Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gig spy

Comments

• Options
    If I can, I'll be at the final gig of Hangover Tuesday in Javea on Friday.  Old guys rule 😎
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    I have just got home from the FOCUS gig at Chislehurst.
    :star::star::star::star::star:
    I've been to numerous FOCUS gigs over the years, but this one topped them all.
    They have a new(ish) recruit - Udo Pannekeet - on bass guitar. He plays a six-string, giving sound from the rumbling depths up into the alto peaks. This, allied with the huge range of the Hammond organ, and flutes - performed by the amazing and ever-green Thijs van Leer - and the mesmerising spatial effects of the lead guitarist - Menno Gootjes - are quite wonderful. Then add a world-class drummer in Pierre van der Linden.
    A splendid quartet, I reckon.
    They played non-stop for nearly two hours. £15 entry. Worth every penny.
    @PragueAddick I apologised to FOCUS about the mess that is BrFuxit.
    The international language of music transcends ugly politics.
    Buzzing. I doubt if I'll see a better band of musicians.

I think a friend has got me a ticket to see them at Under The Bridge when I'm in London in October. Yor review has made me look forward to it more.
    I've seen a few gigs advertised at Under The Bridge recently, so I looked it up.
    It's under Stamford Bridge, so they can fook right off.

I'm Going to see Blancmange there next month , a mate of mine ( Fulham supporter) refuses to set foot in the place . 

A Fulham supporting friend of mine has the same childish attitude. Apparently it's a great venue.

Not childish, I'm with Covered End.

I'd not go to a gig if an event was stage in a lounge at Sainsburys or Spannerville.
    Under The Bridge is nothing like a lounge at Sainsburys and has no reference to Chelsea FC inside at all. It is a great small venue with two decent sized bars stocked with a great variety of beers, plus (as someone else mentioned) loads of music memorabilia dotted around the place. Cutting your nose off to spite your face if you miss out on a decent band just because of where the venue is too.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    They have a new(ish) recruit - Udo Pannekeet - on bass guitar. He plays a six-string, giving sound from the rumbling depths up into the alto peaks. This, allied with the huge range of the Hammond organ, and flutes - performed by the amazing and ever-green Thijs van Leer - and the mesmerising spatial effects of the lead guitarist - Menno Gootjes - are quite wonderful. Then add a world-class drummer in Pierre van der Linden.

I think a friend has got me a ticket to see them at Under The Bridge when I'm in London in October. Yor review has made me look forward to it more.
    I've seen a few gigs advertised at Under The Bridge recently, so I looked it up.

I'm Going to see Blancmange there next month , a mate of mine ( Fulham supporter) refuses to set foot in the place . 

A Fulham supporting friend of mine has the same childish attitude. Apparently it's a great venue.

I'd not go to a gig if an event was stage in a lounge at Sainsburys or Spannerville.
    Under The Bridge is nothing like a lounge at Sainsburys and has no reference to Chelsea FC inside at all. It is a great small venue with two decent sized bars stocked with a great variety of beers, plus (as someone else mentioned) loads of music memorabilia dotted around the place. Cutting your nose off to spite your face if you miss out on a decent band just because of where the venue is too.
    Who owns Under The Bridge, who makes the profit ?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Next gig is Polish stoners Belzebong with French band The Necromancers at the Lounge in Camden next Sunday.
    How do people get to know about such bands?!?

Personally I have no gigs lined up until I see Eritrea’s premier prog-jazz-thrash-choral quintet.....the Disfunctional Gourds at the Red Lion in Asmara in July. 

I get e-mails/tweets/messages from bands or record labels or the venues themselves. ;)
  • Options
    Doves, The Coral and Fernweh at Royal Albert Hall tonight....
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

I see it as a bit like going to an away game. My musical equivalent of Charlton are playing there so I go to see them.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

I see it as a bit like going to an away game. My musical equivalent of Charlton are playing there so I go to see them.
    No problem, but I don't think I could.
    The Valley 11th April 1977 is too fresh in the memory :-)
  • Options
    Going to see Glenn Hughes of Deep Purple tonight.
  • Options
    Dream Theater tonight.  Playing the new album and the Metropolis Pt.2. 

Never seen them do Metropolis before. It’s my favorite, so looking forward to this. 
  • Options
    I was fortunate enough to win two tickets to see Clean Bandit play a charity gig at a small venue, Omeara, near Borough Market. The whole audience was there by way of a £5 draw ticket. It made for a strange mix of audience. I've seen them before, both more recently and when they were unknown, and thought they were a good act live even though they are not really my sort of thing. Success has meant that they have become a bit more 'poppy'. Still, for a fiver, it was a good evening's entertainment at a small venue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dream Theater tonight.  Playing the new album and the Metropolis Pt.2. 

Never seen them do Metropolis before. It’s my favorite, so looking forward to this. 
    DT were excellent, although the vocals didn’t seem to be mixed right. 

Tonight its Muse at the Boston Garden.
  • Options
    Spiritualized last week in Vancouver, best show i have seen them play for a while - love the new LP.

The Grateful Shred tonight, a really good Dead cover band - freshen things up and the light show is awesome. If you like The GD check out this band - seriously good, as are their alter egos Mapache - a fine upcoming LA band.

• Options
    Because I thought the tickets were too expensive, this is the only time in years I didn't go to see a Todd Rundgren London show. Having seen the clips, I wish I bloody had now.
  • Options
    We saw That Manchester Night (for a bit of cheap fun £23).
    Clone Roses, Oashis and The Smiths Limited at Shepherds Bush Empire.
    Far better than we were expecting, they were excellent 10/10.
  • Options
    Selling 2 tickets to see the The Specials at O2 academy Brixton, 17th May. Face value.

That's the date of the play-off second leg, hence the sale.

(Admin feel free to remove if not ok to post)
  • Options
    Saw The Joneses, smiths tribute band, Pelton Arms, Greenwich, Good Friday with a few other Charlton chaps, top night
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Selling 2 tickets to see the The Specials at O2 academy Brixton, 17th May. Face value.

Have the games actually been allocated yet @Croydon?  I thought the 2nd legs were on the Thursday (16th) and Friday (17th), but which one we get hasn’t been decided yet.  I’ve got tickets for the Thursday gig, but also Saturday at Kentish Town.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Croydon said:

Have the games actually been allocated yet @Croydon?  I thought the 2nd legs were on the Thursday (16th) and Friday (17th), but which one we get hasn’t been decided yet.  I’ve got tickets for the Thursday gig, but also Saturday at Kentish Town.
    So I thought it had been (going by the thread on here), but according to the below link the EFL make the decision once the teams are known. I'll sit tight til then!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/league-one-play-offs-semi-16186747.amp
  • Options
    Blancmange at under the bridge , Neil Arthur is a very charismatic front man , very funny and voice sounds great , some great quirky songs from the new album Wunderlust and a fair sprinkling of the old favourites , he has been very prolific in the last few years with a lot of new releases and collaborations . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw Idlewild at the Forum on Friday.  Hadn't seen them since they reformed and really liked their new sound.  They've backed off the folkrock and gone more full on instead.  A good night, apart from the egregious selfietwats that seemed to be everywhere and the support, Liela Moss, was a bit dull. 

Last Saturday went to a Japanese idol show at the Water Rats.  Quite an interesting bill.  Garuda was a mad nail studded baseball bat wielding metal screamer, wearing a sort of plague mask and crow wings.  2& (double and) was a more straightforward pop idol.

14th Generation Toilet Hanako San was the highlight of the night.  She plays the character of a 400 year old ghost of a girl that had her head cut off and has been haunting toilets ever since.  Halfway through the set she stops to spray the audience, spitting tomato juice 'blood', all over the place and singling out a few 'lucky' individuals to splatter them with ketchup , mayonnaise, brown sauce, flour etc.     Only in Japan...      

• Options
    Blondie tribute at The Beaverwood this Thursday. Highly recommended
  • Options
    Just back from seeing KT Tunstall. Always a great show. 
  • Options
    Saw IDLES in Nijmegen, Holland.  My current fav band, recommended
  • Options
    Going to Slam Dunk festival in Leeds on Saturday, looking forward to seeing the Interrupters, Tiny Moving Parts, Anti-Flag and my perennial faves the Get Up Kids. Hopefully won’t be home too late because up early on Sunday to travel down to Wembley. Not sure my old bones can handle such a busy weekend.
  • Options

Peter Murphy, former frontman of goth rock group Bauhaus, has suffered a heart attack.

In a statement posted to Murphy’s Instagram, his management confirmed that the 62-year-old star was admitted to a New York hospital after experiencing “shortness of breath” and was later determined to have had a heart attack.

As a result, several dates in Murphy’s New York residency at music venue Le Poisson Rouge have been postponed. “Sadly, Peter is physically unable to perform the remaining shows in the Residency series (August 15th, 16th, 18th, and 19th),” the statement read. “These shows will be postponed to later dates to be determined.” Ticket holders have been offered transfers to a new date, or a refund on their tickets.

• Options

Peter Murphy, former frontman of goth rock group Bauhaus, has suffered a heart attack.

In a statement posted to Murphy’s Instagram, his management confirmed that the 62-year-old star was admitted to a New York hospital after experiencing “shortness of breath” and was later determined to have had a heart attack.

As a result, several dates in Murphy’s New York residency at music venue Le Poisson Rouge have been postponed. “Sadly, Peter is physically unable to perform the remaining shows in the Residency series (August 15th, 16th, 18th, and 19th),” the statement read. “These shows will be postponed to later dates to be determined.” Ticket holders have been offered transfers to a new date, or a refund on their tickets.

Saw him at the academy recently on the 40 year diamond tour. Spritely for a 62 year old. 
    Always loved Bauhaus. Hope for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    Steve Harley Acoustic Trio .. on at Louth (near me) Town Hall next Friday .. any1 seen then, can recommend (or condemn) them ?