart Fleetwood.

But when considering players who actually made more than one appearance, first thing I did was pull up the 2009-10 squad. A lot of contenders:

My personal shout goes to Tresor Kandol, who, to be fair, came into a team on a horrible run and played as a lone striker in front of five central midfielder. But he looked absolutely awful.

Honorable mention to Souleymane Diawara who seemed to have a quality mistake in him at any given moment, but after leaving us went on to play for Marseille for years with a fair amount of success.

Oh come on, who wouldn't have Tresor Kandol and Chris Dickson in their favourite Charlton XI? #DreamTeam
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Thuram only appeared 4 times. At least pick someone who played over 20 games if you want to have a decent argument

Good examples

Simon Francis
    Barry Endean
    Ralph Milne
    Amdy Faye

Is that the same Simon Francis that has played 2 seasons in the Premiership & doesn't look out of place.

cant have Ralph Milne either - he scored the winner at Old Trafford

Also thought Faye was ok - was played out of position,
  • Options
    edited March 2017

shirty5 said:

Thuram only appeared 4 times. At least pick someone who played over 20 games if you want to have a decent argument

Good examples

Simon Francis
    Barry Endean
    Ralph Milne
    Amdy Faye

Is that the same Simon Francis that has played 2 seasons in the Premiership & doesn't look out of place.

cant have Ralph Milne either - he scored the winner at Old Trafford

Also thought Faye was ok - was played out of position,
    Ralph Milne never scored the winner at Old Trafford. In fact he never scored a goal in a Charlton shirt.

I'm talking about Francis in a Charlton shirt, not what he did at other clubs.

Faye played mainly in his position of centre midfield.
  • Options

Amdy Faye. It isn't even close.

To be fair to Faye, he was hopeless at a higher level ;-)
  • Options
    I immediately thought RJ, because he just nicks a living, but Mathias Svensson springs to mind too because I thought he was pretty crap. I'm sure it was him that gave his boots to someone in the crowd once after he'd scored a rare goal
  • Options
    In recent years, to many to choose from.
  • Options
    Mike Walker
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't get how players who played hardly any games for us (Lepoint) and players who played for us in the Premier League have been mentioned. The WORST player, WORST. Technically, I assume? If so, then I pick Sodje whose ball control was just so, so bad.
  • Options
    *Akpo, btw
  • Options
    Mike Small , obvs.
  • Options
    I don't think you can go with RoJo, and this is coming from a man who was VERY critical of his original signing (this was in my life before CL, which looking back, feels so empty) and still thinks he's awful. But in his first spell with us he was decent, and it was noticeable that those around him--Gomez and Fox namely, played better with him in the team.

Okay, I can't say something nice about Roger Johnson without posting this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54IdSJcLPGU
    Backed-peddled so far for the third he almost ended up in Liverpool (1:45)
  • Options
    Who was that Moroccan centre back we had on loan when we were in the Prem? I remember him being atrocious
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Diawara was a class player who was one of the best tacklers I've seen. He made a couple of mistakes when he first came to us as he adjusted to the hoofball we were playing at the time - enjoyed watching him play.
    To be fair to him, I may remember those initial mistakes more than what came after.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Who was that Moroccan centre back we had on loan when we were in the Prem? I remember him being atrocious

Tahar El Khalej what a blinding memory!

• Options
    We have seen some dross over the years but Thuram undoubtedly number one worst player for me. Would not get into a Conference team here. Only time I have seen a goalie who would dive feet first to make a save.
  • Options
    Tom said:

Dizzle said:

That's him! Terrible
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nice.
    Although, we beat QPR with him in goal. (not draw as above)

Hi dribble past ravel morrison - not- will never be forgotten.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Tom said:

Dizzle said:

That's him! Terrible
    I used to love him... Shot every time he got the ball in the opponents' half. Scored one from the half-way line that bounced a couple of times before it went in (against Portsmouth if memory serves me right)
  • Options
    To be fair to Roger Johnson, he was a big part of us getting our shit together and away from danger in his first stint at the club. Never should have brought him back, but he was excellent first time round.

Martin bastard Cranie for me. Epitomised the Alan Pardew school of thinking. Sign some other club's unfit, untested child on loan and watch him spunk the ball into his own net while we go sliding down the table. Just reading his name makes me feel ill
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Dizzle said:

Tom said:

Dizzle said:

That's him! Terrible
    I used to love him... Shot every time he got the ball in the opponents' half. Scored one from the half-way line that bounced a couple of times before it went in (against Portsmouth if memory serves me right)
    Ain't that El Karkouri?
  • Options
    El karkouri was brilliant. That El khalej was awful
  • Options
    Eggert Jonsson
    The "dench" clown from Arsenal
    Paul Bacon
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

El karkouri was brilliant. That El khalej was awful

Amen
  • Options
    Plus one for buckshee's nomination of mike small for that 'performance' at the den. Nothing even in recent times gets close.
  • Options

Eggert Jonsson
    The "dench" clown from Arsenal
    Paul Bacon

Emanuel Frimpong isn't a bad shout. Abdul Razak another one who came from a big club (City), was highly regarded at the time, and began his rapid descent with us.

The regime gets a lot of stick for their record in the transfer market, and rightly so, but we have had a lot of awful players, particularly on loan, over the last decade or so.