Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Groundhopping

Comments

• I know how to enjoy myself Dicky!
  • @ElfsborgAddick can’t believe you were on my stomping ground and didn’t give me a shout!

Anyway, I was at Cray v Bishop Stotford today, Cray lost 3-1 after being 1-0 up.

• se9addick said:
    @ElfsborgAddick can’t believe you were on my stomping ground and didn’t give me a shout!

Anyway, I was at Cray v Bishop Stotford today, Cray lost 3-1 after being 1-0 up.

Ditto mate, I'm 15 minutes walk from here!

They still produce a high quality programme?
  • Photo 5 - what is it?
  • Photo 5 - what is it?
    The Chairman told me that it was the smallest stand in the country.  It's different.
  • se9addick said:
    I'm on 71 of the current 92, could do with Charlton getting relegated to help me get that last 20 or so out of the way.
    How's that working out for you ?
    😉
  • edited October 2020

Beckenham 3 v  Bearsted 4 in the Kent League yesterday.  A very healthy crowd of 119 watched a very entertaining game.
    Rightly or wrongly, you would not have known there should be restrictions adhered to at football.  No in/out doorstep for the club house, no stewards advising you to distance, getting served at the bar in the old fashioned way.  Fantastic!
    I even met 'the real' Dave Mehmet as well, he's a coach at Beckenham. 
    My house makes an appearance on Charlton Life!
  • edited October 2020
    Over the years I've tried to do the 92 with CAFC matches only. Was up to the late 70s in the 1990s/2000s, then it seemed 1 in 3 teams were moving to new grounds. Gave up on my ambition. 
  • @ElfsborgAddick Done Sittingbourne FC yet ?

• Beckenham 3 v  Bearsted 4 in the Kent League yesterday.  A very healthy crowd of 119 watched a very entertaining game.
    Rightly or wrongly, you would not have known there should be restrictions adhered to at football.  No in/out doorstep for the club house, no stewards advising you to distance, getting served at the bar in the old fashioned way.  Fantastic!

What number are you mate, we had a nightmare parking up.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    se9addick said:
    I'm on 71 of the current 92, could do with Charlton getting relegated to help me get that last 20 or so out of the way.
    How's that working out for you ?
    😉
    Could do with another relegation to help out my 92. An end to the global pandemic would be nice too! 
  • @ElfsborgAddick Done Sittingbourne FC yet ?
    No mate, I ticked the greyhound track and the ground next to it but have not done the current one.  I'm looking to do it soon.

• Have also ticked off some non-league grounds for the first time in the last few weeks

- Erith Town vs Crowborough (SCEFL Premier)
    - Sporting Club Thamesmead vs Kent Football United (SCEFL Div 1)
    - Folkestone Invicta vs Potters Bar

Of the three, Folkestone had by the far the biggest crowd and highest standard of football. 

Very much enjoying the experience of learning about non-league and will carry on groundhopping across these divisions until we can return to Charlton. 

• Beckenham 3 v  Bearsted 4 in the Kent League yesterday.  A very healthy crowd of 119 watched a very entertaining game.

What number are you mate, we had a nightmare parking up.
    Beckenham rent their own car park to the car garage around the corner to store all his new cars on so have no spaces on their ground for their fans. 

Because of that, when a game is on the roads nearby are always busy.   

That is multiplied by the fact a few extra fans are there at the moment. 

Doesn't bother me as it is max two lots of 90mins a week and I can watch footy from my front and back windows in return!
  • Over the years I've tried to do the 92 with CAFC matches only. Was up to the late 70s in the 1990s/2000s, then it seemed 1 in 3 teams were moving to new grounds. Gave up on my ambition. 
    Automatic promotion from the National League makes it more difficult too. I think it's a good thing, but who'd have thought that you'd have had to go to Barrow to do the 92? 
  • Can see at least one Charlton fan on the pitch! He wasn't looking forward to that trip to Lydd!
  • Stig said:
    Over the years I've tried to do the 92 with CAFC matches only. Was up to the late 70s in the 1990s/2000s, then it seemed 1 in 3 teams were moving to new grounds. Gave up on my ambition. 
    Automatic promotion from the National League makes it more difficult too. I think it's a good thing, but who'd have thought that you'd have had to go to Barrow to do the 92? 

You just know we'll get them midweek!
    We saw Maidstone there about 4 years ago, that was a long day out.  Barrow is not the most inspiring of places.
  • Stig said:

You just know we'll get them midweek!
    We saw Maidstone there about 4 years ago, that was a long day out.  Barrow is not the most inspiring of places.

It's like Sheerness but a bit more menacing!
  • A question for the experienced non-league groundhoppers: 

What would you say the threshold is to justify a ground to be 'ticked off'? 

For Kent, when you get below SCEFL Division 1 you get into Kent County League (Division 11-13), and from pictures it looks hard to really call them "grounds" when in many cases it is literally just a cordoned off pitch. 

Not trying to have a dig with my question, but am actually curious to know if there is an 'insiders' answer on this sort of thing when it comes to groundhopping.

Would it be a case of where you have to pay to watch that it is considered to be valid? Or is there no real rule as to how low you can go? 
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:
    A question for the experienced non-league groundhoppers: 

What would you say the threshold is to justify a ground to be 'ticked off'? 

For Kent, when you get below SCEFL Division 1 you get into Kent County League (Division 11-13), and from pictures it looks hard to really call them "grounds" when in many cases it is literally just a cordoned off pitch. 

Not trying to have a dig with my question, but am actually curious to know if there is an 'insiders' answer on this sort of thing when it comes to groundhopping.

Would it be a case of where you have to pay to watch that it is considered to be valid? Or is there no real rule as to how low you can go? 
    Anything in the pyramid that leads to promotions ultimately the professional game.
    Having said that I draw a line at Kent League, below this you are talking playing fields with dressing rooms, and not charging for admission(which I like).

• Snodland 0 Rusthall 4, yesterday in the Kent League division 1.
    A gate of 116(not fiddled much) witnessed an easy win for Rusthall, suffering shocking weather, a rundown ground in a miserable little town.
    The one interesting point was the turnstile waiting to be installed came from the old Wembley stadium.

• Football is back!
    Sungate v Basildon Town today.  This is Step 7 in the Essex Olympian League. Public grounds allow supporters, private grounds do not, officially. This game was staged at Ilford Wanderers rugby club over in Hainault.
    A crowd of around 20 watched a 1-1 draw.  With no tea bar facilities available until next Saturday we had to make sure our clothes kept us warm.
  • edited April 2021

Football is back!
    Sungate v Basildon Town today.  This is Step 7 in the Essex Olympian League. Public grounds allow supporters, private grounds do not, officially. This game was staged at Ilford Wanderers rugby club over in Hainault.
    A crowd of around 20 watched a 1-1 draw.  With no tea bar facilities available until next Saturday we had to make sure our clothes kept us warm.
    That's an impressive rail around that pitch. They've got rugby and football, do they have horse racing as well?
  • Stig said:

Football is back!
    That's an impressive rail around that pitch. They've got rugby and football, do they have horse racing as well?

Only in the summer.
  • Literally down the road from my parents home. They live a two minutes drive from there in Wannock.