Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AJOSE loan to Swindon

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:

It's worth mentioning that Swindon play a narrow 4-4-2, mostly play a 4-1-2-1-2 with Ajose up top with Obika.

Now, I wonder what formation we have been playing lately? The decision to send him out based on he wouldn't fit into the 4-2-3-1 was and is ridiculous.

I am sure if we had Ajose in the side now playing the way we have been, we would have scored at least a handful more goals, probably enough to see us to safety.

I really hope he stays. With the right players and the right system, he will score a shed load. That's what you need in this division.

Sheffield United are top for a reason, they're clinical and have a goalscorer, the top goalscorer in the league, Billy Sharp has 26 goals and 5 assists, it's not hard to work out.

As a new manager, a good plan is to identify the best striker you have, and then get the team set up to play to his strengths.

When you get to the transfer window, buy the best striker you can afford unless he is your club already and bring in the players that will be able to play to his strengths.
  • Options
    Ajose wanted to get away from the club, he didn't want to be here anymore.
  • Options
    That must be true for nearly all the players isn't it?
  • Options

That must be true for nearly all the players isn't it?

Indeed most do want to get away - but the only ones who do before their contracts expire, are the decent ones. Which is why we attract so many wounded souls - either mentally, like Watt for example, or, in the case of Kashi, physically.

And the managers we get are just grateful to have a job and happy, with one or two exceptions, to toe the Roland line - especially in the knowledge that, if it doesn't work out, they can walk with a pay off. Beats being on the dole doesn't in?

• Options

Igor currently crocked but had started banging them in. I think hammy. But interesting if Gobbo can call on him Watt and Kashi next season.

Don't expect to see Igor again.
    Besides, those League 2 pitches can play havoc with your pubis.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Sage said:

I am sure if we had Ajose in the side now playing the way we have been, we would have scored at least a handful more goals, probably enough to see us to safety.

I really hope he stays. With the right players and the right system, he will score a shed load. That's what you need in this division.

All of our strikers seem mediocre most of the time, even for League One. Ajose took his goal against Millwall well. Apart from that, it was often like playing with ten men with him in the side. Perhaps with a system more suited to his style of play he might have done better, but it's hard to know for sure.

In most games that I've been to this season the opposition seem to have a least one striker better than ours.
  • Options

the FACT is that this season so far he's scored 5 times in 11 games for Swindon after being sent out on loan ..
    how does that compare with our so called strikers who are collectively a waste of space and salary ? ..
    I have written before that any team can tolerate one player/prolific scorer who might be lacking in his 'work rate' .. too late now Ajose could have been scoring for us instead of mighty Swindon ..
    anyone who opines that it was the 'right thing' to let Ajose go is opining nonsense .. problem is that neither Slade nor silly bollocks Rubbishson had a clue how to get the best from him .. after all, it was Slade who signed him before deciding to set up his sides for trench warfare rather than attacking football ..
    I SINCERELY hope that Ajose is back with us for next season and we have a manager who has the first clue as to how to utilise his undoubted scoring prowess to the full, irrespective of how 'lazy' he is or how ungainly he looks .. people, Ajose SCORES GOALS f f s and that's what wins games ... Amen

Slade set up not to lose as opposed to setting out to win. Not a bad way of playing if your a team fighting agaisnt relegation but not a good way of playing for a team out for promotion. Ajose needs oppurtunities in the box, an Andy Cole type player who needs a few oppurtunities to score. I to hope he is here next year to fire the goals to get us out of whatever division we find ourselves in.
  • Options
    Scored a lot for Swindon, didn't do well here, then scored more for Swindon.

So is the problem with the player, or with us?
  • Options

US .. i.e. our 2 rubbish managers .. I just fail to understand why Slade signed him and then basically ignored him .. Walsall .. he touched the ball twice scored 2 and we nicked 3 points .. he was hardly ever seen after that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

the FACT is that this season so far he's scored 5 times in 11 games for Swindon after being sent out on loan ..
    how does that compare with our so called strikers who are collectively a waste of space and salary ? ..
    I have written before that any team can tolerate one player/prolific scorer who might be lacking in his 'work rate' .. too late now Ajose could have been scoring for us instead of mighty Swindon ..
    anyone who opines that it was the 'right thing' to let Ajose go is opining nonsense .. problem is that neither Slade nor silly bollocks Rubbishson had a clue how to get the best from him .. after all, it was Slade who signed him before deciding to set up his sides for trench warfare rather than attacking football ..
    I SINCERELY hope that Ajose is back with us for next season and we have a manager who has the first clue as to how to utilise his undoubted scoring prowess to the full, irrespective of how 'lazy' he is or how ungainly he looks .. people, Ajose SCORES GOALS f f s and that's what wins games ... Amen

Agreed, in the sense that I think we should be trying him again right now.
    But disagree in the sense that he appeared to offer so little in the games I saw.
    Personally I'd try Hanlan with Watt. But what do I know.
  • Options
    Get him back for next season, we will need a proven striker in League 2
  • Options

US .. i.e. our 2 rubbish managers .. I just fail to understand why Slade signed him and then basically ignored him .. Walsall .. he touched the ball twice scored 2 and we nicked 3 points .. he was hardly ever seen after that
    I have hi-lighted the problem above, players scoring goals and nicking 3 points for us ruined the sequence of 1-1 draws.
  • Options
    I hope they have a clause not allowing him to play against us on the final day of the season. I wouldn't put it past the regime to have given permission for Ajose to play so that they can save paying him. If that's the case allowing him to play that game could prove more costly than saving his wage. The way we have been playing it could all hinge on the last game of the season.
  • Options
    The one slight proviso to my previous comment, is that Mavididi was brought in during the window to be our 4th striker. and looked good until he got crocked.

In previous seasons we could have got a replacement, but now that's not possible, and of course we couldn't recall Ajose either
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Agreed, in the sense that I think we should be trying him again right now.
    But disagree in the sense that he appeared to offer so little in the games I saw.
    Personally I'd try Hanlan with Watt. But what do I know.
    Tony Watt? You are a patient and easily pleased gentleman it would suggest.
  • Options

The one slight proviso to my previous comment, is that Mavididi was brought in during the window to be our 4th striker. and looked good until he got crocked.

In previous seasons we could have got a replacement, but now that's not possible, and of course we couldn't recall Ajose either

True, we, or actually Tarbuck, gambled on an 18 year old with no league games being the solution.

So Ajose, Hanlan and Umerah were moved on to make space and save a few bob. Mavididi looked good but never scored.

Watt was no longer wanted by Hearts so we had to take him and his wages back. It was never a case of Robinson having the choice of Watt or Igor. Watt was coming back regardless.

Tarbuck also signed Page, Dasilva, Bryne and JFC.

None have set the world alight yet although not necessarily their fault. Injuries, played out of position or not played at all in Dasilva's case plus suspensions didn't help.

But don't fear Tarbuck will get it right in the summer.
  • Options
    simply one of the most baffling loans at a time when we are crying out for a striker
  • Options
    Top scorers for players in League 1 for both 2015/16 and 2016/17:

Sharpe 47
    Ajose 36
    Gregory 35
    Madden 31
    Morison 27

Two things strike me from that table.

The first is that Sharp happens to play for a side managed by the man who turned us down and who might just have got the best out of Ajose.

The second is that Millwall, for example, aren't reliant on one player for their goals. In fact, Gregory, Morison and O'Brien have netted more than 80 times in the League between them in that time - presumably because they have developed some sort of understanding. Difficult to do that when both the make up of the squad is being overhauled every single season.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Top scorers for players in League 1 for both 2015/16 and 2016/17:

Sharpe 47
    Ajose 36
    Gregory 35
    Madden 31
    Morison 27

Two things strike me from that table.

The first is that Sharp happens to play for a side managed by the man who turned us down and who might just have got the best out of Ajose.

The second is that Millwall, for example, aren't reliant on one player for their goals. In fact, Gregory, Morison and O'Brien have netted more than 80 times in the League between them in that time - presumably because they have developed some sort of understanding. Difficult to do that when both the make up of the squad is being overhauled every single season.

a post that striketh the nail dead centre, right between the eyes ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You say that but this season there were plenty of times where Ajose got in a 'goal scoring position' and failed to hit the target or hit it straight at the keeper.

He's a goal scorer who we haven't got the most out of - but let's not pretend that he wasn't shite for us this season and that he didn't miss a fair amount of chances that he should, as a 'goal scorer', have been scoring.
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:

You say that but this season there were plenty of times where Ajose got in a 'goal scoring position' and failed to hit the target or hit it straight at the keeper.

He's a goal scorer who we haven't got the most out of - but let's not pretend that he wasn't shite for us this season and that he didn't miss a fair amount of chances that he should, as a 'goal scorer', have been scoring.
    'shite' ? .. he'd scored 7 goals for us in just a few games before being ignored/dropped and dumped .. were you at Gillingham where he came on as a substitute and scored an injury time penalty after Holmes had missed an earlier one ?..
    'shite' .. if Ajose was 'shite' what adjective would you use to describe Novak, Watt, Magennis and any other of the motley crew we've had to endure as a 'striker force' this season ? ..
    yes Ajose missed a few as well as scoring a few .. it's called being in the right place at the right time .. who else wearing our shirt this season could you realistically write that about ?
  • Options
    Magennis looked pretty decent before his injury and the Magennis, Ajose partnership was starting to look a potentially brilliant option.

Then Mag got hurt and Ajose got moved on... on top of this our manager has bottled it with crap formations and played other players like Byrne out of position. He's clearly a winger based on his games for us there vs his games for us in defence.
  • Options
    Watt has played a total of 1,973 minutes for us and Hearts this season and has managed just TWO GOALS in open play and NOT ONE ASSIST - unless you count the two he managed for the opposition last night. So, that's the equivalent of one goal or assist every 11 full games he's played. And he's meant to be a creative forward. But some people still say he "looked good".

Novak, who "worked very hard", has a tally of TWO GOALS and ONE ASSIST in 1,410 minutes this season or the equivalent of a goal or assist every five games.

Ajose has managed 11 GOALS and THREE ASSISTS in 2,422 minutes - the equivalent of a goal or assist every other game. He's been at Swindon since the January window and he is already their top scorer this season! And yet he "looked rubbish".

The proof of the pudding is in the stats. Give me rubbish and goals or assists all day long over someone who looks good or works hard but, actually produces sweet FA.
  • Options
    ajose really wasnt that good for us this season - hes been loaned out, charlton are at a risk of dropping to league 2, like the above comment says - yes he has got 11 goals and 3 assists but thats at swindon not charlton - he just didnt get on here, similar to morgan fox, i never called him a bad player just wasnt a good charlton player.
  • Options

ajose really wasnt that good for us this season - hes been loaned out, charlton are at a risk of dropping to league 2, like the above comment says - yes he has got 11 goals and 3 assists but thats at swindon not charlton - he just didnt get on here, similar to morgan fox, i never called him a bad player just wasnt a good charlton player.

6 of those goals and one of those assists was with us - an average of every 208 minutes for us. Not great but not shocking either. Watt has a goal in open play or assist for us every 955 minutes this season. That is shocking.
  • Options

6 of those goals and one of those assists was with us - an average of every 208 minutes for us. Not great but not shocking either. Watt has a goal in open play or assist for us every 955 minutes this season. That is shocking.
    take the point - and he shouldnt of been loaned out if karl was asked what he would rather ajose or watt, then thats karls problem. we shouldnt be relying on swindon to lose to keep us up, as karl is still in a job at se7 it points to theyll be selling, i would give him 1 transfer window with a reasonable transfer kitty and then 15 games next season. if there was still nothing then time to go.
  • Options
    What stupid fuckwit buys a 20 goal a season man and then doesn't play to his strengths. All his goals last season were poachers goals or 1 on 1s with the keeper. But no we start playing with wingers and expect him to get on the end of crosses. Then the new silly twat manager gets rid of him then starts to play through the middle with no wingers. You couldn't make this nonsense up. Awful awful decisions.
  • Options

Scores twice for Bury today in Checkatrade trophy
  • Options

Scores twice for Bury today in Checkatrade trophy
    Thanks Colin(use correct thread next time haha)