Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gig spy

Comments

• Blossoms coming up at Brixton.  Thought they were excellent at Glasto (saw that on the TV, not live).
    I've seen them supporting a couple of times.
    I find them a bit meh.
    I went to the gig last night, i was disspointed tbh (they did sound great at Glasto). So bizarre having Mel C come on and do a Spice Girls song and so unnecessary. There should be a disclaimer on the ticket, it's like when James Cordon pops up at a Coldplay gig.

At one point there were nine, maybe more musicians on stage. I really like their latest record, but a lot of their tunes sound very similar live.
  • Pete Tong and Essential Orchestra Club Classics at O2 last night. 

Always good to hear club tunes played live with an orchestra and the main singers were fantastic. 

Becky Hill and Beverley Knight also did a few tunes and they have got great live voices too. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Pete Tong and Essential Orchestra Club Classics at O2 last night. 

Always good to hear club tunes played live with an orchestra and the main singers were fantastic. 

Becky Hill and Beverley Knight also did a few tunes and they have got great live voices too. 
    Yep. I went last night and absolutely loved it. He changed it up quite a bit this year as well. 
  • edited December 2022
    PopIcon said:
    Blossoms coming up at Brixton.  Thought they were excellent at Glasto (saw that on the TV, not live).
    I find them a bit meh.
    I went to the gig last night, i was disspointed tbh (they did sound great at Glasto). So bizarre having Mel C come on and do a Spice Girls song and so unnecessary. There should be a disclaimer on the ticket, it's like when James Cordon pops up at a Coldplay gig.

At one point there were nine, maybe more musicians on stage. I really like their latest record, but a lot of their tunes sound very similar live.
    Eight in the band and a random extra guitarist for two or three tracks; the audience loved Mel C, admittedly with at least one noted exception, and Rick Astley so I’m fine with that. At least they got the Spice Girl who can actually sing. A couple of tracks in the middle of the set sounded a bit sludgy, but overall I really enjoyed it as did MsAA. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Blossoms coming up at Brixton.  Thought they were excellent at Glasto (saw that on the TV, not live).
    I find them a bit meh.

I want to like Blossoms and can feel the potential, but like Charlton they just seem to fall short for me. 
  • Was supposed to be seeing The Who do an acoustic set at a charity Christmas show in a Chelsea church next Tuesday but they've had to pull out. Am gutted but the planned train strike would have made it a ball-ache for me to get there.
  • PopIcon said:
    I find them a bit meh.

Eight in the band and a random extra guitarist for two or three tracks; the audience loved Mel C, admittedly with at least one noted exception, and Rick Astley so I’m fine with that. At least they got the Spice Girl who can actually sing. A couple of tracks in the middle of the set sounded a bit sludgy, but overall I really enjoyed it as did MsAA. 
    The crowd would have 'loved' Black Lace coming on for a megamix of agadoo, Superman and gangbang! When Tom Ogden asked if there were any Spice Girls fans in the crowd and everyone went mad I knew the cut of their jib.

Rick Astley doing Smiths covers is quirky, two thousand men screaming at the top of their lungs that they are Spice Girls fans is just weird.

It's a gig I had been looking forward to for a long time, I still really like Ribbon around the Bomb, but I think I'd give them a swerve next time they come to London.
  • Took my daughter to see Placebo at Brixton last Sunday. They were pretty good. Going to see The Reytons at The Electric Ballroom on 10/12.

Also saw Declan Welsh and The Decadent West at The Camden Assembly a couple of weeks ago. He was really good. Massive in Scotland and just starting to break down here.

On our way back from The Reytons in Brighton, second time we've seen them, absolutely love them. We booked tonight to avoid the potential QF, see they are delaying until the game is over tomorrow, going to be a mad one when they come on if we win, enjoy
  • Can't wait for The Cure on Sunday @ Wembley Arena. Seen them loads of times, always brilliant & talk about value for money. 27 songs in a 2.75 hours set. 
  • The Cure's set list spent too long on new songs & less popular songs.
    2nd encore was great. 

We came out to a bed of snow & all trains cancelled from Char X & only the last train running from Victoria, which I caught.

Mate got a night bus to Bexleyheath & was home by the time my 00.40 was leaving Victoria.

He was the only person on the bus and it stormed down the A2. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw The Reytons at The Electric Ballroom on Saturday. They delayed the doors and stage times to fit in with the football.

They are a great band, but fuck me they are followed by some absolute wankers. Loads of pissed up 40 & 50 somethings properly giving it. I guess part of it was all day football drinking, but not something I have ever really witnessed at a gig before.
  • Loads of reduced tickets on Twickets for The Cure at Wembley Arena tomorrow.
  • The Cure's set list spent too long on new songs & less popular songs.
    2nd encore was great. 

We came out to a bed of snow & all trains cancelled from Char X & only the last train running from Victoria, which I caught.

Mate got a night bus to Bexleyheath & was home by the time my 00.40 was leaving Victoria.

He was the only person on the bus and it stormed down the A2. 
    Thought they were superb as usual. 

They have so many songs it’s impossible to please everyone. 

Do you know if this was the last tour? He (they) feel like they’ve got years left in them yet, if they want it.

Did you see The Twilight Sad? I thought they were very good for the few songs I saw.

I had parked on a locals drive, back to Maidstone about 1am. Drive up was dicey though in the snow on the M25.
  • There are plenty of rumours that it's their last tour, but nothing concrete.
    I listened to a few The Twilight Sad songs in advance and we decided to stay in the pub.
    We went to The White Horse, a newish pub, bang opposite the Arena.
    £5.50 a pint of Amstel, so cheaper than I expected.
    Long live Robert Smith.
  • The Rifles last night. Brilliant as always. Koko is a lovely venue but they could do with sorting their drains out!

Up to Birmingham today for The Twang, seen them many times but never the big Christmas hometown bash. Crap drive up but here now. The excellent JAWS in support so looking forward to them again aswell
  • Chords UK doing a free gig at the Pelton Arms on Dec 17th.
    Did you end up going? I couldn’t make it unfortunately.
  • Chords UK doing a free gig at the Pelton Arms on Dec 17th.
    Did you end up going? I couldn’t make it unfortunately.
    Couldn't make it either.
  • edited March 2023
    Got 2 tickets for Panic at the disco for Monday night, at the O2 for herself and my daughter. Unable to attend due to my aunt passing away yesterday in Ireland, funeral is on Sunday, won’t be back until Wednesday. If anyone wants a 2 for 1 tickets, pm me.
  • I've been thinking about going to see Death Cab for Cutie at The Roundhouse on Tuesday 28th March(or maybe Brighton on Monday 27th).

Seeing as my two friends who would normally be interested in this cannot make it, I wonder if there are any Charlton Death Cab for Cutie fans who might be up for it. 
    ???
    Standing and seating tickets are still available if anyone is interested. We could meet up in a pub beforehand and chat Charlton and Death Cab if nothing else.
  • At the 100 Club last night to meet friends for my birthday and celebrate International Women's Day.  Four acts for £8 couldn't be sneezed at.

Andrea Black played guitar and sang her self-penned sort-of-folk.  Competent but I wouldn't be bothered about seeing her again.

Delta Unit (https://www.facebook.com/DELTAUNITUK/) played some fun stuff.  It was better when the front woman concentrated on her singing and didn't play guitar, too.

Third up was Merry McCloud (https://www.facebook.com/MerryMcCloudBand/) with a guitarist.  Both were excellent and she has a stupendous voice.

Headlining was Holly Penfield (https://www.hollypenfield.live/) fronting a really tight band.  A bit rhythm 'n' blues, a bit straight rock, overall really entertaining.

I'd catch either of the last two again.
  • Sponsored links:

• At the 100 Club last night to meet friends for my birthday and celebrate International Women's Day.  Four acts for £8 couldn't be sneezed at.

Andrea Black played guitar and sang her self-penned sort-of-folk.  Competent but I wouldn't be bothered about seeing her again.

Delta Unit (https://www.facebook.com/DELTAUNITUK/) played some fun stuff.  It was better when the front woman concentrated on her singing and didn't play guitar, too.

Third up was Merry McCloud (https://www.facebook.com/MerryMcCloudBand/) with a guitarist.  Both were excellent and she has a stupendous voice.

Headlining was Holly Penfield (https://www.hollypenfield.live/) fronting a really tight band.  A bit rhythm 'n' blues, a bit straight rock, overall really entertaining.

I'd catch either of the last two again.
    And forgot to mention, Spizzenergi (he of Where's Capt Kirk? https://youtu.be/W1sju0GFJCA fame) made a guest appearance for Delta Unit.  He really needn't have bothered.
  • Surely if an all-male band are to sing such a song it should be for Intergalactic Men's Day not International Women's Day?
  • Larkin Poe last Sunday. Excellent band if you like you blues electric. 
    I love Larkin Poe - great music.
    First time I’d seen them, I first found them dying the lockdown. I was impressed. One of those bands that sounds even better live. 
    First time I’d seen them, I first found them dying the lockdown. I was impressed. One of those bands that sounds even better live. 
    On at the Roundhouse in October - I need to book tickets.
  • I saw Slow Readers Club at Lafayette. They are all decent musicians with decent songs but nothing stands out. Ok but a bit disappointed.
  • edited March 2023
    Devo farewell tour, Hammersmith in June.

Got my tickets.
  • The Comet is Coming last Tuesday in Southampton. Not seen anything quite like it before, sax, keyboards and drums playing rock/free jazz fusion with drum and bass influences. Much recommended.
  • Going to see Roger Daltrey next Sunday at the RAH for the last of the Teenage Cancer Trust gigs this year. Richard Ashcroft, Joan Armatrading and Kelly Jones new band as support. Should be a good night.