Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnnie Jackson: "Some players at Charlton not giving their all"

Comments

• Let him run it till the end of the season and see what happens. Can't be worse than fatty.

Could be devastating for his embryonic management career though
  • I find it a bit laughable that some are slagging Robinson for saying that some players are not playing for the shirt yet when Jackson says it then he gets Praise.

What does come out is that both KR and JJ are right. That dressing room dissent is very much down to Robinson. If he can't sort that pdq which I don't think he can then we are bang in trouble.

Because if you were at the game it's clearly Robinson's tactical ineptitude that's the problem. Jacko is hardly going to blame the manager is he?
    So Jackson is lying and the players are giving 100% ? Interesting take.

• seth plum said:

Jacko has been used as the human shield by this regime on several occasions.

This, KR's interview was probably discussed and they sent Jacko out to put a spin on it. Poor bastard is probably as sick of it all as the rest of the team
  • Sponsored links:

• SE7toSG3 said:

Human Shield roĺled out by the regime end of, its pitiful, patronising and predictable.

The problem isnt the players, the manager, protesters or the apologists.

This club is broken from top to bottom until there is a complete change and we are able to start afresh, (and thats properly afresh not a KM 'judge us from now' afresh).

Exactly what I thought, JJ used again ?
  • Good post @cabbles , sums it up perfectly.
  • It's the right words but that's all it is is words. The manager has lost it he rants makes excuses and now he blames the players.He brought page in yet his blaming what happened before. We are going down and he has lost the changing room. Bring in Gary Rowett. Or even give it Jackson now. We got nothing to lose except Roland paying out more compensation but it's his fault so he should pay the dumb arse.
  • Jackson isn't saying the same thing though even if he is talking about the same problem.

He uses very different terms, doesn't blame everyone else or say he can "do nothink".

That's true but as you say it is the same problem. It's a big thing for Jackson to come out and say.

Can't see how Robinson can do enough to heal the dressing room quickly enough to avoid us getting dragged into a relegation fight. Worrying times.

• it was only a couple of weeks ago , before the wheels fell off completely, that Robinson was saying what a great bunch of players he had here and how great the attitude was within team. I wonder what's changed so much in those recent weeks and why ?

Exactly.

What's changed is we aren't winning and since that can't be the fault of the ownership (P45 if he says that) or himself it has to be the players.

Now, the players have to take some of the blame and in some cases a lot of the blame but if they are so bad and/or uncaring coach them better or drop them.

Or maybe try playing a settled side in a sensible formation. Play the players you bought a few weeks ago, stick to 442 but not with such a high line with a slow back four, i don't know but you should Jimmy because you are the manager. Not Slade, not Jackson YOU.
  • In normal circumstances I find the constant sacking of managers ridiculously short-sighted and emblematic of the impatience that besets the modern game. But after KR's latest comments I really don't see how he can stay. There are times when we as supporters can see players collectively need a few home truths, and might endorse a good bollocking. Instead, his clumsily chosen words and passing of the blame will surely have alienated just about everyone.

Apart from everything else, he's publicly admitted that he thinks he can do nothing about the malaise; pretty much a resignation in itself.
  • That KR is how you should have conducted yourself along with the choice of words you should have used.

Sorry but I don't buy into JJ being a human shield for anyone, I was there last night and think JJ has called it spot on and said it in a way similar to how Curbs or Powell would have done. KR take note.

That said i'll be honest I don't know how we can be so exposed for the 2nd and 3rd goals conceded when the Shrews players had the freedom of Shrewsbury to create and score the 2nd and 3rd, is it down to KR we were left so horrendously exposed at the back both times or was it down to the players not carrying out instructions where they should be on the pitch?

My gut feel says there's no way KR would have us throwing the kitchen sink at Shrewsbury in the 47th minute at a corner already 2-1 up.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you're going through a bad patch Curbs always said go back to basics.

1 Only select players that will give 100%.

2 Play 4-4-2 or possibly 4-5-1 away and make yourself hard to beat.

3 Don't play 2 wingers away from home that can't/won't defend and expose your full backs. Possibly, don't play 2 wingers at home for the same reason.

Robinson's been bloody poor, but most managers will struggle under RD.

How can we recruit the right type of player, when the company's brand/strap line/ethos is we don't care if we win games ?

How can you expect your employees to want footballing success, when the owner doesn't want it ?

In a nutshell. Agree 100%
  • I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you're going through a bad patch Curbs always said go back to basics.

1 Only select players that will give 100%.

2 Play 4-4-2 or possibly 4-5-1 away and make yourself hard to beat.

3 Don't play 2 wingers away from home that can't/won't defend and expose your full backs. Possibly, don't play 2 wingers at home for the same reason.

Robinson's been bloody poor, but most managers will struggle under RD.

How can we recruit the right type of player, when the company's brand/strap line/ethos is we don't care if we win games ?

How can you expect your employees to want footballing success, when the owner doesn't want it ?

if i could like this twice i would ...we are an anti football club ,they follow the example of the management and ownership ....The Club is becoming ever rotten to the core under this lot
  • I find it a bit laughable that some are slagging Robinson for saying that some players are not playing for the shirt yet when Jackson says it then he gets Praise.

What does come out is that both KR and JJ are right. That dressing room dissent is very much down to Robinson. If he can't sort that pdq which I don't think he can then we are bang in trouble.

Because if you were at the game it's clearly Robinson's tactical ineptitude that's the problem. Jacko is hardly going to blame the manager is he?
    So Jackson is lying and the players are giving 100% ? Interesting take.

Yeah that's exactly what I said isn't it.
  • cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

But, why have we got yet another group of players under RD's reign not giving their all.

That for me is the real question.

2 answers to that, I would say.

1. I can't imagine that assessing a player's personality forms a significant part of our recruitment process. Curbishley used to talk a lot about signing personalities that fit in with the Charlton mentality, I doubt that Fat Karl even bothered to meet all of his January signings.

2. The effect of poor management on staff attitudes. Doesn't matter whether it's a football team or an office - if you're working for a bad manager, or in a poorly managed environment, then it will inevitably effect your performance, and your motivation to do well.

Personally don't attach any blame whatsoever to the players. I doubt I would have it in me to give 100% every week against that shambolic backdrop.
    I got into a discussion with my old man about it on the car on the way home after getting dropped off by the coach last night.

He's of the opinion that the players should be doing better which I agree with to a certain extent, but I was trying to put across my point about the culture being rotten, because what's the one constant in these 3 years. I think he misinterpreted my choice of words when I said 'who/what has always been there during these 3 years' because he took it literally and said that Roland isn't always there.

Obviously I meant there as in the owner of the club. Doesn't matter how much interaction (if any) the players have with KM & RD, it's the aura and the culture, that's what I mean by being 'there'.

In my work we talk a lot about company culture and although it brings out the management bollocks/buzzwords it's a massive factor on performance if it's not a good culture.

As an example, I work in telesales. When I first started I was 24 and one of a number of young lads, lots of banter, pub, drinks blah blah blah, all very poor man's wolf of Wall Street. Now I'm 35, if I went for another job in a similar role it would be important to me not to be in some environment with a bunch of me's from 10 years ago, I'm not interested in that anymore.

Goes back to your point re: the culture that was built under Curbs and even Powell.

Top down Murray, Varney, Curbs, Kinsella, Robinson, Supporters, the Trust, the players, the kit man, the stewards, everyone in a similar cultural space, everyone brings their best self or as near as possible to the club, day in day out.

Culture of cancer and disease which reflects the RD era 2014 - present RD, KM, Keohane, 9 managers, Naby Sarr, Tony Watt, Andre Bikey, Roger Johnson, Ba, CARD, WAR and a protest fund.

Now I'm obviously not digging out CARD, WAR or the protest fund being a supporter, but these are by products of a cancerous culture and none of it would've even been imagined under the Curbs era.

It's a fucking joke
    It's about respect. Curbs respected Murray and Varney. The players respected Curbs. The fans respected the players. Respect has to be earned, that takes time and effort. It is very hard to find any respect within this current circus, putting aside Sue Parkes misplaced respect for her boss.
  • We've changed all the players, that didn't work,
    changed some seats, that didn't work,
    put in undersoil heating, that didn't work
    changed the scouts, that didn't work,
    changed all the managers, that didn't work, ,
    promised a new training ground, that didn't work,
    sold our best players, that didn't work.

Can't think of anything else that hasn't changed in three years that might make a difference... hold on...nailed it, we've still got the same bloody fans.

We could change the CEO
  • HarryLime said:

We've changed all the players, that didn't work,
    changed some seats, that didn't work,
    put in undersoil heating, that didn't work
    changed the scouts, that didn't work,
    changed all the managers, that didn't work, ,
    promised a new training ground, that didn't work,
    sold our best players, that didn't work.

Can't think of anything else that hasn't changed in three years that might make a difference... hold on...nailed it, we've still got the same bloody fans.

We could change the CEO
    Bloody genius.