Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2017

The Sussex tail is as good bad as the top five, @LenGlover. The team is full of number 7 batsmen. The key man is yet to bat - Jofra Archer at 10 is very useful. Can you get that foot off my neck now, please :smiley:

corrected :smile:
  • Options
    So do we make them follow on 205 behind?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

So do we make them follow on 205 behind?

Sussex batted less than half the overs Kent did!

A nice session after tea, then come back refreshed tomorrow, before going to Matt Coles' for a bbq on Monday :smile:
  • Options
    Harris is on a hat-trick whenever he bowls next
  • Options
    We didn't enforce the follow on, surprising, but then we still have 2 full days and the weather forecast is decent
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I can only assume Kent fancy some batting practice or that they want the gate money from a sunny Bank Holiday. 372 for 2 declared at tea tomorrow.

Actually, I suspect they are working on the fact that Sussex were bowling from Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon, all day yesterday, briefly this morning and think there are some easy runs. They are probably right.
  • Options
    Good stuff. Stevens, can we take a DNA sample please and hand over to some scientists to clone you?
  • Options
    Kent 253-2 a lead of 458.

When should we declare? Our score suggests that the pitch is playing OK but I think I'd declare once the lead is 500 which will give us 5 sessions to bowl them out.

If they chase down 500 plus good luck to them. They deserve it.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I think Kent should declare when they have a lead of 700. After all, Sussex score 668 earlier this week. Best to be careful, Kent.
  • Options
    258-2 at lunch a lead of 463. I wonder if @Fanny Fanackapan is watching? She's moved quite near Tunbridge Wells I believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still batting, Sam is obviously a member of the Alastair Cook school of declaring with mammoth leads!
  • Options
    Declared at 298-2, a lead of 503. SNE stranded himself on 46no :smile:
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Sussex 6-1 Finch lbw b Coles 5
  • Options
    Sussex 10-3
  • Options
    2 wickets for Coles and 1 for Stevens so far...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Sussex 10-3

Only 494 needed for victory
  • Options
    Sussex are starting to knock Stevens all round the ground now.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Tunbridge Wells is a small ground in first class cricket terms and well over 300 runs in a day is not unusual hence the need to set 500 plus as the target. Anywhere else 400 might have been considered enough.

Kent need to break this partnership. I'd try Denly myself.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Kent need to break this partnership. I'd try Denly myself.

Relax, @LenGlover. This is Sussex batting not a team packed with Root, Stokes et al. 500 is plenty. I'll get a hat out of the loft just in case I have to eat it when Sussex have 350 on the board.
  • Options
    Denly with the breakthrough lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Denly with another. He could get five. He could get six!
  • Options
    Worcestershire steaming to their target as well, mind you. Promotion won't come easy :)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Worcestershire steaming to their target as well, mind you. Promotion won't come easy :)

And guess which county Worcestershire play next Friday?
  • Options
    Jofra Leather-Chase* more like

*this isn't even a pun haha
  • Options
    The chance of some rain later today, I hope Kent don't regret not enforcing the follow on
  • Options

The chance of some rain later today, I hope Kent don't regret not enforcing the follow on

Ah, but think of the extra gate money :smile:
  • Options

I was thinking along the same lines. Having said that, Sussex will have the worst of the wicket and had Wells batted like he did in the last match following on (258) we wouldn't even be batting now.

If we can't get the last 4 wickets from say an absolute minimum of 50 overs (and that assumes that we lose more than a couple of hours play) then we don't deserve to win. Mind you, their no. 10 has an even better first class average than ours (34.83) and even Briggs at 11 is no mug (16.46).

How times have moved on - to think we used to have the likes of John Dye (6.37) and Norman Graham (3.84) bringing up the rear for us in the 70s.
  • Options

I was thinking along the same lines. Having said that, Sussex will have the worst of the wicket and had Wells batted like he did in the last match following on (258) we wouldn't even be batting now.

If we can't get the last 4 wickets from say an absolute minimum of 50 overs (and that assumes that we lose more than a couple of hours play) then we don't deserve to win. Mind you, their no. 10 has an even better first class average than ours (34.83) and even Briggs at 11 is no mug (16.46).

How times have moved on - to think we used to have the likes of John Dye (6.37) and Norman Graham (3.84) bringing up the rear for us in the 70s.
    Norman Graham and, I think, John Dye both took more wickets for us than they scored runs. Kevin Jarvis probably comes into that category too.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Norman Graham and, I think, John Dye both took more wickets for us than they scored runs. Kevin Jarvis probably comes into that category too.
    This all stems from the players' development at an early age - nowadays, unless you are express pace and/or a Murali, there is an expectation that you will be able to bat to a degree. The current no. 11 in the Kent U14 side for example, bats in the top 3 at his club and three years ago scored 300 runs for them at an average of 75.That's not to say that he would be a top 6 bat at county level but it does demonstrate that he has a level of capability.
  • Options
    On other hand you wouldn't pick opening batsmen on the basis of their bowling skills!

I think the one day game is the reason for this emphasis on batting down the order, and especially in T20. It always struck me as unfair that a world class batsman can open and potentially bat all 20 overs, whereas the world class bowler can only bowl 4!