Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• Options
    milo said:

I haven't been to cricket in years but really enjoyed that despite the result. I fear I have unearthed a latent cricket-fiend in my son who watched the match in near frenzy and spent the entire drive home quizzing me on it - this was apparently to keep me awake but was having the opposite effect. He appears to have memorised the entire team and was giving me his in-depth analysis, haven't seen him like this since Charlton's 2012 promotion season. God knows what he'd be like if Kent had won.

T20 at Canterbury is a rather surreal experience - look one way and there's a a giant TV encouraging you to send your 'big screen selfies', Tshirts being thrown to the crowd, free hats and dance music, look the other way and there's a fella sat at a picnic table with his dog, smoking a pipe, half of ale, picking twigs out his beard.

Canterbury is a great place to watch county cricket as is Tunbridge Wells; certainly far better than somewhere like the Oval.
    As for the match we rather through it away after a good start. Billings should be dropped, either completely or at least batting 6 or 7, he is so out of form and his shot selection is dire. He tries all the fancy shots that may work when your in form but not on the form he is at the moment. He was out at Beckenham on a reverse sweep and last night seem to want he can play it from the off again - which he couldn't.

On the positive side was very impressed with the spinner Quayum.
  • Options
    redman said:

milo said:

I haven't been to cricket in years but really enjoyed that despite the result. I fear I have unearthed a latent cricket-fiend in my son who watched the match in near frenzy and spent the entire drive home quizzing me on it - this was apparently to keep me awake but was having the opposite effect. He appears to have memorised the entire team and was giving me his in-depth analysis, haven't seen him like this since Charlton's 2012 promotion season. God knows what he'd be like if Kent had won.

T20 at Canterbury is a rather surreal experience - look one way and there's a a giant TV encouraging you to send your 'big screen selfies', Tshirts being thrown to the crowd, free hats and dance music, look the other way and there's a fella sat at a picnic table with his dog, smoking a pipe, half of ale, picking twigs out his beard.

Canterbury is a great place to watch county cricket as is Tunbridge Wells; certainly far better than somewhere like the Oval.
    As for the match we rather through it away after a good start. Billings should be dropped, either completely or at least batting 6 or 7, he is so out of form and his shot selection is dire. He tries all the fancy shots that may work when your in form but not on the form he is at the moment. He was out at Beckenham on a reverse sweep and last night seem to want he can play it from the off again - which he couldn't.

I noticed Riley was playing for the seconds, is he still not fit or just behind Quayam at the moment?
  • Options

redman said:

milo said:

I noticed Riley was playing for the seconds, is he still not fit or just behind Quayam at the moment?
    Tredwell is an off spinner like Riley Quayam is a slow left armer so presumably they went for variety.
  • Options
    Thanks for that, @killerandflash.
    redman said:

milo said:

I forgot to add that it was great to speak with a fit and rarin' to go @redman last night !
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

redman said:

milo said:

Tredwell is an off spinner like Riley Quayam is a slow left armer so presumably they went for variety.
    I'm sure Riley and Tredders have both played together before? It's not like a CC game, where they might be bowling long spells anyway

Quayam did well, it'll be interesting who is dropped when Milne returns
  • Options

Flintoff needs to slow down with trying to a be a comedian/Mr Life and soul of the party, who has a funny light hearted quip about everything that unfolds. There's only one Bumble......and he does it with classy controlled style.
    He also needs to calm down in his delivery and not sound so excitable and loud. I was both irritated and embarrassed by his OTT "persona"........which came across as being palpably manufactured for the occasion.

We were shyte by the way.......funnily enough the moment Denly went (cheaply by his current standards), I started to have my doubts.

Absolutely loved him as a player, but I wish he would go back to selling chips.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

redman said:

milo said:

I'm sure Riley and Tredders have both played together before? It's not like a CC game, where they might be bowling long spells anyway

Oh they have played together but Tredders' England pedigree plus theoretically better batting will get him the nod above both of the other two in one dayers unless he completely loses form.

Listening to Adam Rouse on Radio Kent Quayyum has been bowling well in the 2s whereas Riley still seems to be recovering from the abuse of his action by the England coaches a couple of years ago.

• Options

LenGlover said:

redman said:

milo said:

It was unusual for us to play Tredwell and Riley in the same T20 side in previous seasons simply because we usually had Cowdrey in the side as an alternative.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

redman said:

milo said:

It was unusual for us to play Tredwell and Riley in the same T20 side in previous seasons simply because we usually had Cowdrey in the side as an alternative.
    Very good point.

How quickly one forgets...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LenGlover said:

redman said:

milo said:

To be fair, Cowdrey was pretty rubbish though. He might have the name, but was a mediocre cricketer, neither one thing nor another
  • Options

LenGlover said:

redman said:

milo said:

To be fair, Cowdrey was pretty rubbish though. He might have the name, but was a mediocre cricketer, neither one thing nor another
    Thought a lot of himself by all accounts.
  • Options

Thanks for that, @killerandflash.

redman said:

milo said:

I forgot to add that it was great to speak with a fit and rarin' to go @redman last night !
    Great to see you and a recovering Richard as well
  • Options
    Haggett in for Qayyum
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Middlesex batting 6-0 after 1 over
  • Options
    12-0 after 2 overs
  • Options
    23-0 after 3 overs
  • Options
    34-0 off 4 overs. Northeast dropped Mc Cullum in the covers.
  • Options
    52-0 after 6 overs.

Another loss I fear although there is a very short boundary apparently.
  • Options
    Is it just me?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    70-0 off 7.3. Claydon going for 10 an over
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Is it just me?

Nope, appreciated Len - thanks.
  • Options
    83-0 off 9 overs. Claydon 4 overs for 42!
  • Options
    Scorecard cock up!

Claydon 2 overs for 21. Haggett 2 overs for 21!
  • Options
    Tredders puts the brakes on in the tenth conceding just two runs. 85-0
  • Options
    Finally a wicket! Malan c Billings b Coles 33

92-1 off 10.4 overs
  • Options
    103-1 off 11.1. Tredders just gone for six!
  • Options
    107-1 at the end of over 12
  • Options
    125-1 off 13
  • Options
    125-2 wicket for Tredders. Not McCullum unfortunately!