Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Fleetwood | Sat 4 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Fleetwood Town
Saturday 4th February 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tim Robinson (West Sussex)

Introduction

With two matches postponed in January it was good to finally see and hear about Charlton in action last Saturday when they made the trip up to Lancashire to face promotion challengers: Bolton Wanderers, none of us expected to bring home three points and certainly none of us expected the three points when we went down to 10-men early in the first half.

Yet a win is a win and we return to the Valley this Saturday hosting another side challenging for promotion in Fleetwood Town and with the Addicks undefeated since the middle of December, could a charge be happening… If we want to reach the Play-Offs then it can’t wait any longer, it has to happen now!!

The Opposition
Name: Fleetwood Town | Manager: Uwe Rosler
Ground: Highbury Stadium

This match previewer certainly deserves to have egg on his face… Before even a ball was kicked: Fleetwood were my main bet for relegation, they only avoided relegation by five points last season and with a change of manager just a week before the opener, surely they would be a dead cert for relegation this time around?

Fast forward to January though and my comments about being relegation favourites are a joke and if anything their Manager deserves to be crowned the best this season – Not once have Fleetwood even been close to the relegation zone, and despite over 20-players arriving over the summer the Fishermen have failed to score in just one match all season.

This weekend; Rosler’s men come to the Valley for the first ever meeting, not having lost since November… We just have to hope that we’re equally as confident after our recent win; it could be an interesting afternoon, one I’m quite looking forward to.

Charlton Team News
Having beaten Bolton with 10-men it could be a simple case of one player in, one player out… Lewis Page will almost certainly be the latter having been sent off last weekend whilst Jorge Teixeira is now eligible after his red card against Millwall… Jake Forster Caskey made his debut as Ezri Konsa dropped back into the defence yet can either truly be dropped after impressive performances?

Karl Robinson though has confirmed that Ricky Holmes should start this Saturday and with Jordan Botaka back from the African Nations Cup, we now have plenty of strength and depth in the squad. Leading the line should be Tony Watt once more whilst Stephy Mavididi (signed on deadline day from Arsenal) should make the bench.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Konsa | Chicksen
Forster-Caskey | Crofts
Byrne | Aribo | Holmes
Watt

Substitutes Bench: Mitov | Teixeira | Botaka | Jackson | Dasilva | Novak | Mavididi

Prediction
With Fleetwood having scored in all but one game this season you’d hope there will be goals from both sides if the Addicks are to continue their unbeaten run… Usually I’d be happy with a draw in this sort of fixture yet the result on Saturday could be a huge indication of where we’ll end up… Victory and the Play-Offs are potentially in sight, anything else and mid-table will beckon!!

Comments

• Comfortable home win 4-0.

in these dark and depressing times i really enjoy your relentless positivity
  • Rudd
    Solly/ Tex/ Bauer/ Chickson
    Forster- Caskey/ Crofts
    Byrne / Watt/ Holmes
    Mavididi

I think we should throw in the new guy, give him confidence and see what he can do.
  • 2-1 defeat. They have some good players (Ball especially) and score goals for fun. Another rant from KR coming...
  • Squad/team is spot on.

Rudd
    Solly | Bauer | Konsa | Chicksen
    Forster-Caskey | Crofts
    Byrne | Aribo | Holmes
    Watt

Substitutes Bench: Mitov | Teixeira | Botaka | Jackson | Dasilva | Novak | Mavididi

Encouraging to be able to confidently predict a strong 11/squad.

3-1 CAFC
  • we'll win this one for sure.
    We'll even score more goals than them for a change, and they will smile less than we will, and we will smile less than K.R...
  • Can't see us winning this one, 2-0 to them.
  • 3-1 to the Addicks
  • I think Tex will come back in, especially as Konsa could do with a rest seeing as he's, what, 19?

I like @johnnybev1987's idea of Watt behind Di-Di Dum-Dum but that could be something for later on in the game, so Aribo in the middle of the front three and Watt up front on his own to begin with, as per FA's suggestion.
  • A resounding draw. We have not had one for... er... ever like!

2-2
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Tex will come back in, especially as Konsa could do with a rest seeing as he's, what, 19?

I like @johnnybev1987's idea of Watt behind Di-Di Dum-Dum but that could be something for later on in the game, so Aribo in the middle of the front three and Watt up front on his own to begin with, as per FA's suggestion.

I honestly think that having a back pair of Bauer and Teixeira will be better than having Konsa back there.

Agreed he's only 19 but he surely does need a rest at some stage...

With my line up though I just decided to go for the safe cowardly option with the view that surely a player cant be replaced after doing so well to get three points last week considering the circumstances.
  • That matchday squad looks pretty good, considering we are without Pearce and Magennis, and there's still Ulvestad to consider.

Like others I'd play Tex ahead of Konsa, I'd be tempted to have Ulvestad on the bench ahead of DaSilva, as while the latter in theory could cover LB, I'm not sure whether someone so young and small could really do a job in that position.

Fleetwood are a decent team but I have a feeling we'll sneak this 1-0
  • 7-1 home win.
  • Think it will be a draw again 1-1.

Have i missed something, everyone has put Mitov on the bench and Rudd in goal. Has Phillips left or been loaned out, if not why would he not be on bench?

Have i missed something, everyone has put Mitov on the bench and Rudd in goal. Has Phillips left or been loaned out, if not why would he not be on bench?

Phillips missed out against Bolton due to a slight knee (?) injury

I've added Mitov because I'm guessing that wont have cleared up... Of course if it has then I expect him to be on the bench

Phillips missed out against Bolton due to a slight knee (?) injury

I've added Mitov because I'm guessing that wont have cleared up... Of course if it has then I expect him to be on the bench
    Ok thanks - didnt realise that.
  • 2-1 Charlton we are on our way to the play offs
  • Looking a week ahead, according to KR, Josh will be available for the next game
  • edited February 2017
    If you thought Stroud is bad, wait till you see this bloke in action on Saturday. This is the ref that denied us a stonewall pen at Swindon and booked a player after he broke his leg.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/luton-midfielder-cameron-mcgeehan-booked-9555532
  • Hard fought 1 - 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Got a good feeling about this one, last week means nothing without a win Saturday.
    We must win every home game left to have any chance of overhauling those on front.
    2-1, Watt and JFC
    COYA !!
  • Every time I expect us to win, we lose and every time I expect us to lose, we win. This week, I'm sitting on the fence ... Draw
  • A pulsating 4-3 win.
    Watt (2) Byrne & Aribo
  • Great preview but i'm struggling to see why people still think we're playing with a 4-2-3-1 formation.

It's clearly 4-1-4-1. Even Robinson says so in the pre match interviews.

3-1 to us.
  • 1-1 our unbeaten runs continues
  • 2-1 to Charlton. Fleetwood's away form isn't as good as their home form.

http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england3
  • Home win 3-1, optimism starting to grow here, not massively but growing.
  • Great preview but i'm struggling to see why people still think we're playing with a 4-2-3-1 formation.

It's clearly 4-1-4-1. Even Robinson says so in the pre match interviews.

3-1 to us.

To me the way he describes it is a 433.

He describes the different roles within the midfield 3 as Crofts holding and the other two doing the leg work and getting further up the pitch.

He certainly describes the Wingers and striker as a front 3.
  • Can't wait to see all our marquee signings from deadline day.
    1.I draw unfortunately
  • 3-0. We just keep on getting better. Watt with 2 corkers and an elementary winnee from Holmes.